• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

'I'm a little worried about the direction gaming is going'

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Something to mull over:

On the last mailbox Jack Hall got in touch to express his concerns with the rising price of games.

This week we've got Danny Blackbourn, who's a little worried about the path which gaming is headed down.

To have your letter featured on CVG's Mailbox, drop us a line.

As long-time gamer, I'm a little worried about the direction gaming is going. I feel many devs don't care about the consumers anymore and force-feed us the same thing every year with a different number on the end of it.

I can understand it to an extent with sports games, although with today's technology transfers, retirements could be easily patched in without the need for yearly repaints.

Also, is it me or are most games more focused on multiplayer than single-player now days? I like to immerse myself in a story which grabs me from the get go, but minus a few great games, such as the Assassin's Creed and Uncharted series, games don't give me that feeling anymore.

GM says: Sounds to us that you're just jaded with games in general, Danny. Perhaps you need to step away from the flashy big-name titles and explore the quirky, fresh and inventive titles on XBLA/PSN, iPhone and Android, and the PC indie scene. Go find 'em!

CVG says: While there's certainly some validity to your concerns we feel it might be more constructive for us, and less self-destructive for you, to heed GM's advice. We recommend stepping away from the big budget titles and playing a few XBLA/PSN titles. We've been having a lot of fun recently playing Renegade Ops co-op.

Alternatively, if you're looking for a brilliant story seek out indie title To the Moon. It will treat you right.

CVG

JustaTinkerer

System Name Just need to tidy it up now
Processor FX-8120
Motherboard Asus M5A99X EVO 990X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Video Card(s) BFG GTX 280 H2OC
Storage OCZ ocz vertex plus(60GB), 2TB hdd
Display(s) 1x ACER x19ws ( need new one)
Case Custom
Power Supply (GOT) OCZ GameXStream 1010 Watt
Software LOL
Benchmark Scores Soon, very very soon, just need to tidy it up.
As long-time gamer, I'm a little worried about the direction gaming is going. I feel many devs don't care about the consumers anymore and force-feed us the same thing every year with a different number on the end of it.

If it sell's it sell's, folk aren't in it to show off its to make money

I can understand it to an extent with sports games, although with today's technology transfers, retirements could be easily patched in without the need for yearly repaints.

To an extent true but FIFA 11 vs FIFA 12 is night and day, plus its only a year between games.

Also, is it me or are most games more focused on multiplayer than single-player now days? I like to immerse myself in a story which grabs me from the get go, but minus a few great games, such as the Assassin's Creed and Uncharted series, games don't give me that feeling anymore.

Multi player is a massive selling point, you dont need to look far to see where the money is just now.
Not to mention the time for delelpoment on the big story titles, the cash put in etc

GM says: Sounds to us that you're just jaded with games in general, Danny. Perhaps you need to step away from the flashy big-name titles and explore the quirky, fresh and inventive titles on XBLA/PSN, iPhone and Android, and the PC indie scene. Go find 'em!

On the money, I got orcs must die as I was only ever playing big titles, thought I would try something else.....28hours of gameplay later and I'm still not done

CVG says: While there's certainly some validity to your concerns we feel it might be more constructive for us, and less self-destructive for you, to heed GM's advice. We recommend stepping away from the big budget titles and playing a few XBLA/PSN titles. We've been having a lot of fun recently playing Renegade Ops co-op.

See above.

Gaming is alive and well, something for everyone and plenty of it.. looks like the "long time gamer" has been gaming to long

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
In other words it is easier to keep making the crap they are and sell it at a high price than to come up with NEW stuff and Single player games are harder to make as a story line has to be told in MP there is no story just conquest . Sounds as if they are making excuses to me . Lack of imagination and laziness just to make a buck .

JustaTinkerer

Processor FX-8120
Cooling Custom Water
Case Custom
Software LOL
In other words it is easier to keep making the crap they are and sell it at a high price than to come up with NEW stuff and Single player games are harder to make as a story line has to be told in MP there is no story just conquest . Sounds as if they are making excuses to me . Lack of imagination and laziness just to make a buck .

It is what it is, have no doubt....or stop gaming, Ive been doing the same job for 14 years, I will keep doing the same thing to make money....I wont be gambling my future when what I do puts cars on the road and food in mouths for my family, why should they?

