• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hotel Infinity paradox (your brain will hurt, promise)

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Right. And the wiki mentions this

These cases demonstrate the 'paradox', by which we mean not that it is contradictory, but rather that a counter-intuitive result is provably true:

The only head fucky thing about this hotel is that the person even thought about it in the first instance.

I thought it's common knowledge that infinity functions in this way, a demonstration like this is pointless.

Is this not the kind of thing people had discussions/arguments about as children when people used to say things like " I double dare you times infinite" and some other kid says " infinity + 1"

Maybe before you go making assumptions you should read what I wrote. I said most, not all. Rooms take up space, I don't know how you think there can be an unoccupied room every time someone walks in. I don't know where you're getting this magically gets extra rooms from either, the rooms were already there.

Your shitting me right?

By it's very definition a place with infinite amount of rooms would take up an infinite amount of space.

The only way to achieve that would be with a hotel that expanded as necessary, it doesn't even need to be magical the infinite amount of people could be building the hotel as more people come in.

If an infinite amount of rooms were already pre-existing then the place would have to be magical in order to exist, I.E not actually taking up any space at all.

Last edited:

Benetanegia

I don't know how you think there can be an unoccupied room every time someone walks in. I don't know where you're getting this magically gets extra rooms from either, the rooms were already there.

Yes and no. That's the paradox of infinity itself.

Now regarding the OP:

The paradox of the hotel is silly. If there's any problem at all when the bus arrives, there's absolutely no way the infinite hotel would have been filled. So since the paradox establishes that the hotel is already filled with an infinte amount of people, we can safely assume that the infinte amount of people from the bus will get to their room in the exact same way the other amount of infinte people did before.

Of course another way to look at it is that the infinite hotel can never be full, because you can not fill infinite with any finite number, and that's what the paradox in the video is proposing.

This is where panther is 100% right.

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
The only head fucky thing about this hotel is that the person even thought about it in the first instance.

I thought it's common knowledge that infinity functions in this way, a demonstration like this is pointless.

Is this not the kind of thing people had discussions/arguments about as children when people used to say things like " I double dare you times infinite" and some other kid says " infinity + 1"

Maybe I was just a weird kid, also went through the " am I real" sort of questions in my head very young too.

Your shitting me right?

By it's very definition a place with infinite amount of rooms would take up an infinite amount of space.

The only way to achieve that would be with a hotel that expanded as necessary, it doesn't even need to be magical the infinite amount of people could be building the hotel as more people come in.

So you're actually treating this as if it existed? I thought it was rather self explanatory that it could never actually exist and that it was just something to think about.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
So you're actually treating this as if it existed? I thought it was rather self explanatory that it could never actually exist and that it was just something to think about.

The Universe = The Hotel.

Infinite amount of space =/= Infinite amount of rooms

Hell even humans are technically infinite ( until we all die out anyway)

Our numbers are ever increasing without limit ( if we expand to areas outside of this planet)

It seems you've not thought about infinity all to much*, where as I've wasted many a sleepless night already ha ha

Like I said, I spent my childhood going through this sort of thing : ]

* This is not designed to be an insult in anyway, infinity is a pretty pointless albeit very interesting subject.

People not wasting their time on it is probably a good thing.

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Display(s) acer H243H
Audio Device(s) Nada
Software Windows 7 Pro
The Universe = The Hotel.

Infinite amount of space =/= Infinite amount of rooms

Hell even humans are technically infinite ( until we all die out anyway)

Our numbers are ever increasing without limit ( if we expand to areas outside of this planet)

I would die before I walked to the other end of the universe. I'm not even sure if a human could walk around the earth in a lifetime. Assuming that there was no water in the way.

Yes, you could spend forever thinking about infinity. :laugh:

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Display(s) acer H243H
Audio Device(s) Nada
Software Windows 7 Pro
Unless you were travelling as close as posible to the speed of light. To be precise at v = c - 1/infinity.

