• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hotel Infinity paradox (your brain will hurt, promise)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Even tho the "speed of gravity" seems to be infinite/immediate otherwise if gravity propogated with slower speed every galaxy would fall part.

Gravity propagates at the speed of light.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
lol at the posts about infinity

Gravity propagates at the speed of light.

Yes general relativity says so. But it's confusing just like a spooky action at a distance.

In Einstein's theory of general relativity gravitational interaction is mediated by deformation of space-time geometry. Matter warps the geometry of space-time and these effects are, as with electric and magnetic fields, propagated at the speed of light. In Einstein's theory of motion, matter acts upon space-time geometry, deforming it, and space-time geometry acts upon matter.

Actually gravity cheats. It acts immediately because of the curvature of space-time. And even tho its speed is finite (c) it acts faster than light. In quantum mechanics word "faster" means using a shorter route, not having a faster velocity. Cosmic laziness, Geodesic Lines, Non-Euclidean Geometry and all that jazz .... you know.

The speed of gravitational waves in the general theory of relativity is equal to the speed of light in vacuum, c. Within the theory of special relativity, the constant c is not exclusively about light; instead it is the highest possible speed for any physical interaction in nature. Formally, c is a conversion factor for changing the unit of time to the unit of space. This makes it the only speed which does not depend either on the motion of an observer or a source of light and/or gravity. Thus, the speed of "light" is also the speed of gravitational waves and any massless particle. Such particles include the gluon (carrier of the strong force), the photons that light waves consist of, and the theoretical gravitons which make up the associated field particles of gravity (a theory of the graviton requires a theory of quantum gravity, however).

To get the answer we need to know all the theories: General Relativity, Special Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Gravity Theory, Theory of Everything, M-Theory, Expanding Space-Time Theory, Supersymmetry, String theory (D-Branes), Unified field theory. Unfortunately the current status of all these theories is incomplete.

for our universe it would be:

x1^2+x2^2+...+xn^2 = r^2, where n is the number of dimensions that the universe really has and r is a constant yet to be discovered.

Now to complicate things even more, I don't think the universe would be an sphere (remember what I really mean by sphere), but some kind of elipsoid. Same concept, various constants.

Ellipsoid has different r along each axis (for 3D it's a, b, c when a=b=c it's sphere), in that case for every dimension there has to be a separate r.

String theory and supersymmetry theory say that our universe is 10D. After the Big Bang 3 dimensions grew bigger but other extra 7 dimensions remained tiny, hence undetectable.

I digress but here's an interesting snip:

Gravity can be properly localized to a sub-spacetime. Gravity acting in the hidden dimensions affects other non-gravitational forces such as electromagnetism. In fact, Kaluza's early work demonstrated that general relativity in five dimensions actually predicts the existence of electromagnetism. However, because of the nature of Calabi–Yau manifolds, no new forces appear from the small dimensions, but their shape has a profound effect on how the forces between the strings appear in our four-dimensional universe. In principle, therefore, it is possible to deduce the nature of those extra dimensions by requiring consistency with the standard model, but this is not yet a practical possibility. It is also possible to extract information regarding the hidden dimensions by precision tests of gravity, but so far these have only put upper limitations on the size of such hidden dimensions.

In a nutshell: we are stuck in 3D space (there are other dimensions tho), but gravity can "leak" into other dimensions, and even from there it can affect our world. And our world with all its interactions also depends on the shape of those tiny dimensions. Some scientists think that extra dimensions got something to do with dark matter and energy. And maybe it's even possible to create a "shortcut" (wormholes) through the extra dimensions to our world, in that case we could travel with infinite speed and immediatley appear in any desirable spatial and maybe even time destination.

Wow my post is huge

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
Processor X5650 @3,7 Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Ga-EX58-UD5
Cooling Cogage True Spirit
Memory 2x8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 CL10
Video Card(s) Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070
Storage 250Gb MX100 SSD+1TB WD Green
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 2560x1440 27" PLS 96Hz
Case NZXT Tempest
Power Supply Corsair RM750 750w 80 Plus Gold Modular
Keyboard Logitech K120
Software Win 10 Home 64 bits
I think infinity is impossible so getting a right answer about question related with it is impossible.The question is stupid,if you try to answer you are accepting that there can be more infinities in the space of 1. This is like asking:if a ship flies at an infinite speed,another ship flying at double that speed would be faster?I go to sleep e_e

Benetanegia

Ellipsoid has different r along each axis (for 3D it's a, b, c when a=b=c it's sphere), in that case for every dimension there has to be a separate r.

Yeah I know that. As I said, same concept but different constants. I went with an sphere to make explaining the concept easier and I guess I didn't explain myself properly anyway. Well, mentioning the sphere, I was just trying to explain the concept of "living in a surface", you know, to draw a parallelism between g (on Earth's surface) and c on our apparent universe. Speed of light could be any value, even infinite in the broader universe, and our apparent universe might just be that one (subset) in which c=300000 km/s.

String theory and supersymmetry theory say that our universe is 10D. After the Big Bang 3 dimensions grew bigger but other extra 7 dimensions remained tiny, hence undetectable.

