• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Next-Gen Xbox Features Blu-ray, Will Not Play Used Games

Aldouz

Processor Q8400 @3.4Ghz
Motherboard GA-EP45-UD3L
Cooling Noctua U12P SE2
Memory G.Skill F2-6400CL4-2GBPK
Video Card(s) MSI GTX460 Hawk Talon
Storage WD1001FALS
Display(s) Dell S2309W
Case AzzA Solano
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC888
Power Supply Corsair VX550
Software Win 7
What if you can't rent a game for 7 Day for 6$ and tell if you like it or not ? just buy and hope you ain't getting a Failure like Duke nukem forever or Game that as no replay value

What made console Great is when ur done playing a game you owned for a long time you sell it for something of near same value but now they saying it ain't gonna happen
Yeah, Next-Gen XboX means No Game are actually for sale, they are for RENT for unlimited time as long as your XboX console still working...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
IIRC, MS had several games for PC that required CD to be in, I had a few no CD patches for those games so i could protect the disk. Same with COD4. Even Deus Ex was like that.

How does Steam do it better.

For one, it's a service that I use, and I agreed to the limitation of resale of games. I.E. it doesn't exist.

There is no physical media for me to worry about. Likely Microsoft's implementation will still require you to have the media in the drive to play the game.

I'm part of the 10% of folks who really don't give too big of a crap about console gaming. Sure, I do play games on the Xbox, but I really don't need to buy one to enjoy gaming. I'll build an HTPC and play games on my TV with a 360 controller. It works pretty damn good.

Last edited:
System Name Akuma, Iluminati
Processor 2 x Intel i7 4930K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard 2 x Asus Rampage IV Gene
Cooling 2 x Corsair H110 Push-Pull
Memory 2 x Mushkin Ridgeback Redline 16GB @ DDR3-2400
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI, EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost
Storage 2 x Intel 320 120GB RAID0, 2 x Intel 520 180GB RAID0, TOO MANY MORE TO LIST!
Display(s) Asus PB298Q, 2 x Asus VH236H
Case Custom Tech Bench, Antec 300 Illusion
Audio Device(s) 2 x Onboard Soundblaster X-Fi III
Power Supply Corsair HX1000, Rosewill 1000w
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I thought Microsoft was counting on digital distribution and cloud storage becoming main stream and that they weren't worried about Blu-Ray or any optical storage at all. They might bring back HD-DVD for their consoles (not as in trying to make it a main stream disc format like before) from other rumors I've seen. As far as used games being not playable, I seriously doubt that would happen. But they go with the likes of the pay an extra fee to play a used game online. Who knows.

Syborfical

Optical Media is almost dead.

One reason I will never own or use a bluray is my passionate hatred for sony. it almost equals my hatred for EA.

The next Xbox Looks like another console I won't buy.

I borrowed a friends 360, couldn't find any games that where phun. They where okay but not phun like consoles use to be.

IMO most consoles just churn out mindless phun less games for profit.

ktr

Optical media is far from dead when the average internet speed is not fast enough and games are becoming bigger than ever. Considering the US alone, the average speed is ~5.8Mb/s, 58% of subscribers are below 5Mb/s, and 20% of that is below 2Mb/s.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
Optical Media is almost dead.

One reason I will never own or use a bluray is my passionate hatred for sony. it almost equals my hatred for EA.

The next Xbox Looks like another console I won't buy.

I borrowed a friends 360, couldn't find any games that where phun. They where okay but not phun like consoles use to be.

IMO most consoles just churn out mindless phun less games for profit.

are you a phreaker?

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
i prefer optical media, the country i live in doesn't have the best net connections and are damn expensive. Internet capping is also one reason. Most of the recent games are massive and could easily hit the download limit.

faramir

In the event MS "leaked" this rumor on purpose to test the waters on this idea I think its best to make as many extremely negative remarks as possible. Go nuts, go over the top. I doubt this will be a feature now considering the response it's gotten whether they ever considered it or not.

No need to go over the top - any person with an ounce of brainmatter will realize this is a commercial suicide. Games requite the medium (optical disc) to be inserted anyway in order to play so when one lends his medium to a friend he cannot play anymore himself ... and this is no different to lending the entire console with game license somehow tied to the specific bit of hardware.

If somebody came up with this "bright" idea for real they will be getting sacked pretty soon ... for real ;)

Processor i7 2600k@4.6ghz
Motherboard MSI z68ma-ed55
Cooling Silentx Extreem 120mm
Memory 2x4gb XMS 7-8-7-20 1600
Video Card(s) HD6870
Storage 2x128gb Kingston Hyper-X (Raid0), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1)
Display(s) Soyo 24", Gateway 22"
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini 6x120mm fans.
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
It's like there challenging people to hack it.

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Processor Intel i7 2600K @4.6Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3)
Cooling Noctua nh-u12p se2
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz 9-10-9-27
Video Card(s) POWERCOLOR HD 7970 3GB
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 240GB SSD / 2*320GB WDC RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung 226BW 21" 1650*1080
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Professional PCI
Power Supply OCZ PC Power & Cooling 860W
Software Windows 7 x64
For Xbox 3 I was not planning on buying any games, just doing the gamefly deal. Doesn't look good for that plan.

It wont take long for the new X-box to be hacked whenever it comes out.....just do that and dont bother paying or renting to play any of the games and game free of console one player per copy limitations.

Aside from this ridiculous DRM, If that story about the AMD 6670 turns out to be true then Microsoft can stick thier X-Box 720 right up thier monopolistic ringpieces. For a Q4 2013 scheduled console, that would be a shockingly weak GPU regardless of any 'closed system' optimisations. My gut feeling is that so long as thier is a modicum of competition from Sony, then this report cannot be true as even if Sony opted to build thier PS4 around a HD 6850 level GPU (still very cheap to do), then the X-Box 720 is simply going to look really really bad and it will fail miserably....

.....if on the otherhand Microsoft know what the competition or lack of competition is, then anything is possible in terms of just how shitty they can get away with making thier new X-Box in order to maximise profit margins....and lets face it, if thier is nothing else then people will buy it.

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
It wont take long for the new X-box to be hacked whenever it comes out.....just do that and dont bother paying or renting to play any of the games and game free of console one player per copy limitations.

Aside from this ridiculous DRM, If that story about the AMD 6670 turns out to be true then Microsoft can stick thier X-Box 720 right up thier monopolistic ringpieces. For a Q4 2013 scheduled console, that would be a shockingly weak GPU regardless of any 'closed system' optimisations. My gut feeling is that so long as thier is a modicum of competition from Sony, then this report cannot be true as even if Sony opted to build thier PS4 around a HD 6850 level GPU (still very cheap to do), then the X-Box 720 is simply going to look really really bad and it will fail miserably....

.....if on the otherhand Microsoft know what the competition or lack of competition is, then anything is possible in terms of just how shitty they can get away with making thier new X-Box in order to maximise profit margins....and lets face it, if thier is nothing else then people will buy it.

Maybe according to rumors MS will release weaker boxes first.?

NevadaPuma

"This is terrible news to services such as GameStop, which deal in used games and consoles."

It's also terrible news for gamers, both for consumer rights and monetary reasons.

Or it would be, if it were confirmed, which it isn't yet.

Also, while I see the many advantages to a system like Steam, I'm just not personally willing to surrender control over whether or not I can install and play games I buy, and resell them if I wish. This is why I don't use Steam.

Any mechanism that prevents me from selling or buying used games, or prevents me from installing a game without checking to see if it's okay with a server somewhere, is something I will not participate in, be it console or PC. I really hope that consoles don't go down this path.

Last edited:

tnn500af

If that is indeed true I will vote with my feet - kiss my money good by Microsoft.

Would an HD 6670 at least 4x powerful as the current XBOX? All it needs to do is play current games at 1080p with high settings. What I really what is multiple display outputs. It would be great to hook in 4 screens to one xbox and be able to play multi-player Xbox 360 games at 720p.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I'll believe the "No used games" thing when I see it. Rumors like this go around every new generation of consoles.

ktr

Would an HD 6670 at least 4x powerful as the current XBOX?

Hard to tell from old reviews because of different testing hardware and software. But I would say about 4x faster than the current Xbox360 GPU, which is PC equivalent to an ATI X1800XT.

I am going based off this: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/call_of_duty_4_demo_performance/page3.asp

Considering the 6670 is close to performance to the 4850, which is close to performance to the 8800GTX.

And the 7900GT is close to performance to the X1800XT.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
No used games = No Thanks
HD 6670 = Already Obsolete = No Thanks
Blu-Ray based? I can care less. HD DVD on the other hand would be the BEST choice especially if they want to cut down on piracy.

Anyhow 1) Go buy a Blu-Ray player, game consoles are for gaming 2) also a major drawback about using old graphics is the bloody lazy developers porting games onto PC.

Govern youself accordingly MS or you'll end up with a flop :D

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Go buy a Blu-Ray player, game consoles are for gaming

That is like saying my gaming PC shouldn't be used for browsing the internet, it is just asinine.

In todays market a game console should do way more than play game, they should be essentially a HTPC. In fact I use my PS3 for watching movies far more than I use it to actually play games. Not including a Blu-Ray player would be a shot in the foot.

NevadaPuma

I'll believe the "No used games" thing when I see it. Rumors like this go around every new generation of consoles.

True. However, it's becoming more and more obvious that it's exactly the sort of move that companies would make if they can get away with it, and they keep getting away with more and more. It is a fact, not a rumor, that Sony has taken out a patent on such technology (Patent #6,816,972). Obviously they haven't used it yet, but it's undeniable that they've at least thought about it, which is already a discouraging step.

So while I will also believe it when I see it, I'm also on the watch for it, because it wouldn't surprise me at this point. Unfortunately.

And everyone keep in mind; they only get away with stuff like this if we keep buying it.

GunsAblazin

Where's a hacker when you need one?

If you can have your account on multiple systems that would solve the loaning problem, but would it still kill used sales - unless you're willing to give out your account information when you sell it. If this is the way it's going to be, I expect prices to drop dramatically since developers will "finally" be getting 100% of the sales - unless hackers have something to with it.

This is the type of thing they do with software all the time and it's not such a big deal. The problem is games have traditionally came on disks which can't be played without it; now that it's available in digital form games are essentially just software and can be exploited in the same ways (pirating, hacking etc.). Used game sales really aren’t the problem. Publishers choose to attack that market because they can more easily solve that issue.

Last edited:
System Name The Baconator
Processor Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.00GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-790FX
Cooling Zalman 9900 CPU Cooler
Memory 16Gb DDR3 @ 1600MHz
Video Card(s) ATi Radeon HD 5870
Storage OS: WD 300Gb @ 10,000rpm. Storage: 2 x 1Tb @ 7,200rpm
Display(s) ASUS 27" LED 1080p Monitor
Case Cooler Master Sniper Medium Tower
Audio Device(s) MoBo Integrated
Power Supply Corsair PSU 750W
Hard to tell from old reviews because of different testing hardware and software. But I would say about 4x faster than the current Xbox360 GPU, which is PC equivalent to an ATI X1800XT.

I am going based off this: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/call_of_duty_4_demo_performance/page3.asp

Considering the 6670 is close to performance to the 4850, which is close to performance to the 8800GTX.

And the 7900GT is close to performance to the X1800XT.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I checked, the WiiU's GPU is based off the 4890, and if you're telling the "720" is going to be as powerful as the 4850, this would be quite the turn of events. At the very least no "Sorry, can't port the game because the system isn't powerful enough to handle it" like the current gen.

That is like saying my gaming PC shouldn't be used for browsing the internet, it is just asinine.

In todays market a game console should do way more than play game, they should be essentially a HTPC. In fact I use my PS3 for watching movies far more than I use it to actually play games. Not including a Blu-Ray player would be a shot in the foot.

I wholeheartedly agree. It's like saying I shouldn't do anything with my phone besides placing calls, granted that it is its "main purpose", even though people nowadays text more than they call.

I've had my PS3 for a couple of years now. Never planned on owning one, but got it as a gift (personally would never buy a SONY product). Until last year when I bought Mortal Kombat, I never even had a game for the thing, and used it exclusively to watch Blu-Ray movies.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
Mortal Kombat is awesome.

ktr

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I checked, the WiiU's GPU is based off the 4890, and if you're telling the "720" is going to be as powerful as the 4850, this would be quite the turn of events. At the very least no "Sorry, can't port the game because the system isn't powerful enough to handle it" like the current gen.

Wii U is based on a custom R770, which is either the 4830/50/70. The 4890 is R790. So probably around the same ball park in terms of GPU performance.

Regardless, both next-gen consoles are disappointing in specs.

System Name The Baconator
Processor Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.00GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-790FX
Cooling Zalman 9900 CPU Cooler
Memory 16Gb DDR3 @ 1600MHz
Video Card(s) ATi Radeon HD 5870
Storage OS: WD 300Gb @ 10,000rpm. Storage: 2 x 1Tb @ 7,200rpm
Display(s) ASUS 27" LED 1080p Monitor
Case Cooler Master Sniper Medium Tower
Audio Device(s) MoBo Integrated
Power Supply Corsair PSU 750W
Wii U is based on a custom R770, which is either the 4830/50/70. The 4890 is R790. So probably around the same ball park in terms of GPU performance.

Regardless, both next-gen consoles are disappointing in specs.

Consoles have ALWAYS been behind PC's when it comes to GPU's, hardly anything new. Nobody is expecting a 6990 inside the WiiU or PS4. I actually think a console with the performance of a 4870 isn't THAT bad, considering it was a top-of-the-line GPU just a few years back.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670