• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to survive the end of the universe

T

twilyth

It's a long article but interesting. Excerpt is from the end on page 3

The universe would live on forever, though only as a shadow of its former vibrant self. It would gradually become darker, colder, and emptier as the scant remaining matter decays or gets sucked up by the giant black holes at the core of every galaxy. Once they have gobbled up every semblance of matter, in about 10[^]100 years, even the black holes will evaporate and disappear.

That is a bleak scenario, but it’s not the bleakest, says Dartmouth College physicist Robert Caldwell. According to his calculations, the Big Chill would be a 
happy ending compared with something he and his colleague Marc Kamionkowski have dubbed the Big Rip. In his 2003 paper “Phantom Energy and Cosmic Doomsday,” Caldwell explored the possibility that in the future dark energy will grow even stronger. At present it makes itself felt only over huge distances, such as the gaps between clusters of galaxies, but Caldwell says that some theories indicate that dark energy might just be kicking into gear. If that is the case, then within 20 billion years—fairly early in our sojourn around a red dwarf—dark energy could start to wreak havoc on much smaller objects.

Stars would be yanked away from galaxies. Then planets would be pulled from their stars. And in one extraordinary half hour, dark energy would progressively tear even the smallest pieces of the universe apart. Layer by layer, humanity’s home planet would be dismantled—first the atmosphere, then the crust, all the way down to the core—in a fantastic explosion. “Anything resting on the planet will just—whoosh—float off,” Caldwell says. In the final 10-19 second, dark energy would rip individual atoms apart. Finally, it will tear the very fabric of space-time at the seams, marking the official end of the universe. The only solace is that life’s extinction would be quick and painless.

Scientists know too little about dark energy to determine with any certainty whether the universe’s fate is a Big Chill, a Big Rip, or neither. Caldwell and other cosmologists are studying distant supernovas to measure the universe’s expansion and explore the trend of dark energy’s influence over time. “We’re right on the dividing line between the Big Chill and the Big Rip,” Caldwell says. “The window of uncertainty includes both possibilities.”

THE LAST ESCAPE

Even in the most optimistic forecast, dark energy will eventually starve us of resources in a Big Chill, but that leaves us 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 years to perfect the most extreme survival strategy of all: escaping the universe before it chills, rips, crunches, bounces, or snaps into nothingness (yes, those are all scenarios that physicists have considered).

Starkman holds out hope that someone somewhere will figure out 
how to mine the remains of dead stars and generate energy: “We can do really well going from star to star, slowly consuming them.”

Many cosmologists now believe there are other universes hidden from our view—as many as 10500, according to string theory, a leading approach to unifying all the universe’s physical laws into one elegant solution. This past August, Greek and German physicists used string-theory equations to demonstrate that it may be possible to develop wormholes connecting our universe to another. With 10500 to choose from, at least one should be suitable for life.

Just don’t look to Starkman for how-to advice. Tunneling through wormholes to other universes apparently crosses his delicate line separating scientific prognostication from 2012 theology. “Now we’re really getting speculative,” he says.

System Name Selene / Yoda
Processor Fx 8350 @ 4.4 / Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 r4.0 / Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Cooling H100i / Xig Dark Knight
Memory 4x 8gb G.Skill Snipers / 4x 4gb G.Skill Ares
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 290x / XfX DD & VisionTek HD6850's C'fired
Storage 256gb ssd, 2x 2tb Wd Blacks & 1x 1tb Wd black / 1x 1tb
Display(s) Dell Ultra Sharp 2408 WFp / Hp w2207
Case Raidmax Vampire / Chieftec Alum. Dragon Blue
Audio Device(s) Onboard Hd Audio / Onboard Hd Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX 850 watt / Corsair TX 750 watt
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 10 pro / Win Vista Home prem. 64 bit
Benchmark Scores What are benchmarks anyway?
I'm in the process of building my own YT-1300 freighter, The Corellian Engineering Corporation is such a nightmare to deal with but when finished I be ready for the end of our world. :toast:

Now how many will google my new toy?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Didn't need Google to know what the most awesome ship ever made is. ;)

Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
You da man.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
GOD I WISH IT WOULD ALL HAPPEN RIGHT NOW!
Who cares by the time all this crap even happens AMD might just have a faster CPU than Intel and then Bang just like that it is all over!

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
OH THE IRONY!!!

I think a ship like the Battlestar Galactica would be suited best with the way its FTL works... From a visual perspective anyway. It would be a crapshoot though. You could enter the data to jump the ship as far away as you want, you just don't know where you're going to land.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
OH THE IRONY!!!

I think a ship like the Battlestar Galactica would be suited best with the way it's FTL works... From a visual perspective anyway.

NO way the USS Enterprise would be far better suited for this because it has shield generators!

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
NO way the USS Enterprise would be far better suited for this because it has shield generators!

Sheild generators would be of no use in this scenario.. Though, the teleporters might. It would work in the same way as a Battlestar FTL drive. But really the only way I can see this being done with with some sort of inter-dimensional device. I don't think you can be driving along in universe #1, then just cross some border into #2.

Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Okay if we are going just for pure survival here the the Galactica or Pegasus would win hands due to sheer size and the fact they are basically Space "cities". Complete with there own fleet of fighters (Vipers). And I would have to have Starbuck.

Maybe I can have my Falcon on the Galactica. :toast:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
I don't think you can be driving along in universe #1, then just cross some border into #2.

