• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Launches Windows Vista and Microsoft Office 2007 to Consumers Worldwide

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
On Jan. 30 the most significant product launch in Microsoft Corp.'s history culminates in the release to consumers of the Windows Vista operating system and Microsoft Office 2007. Starting tomorrow, these two flagship products will be available in more than 70 countries, in 19 languages (with 99 languages anticipated by the end of the year), and at more than 39,000 retail stores and online. The launch marks the achievement of an unprecedented collaboration between Microsoft and its customers and partners, and ushers in an era in which personal computing is easier, safer and more enjoyable than ever before.

"Windows Vista and Microsoft Office 2007 will transform the way people work and play," said Bill Gates, chairman of Microsoft. "Personal computers have become a key part of the daily lives of almost a billion people worldwide. Millions of consumers had a hand in helping us design, test and create the most exciting versions of Windows and Office we've ever released. Windows Vista and Microsoft Office 2007 squarely address the needs and aspirations of people around the globe."

A New Era of Personal Computing
Windows Vista and the latest release of Microsoft Office feature dramatic graphic enhancements to the interface that make the desktop more visually exciting and significantly easier to use. With simple and intuitive tools, consumers can easily create and share digital documents, photos, music and videos, participate in digital communities, and play online and offline games.

With Windows Vista, consumers will be able to experience all kinds of entertainment - from television to video games to music and movies - how and when they want. Keeping in touch with family, friends and colleagues using e-mail, voice recording or video will be richer and more convenient. Redesigned user interfaces will increase productivity and ease of use, helping consumers and small businesses produce documents - from a marketing plan to a child's birthday invitation - that look better and are more professional in less time. Windows Vista and Microsoft Office 2007 will continue to improve access to information with new tools that make it easy to find the right piece of information - be it an e-mail message, image, note or media clip - no matter where it is stored.

The new versions of Windows and Microsoft Office also deliver advances in family safety by empowering parents to better manage and monitor their children's PC and Internet activities. With a few simple clicks in the new Windows Vista Parental Controls center, parents can manage and monitor PC and Internet access, and decide what kinds of TV, music and games are appropriate for their children. Security is also more robust in the new releases. Features such as Windows Defender help protect consumers against attacks from spyware and malicious Web sites, while other enhancements help safeguard personal information. In Microsoft Office 2007, Document Inspector helps clean personal information, comments and hidden text from documents, so families can share their documents with confidence.

"These are the most amazing versions of Windows and Office ever," said Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft. "The visual effects are spectacular; the navigation is streamlined and intuitive. They make it much easier to protect your PC, yourself and your children online. And they work together to help you accomplish more throughout the day."

New Opportunities
The consumer launch of Windows Vista is also expected to unleash a flood of new next-generation hardware, software and entertainment devices and services. Currently, more than 1.5 million devices and peripherals are on the market that work with Windows Vista, including more than 2,500 that are Certified for Windows Vista. In addition, thousands of PC manufacturers and system builders around the globe will deliver the Windows Vista operating system and Microsoft Office 2007 on new PCs.

"We designed Windows Vista and Office 2007 as springboards for our partners, for realizing the next generation of computing, for a whole new wave of innovation in devices and software that offer better graphics, better connectivity and communications, and a more productive, more enjoyable experience all around," Ballmer said. "Tomorrow's launch will have a dramatic impact on computing long-term."

Global Outreach
Microsoft also kicked off its global television, Web, and out-of-home and theater advertising campaigns encouraging people to see the "wow" of Windows Vista. The global campaign will reflect the exciting possibilities that Windows Vista will deliver to customers around the world.

