• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dual E5645 mini-build log

T

twilyth

I didn't want to clutter up the team page and this isn't going to be a big deal with any mods or such. It's just mainly going to be a pix gallery. BTW, it seems that I bought some engineering samples rather than honest to god E5645's. Anyone want to very what I have? I'll look at the imprints tomorrow but couldn't really make it out tonight.

And now, a few posed like one of my French girls - with fans - Ooo La La.

System Name Slick
Processor Intel i5 2467M
Motherboard Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook
Memory 8GB Corsair Value
Storage Crucial M4 7mm 256GB
Display(s) 13"
Software Windows 8 Pro x64
Very nice. See that you went for server cpu coolers in the end. Subscribed to see some more.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
BTW, it seems that I bought some engineering samples rather than honest to god E5645's. Anyone want to very what I have?

If I remember right, the ES chips don't have a locked multiplier. They are what every one with Sr-2's want for overclocking.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Nice playstation ;) Xeon 56xx and accompanying chipset is so much better than 5400 and those silly hot FBDIMMs that I have!

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
How is that board working for you so far? I've read so many reviews and comments about it (mostly bad) that it swayed me to go the SR-2 route. I could've gotten one for cheap last year.

T

twilyth

If I remember right, the ES chips don't have a locked multiplier. They are what every one with Sr-2's want for overclocking.
Thanks man. Since I have no real use for the unlocked multi, should I off these as an even trade to people with dual 5645? I don't want to go lower on the clock speed. I will of course be happy to go up. Or should just I just get my ass in gear and build the damned thing?

Serious question btw. Thanks. :toast:
How is that board working for you so far? I've read so many reviews and comments about it (mostly bad) that it swayed me to go the SR-2 route. I could've gotten one for cheap last year.

Yeah,I cheaped out on the board. Was going to get the SR2 but was penny wise and pound foolish. After the reg'd dram and other stuff, would have worked out the same or cheaper. D'oh. :banghead:

But will keep everyone informed. Thanks. :)

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Software Win11 Pro 64
Thanks man. Since I have no real use for the unlocked multi, should I off these as an even trade to people with dual 5645? I don't want to go lower on the clock speed. I will of course be happy to go up. Or should just I just get my ass in gear and build the damned thing?

Are you going to trade them? If so what are you looking to get?

T

twilyth

Are you going to trade them? If so what are you looking to get?
For someone who has a pair of E5645's or better and is a TPU cruncher, it would be an even trade. Each pays their own shipping.

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
Software Win11 Pro 64
For someone who has a pair of E5645's or better and is a TPU cruncher, it would be an even trade. Each pays their own shipping.

I see. I can't help there, all I have a legit X5570's (quad cores). My other SR-2 has X5670's ;)

System Name Slick
Processor Intel i5 2467M
Memory 8GB Corsair Value
Display(s) 13"

My L5639's are ES too but not unlocked multi :( Must be something for X series.

Serious question btw. Thanks. :toast:

Build it now, decide later?

I see. I can't help there, all I have a legit X5570's (quad cores). My other SR-2 has X5670's ;)

If you get bored of them 5670's... :rolleyes:

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
Software Win11 Pro 64
My L5639's are ES too but not unlocked multi :( Must be something for X series.

They should be unlocked too! Is the board they are in allow overclocking?

I'd keep them. You can put the in any lga1366 mobo too, they don't have to be in a server board. Then you'll see what they can really do!

System Name Slick
Processor Intel i5 2467M
Memory 8GB Corsair Value
Display(s) 13"
Any updates twilyth?

They should be unlocked too! Is the board they are in allow overclocking?

SR-2. Though I appear to have an old BIOS, that needs flashing (can't see any option for Turbo for example). Will play around this weekend see how it goes.

T

twilyth

Thanks Kiex. I almost got the m/b in yesterday but misplaced a stand-off. I normally wouldn't have bothered with the last row but I'm trying to do everything right. I even put in the back panel cover - which I NEVER do. I haven't done anything on it today so I'll try to at least get the board in and wired up tonight - hopefully. :)

T

twilyth

got the board in last night with the existing PSU, so I have a NIB backup - or I guess I could return it.

It powered up immediately and went looking for the boot rom on the network.

Now I just have to install Home Server 2011. Found a NIB 4 port switch since the room I'm building it in only has one ethernet line. Also had just gotten a slim, portable DVD writer, so I can use that for the install.

Not sure if I'll leave it in the spare room or not. Heat is turned off in there so might be the best choice. Looking forward to seeing how much of a bump this is going to give me. My RAC is about 18k but I had to set one of the 2600k to suspend when in use since I'm getting a lot of cursor lag on SN2S. I should probably be closer to 20k. According to the points calculator it will only do 5k, which seems odd but I think it's broken since that is also the score for 1 hex-core. Therefore I figure it should be a 10k boost which will put me into the low 30's hopefully.

