• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google, Yahoo and other search engines affecting memory, study says

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
its kinda old but i guess its still interesting

Google may be changing the way our brains remember information, according to research released Thursday.

In a series of experiments, Columbia University psychologist Betsy Sparrow and her colleagues produced evidence that people are more likely to remember things they do not think they can find using a computer and vice versa. In addition, people are better at remembering where to look for information on the Internet than they are remembering the information itself, the studies found..

“Since the advent of search engines, we are reorganizing the way we remember things,”Sparrow said in a news release issued with the research, which was published in a paper in the journal Science. “Our brains rely on the Internet for memory in much the same way they rely on the memory of a friend, family member or co-worker. We remember less through knowing information itself than by knowing where the information can be found.”

In the paper, titled, “Google Effects on Memory: Consequences of having information at our Fingertips,” the researchers described a set of four experiments. In the first, the researchers asked 46 Harvard University undergraduates a series of true-false questions such as, ”An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain,” and then showed them words in different colors. When the words were related to the Internet, such as Google or Yahoo, the students responded more slowly, indicating they were already thinking about browsing the Web for the answers.

The researchers then gave 60 students 40 statements and asked them to type the information on a computer. Those who were told the information would be saved had a much harder time remembering the statements than those who were told it would be erased.

In the third test, 28 Columbia students were asked a series of trivia questions and allowed to take notes. The students who were told the information would be saved in one of six computer folders had a harder time remembering the information than those who were told it would be erased. In the last experiment, 34 Columbia undergrads were told the information would be saved in various files with names like “Facts,” “Data” and “Names.” The students remembered the file names better than the information itself, the researchers found.

The findings show “there is no doubt that our strategies are shifting in learning,” Roddy Roediger, a psychologist at Washington University, told Science in an accompanying article. “Why remember something if I know I can look it up again? In some sense, with Google and other search engines, we can offload some of our memory demands onto machines.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-checkup/post/google-yahoo-and-other-search-engines-affecting-memory-study-says/2011/07/14/gIQAuSabEI_blog.html
or
http://news.columbia.edu/googlememory
or
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/15/health/15memory.html?_r=1

System Name WorkStation
Processor Intel i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Cooling Corsair H110 Water Cooler AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX680 Twin Frozr III OC
Storage WD 1TB Sata III
Display(s) Samsung 22-inch LED 1080p
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek 898 HD
Power Supply Corsair CS750M Gold
Software Windows 8.1 Pro x64
True, now I can't remember most of the spellings I knew back in 5th grade.

System Name Better than before
Processor 10400
Motherboard B460 Pro4
Cooling Id-Cooling 224
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) 1650 Super
Storage Swordfish 500 GB
Display(s) AOC G2
Case Coolermaster Ammo 533
Audio Device(s) Micca MB42X
Power Supply Pure Power 11
Mouse G403
Keyboard Sidewinder x4
Software Windows 10 (ugh)
Embrace it.

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
Interesting and understandable Though if someone does forget something they googled or even knew before, they can google it again, no harm done.

But what's being missed is the effort it takes to find valuable and reliable information on the internet, not just finding information. Perhaps we don't remember as much as would if we read a book about it, but our other senses are being sharpened, those required to sift through all the garbage the google shares.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Hold on, I need to Google for a response.

System Name Multipurpose desktop
Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1605T @ 3.75Ghz , NB @ 2.5
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (rev 1.0)
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C, 2x120mm CM Blademaster
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP (4x4GB) @1666Mhz 9-9-9-20-24 1T
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix R7-370 4GB OC
Storage 2x WD Caviar Black 500GB Sata III in RAID 0
Display(s) Acer S211HL 21.5" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Centurion 534+, 3x 120mm CM Sickle Flow
Power Supply Seasonic X650 Gold
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium SP1
That's a little depressing.
But not surprising. Students are learning that it's not necessary to commit something to long term memory; they can just do the search again when they need the information. Not everyone is like that though... just most people ;)
Then again, the vast majority of kids who go to University shouldn't be there anyway, and should be applying themselves more productively at Community Colleges, Technical schools, and the Trades.
So, I take it with a grain of salt. To me it just means that a lot of people were tested that thirty or forty years ago, would not even have been available to test, by a University psychology department.

It's like the illusion of average IQ scores rising; we're not really getting smarter, its just that the dumb people are not as dumb as they were in the past.
We're not really losing memory skills to any large extent, it's just that a lot of lazy people who would not have been able to get into university because they did not have the research skills and discipline necessary, are relying on their smartphones and computers to find them the information they need. And it's these people, for the most part, that are being studied.

The dull, lazy people are not as dull as they used to be.
*BAM!*

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
Students are learning that it's not necessary to commit something to long term memory; they can just do the search again when they need the information. Not everyone is like that though... just most people ;)

Like when I went to the doctor on Thursday. The doctor was talking about why I'm sick and how to treat it, he checks some app on his iphone for what to perscribe. That doesn't instill confidence in me that he knows what he was doing. Then again, he was Indian... Then again, I think he was a resident... Then again, maybe he was texting...?