Microsoft has mobilized employees - including executives, engineers, developers and product managers - to spend the launch day assisting salespeople at retail stores across the United States. Retailers around the world are providing special offers and opportunities to shoppers on the first day of general product availability.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

ktr

HOORRAYYY...****FIRE WORKS***.....bam!...BSOD...~~sniff...sniff...~~~

GLD

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, AMD Wraith Prism.
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi).
Cooling Antec 120mm RGB case fans.
Memory 4x8gb, G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GVKC.
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6700.
Storage PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB 4.0x4 NVMe ssd with Vantec ICEBERQ heat sink.
Display(s) ASUS VP278QG 27", 1080p, 75hz, FreeSync.
Case Antec GX202.
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound, Logitech Z625 THX 2.1's, Logitech G430 headphones.
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750.
Mouse Logitech G203 Prodigy.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
Software Windows 11 Pro, @ Day 1.
@ktr

You KNOW you want Vista Ultimate. Seeing as how it is the Ultimate AND the Ultimate has BOTH 32 & 64 bit versions in it's pretty litty black box.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Damn, looks like I have to shell out some money for Office 2007 now...:(

ktr

@ktr

You KNOW you want Vista Ultimate. Seeing as how it is the Ultimate AND the Ultimate has BOTH 32 & 64 bit versions in it's pretty litty black box.

I actually do...

i will wait for a couple of months, hopefully driver support will be good and all. :toast:

System Name MONEY PIT
Processor i7-3770K @ 4800 1.20v batch #3231B415 Delided
Motherboard ASrock Z77 OC Formula w onboard waterblocks
Cooling Apogee HD, MCP655,rad MCR320-XP,Micro Rev2 res
Memory G,skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Storage 2x120gig Wildfire raid0 2x120gig VERTEX3 raid0
Display(s) 3/ Samsung2343bwx + 65in LG 4K
Case NZXT Phantom White w/red
Audio Device(s) ReCon3d fatal1ty pro, Logitech z906 THX
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse Rat7
Software 64bit ++++ win 10
I actually do...
i will wait for a couple of months, hopefully driver support will be good and all. :toast:

I'm going to wait until Windows Vista Service Pack 1, code-named Fiji, is released, sometime before the end of the year. :)

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
HOORRAYYY...****FIRE WORKS***.....bam!...BSOD...~~sniff...sniff...~~~

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: That is too funny!

Processor Haswell i7 4770
Motherboard Asus Z87-PRO
Memory 32GB DDR3-2133 10-10-10-30
Video Card(s) 2x Radeon R9 390X
Storage Samsung SSD M840 Pro 256GB, 4x320GB mechanical RAID 5
Ugh... Microsoft... :banghead:

EDIT: Sorry, I misspelled it, I meant Micro$haft

rayza

Vista GUI

With the launch of Vista - Microsoft has succesfully turned everyones PC into a Mac :)

Ruel

Vista or Bust is what I say! :) I don't think I'll wait for the Service Pack 1 though. However, since I'm living in another country... I'm finding it a tad hard to find the English version!
On another note, at least that 'blunder' about the LifeCam drivers not being available is solved (at least based on what I read from Nick White's blog - http://windowsvistablog.com). There's also som noise going around about a 'repository' of Vista drivers being offered by one Radarsync - http://www.radarsync.com/vista.

Anybody seen it?
What do you think?

overcast

Processor AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7ghz Stock Voltage
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Cooling Stock Opteron
Memory OCZ PC4000 EB Platinum 2GB
Video Card(s) ATI X1900XTX
Storage 2 x Western Digital 74gb Raptors
Display(s) NEC 990B 19"
Case Antec P150
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic S12-500
Software XP 32bit
With the launch of Vista - Microsoft has succesfully turned everyones PC into a Mac :)

Wait, so you're telling us that Microsofts market share went from 95% to 5%?

Rodster

I purchased the Retail version of Home Premium and I must say it's pretty disappointing as a matter of fact XP out of the gate offered more than what's in Vista. For starters believe the bloatware accusation. I compared my XP configuration and that to Vista. Vista requires 380 mem and a constant 2% CPU utilization on my Rig to run it's system services, compare that to 85 meg on my XP config. My specs are as follows AMD 4000+CPU Clawhammer Core, EPoX 9NPA+ SLi, EP 1 gig of Corsair Ram, 250gb SATA II, nVidia 7900GTO, Audigy 2 Value sound card. It's not the fastest machine around by todays standars but it's not a total slug either. Even with the high MEM Overhead the UI felt responsive so no problems there.