Yeah, and isn't there one that says there's 23? What I think is that we don't really know how many dimensions are there in the universe. And whenever we find out exactly how many are there in "our universe", if we happen to live in a "subset" of a broader universe we might never find out how many are there on top of the ones that define our universe.

For example a living being that belongs to a universe with only 2 spatial dimensions would be able to sense or explain a 3rd dimension? Since his universe is just as "defined" by the lack of a 3rd dimension as he is, would he even theoritize about it's existence?

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
infinity is an abstract concept and does not exist in the physical universe, so linking infinity and physical things leads to paradoxes because the underlying assumption is wrong (that something physical an be infinite)

it doesn't stop you from doing math with it of course

I disagree , There are an infinite number of assholes on this planet .

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
I disagree , There are an infinite number of assholes on this planet .

That number is actually easily bounded, thus not infinite :D

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Yeah, and isn't there one that says there's 23? What I think is that we don't really know how many dimensions are there in the universe. And whenever we find out exactly how many are there in "our universe", if we happen to live in a "subset" of a broader universe we might never find out how many are there on top of the ones that define our universe.

26 to be exact but that's for bosonic string. And only 10 for the superstring (particles + interactions, aka our regular universe which modelled as vibrations of tiny supersymmetric strings).

For example a living being that belongs to a universe with only 2 spatial dimensions would be able to sense or explain a 3rd dimension? Since his universe is just as "defined" by the lack of a 3rd dimension as he is, would he even theoritize about it's existence?

Theorizing is always possible because knowledge science intuition and imagination ain't limited. Let's take simplex. 4D simplex is a pentachoron. Even it's hard to imagine but it can easily be formulated through the geometry. Well mathematically everything is always easier than visually.

Benetanegia

Theorizing is always possible because knowledge science intuition and imagination ain't limited. Let's take simplex. 4D simplex is a pentachoron. Even it's hard to imagine but it can easily be formulated through the geometry. Well mathematically everything is always easier than visually.

Ok yes, it could be theorized to an extent, but it wouldn't form part of science, even if someone could come up with something crazy, because it wouldn't be able to be proven or falsified. That's what I meant. For example, if "speed of light" (in the broad sense, the maximum speed that a non massive particle can achieve) is actually a dimension, or something affected by one dimension, and that just happens to be constant through our universe (maybe because that's in fact the trait that sets appart our universe from others). How could we prove it? c would still be constant in our universe, and if we have no means to "trascend" our universe I don't see how could we theorize something like that. If only c is affected by that dimension (or is the dimension itself) and it's constant for us, that's the end of it.

Ok yes, it could be theorized to an extent, but it wouldn't form part of science, even if someone could come up with something crazy, because it wouldn't be able to be proven or falsified. That's what I meant.

That's why scientists work on Grand Unified Theory. We can't even explain mass, we can't explain gravity. We can't find Higgs or graviton. We can't say will proton decay or not. Many things ain't proven it doesn't mean we have to chuck Standard Model or relativity. It all can be explained sooner or later. For that they just need to work in different directions such as supersymmetry, quantum mechanics, string theory and so on. And finally find something general which could be integrated into TOE (theory of everything). Extra dimensions, dark matter and dark energy shouldn't scare us off.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
That's why scientists work on Grand Unified Theory. We can't even explain mass, we can't explain gravity. We can't find Higgs or graviton. We can't say will proton decay or not. Many things ain't proven it doesn't mean we have to chuck Standard Model or relativity. It all can be explained sooner or later. For that they just need to work in different directions such as supersymmetry, quantum mechanics, string theory and so on. And finally find something general which could be integrated into TOE (theory of everything). Extra dimensions, dark matter and dark energy shouldn't scare us off.

Btw we've just recently found evidence for the Higgs Boson

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...on-First-hard-evidence-God-particle-CERN.html

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64
inifnity / 0 = mind blown

Infinity goes on for ever so you can never fill up infinity. If new guests arrive then they would all have to move up rooms and those rooms would be filled up in an endless cycle because you could never fill them up. All those rooms all instantly exist at the same time.

At the same time every infinite room is already taken up so there can be no more room, which is why its a paradox.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
I see that people's brains are hurting nicely here. Don't worry my friends, the finest minds in science couldn't fully get it either and more than one went nuts trying...

Now, just try getting your heads around infinitesimals: teeny tiny non-zero values infinitely close to zero that you can never measure... :D

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Or trying warping your head around the fact that there is no such thing as the present, only the immediate past and imminent future.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Present

Although I must point out early the grammatical meaning of the word does exist.

Last edited:
Or trying warping your head around the fact that there is no such thing as the present, only the immediate past and imminent future.

Yes because space-time is descrete (Planck time 10^-44 s and Planck length 10^-35 m as building blocks). Quantum mechanics might suggest that space-time is a quantum and not continuum thing. We know that space-time can be affected by gravity so maybe space-time is made of quantums and has a mass.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Hey, trust a thread about infinity to go on and on.

Think about it. ;)

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap