• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sensor Test Help

Robo51

I ran my sensor test and here are the results:

[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us [/IMG]

I have an idea of what they mean, I believe they need adjusted but I don't know how much to adjust or where.

Can someone help me?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
All your temperature sensors are working so don't waste your time adjusting or trying to calibrate them. The temperature sensors that Intel uses were never intended to be used for 100% accurate core temperature monitoring so be happy with the fact that at least they work and go up and down. Some of Intel's earlier 45nm Core 2 CPU's used to have sensors that would get stuck and stop moving at lower temperatures less than about 50C or worse.

Your sensors are fine. As for what cores are the most accurate is anyone's guess. No one knows. I think Intel's recent sensors are generally accurate to within +/- 5C and that's what your results are showing so everything is good.

Robo51

I apologize for the long delay in responding.

Thank for the information you provided, it makes me feel better about the situation.

One more question; I have an i7-263QM Quad Core, 2.0 GHz proccesor.

The Intel website says the safe maximum temperature is 100 C, while playing several different games my laptop gets upward of 97-98 C.

Should I be worried about my cooling?

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I apologize for the long delay in responding.

Thank for the information you provided, it makes me feel better about the situation.

One more question; I have an i7-263QM Quad Core, 2.0 GHz proccesor.

The Intel website says the safe maximum temperature is 100 C, while playing several different games my laptop gets upward of 97-98 C.

Should I be worried about my cooling?

I would be! Try a laptop cooler while gaming

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
A lot of modern laptops with Sandy Bridge CPUs like the i7-2630QM have core temperatures up over 90C while gaming. I think laptop manufacturers should spend a few more dollars on better cooling solutions but most consumers seem to prefer light, quiet and cheap.

Intel rates their CPUs to run reliably up to the throttling point at 100C. The thermal shutdown temperature Intel sets is 130C so I guess they are comfortable with high core temperatures even if users are not.

A laptop cooler is a good idea. A lot of enthusiasts also like to remove the heatsink and fan and redo the thermal paste which sometimes helps if it was poorly installed originally. Doing this can void your warranty so it might not be worth it.

The other program I wrote is called ThrottleStop which the W1zzard has just added to TechPowerUp.

ThrottleStop 4.00
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2090/ThrottleStop_4.00.html

It can be used to run your CPU a little slower to help keep the heat in check. For many games, a slower CPU is barely noticed. This can sometimes give you more temperature head room so you can overclock the GPU and run faster overall. With ThrottleStop you can also use it and set up two separate profiles. You can run your CPU at full speed up to say 90C and then slow your CPU down as much as you like when the core temperature goes over 90C by setting an Alarm temperature and having it automatically switch to a second slower profile to keep your CPU from reaching the thermal throttling point. Send me a PM if you need to know more about setting it up.

Robo51

Thank you both of you for responding.

I will deffinently get a laptop cooler!
Can anyone suggest one? I have a laptop with an 18.6 in screen, meaning the laptop is roughly 17.5 inches wide.
What would be a good cooler to get?