New upcoming dev's can make the new up coming stuff....the big boys make money with what has been proven

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
It is what it is, have no doubt....or stop gaming, Ive been doing the same job for 14 years, I will keep doing the same thing to make money....I wont gambling my future when what I do puts cars on the road and food in mouths for my family, why should they?

Making things that people want to buy is better than making this people are stuck buying . Knowing the difference makes a world filled with new things that are improvements on the old . Doing the same old thing all the time is just lazy and it forces people into a rut that YOU designed !

JustaTinkerer

Processor FX-8120
Cooling Custom Water
Case Custom
Software LOL
Making things that people want to buy is better than making this people are stuck buying . Knowing the difference makes a world filled with new things that are improvements on the old . Doing the same old thing all the time is just lazy and it forces people into a rut that YOU designed !

You are (not you, everyone) not stuck buying, its your hard earned, you choose what to do with it.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
You are not stuck buying, its your hard earned, you choose what to do with it.

Really ? I think you are wrong . If the gaming industry just repaints and re-brands the same old tired crap and sells it as " NEW and Improved " Then yes we are forced to buy it . And if we did not buy it you would not be able to buy that new car or put food on the table . So look at what you said .

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
If the gaming industry just repaints and re-brands the same old tired crap and sells it as " NEW and Improved " Then yes we are forced to buy it .

Quite the opposite actually. I choose what i want to spend my money on. I have NEVER bought a MW game because of what you just stated above, nor am I forced to go out and purchase it.

JustaTinkerer

Processor FX-8120
Cooling Custom Water
Case Custom
Software LOL
Really ? I think you are wrong . If the gaming industry just repaints and re-brands the same old tired crap and sells it as " NEW and Improved " Then yes we are forced to buy it . And if we did not buy it you would not be able to buy that new car or put food on the table . So look at what you said .

Eh?

I care little for new and improved, I loved Assassin Creed, I would have bought Assassin Creed 2,3 and 4 if they had no changes apart from a different story, I didnt buy Uncharted 3 I rented it as I wasnt sure if I could keep going.

FIFA 11 is a good game, FIFA 12 blows it out the water.

Then yes we are forced to buy it

If someone is forcing you to do things you dont want to do then you should phone the police...

OFFICER: Yes sir can I help?

YOU: Yes, I was forced to spend my money on a game I thought I wanted to play, but I find it to much like the first one.

OFFICER: yes sir we will get right on that, would you like an incident number?

YOU: no thank you I just got tweeted that a map pack was out for it I must run and get it

OFFICER: Sir are you now reporting a crime in progress

YOU: yes please help me.....

And if we did not buy it you would not be able to buy that new car or put food on the table .
EH???

Im a database admin/Tech support , stop buying games...I dont care

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
The golden age of gaming is over. Now 75% of the devs and publishers are all money grabbing whores. Its gotten too mainstream to where now like any business rather then making games for fun and what not, its for the money now.

JustaTinkerer

Processor FX-8120
Cooling Custom Water
Case Custom
Software LOL
The golden age of gaming is over. Now 75% of the devs and publishers are all money grabbing whores. Its gotten too mainstream to where now like any business rather then making games for fun and what not, its for the money now.

Hmm yes over, love the battlefield 3 sig,

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
I guess you missed my point . Sorry you just don't get it . Lets see maybe like this . If AMD and Intel stopped making new CPU's right now Just stopped inventing new tech and we say were stuck with the same stuff we have now for say 5 years , Yet all they did was rename re-brand and stick new numbers at the end , Would you not still have no other choice than to buy what is available ? Not that you would know but that you would not have a real choice !

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

^this....

makes no sense whatsoever. No one is forcing you to part with your cash. youre the one who decides to what to spend it on.

secondly jumping from a $30-50 game to a car that can cost anywhere from $500 & even higher if you dont want a second or 3rd hand banger of a car. and thats a pretty big jump from a $30 disc you just put in your pc.

If you dont buy the game you can still put food on the table. Inflation is high and everyday goods can be considered a little expensive but not everyone is completely priced out of the market quite yet.

$30-50 can feed me for almost upto two weeks so long as im careful.

JustaTinkerer

Processor FX-8120
Cooling Custom Water
Case Custom
Software LOL
I guess you missed my point . Sorry you just don't get it . Lets see maybe like this . If AMD and Intel stopped making new CPU's right now Just stopped inventing new tech and we say were stuck with the same stuff we have now for say 5 years , Yet all they did was rename re-brand and stick new numbers at the end , Would you not still have no other choice than to buy what is available ? Not that you would know but that you would not have a real choice !