Will have to look into getting an SR2 I guess and running them at 3.5-4ghz.

T

twilyth

It seems that I had to turn off the network boot options in bios. Also installed an internal dvd drive. Finally got it to boot off the install disk and it should be done installing by now. It's probably too late to get any wu's in tonight, but will hopefully have nearly a full day for tomorrow - barring any more issues.

System Name Slick
Processor Intel i5 2467M
Memory 8GB Corsair Value
Display(s) 13"
Almost there!

T

twilyth

I have a problem. The machine seems to be running fine, but I only have 12 threads rather than 24. Do I have to turn on hyperthreading? because if so, I can't find it in the bios. Is i tpossible that only one chip is working? how do I tell. Very upset at the moment.

System Name Slick
Processor Intel i5 2467M
Memory 8GB Corsair Value
Display(s) 13"
I have a problem. The machine seems to be running fine, but I only have 12 threads rather than 24. Do I have to turn on hyperthreading? because if so, I can't find it in the bios. Is i tpossible that only one chip is working? how do I tell. Very upset at the moment.

Taking a look at the Manual, HyperThreading should be under:

Advanced> CPU Configuration

Setting called: Intel(r) HT Technology, leave [Enabled]

If it's not coming up with those settings, the problem probably lies elsewhere :(

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Is i tpossible that only one chip is working? how do I tell.

Did you try running CPU-Z and see if you have option for CPU 1 and 2?

T

twilyth

Taking a look at the Manual, HyperThreading should be under:

Advanced> CPU Configuration

Setting called: Intel(r) HT Technology, leave [Enabled]

If it's not coming up with those settings, the problem probably lies elsewhere :(
Thanks Kiex. Once I calmed down a bit I went through bios and saw that it was in fact enabled. That means one of the chips is bad.

How can I tell which socket? Should I flip the chips around? I'm absolutely certain that I assembled the board properly. Double checked that both coolers are working.
Did you try running CPU-Z and see if you have option for CPU 1 and 2?

Yes and there is only one cpu listed. Same in bios under advanced. As I asked Kiex, how can I tell which socket is the problem.

thanks guys. I really appreciate the blindingly fast responses. You da man/men. :toast: :toast: :toast:

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
As I asked Kiex, how can I tell which socket is the problem.

In the manual for the motherboard does it show which socket is "socket 0" and "socket 1?"

Run CPU-Z and look to see which socket is reporting. It should either be 0 or 1. That should explain which socket is the issue.

Also, what operating system are you running? Disregard that question, as I see you were installing Home Server 2011. Dude, Microsoft Home Server 2011 will ONLY support 1 physical processor!!! Windows 7 Home Premium will only support 1 as well. Windows 7 pro, ultimate, and enterprise will however support up to 2 physical processors. That is most likely your problem Twilyth.

Posted by Microsoft on 9/3/2010 at 11:02 AM

A business decision was made and Vail will only support 1 processor, with up to 4 cores, and only up to 8GB of RAM. This is expected.

Thanks,
Microsoft

Last edited:
System Name Slick
Processor Intel i5 2467M
Memory 8GB Corsair Value
Display(s) 13"
Thanks Kiex. Once I calmed down a bit I went through bios and saw that it was in fact enabled. That means one of the chips is bad.

How can I tell which socket? Should I flip the chips around? I'm absolutely certain that I assembled the board properly. Double checked that both coolers are working.

Yes and there is only one cpu listed. Same in bios under advanced. As I asked Kiex, how can I tell which socket is the problem.

thanks guys. I really appreciate the blindingly fast responses. You da man/men. :toast: :toast: :toast:

If it's not coming up in BIOS, that' gonna be some type of Hardware prob, as opposed to software. Start with checking all the power connectors are properly flush, then from BIOS load optimized defaults and reset CMOS (page 2-24 of manual)

Hope it ain't a bad CPU. Certainly 2P boards are a whole lot more hassle than we're used to.

T

twilyth

In the manual for the motherboard does it show which socket is "socket 0" and "socket 1?"

Run CPU-Z and look to see which socket is reporting. It should either be 0 or 1. That should explain which socket is the issue.

Also, what operating system are you running? Disregard that question, as I see you were installing Home Server 2011. Dude, Microsoft Home Server 2011 will ONLY support 1 physical processor!!! Windows 7 Home Premium will only support 1 as well. Windows 7 pro, ultimate, and enterprise will however support up to 2 physical processors. That is most likely your problem Twilyth.
How the fuck do they call it a server? Aw, nevermind. I get it. HOME server, not server server.

OK. I'll load w7 pro then. Hope I can do an upgrade install.

Here is the CPUZ display. If the the manual lists the sockets as 1 and 2, I assume that CPUZ means socket 0 when it says #1?

Thanks very much man. :toast: :toast: