• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

C++ small tutorial

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M Gaming rev 1.0
Cooling Snowman, arctic p12 x2 fans
Memory 16x2 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Pro
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Display(s) HP Omen 34c (34" monitor 3440x1440 165Hz VA panel)
Case Zalman S2
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech pro superlight, mx mouse s3, Razer Basiliskx with battery
Keyboard Custom mechanical keyboard tm680
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores 70-80 fps 3440x1440 on cyberpunk 2077 max settings
I was reading a book and went through a problem of mine.
In November i tried to make a formula in math, but the number was way too huge and
i couldn't hope anymore in my skills in math. I just found the square power of it,
but not the cube. So now i remember it all, and i was thinking...
What about this one: 2^2^2 ?
And made it even more interesting finding a new programming method like this:
pow(2, pow(2, 2));
from this:
pow(2, 2);
This means that you can call same function inside the function!
Well i didn't use it and didn't think of it till now...
So let's hope someone else will find a use of it and here is all the program:
Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
    cout << pow(2, pow(2, 2));
    cin.get();
}

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
ALEK you are going to be my hero! I am currently in a C++ class and I am struggling bad :( Hope if you dont mind, I could ask you some questions soon?

*EDIT*

I tried to use your code and got an error, it would not compile

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Case Zalman S2
Software Windows 11
Actually you are using the microsoft VC++ which is a different compiler from the gcc
In order to compile my program, you need to download codeblocks as an ide with its mingw
compiler:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cod...10.05/Windows/codeblocks-10.05mingw-setup.exe

If you want to go advanced you can download only the mingw compiler and write the program on a notepad and save it as program.cpp, than open cmd, find the file path and than type in gcc program.cpp.
Here is the MinGW:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/

Another way is to link the libraries with your visual studio, but that would take more thinking time to link cuz there are 2 libraries.
(and i don't know if this one works)

Last, but not least:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dt5dakze(v=vs.71).aspx

This is for your compiler and i don't know the VC++, i cannot help you there!

EDIT: I remember reading from the book that instead of:
#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>

Some old compilers have it:
#include <iostream.h>
#include <math.h>

Maybe it is worth a try

Last edited:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
In VC++ the math function POW is overloaded to accept a double, float and long double.
By giving the POW function two integers the compiler cannot figure out what you want it to use.

Try this ...
Code:
cout << Pow((double)2, Pow((double)2, 2));

Given the overloads a standard ANSI C++ compiler must give this error. VC++ has attempted to adhere to ANSI standard C++ compiler as much as possible.

As a side note, you are not calling a function within a function. You are telling the compiler to call the Pow function and use it as input to another function (in this case also Pow). This is very common in programming.

You are really doing this ...
Code:
int a = Pow((double)2, 2);
cout << Pow((double)2, a);

The difference with placing the function inline as an input paramter is that the compiler is creating an unnamed variable at runtime instead of you explicitely creating one at design time.

brandonwh64

Nope I just copied and pasted his that he made. Im a novice with only 1 week of hands on C++

I just need the basics explained to me instead of what my teacher did and give me 2 chapters to read that I couldn't understand a damn thing LOL

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
by creating a unnamed parameter you may also find that the contents read from whatever junk leftover in that block of system ram will create issues.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Feel free to start your own thread with C++ questions Brandon.

Okay, I didn't test in in the compiler and just spewed from memory. :D
Back in a few minutes.

brandonwh64

Feel free to start your own thread with C++ questions Brandon.

Okay, I didn't test in in the compiler and just spewed from memory. :D
Back in a few minutes.

Oh, I thought this was a C++ Tutorial thread? Im sorry kreji :( Just trying to get a better understanding of this stuff and by watching the masters (You guys here at TPU) I may catch on.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Sorry Brandon, I did not mean to imply you could not ask question here, just that you could start your own thread if you want. :toast:

VC++ is fussing still. Have to get back to you on that as I''m out of time tonight. :(

Got it ... here you go ...
Code:
#include "stdafx.h"
#include "iostream"
#include "cmath"

using namespace System;

int main(array<System::String ^> ^args)
{
    using namespace std;
    cout << pow((double)2, pow((double)2, 2));
    return 0;
}

Sorry, I'm a little rusty at C++. DOH !!

