• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon HD 6930 2 GB Tested

so can these be unlocked?? it has the dual BIOS option according to the slides, so i really do hope that they can be unlocked..

but does it make sense buying one of these now when we are around a month away (possibly), from the launch of the 7xxx series...?

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
so can these be unlocked?? it has the dual BIOS option according to the slides, so i really do hope that they can be unlocked..

but does it make sense buying one of these now when we are around a month away (possibly), from the launch of the 7xxx series...?
Well given that the reference board is the same as the 6950, it could happen.
But, the thing is cards like this tends to have cheaper custom PCBs that remove the dual bios feature.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Yeah just like the GTX460 SE that couldn't beat it.

The GTX 460 SE was not too bad. Were it lacked cores it got more VRAM. My 460 SE would clock over 900 core and 1200 memory and got 24K on 3dmark06 which isnt too bad, thats what my stock 5850 would get.

Once again, AMD Marketing team should be FIRED.

Look at their chart "Cayman CE Positioning".

Oh, see how 6930 is so superior to the 560 Ti

Now look at the benchmarks.

The 6930 is between 5%-20% SLOWER than the 560 Ti.

How about AMD Marketing gets honest. Put the 6930 NEXT TO the 560 Ti and say "this is our direct competitor product but at a price 30% lower, therefore buy US". No. Lie lie lie instead. :shadedshu
Not sure why you’re saying, "Look at their chart Cayman CE Positioning", those charts are from Expreview.com… not supplied through AMD marketing. So, not sure why you're off in "left field" from this article, or where you read it's said so superior? Folks with real discernment see the low number and realize it suppose to be less.

The good part is this will pound the "non-ti" (the green marketing way of deceiving the unaware), and in all probability end up being the same pricing structure ($160-180). I'm not sure who in their right mind (other than Expreview.com) thought this would be up against the true GTX560ti. You'd have to be completely...
:D

The GTX 460 SE was not too bad. Were it lacked cores it got more VRAM. My 460 SE would clock over 900 core and 1200 memory and got 24K on 3dmark06 which isnt too bad, thats what my stock 5850 would get.

While both could be OC'd and gave respectable numbers. The point that when a 5830 released there wasn't any competition and so it was priced excessively. To its merit AMD continued to have the room to reposition its price/performance ratio in check against the GTX460 that showed five months later, or the SE that came 12 months later. To contrast a 5830 from a year before against the SE, realize the SE never actually saw advantageous pricing that made a great purchase over either the GTX460 768Mb or more pedestrian versions GTX460 GTX 1Gb. While it wasn’t any 5850, it filled the void, vying against the Nvidia mainstreams their omission/critique AMD had nothing else. No it wasn’t any great card, but was the best thing at the time and considering the 6850 was in the market once the SE came out. The SE just faded away…

More info...
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2491293#post2491293

Last edited:
I think chances are good for unlocking them,if you can find one. Don't think they want to pay the price to laser cut such a small release. They may even be 6950 cards flashed and rebranded to empty stock for the OEMs. If they'll flash up they'll move fast and that will only help the bottom end.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Looks like a respectable card

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
I like how they put the 6950 in a "class of it's own." Isn't this the kind of marketing that they blamed for the perception of bulldozer as a disappointment? Which then led to massive layoffs in the PR department. Why are they still using the exact same tactics?

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Not sure why you’re saying, "Look at their chart Cayman CE Positioning", those charts are from Expreview.com… not supplied through AMD marketing. So, not sure why you're off in "left field" from this article, or where you read it's said so superior? Folks with real discernment see the low number and realize it suppose to be less.

ROFL. I refer you again to the AMD chart "Cayman CE Positioning". If you need me to show it again, here it is. Can you see the y-axis? Do I need to explain it to you? The one titled "performance" with the arrow pointing "up"? It really isn't a problem for me to explain it to you one L.E.T.T.E.R. at a time, if that helps. I know it might be a complicated and confusing chart. And I apologise in advance if I assumed the IQ of the average TPU reader was high enough that they could work it out without further assistance.

Source. "AMD Confidential"

Before you go around bashing other people's comments while sitting on your high horse, check your own competency at observation before hitting that reply button. You'll save yourself from embarrassment.

ROFL. I refer you again to the AMD chart "Cayman CE Positioning". If you need me to show it again, here it is. Can you see the y-axis? Do I need to explain it to you? The one titled "performance" with the arrow pointing "up"? It really isn't a problem for me to explain it to you one L.E.T.T.E.R. at a time, if that helps. I know it might be a complicated and confusing chart. And I apologise in advance if I assumed the IQ of the average TPU reader was high enough that they could work it out without further assistance.

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/11-12-20/85a.jpg

Source. "AMD Confidential"

Before you go around bashing other people's comments while sitting on your high horse, check your own competency at observation before hitting that reply button. You'll save yourself from embarrassment.

Oh, we all see... you where talking about something that had not been provided to discussion prior, but something somewhere out in the WWW. Now that you clarified that I understand. So, a slide that wasn't to be released to the public, carries the title "Cayman CE Positioning" and is dated back in August 2011; is your evidence that that Rory should’ve restructured the PR/marketing. Got it, glad to know you approve of the work being done today.

Though that just may well be a slide that was used for internal discussion, relating how much to geld some upcoming model, and marketing was making a case to release it above the ti. Although, now 5 months later figure better to castrate it future, and increase the amount of cards to release and confront at a lower price point. I’ve never seen that slide it could be faked, it could be a plant, as disinformation works better than the truth.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten

You should look into marketing some more, performance can mean SO many things, it's a rather ambiguous statement in the context they are using it in.

Yes it implies graphical performance, but it could also mean performance per watt/dollar.

All kinds of stuff.

Yes it's a bit shitty but it's how marketing works. And it's how companies get away with doing stuff like this : ]

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
No Panther. AMD can say "we have a very competitive product" and they can price it to be a winner. But if they say "BD" is the fastest and badest CPU when it isnt, and if they say "6930" is faster than "560 Ti" when it isnt, then they can be called out on it, and justifiably so. Don't try to roadblock criticisms of false promises by saying "oh, that's how marketing works, aren't you naiive, get out a bit more".

And then you said "it could mean performance/watt". Come off it. Are you looking at the same chart? Before or after a stiff drink? Nobody can pretend it could possibly mean that. Or are you just stalking and wanted to get my attention? :p

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
And then you said "it could mean performance/watt". Come off it. Are you looking at the same chart? Before or after a stiff drink? Nobody can pretend it could possibly mean that. Or are you just stalking and wanted to get my attention? :p

Yes I am, seriously man should see the stuff the shop I worked in got away with thanks to our ambiguous statements :laugh:

Not saying you should go out more it's just marketing departments in general are full of scum :laugh:

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 945
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
Memory 6gb DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD6870
Storage Seagate 1tb
Display(s) Acer AL2216W
Case Generic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Ultra LS-550
if this is for 199$ then it's a darn good deal I say!

Not with HD7850 coming out at the same price with higher performance and lower power consumption. Anyone who buys this over a HD7850 is an idiot.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 945
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
Memory 6gb DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD6870
Storage Seagate 1tb
Display(s) Acer AL2216W
Case Generic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Ultra LS-550
Would love to see if this card could be unlocked to a 6950 :)

I doubt it. The cores are probably laser cut and you can't reactivate what is no longer connected.