System Name Main PC
Processor PII 925 x4 @3.724GHz (266x14) 1.525v NB 2660 1.425v
Motherboard Gigabyte AM3 GA-890XA-UD3 (790x+SB850)
Cooling Scythe Mugen 2 rev.B
Memory Hyperx 8GB (2x4) 1600@1418 8-7-7-20-27-1t
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 256GB SSD / 2TB HDD
Display(s) LCD Samsung 24" 16:9
Case Cooler Master HAF 912
Audio Device(s) On-Board HD
Power Supply CM 750w GX |3.3v@25a|5v@25a|12v@60a
Software Kubuntu dual boot /Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores later...
A search engines , what's that? :p

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
Does this mean that a child in a 3rd world country looses their memory because they are connected to the www?
Does it also mean that every library that exists is better than a search engine?

This article is FUD.

System Name Gamers PC
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.80 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3
Cooling Corsair H50 Cooler
Memory Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Storage 2 x WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA300 w/64MB Buffer (RAID 0)
Display(s) Samsung 2494SW 1080p 24" WS LCD HD
Case CM HAF 932 Full Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-FI TITANIUM -PCIE x 1
Power Supply Corsair TX Series CMPSU-650TX (650W)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Google = $500 stock price :eek:

By that logic i am more likely to forget things if i know there is any source nearby, which could include books. Stupid.

System Name Multipurpose desktop
Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1605T @ 3.75Ghz , NB @ 2.5
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (rev 1.0)
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C, 2x120mm CM Blademaster
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP (4x4GB) @1666Mhz 9-9-9-20-24 1T
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix R7-370 4GB OC
Storage 2x WD Caviar Black 500GB Sata III in RAID 0
Display(s) Acer S211HL 21.5" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Centurion 534+, 3x 120mm CM Sickle Flow
Power Supply Seasonic X650 Gold
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium SP1
Does this mean that a child in a 3rd world country looses their memory because they are connected to the www?
Does it also mean that every library that exists is better than a search engine?

This article is FUD.

Fear Uncertainty Doubt? Maybe you should have looked that up :rolleyes:

By that logic i am more likely to forget things if i know there is any source nearby, which could include books. Stupid.

That statement is a misuse of logic. You're more likely to retain information if it is more difficult to attain, and less likely to retain it if it is easy to attain. That's the main idea behind the studies. I can tell you from personal experience, it is not 'easy' to have information/knowledge available in book form, not as easy as doing a Google or Wikipedia search and then cross-referencing for verification (which is about as far as most university students go today). And we're talking about actual serious academic/professional information, not normal everyday crap. Having a few hundred densely written books on hand for information retrieval takes time and energy, which implies discipline and a depth of knowledge in the subject being researched. The study is saying that doing an online search is superficial and easy; it doesn't require you to attain the kind of depth and breadth of knowledge, memory retention, or personal investment/interest, in the information for which you are searching.

Last edited by a moderator:

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
Kids today all lack a-disciprine...

System Name THE MAD BEAST!!!
Processor Tinfoil rapper with some coathangers
Motherboard Graham cracker with with frosting
Cooling A shovel full of snow
Memory Grey matter out of a corpse
Video Card(s) Cat eyes
Storage A whales brain
Display(s) Cyclops eyeball
Case Inside a yetis hollowed out corpse
Audio Device(s) howling banchee
Power Supply 32 hamster on a massive wheel
Software WHo needs software when you have a box of kittens
Benchmark Scores IS gatrillions a number?
i think im gonna start reading more books now.

That's a little depressing.
But not surprising. Students are learning that it's not necessary to commit something to long term memory; they can just do the search again when they need the information. Not everyone is like that though... just most people ;)
Then again, the vast majority of kids who go to University shouldn't be there anyway, and should be applying themselves more productively at Community Colleges, Technical schools, and the Trades.
So, I take it with a grain of salt. To me it just means that a lot of people were tested that thirty or forty years ago, would not even have been available to test, by a University psychology department.

It's like the illusion of average IQ scores rising; we're not really getting smarter, its just that the dumb people are not as dumb as they were in the past.
We're not really losing memory skills to any large extent, it's just that a lot of lazy people who would not have been able to get into university because they did not have the research skills and discipline necessary, are relying on their smartphones and computers to find them the information they need. And it's these people, for the most part, that are being studied.

The dull, lazy people are not as dull as they used to be.
*BAM!*

bad or good?

You don't need the internet to be misinformed.

:laugh: absolutely correct

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-14900K Direct Die
Motherboard MSI Z790 ACE MAX
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, IceMan DD block
Memory G.SKILL F5-7200J3646F24GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 990 PRO 1TB M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
Copied and pasted from http://oaks.nvg.org/sa5ra17.html

ONE OF Einstein's colleagues asked him for his telephone number one day. Einstein reached for a telephone directory and looked it up. "You don't remember your own number?" the man asked, startled.

"No," Einstein answered. "Why should I memorize something I can so easily get from a book?"

In fact, Einstein claimed never to memorize anything which could be looked up in less than two minutes.