Yes I would, I would have all the choices in the world.
Choose not to buy it, choose to keep what you have...

Hmm go play football or chill watching a film...whatever

NO ONE IS FORCING ANYONE TO BUY THE ITEM!

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
I give up . Well you are right no one is forcing me to do any thing . But in the end there will be no more gaming industry . NOW that is forcing the gaming industry out of business . !

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
I give up . Well you are right no one is forcing me to do any thing . But in the end there will be no more gaming industry . NOW that is forcing the gaming industry out of business . !

you are still wrong. the gaming industry will never go out of business so long as Activision (& other devs) charge subscription fees to play its games.

JustaTinkerer

Processor FX-8120
Cooling Custom Water
Case Custom
Software LOL
you are still wrong. the gaming industry will never go out of business so long as Activision (& other devs) charge subscription fees to play its games.

Hides in a corner throwing money at them cos I love it :)....more please sir.

Gaming is stagnant. Just like music films or everything else. "Audience" is not the same like it was in the 90s, when only "geeks" had internet and computers and kewl consoles. Gaming became a cheap pornography, figuratively speaking. Series all become predictable: better graphics -> shiny stuff -> shorter duration -> more linear -> more lame plot -> needs more space -> dlc and other exclusive crap -> devs milking their cashcows. I played a lot of new games and didn't find anything revolutionary or ground breaking. The only exclusion was ... maybe Heavy Rain.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Also....console ports are still considered games which ever way you look at it.

as long as they keep releasing ports, we wont require ungodly hardware to run them which means the hardware industy loses out more then the gaming industry.

D

Deleted member 24505

I think its the console market were they can just release any old crap and they will sell. The console market is much bigger, and has a much bigger age range(kids to adults) than the pc market, just look at all the crappy games for consoles aimed at kids. Plus console games can cost £50 so they make more money on them for less sales.

JustaTinkerer

Processor FX-8120
Cooling Custom Water
Case Custom
Software LOL
PC is easier for devs starting out though

Wish they would port gears 2 & 3, no market left for 2 now let PC gamers get it, it will be pirated like black beards wife but at least they will make some more cash out it.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Plus console games can cost £50 so they make more money on them for less sales.

Devs would always like to charge you more for less content. they charge £50 on consoles because piracy tends to be a lot lower on consoles then on the PC and they know they can get their moneys worth from kids telling mommie and daddie what they want for christmas or birthday etc etc etc. and thats the weakness in the market they are exploiting.

main reason i never got into console gaming = lack of 8-15year olds bitching and whining when I pwn them. not saying that doesnt happen in PC games, but the figures are significantly a lot less.

Obviously im not trying to pull the thread into a console vs pc argument...If you like the consoles then more power to you - I dont really give a shit, but youre ruining my gaming experience by just existing so just curl up and die so we can revive the gaming industry and push pc gaming into full HD gaming that requires beastly machines to run some real nice graphics!

Last edited:

JustaTinkerer

Processor FX-8120
Cooling Custom Water
Case Custom
Software LOL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I'm buying stock in Milton Bradley...Tried and true board games are makin' a comeback baby!!! My cheap wooden table can play all the best board games life has to offer.

I'm probably not serious.. But maybe I am? I sure do love the internet. :D

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Processor Intel i7 2600K @4.6Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3)
Cooling Noctua nh-u12p se2
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz 9-10-9-27
Video Card(s) POWERCOLOR HD 7970 3GB
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 240GB SSD / 2*320GB WDC RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung 226BW 21" 1650*1080
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Professional PCI
Power Supply OCZ PC Power & Cooling 860W
Software Windows 7 x64
Not to simply repeat what everyone else here is saying but the days when a relatively small team of people could put together a computer game are gone. Now to release the sort of games which appeal to us gamers en masse, it generally takes millions of bucks of investment. This means the money men have the control and they want maximal returns for their investment.

Having said that, the best games around today are far better than the best games have ever been. Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2, Pro Evolution Soccer 2012, Deus Ex HR all surpass anything that has went before in thier respective genres. The problem is that these days there is not so many great games to choose from as there was in the past which is perhaps what makes all the unimaginative bland games which simply attempt to clone each other stand out a lot more. I have been an avid gamer for around 25 years and can vouch that there has always been a shed load more mediocre games than truly excellent games in circulation.