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Case Zalman S2
Software Windows 11
If you make it at school, than the best tutorial is the book in school
The teacher wont give anything outside the book
We made C++ and Java without a book and it was extremely difficult to understand

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
When I first learned C++ years ago, I found the hardest part to be the transition from working in a functional programming language (C, Pascal, etc.) to an object oriented language. After writing code for years with a functional mindset, the abstract concepts of OOP were quite foriegn and almost seems superfluous at the time. Of course, once I really understood OOP, there was no looking back as it's advantages and benefits became readily apparant.

Learning the new syntax of different language is really the easy part, as once you get some code working you basically won't forget how to use the syntax for any given example, or at least know where to find it in a programming reference.

IMHO, the best thing anyone could possible do is to find themselves a mentor who is willing to answer all the questions that you will have on the undelying concepts of a given programming paradigm, and hopefully one who has a great deal of patience and the ability to present things from different angles when something is just not sinking in. Thankfully, I was blessed with a mentor who besides being a coding god, had both of those traits, and to this day is a very good friend. He has since moved into higher management levels at GE and I now code more than he does, but I still pick his brain on the rare occasion when I have questions on really low level code.

When I was learning to code, the internet as we know it did not exist, so the new coders have a great advantage as there are many fine coders here on TPU who are willing to share their knowledge and experience simply for the asking, and who remember what it was like to be a coding n00b with more questions than answers. :D

System Name An experiment in continuous upgrading
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.4 Ghz | FX-8570 @ 4.0 Ghz | Phenom II X4 965
Motherboard MSI P67A-GD53 | MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Asus M4A79 Deluxe
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 | Zalman CNPS10x | Coolermaster*212+
Memory 24gb DDR3-1866 |8Gb | 8Gb
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 Turbo x 2 (SLI) | Sapphire Radeon 7970 + GTX 670 (PhysX) | Radeon 4870 1Gb
Storage 2x240gb SSD + 4tb SSHD + HDDs | 240gb SSD + HDDs | 120gb SSD + WD Blue 500gb
Display(s) ASUS VG248 144hz + Samsung S23A700D 120hz + 3D Vision | 40" Sony 1080p TV | 23" 1080p
Case Cooler Master HAF-X | Lian-Li PC-8 | Antec 302
Audio Device(s) Senn. PC360 G4ME | Sound Blaster Zx | Generic
Power Supply Corsair TX850W | Corsair TX 750 | OCZ 700
Mouse Steelseries Sensei | Logitech G402 W/L | Generic
Keyboard Filco Majetouch Ninja Tenkeyless MX Black | Logitech wireless |SteelSeries 6Gv2 MX Red
Software About 800 top-rated games. | 200 top-rated games | No games
Benchmark Scores No time for benching, I prefer gaming.
When I first learned C++ years ago, I found the hardest part to be the transition from working in a functional programming language (C, Pascal, etc.) to an object oriented language. After writing code for years with a functional mindset, the abstract concepts of OOP were quite foriegn and almost seems superfluous at the time. Of course, once I really understood OOP, there was no looking back as it's advantages and benefits became readily apparant.

Learning the new syntax of different language is really the easy part, as once you get some code working you basically won't forget how to use the syntax for any given example, or at least know where to find it in a programming reference.

IMHO, the best thing anyone could possible do is to find themselves a mentor who is willing to answer all the questions that you will have on the undelying concepts of a given programming paradigm, and hopefully one who has a great deal of patience and the ability to present things from different angles when something is just not sinking in. Thankfully, I was blessed with a mentor who besides being a coding god, had both of those traits, and to this day is a very good friend. He has since moved into higher management levels at GE and I now code more than he does, but I still pick his brain on the rare occasion when I have questions on really low level code.

When I was learning to code, the internet as we know it did not exist, so the new coders have a great advantage as there are many fine coders here on TPU who are willing to share their knowledge and experience simply for the asking, and who remember what it was like to be a coding n00b with more questions than answers. :D

As a self-taught C programmer of decent skill back in the DOS days, teaching myself C++ failed miserably.

Also, what is "cout"?

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
It's the command to send output to the console.