Yeah me too. But do you really think that man kind will even see this day any way? I mean look at us! Barely out of dippers as it is and we are on the brink of self destruction! I think that man kind will not make it to this day. Some huge space object will wipe us out long before we ever see the end of the universe! At least I hope so!

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
In the 1850s, it was thought that the universe would die of "heat death" through the process of entropy...

"The heat death of the universe is a suggested ultimate fate of the universe, in which the universe has diminished to a state of no thermodynamic free energy and therefore can no longer sustain motion or life."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

It sounds eerily similar to the "Big Chill" :cool: Our minds have to rationalize the rational world around us, yet there is still an infinite amount to ever be discovered.

Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Hence our "Ships"

T

twilyth

Yeah me too. But do you really think that man kind will even see this day any way? I mean look at us! Barely out of dippers as it is and we are on the brink of self destruction! I think that man kind will not make it to this day. Some huge space object will wipe us out long before we ever see the end of the universe! At least I hope so!
One of the many things I find amusing is how people think I'm daft because of some of the things I tell them only for them to find the exact same information, 10 or 20 years later, on the news and in the headlines. I know I'm patting myself on the back, but fuck it. I was telling people about the dangers of an asteroid strike over 20 years ago and got labeled "crazy" by my knuckle-dragging co-workers - who weren't stupid people by any means. Ten years later it gets made into a movie. Well, I suppose I should at least be grateful that enough people saw the danger that they actually did something about it - that's more than I can say unfortunately.
In the 1850s, it was thought that the universe would die of "heat death" through the process of entropy...

"The heat death of the universe is a suggested ultimate fate of the universe, in which the universe has diminished to a state of no thermodynamic free energy and therefore can no longer sustain motion or life."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

It sounds eerily similar to the "Big Chill" :cool: Our minds have to rationalize the rational world around us, yet there is still an infinite amount to ever be discovered.
This is why I always try to preach the idea of not being bound by artificial constructs like "logic." Reason and rationality - of course, but that's not always the same thing. Until you can see beyond the limits you impose on yourself, you'll just keep recycling the same old ideas. /rant.

Jdat

Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard Asrock z77 extreme4
Cooling Silver arrow
Memory Gskill RX 2x4GB DDR3 1600mhz CL9
Video Card(s) 5870
Storage Samsung 830 64GB + 1TB HDD
Power Supply Thermaltake 750w
Well, I really hope that universe will crunch itself. The idea of full entropy dislikes my a lot. Imagine, heat / infinite. What a depressing end..

If humans don't kill ourselves, we'll be like a plague. Spreading carbon life around the galaxy..
I can see some angry aliens, lol too much startrek

By that time humans will be so advanced and cool that they could easily alter space-time and stop the ever growing entropy. They could create other universe and stuff like that.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
By that time humans will be so advanced and cool that they could easily alter space-time and stop the ever growing entropy. They could create other universe and stuff like that.

True to a point that people are getting more advanced but people are all so getting dumber too.

Even if some one survive the end, they would not survive the after most people would not know how to cope with having a local shop lol.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
I though we couldn't travel between universes because of some rule against adding or subtracting energy to the universe.

Processor C2D E8400@3.9GHz (488x8, 1.4v :( )
Motherboard Abit IP35-E
Cooling Thermaltake Sonic Tower+120mm fan
Memory 2GB kingmax ddr1066@976MHz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Radeon X1800GTO @700/1400MHz with Accelero S1+Glacialtech fancard
Storage 2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 793s... just you laugh...
Case some Aplus case
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC888
Power Supply Chieftec 450W
Software Win7 x64
how to survive the end of the universe? man that shit's easy - go get yourself assimilated.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
No one get's out of life alive!

Diapers? I don't remember having any dippers...

Humanity is a less than reasonable assumption. Homo Sapien will likely see its end long before the universe. We may be the fore runners of the fore runners of those that see the end, who knows. To think that some iteration of what we currently are will last those milennia is hubris in the extreme.

You're welcome to conjecture about the end of humanity, and its follies. At the same time, we're the only chance for Earth to still have life if a chunk of rock decides to finally come after us. Nobel or not, survival of this planet will depend on humans stepping up to the plate and solving bigger issues. Whether you have faith in good nature or not, a problem that large will bring every human together. Call me sentimental, but there's nothing like a disaster to bring people together.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
i don't think we should care about this;we have our problems now which must be solved;let the people who may live after 10.000...... years (if we don't kill our-self till than) to have headache about that so "live long and prosper" ironic no?

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
I'm of to see my mate ford Prefect and Arthur Dent I got a towel and my hitchhikers's guide to the Galaxy)
I'm going to put my faith in the infiniate inprobability drive (its so superior when compared to warp/wormhole drives

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
(i read only the quote) good and accurate up to "THE LAST ESCAPE
", star trek after that

edit: actually the description of the big rip isnt that great. i thought big rip was caldwell's invention, is he the original author of the linked article or only mentioned for credibility?

during the big rip the event horizon of "your" universe will shrink over time, which means that you can't see particles beyond that event horizon and those particles won't be able to interact with the particles near you, so no gravity or electromagnetism.
this means for every observer at the same time, the observer's local view of the universe becomes smaller and smaller. i always think of star trek tng episode "remember me" when the big rip comes up

Last edited: