• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pairing HD 6950 2gb with GTS250 512mb ???

Dolph

Hey guys, just recently upgraded my gpu to the xfx hd radeon 6950 (bought feb 6th, canada)

Note: For those who are unlocking these cards, there are no longer dual bios switches on the newer reference cards, at least xfx's. Havent attempted an unlock yet.

Purpose of this thread, as you may have guesed from the title, is im going to attemp to pair my gts250, to run physx for my 6950. Firstly, is this smart? Will isee a performance increase? Secondly, are their any precautions or things i need to tweak to make this possible? And lastly, do i use my sli bridge or my xfire bridge?

I appologize if this thread was already started but i did not see it.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Only thing you will gain is physx but not many games use it so the waisted power is not worth it. I would just throw it up on the BST section and get alittle money for it.

Dolph

Hmm, i dont feel as though i coudl get much for my GTS250 nowadays you think? Maybe. I have an abundance of older hardware sitting in my storage containers beside me, i could probably get another 6950 if i sold everything... lol much more inticing haha. Although, in the next while, ill be attempting an unlock, and id like to have a space pcie card around to flash it back to original bios if i happen to brick it. So maybe then i guess?

Edit: Thanks for the input btw :), i dont think my 600W PSU would be to happy with an old nvidia suckin juice for nothing.

System Name Titan
Processor AMD FX-8350 4.6ghz
Motherboard AsRock 990FX Fatal1ty Professional
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX Double D 7970 3gb
Storage Western Digital Green 2TB 64mb Cache/ Western Digital 500gb
Display(s) iMac Display 2560 x 1440
Case NZXT Switch 810 White
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Windows 7 64-bit
PhysX is a cheap gimmick kind of like 3D gaming.

brandonwh64

Hmm, i dont feel as though i coudl get much for my GTS250 nowadays you think? Maybe. I have an abundance of older hardware sitting in my storage containers beside me, i could probably get another 6950 if i sold everything... lol much more inticing haha. Although, in the next while, ill be attempting an unlock, and id like to have a space pcie card around to flash it back to original bios if i happen to brick it. So maybe then i guess?

Edit: Thanks for the input btw :), i dont think my 600W PSU would be to happy with an old nvidia suckin juice for nothing.

Make sure you load GPUz and SAVE your original bios PLEASE

Dolph

Make sure you load GPUz and SAVE your original bios PLEASE

Absolutely, if i had my dualbios switch i would have attempted it. Ive been reading this forum alot about the 6950 unlock. From my opinion of reading, its definately not needed for my setup atm... considering i am being bottlenecked by my cpu (e6400 2.13 @ 2.944). Until i upgrade my cpu/mobo, theres not much point in risking my card for nothing.

I appreciate your concern though, i will screenshot, write down, winflash save my current bios and store on different pc's. I will be very careful :).

Note: Also, its kinda funny, ill post a screen shot or maybe you can see it in a pic somewhere, but there are still numbers on the card for the bios switch placement, shows '1 and 2' where the switch is supposed to be, but its not there rofl.

brandonwh64

As long as you have a PCI video card do to recoveries with and a stock bios from GPUZ. I say try it and if it doesn't work just rock the 6950 shaders.

I would use w1z's method though

Dolph

Will do, for sure, ill take extra precautions and steps to make sure i can do it safely. Have never sold anything on here before, probably not having any sort of heatware might not be good for me to sell anything :(, worth a shot i guess. Currently the gts250 is my only backup
so, gunna need to do my unlock first.

brandonwh64

Will do, for sure, ill take extra precautions and steps to make sure i can do it safely. Have never sold anything on here before, probably not having any sort of heatware might not be good for me to sell anything :(, worth a shot i guess. Currently the gts250 is my only backup
so, gunna need to do my unlock first.

As long as your honest, communicate well, and ship promptly then you will do fine in the BST section. Start heatware account and start building your rep!