System Name An experiment in continuous upgrading
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.4 Ghz | FX-8570 @ 4.0 Ghz | Phenom II X4 965
Motherboard MSI P67A-GD53 | MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Asus M4A79 Deluxe
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 | Zalman CNPS10x | Coolermaster*212+
Memory 24gb DDR3-1866 |8Gb | 8Gb
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 Turbo x 2 (SLI) | Sapphire Radeon 7970 + GTX 670 (PhysX) | Radeon 4870 1Gb
Storage 2x240gb SSD + 4tb SSHD + HDDs | 240gb SSD + HDDs | 120gb SSD + WD Blue 500gb
Display(s) ASUS VG248 144hz + Samsung S23A700D 120hz + 3D Vision | 40" Sony 1080p TV | 23" 1080p
Case Cooler Master HAF-X | Lian-Li PC-8 | Antec 302
Audio Device(s) Senn. PC360 G4ME | Sound Blaster Zx | Generic
Power Supply Corsair TX850W | Corsair TX 750 | OCZ 700
Mouse Steelseries Sensei | Logitech G402 W/L | Generic
Keyboard Filco Majetouch Ninja Tenkeyless MX Black | Logitech wireless |SteelSeries 6Gv2 MX Red
Software About 800 top-rated games. | 200 top-rated games | No games
Benchmark Scores No time for benching, I prefer gaming.
It's the command to send output to the console.

Damn where are the days when things were at least a little bit self-explanatory LOL. :eek:

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Case Zalman S2
Software Windows 11

Your post is really motivating and i hoped to have your chances too in C++.
Unfortunately my mentor rejected me of being part of a project with Ogre3D for 9 months and accepted a girl who doesn't know how many bytes takes an int. That made me "VERY ANGRY" :mad: and i made the project using XNA in a single day. Now i know he was not a
mentor. He was a fool trying to tell us that call of duty black ops uses the best vertex shaders ever made. I didn't lose my patience with him and went on programming myself.
What is worse i have a lot of people arguing very bad about me and they don't want me to
study programming, but i didn't hear anything and went on reading a 1200 pages book.

System Name Staggered
Processor Intel i5 6600k (XSPC Rasa)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3
Cooling RX360 (3*Scythe GT1850) + RX240 (2*Scythe GT1850) + Laing D5 Vario (with EK X-Top V2)
Memory 2*8gb Team Group Dark @3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 1.25v
Video Card(s) Inno3D GTX 1070 HerculeZ
Storage 256gb Samsung 830 + 2*1tB Samsung F3 + 2*2tB Samsung F4EG
Display(s) Flatron W3000H 2560*1600
Case Cooler Master ATCS 840 + 1*120 GT1850 (exhaust) + 1*230 Spectre Pro + Lamptron FC2 (fan controller)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
When making a DnD dice roller a couple of months ago I remember using several math.min functions inside each other to work out 4d6 minus the lowest roll.

ctrain

I was reading a book and went through a problem of mine.
In November i tried to make a formula in math, but the number was way too huge and
i couldn't hope anymore in my skills in math. I just found the square power of it,
but not the cube. So now i remember it all, and i was thinking...
What about this one: 2^2^2 ?
And made it even more interesting finding a new programming method like this:
pow(2, pow(2, 2));
from this:
pow(2, 2);
This means that you can call same function inside the function!
Well i didn't use it and didn't think of it till now...
So let's hope someone else will find a use of it and here is all the program:
Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
    cout << pow(2, pow(2, 2));
    cin.get();
}

it doesn't have to be the same function.

the return is used for the argument.

Code:
#include "stdafx.h"
#include "iostream"
#include "cmath"

using namespace System;

int main(array<System::String ^> ^args)
{
    using namespace std;
    cout << pow((double)2, pow((double)2, 2));
    return 0;
}

Sorry, I'm a little rusty at C++. DOH !!

this is C++/CLI (.NET), not native C++

Last edited:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I know, ctrain ... that is because Brandon said he had to use VC++ in his uni classes.

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Case Zalman S2
Software Windows 11
*EDIT*

I tried to use your code and got an error, it would not compile

Just found your problem.
I tried it on visual studio 2010 it didn't work
It will work if you add a
file -> new project -> visual C++ -> win32 -> win32 console application -> empty project
Copy paste it and it will work. It worked on my pc
If you have trouble just post your problem or watch the steps again
:toast:

brandonwh64

Just found your problem.
I tried it on visual studio 2010 it didn't work
It will work if you add a
file -> new project -> visual C++ -> win32 -> win32 console application -> empty project
Copy paste it and it will work. It worked on my pc
If you have trouble just post your problem or watch the steps again
:toast:

This is what I first tried and it errored when I compiled it

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Case Zalman S2
Software Windows 11
I know this thread is old, but to help out:
I fixed the error in Visual Studio 2010 using math.h header instead of cmath.
You should also remove the precompiled headers when starting a new empty project.
In Visual Studio 2012, it works perfect since it has the new headers and C++11.