• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Multi-GPU Madness

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
Okay, let's pretend I have this elusive thing I heard about once that was called..... oh, what was it..... "monev"....no, wait.....was it "money"? I think so...... OK, we'll stick with that whether it's right or wrong........ (note that I really don't have any, this is just for planning once I do get some)

Now, not taking a look at my current rig (because, well....) what do you all think about the current state of SLI/Crossfire? Would it be worth it to get two video cards, assuming one of these (it doesn't really have to be that specific mobo, the important thing is dual 16x PCIe2.0 - and this isn't a rig-building thread so don't sit there and tell me to get a different one) got catapulted out of a warehouse and into my home through a series/parallel of unrelated events? And if so, is SLI or Crossfire better?

I really don't care about the last 2 questions all that much, but most importantly, is the current state of multi-GPU solutions good (works for a lot of games, actually increases performance, stable, etc), and what are the ups and downs (aside from the obvious power and cooling and sound)?

Please don't turn this into a fanboi thread. Pretty please?

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
SLI > Crossfire right now.

Going with older generations of CPUs/mobos would hurt your multi-gpu config a bit. Well, it's more like Sandy Bridge had improvements over the previous gen. Nothing really attractive in the AMD front especially if you're going to use multiple cards.

Depends on what you mean with "a lot of games" though. Of course it actually increases performance. Well unless you go Crossfire and AMD still don't do anything with their drivers and profiles (remember than the HD 7970 in Crossfire performs worse than a single HD 7970 in Skyrim for example).

System Name FragBox
Processor Intel Core i7 2600K @ 5.0GHz/1.45 volts
Motherboard Asus P8Z77 WS
Cooling Custom CPU loop
Memory Kingston 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Galaxy GTX 680/Zotac GTX 680 in SLi/EVGA GTX 650Ti
Storage 2 Vertex 3 120's, raid 0, 2 Seagate Momentus XT 500GB's in raid 0, 1 Hitatchi 2TB for backup
Display(s) 3 Acer S232HLX2 in nvidia surround
Case Corsair C70 White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Win 7 x64 Pro
Ive used SLi on and off again for years, I have yet to reach an issue where it wouldn't work, save for a game not having an SLi profile, but you can make your own and with a quick google search find what others are using for profiles.

Nvidia drivers seem to be more stable, I see a decent amount of complaints about amd's driver support.

the only real downside is microstuttering, but I don't notice it myself.

yangwangbrock

System Name Maximus
Processor Intel I7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Maximus Extreme - Z
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16 GB LP
Video Card(s) Asus HD 6970 Direct CU II
Storage Crucial M4 128 GB SSD; Patriot Wildfire 120 GB; Western Digital Black Cavier 1 TB
Display(s) 3 x Dell 2412M
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX 1200
Software Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
SLI > Crossfire right now.

Going with older generations of CPUs/mobos would hurt your multi-gpu config a bit. Well, it's more like Sandy Bridge had improvements over the previous gen. Nothing really attractive in the AMD front especially if you're going to use multiple cards.

Depends on what you mean with "a lot of games" though. Of course it actually increases performance. Well unless you go Crossfire and AMD still don't do anything with their drivers and profiles (remember than the HD 7970 in Crossfire performs worse than a single HD 7970 in Skyrim for example).

SLI> CF? What is your proof?

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
I have been using CF since the X1900 series and never looked back...I actually use two X2 ATI cards and love it! I cant say I have had any issues other than I wish they folded better.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
For now... at least... all you have to do is read the 7xxx CF scaling reviews by W1zzard on the front page. Next gen NV? Who knows... It does seem to me more complaints about CF, but that's 100% anectodal.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
i have used crossfire a few times now as i get a top end card , then a baby bro gfx card a year or so later and xfire them ,I had a 3870(on day 1)then got another and crossfired and now have 5870-5850 xfired and i find them to be fine ,so long as you dont go out and buy the latest card out x2, because they do take some time to get all games working right , but thats the same with single gpu new cards from either vendor.

dont get me wrong ,even initially xfire/sli new cards or single gpu work 98% right from day 1 but that 2% gets ironed out in the first few months, and last gen xfire/ sli tend to work brilliantly

and yes i get decent performance 10000 max attainable 3d mark11 score(catalyst enforced tweeks all round), 2500 in uniengine v2.5 though mine are both waterblocked and at 1000 core 1200 mem

and 79xx cards WILL be amazeing in crossfire given a bit of time in the games others choose to mention ,ie the ones that arent working right now(skyrim), i mean come on why point out the few that dont work so great when i bet a great many games work fine on 7xxx from the off

and its the same with SLI as you WILL see when kepler comes out except it will be AMD fanbois pointing out the odd one or two games that dont work so well initially;)

Last edited:
System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
SLI> CF? What is your proof?

Don't get him wrong, I am assuming he is referring to drivers and not the performance they both offer. I can humbly agree for now that crossfire has been slow recently, as their support for launching CF profiles for new titles lately have been quite horrible. But yeah most of those games did have issues with their performance on their own though namely Rage and Skyrim.

The only way I can sum it down for the OP is if you're a PC enthusiast, don't even think about it and just pull the trigger as it is damn satisfying seeing the performance of the Multi-GPU configuration, but of course there are alot of obstacles that you might have to go through to get it running properly for some titles but that's part of the fun. If you're just a gamer then don't even bother with a multi-GPU setup.. buy the best single GPU you can afford such as GTX 580 or a 6970 and up and you'll never run into any annoying issues with game releases.

I personally love the multi gpu technology and don't mind having to bear with the issues I could possibly have with them as I find that the performance you get in the end and the quality of the gfx is the best you'd be able to get in a gaming device.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
is the current state of multi-GPU solutions good (works for a lot of games, actually increases performance, stable, etc), and what are the ups and downs (aside from the obvious power and cooling and sound)?

Multi-GPU, whether Crossfire or SLi, works fine. Crossfire has better efficiency, but SLi seems less problematic right now with new games.

That said, the down-side is that if you want the best Multi-GPU can give, you need to use an Intel system. You may lose up to 50% performance with an AMD CPU vs amnd Intel CPU, depending on the app and what AMD CPU is used.