The much heralded Vista Aero look IMO doesn't look nearly as good as what Windowblinds 5.1 offers for $19.99 and doesn't use more than 5 megs of ram to run.

Trying to get a DVD/CD to load or access software is a pain with Vista as the OS doesn't trust anything at first which maybe a good thing regarding malware. I had to click on several screens just to confirm that it was alright to go ahead and to access a driver on my mobo cd.

It's too early to tell but if XP can get a directX10 crack i'd dump Vista in a heartbeat.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
XP Offers more out of the gate? Are you serious? How do you figure that?
I don't know what you are talking about in terms of memory usage, but I find Vistas resource usage more than acceptable. Vista Ultimate hovers around 280-290MB with the sidebar running. 2% CPU usage with the sidebar running is about what I get, and is nothing. My CPU usage on XP would be nearly 5% constantly if I start up all the apps needed to give me the same functions as the sidebar, and my memory usage would be up near 600MB.

As for the Aero style, I like it, but of course there have been ways to get that on XP for years, and free, paying for Windblinds is plain stupid, it does nothing for $20 that you can't get for free. However, there are some things that are nice, the flip-3d is very nice.

As an OS I think Vista is a great improvement over XP, however as it stands right now I wouldn't recommend it as anyones main OS. Vista need to gain more support in both the driver and software fronts before it will be on my main PC.

Rodster

XP Offers more out of the gate? Are you serious? How do you figure that?
I don't know what you are talking about in terms of memory usage, but I find Vistas resource usage more than acceptable. Vista Ultimate hovers around 280-290MB with the sidebar running. 2% CPU usage with the sidebar running is about what I get, and is nothing. My CPU usage on XP would be nearly 5% constantly if I start up all the apps needed to give me the same functions as the sidebar, and my memory usage would be up near 600MB.

As for the Aero style, I like it, but of course there have been ways to get that on XP for years, and free, paying for Windblinds is plain stupid, it does nothing for $20 that you can't get for free. However, there are some things that are nice, the flip-3d is very nice.

As an OS I think Vista is a great improvement over XP, however as it stands right now I wouldn't recommend it as anyones main OS. Vista need to gain more support in both the driver and software fronts before it will be on my main PC.

Yes I am serious, IMO Vista is basically XP with DX10 and a fresh coat of paint aka Windowblinds. My rig is strictly for gaming purposes only. When I boot my XP system and have Windowblinds running the system the CPU is idling at 0% and is using 98 megs of ram. Vista idles at 2% and uses 380-385 megs of ram at the desktop. I killed everything I could think of and there was no changes to CPU and MEM utilization.

When i'm trying to achieve fast framerates in my flight or racing sims that's a big deal to me. Windows Vista feels like a fat bloated pig and i'm not willing to throw 4 megs of ram and a DX10 card just so I can bring it up to XP performance levels.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I don't believe you one bit, specifically since my vista installation idles at about 280MB used with the sidebar running and I have done absolutely no tweaks to lower memory usage. My XP installation uses about 500MB just idling, but I have a lot of stuff starting with XP, however the higher memory usage of XP idling doesn't affect my game performance one bit.

Windowblinds doesn't come close to offering even a quarter of the features Vista offers. Vista is more than just a pretty skin which is all Windowblinds gives you.

Last edited:

Rodster

I don't believe you one bit, specifically since my vista installation idles at about 280MB used with the sidebar running and I have done absolutely no tweaks to lower memory usage. My XP installation uses about 500MB just idling, but I have a lot of stuff starting with XP, however the higher memory usage of XP idling doesn't affect my game performance one bit.

Windowblinds doesn't come close to offering even a quarter of the features Vista offers. Vista is more than just a pretty skin which is all Windowblinds gives you.

Well I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I don't believe you either..how's that. :p