Even at light speed. I have about 50-60 years left if I'm lucky. I wouldn't make it across the universe in that short of time.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
What I don't understand is the concept of adding an infinite amount of people to an already infinite amount of people. It's like multiplying infinity by two, you get infinity regardless.

Yes you do, that's why it's weird. I've a slight headache...

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
Unless you were travelling as close as posible to the speed of light. To be precise at v = c - 1/infinity.

He still wouldn't even get close though XD

From here the end of the observable universe is about 45 billion light-years away or something crazy.

And there's still more beyond that !

Benetanegia

Even at light speed. I have about 50-60 years left if I'm lucky. I wouldn't make it across the universe in that short of time.

Time dilation. Yes universe is (almost) infinite, so even at speed of light it would take you an (almost) infinite amount of time, based on any frame of reference other than yourself. For you it would only be 50 years, or only 1, who knows, depends on how close to c you could travel and how much your time was dilated.

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Display(s) acer H243H
Audio Device(s) Nada
Software Windows 7 Pro
Time dilation. Yes universe is (almost) infinite, so even at speed of light it would take you an (almost) infinite amount of time, based on any frame of reference other than yourself. For you it would only be 50 years, or only 1, who knows, depends on how close to c you could travel and how much your time was dilated.

I'll let you know when I get there. :laugh:

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Read up on Cantor's work on cardinal numbers.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
here is another headfu*K for ya

whats the square root of infinity

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten

Isn't the general consensus that if a person were to travel at light speed their time would be experienced as per normal how ever an observer not travelling at light speed would be experiencing time 7* times faster than the person at light speed?

* May of got number wrong

I tell you what I really wish I didn't have difficulties with words, I'm not sure if what I wrote just then will make any sense to anyone else lol.

So to put it simply.

If I travelled at light speed for one year I'd of aged 1 year but all my friends back on earth would of aged 7 years.

System Name Desktop|| Virtual Host 0
Processor Intel Core i5 2500-K @ 4.3ghz || 2x Xeon L5630 (total 8 cores, 16 threads)
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V || Dell PowerEdge R710 (Intel 5520 chipset)
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100 || Stock hotplug fans and passive heatsinks
Memory 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 || 12x4gb Hynix DDR3 1066 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 760 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB OC || Don't know, don't care
Storage Hitachi 7K3000 2TB || 6x300gb 15k rpm SAS internal hotswap, 12x3tb Seagate NAS drives in enclosure
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2349S || remote iDRAC KVM console
Case Antec P280 || Dell PowerEdge R710
Audio Device(s) HRT MusicStreamer II+ and Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 || Don't know, don't care
Power Supply SeaSonic X650 Gold || 2x870w hot-swappable
Mouse Logitech G500 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Keyboard Logitech G510 || remote iDRAC KVM console
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 || VMware vSphere 6.0 with vCenter Server 6.0
Benchmark Scores Over 9000 on the scouter
Everybody, all your answers are right here, in this guy's head:

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten

Benetanegia

Isn't the general consensus that if a person were to travel at light speed their time would be experienced as per normal how ever an observer not travelling at light speed would be experiencing time 7* times faster than the person at light speed?

* May of got number wrong

I tell you what I really wish I didn't have difficulties with words, I'm not sure if what I wrote just then will make any sense to anyone else lol.

So to put it simply.

If I travelled at light speed for one year I'd of aged 1 year but all my friends back on earth would of aged 7 years.

No, time dilation approaches infinity as v gets close to c.

Where did you hear that anyway?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
infinity is an abstract concept and does not exist in the physical universe, so linking infinity and physical things leads to paradoxes because the underlying assumption is wrong (that something physical an be infinite)

it doesn't stop you from doing math with it of course

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
No, time dilation approaches infinity as v gets close to c.

Where did you hear that anyway?

TBH man I'm not entirely certain, it was quite some time ago when I was still at school and expecting to get a career in the field of science.

Then I got kicked out of school :laugh:

Since then a lot of stuff has kind of dissolved away in my mind, it's not that I'm no longer interested it's just a whole lot easier to study when amongst peers, and all to easy to procrastinate when your by yourself.

Sorry for off topic post :laugh: But I felt a simple " I don't know" didn't really suffice because I thought I knew.

I think being up for 24 hours isn't helping me remember though so I'll sleep on it, perhaps ask my dad if he has ever heard of the same figures he might be able to point me in the right direction or tell me I'm thinking of something entirely different :p

Only because the light we get is ancient so it would seem closer where as it is actually around 45 billion light years away : ]

( since the universe is expanding)

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html#DN

Yes right. The 13.7 b ly is a static radius, beyond that it can get up to 47 billion light years and more. Due to accelerated expansion of space-time and the finiteness of speed of light what we see isn't actually the present events. That's why there are terms comoving distance and proper distance.

http://universe-review.ca/F02-cosmicbg.htm

In that article they say that radius of the universe is 10^28 cm, and that universe has 10^11 galaxies, 10^21 stars, 10^78 atoms, 10^88 photons.

p.s. Many scientists wonder why speed of light is 3e8 m/s and not infinity. If particle can have zero mass why it can't have infinite velocity. Or 3e8 is some kind of "infinity" for speed.

Last edited:

Benetanegia

p.s. Many scientists wonder why speed of light is 3e8 km/s and not infinity. If particle can have zero mass why it can't have infinite velocity. Or 3e8 is some kind of "infinity" for speed.

That's true for every universal constant I think.

Personally I've always considered that our universe is "moving" or "falling" along 1 or various temporal dimensions. Something like a 2 dimension plane falling flat in the 3rd dimension if you get what I mean.

So since "time" is accelerating at a very fast rate, nothing can reach infinite speed and instead can only travel at a set speed. Mathematically it's like an infinity minus infinity, or infinity divided by infinity situation.

EDIT: Another explanation. Our universe (the one that is apparent to us) is the n-th dimensional equivalent of an "sphere". Just like gravity is (almost) constant throughout the surface of Earth, speed of light is constant within the surface of our "spherical" universe.

What I mean when I say spherical universe is not literally a sphere, but that such as a sphere in a 3d cartesian coordinate system is defined as:

x^2+y^2+z^2= r^2, where r is the radius

for our universe it would be:

x1^2+x2^2+...+xn^2 = r^2, where n is the number of dimensions that the universe really has and r is a constant yet to be discovered.

Now to complicate things even more, I don't think the universe would be an sphere (remember what I really mean by sphere), but some kind of elipsoid. Same concept, various constants.

Last edited:
System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Display(s) acer H243H
Audio Device(s) Nada
Software Windows 7 Pro
TBH man I'm not entirely certain, it was quite some time ago when I was still at school and expecting to get a career in the field of science.

Then I got kicked out of school :laugh:

Since then a lot of stuff has kind of dissolved away in my mind, it's not that I'm no longer interested it's just a whole lot easier to study when amongst peers, and all to easy to procrastinate when your by yourself.

Sorry for off topic post :laugh: But I felt a simple " I don't know" didn't really suffice because I thought I knew.

I think being up for 24 hours isn't helping me remember though so I'll sleep on it, perhaps ask my dad if he has ever heard of the same figures he might be able to point me in the right direction or tell me I'm thinking of something entirely different :p

I think that you are talking about gravity's effect on time where people on earth age faster than people in space. I have heard that, but I am far from an expert on this shit.

So since "time" is accelerating at a very fast rate, nothing can reach infinite speed and instead can only travel at a set speed. Mathematically it's like an infinity minus infinity, or infinity divided by infinity situation.

Yes and it's strange because all we see isn't just changing in time but also in space. Like Sagan said if we had a magic camera that could take "immediate" shots (with infinite velocity) then we could see the real events (ears on photo would appear later than nose).

Even tho the "speed of gravity" seems to be infinite/immediate otherwise if gravity propogated with slower speed every galaxy would fall part.

http://metaresearch.org/cosmology/speed_of_gravity.asp

But some say it's just too fast (maybe x10^10 or more faster than speed of light) but finite. Go figure ...