• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GK104 Dynamic Clock Adjustment Detailed

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
Everything so far except that in a heavily NV game it is only 10% faster and has the same power plus, a smaller die, as large of a cooler, and a new "feature" that has yet to be proven beneficial, is logs in the toilet.
If it were so much cooler they would have used a single slot cooler.
If it was so much faster they would be shouting it from the roof.
If it were available........but its not.

So here we are. Speculation about a feature that mah help fix a problem no one had or cared about, or just some media spin from marketing to generate some green fog in our brains.

Where did you hear that performance rating? I saw someone say it was 5-10% faster than the HD7970, which is definitely not a "heavily NV game".

Every time people bring up Nvidia cards they feel obligated to describe them as monsterous, hot, power-plant fueled alternatives to AMD's offerings. Clearly people care about Power Consumption, and heat is always an issue, so I have no idea what you're getting at there.

As for the possibility of a Single-Slot Cooler, who knows, but I'm well adjusted to not needing one. Usually only one or two AMD cards are specially designed by manufacturers to support single slot coolers, and those run pretty damn hot. It's just not cost-efficient these days. I don't see people complaining when AMD does it.

You're also forgetting the kicker, this was intended to be Nvidia's mid-range chip. They may not price it accordingly, but that was the original intent.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Where did you hear that performance rating? I saw someone say it was 5-10% faster than the HD7970, which is definitely not a "heavily NV game".

Every time people bring up Nvidia cards they feel obligated to describe them as monsterous, hot, power-plant fueled alternatives to AMD's offerings. Clearly people care about Power Consumption, and heat is always an issue, so I have no idea what you're getting at there.

As for the possibility of a Single-Slot Cooler, who knows, but I'm well adjusted to not needing one. Usually only one or two AMD cards are specially designed by manufacturers to support single slot coolers, and those run pretty damn hot. It's just not cost-efficient these days. I don't see people complaining when AMD does it.

You're also forgetting the kicker, this was intended to be Nvidia's mid-range chip. They may not price it accordingly, but that was the original intent.

Im not sure where anyone heard Nvidia say this was supposed to be their midrange chip.

But based off the release model number it is their high end.
Based off the cuda core count, die size and process there will not be anymore cores to utilize,thus meaning only a two core version for more performance.
It only beat a 7970 by 10% in BF3, a TWIMTBP game AFAIK.
They have complained of clockspeed/yeild issues.
Its still not here, but I hear if you travel to a press event half way around the world they will give you chocolate. The chocolate must mean at least 50% faster...........we swear it.

Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 10
GK104 is the successor to their last mid-range cards, so the card was clearly intended to be mid-range. It's not Nvidias fault if they made a product that is faster than AMD's enthusiast offerings. As for BF3, I found nowhere on either their Wikipedia page nor W1z's review page that listed it as a TWIMTBP game. But let's compare BF3 results to the overall summery:

vs.

I see nothing that indicates BF3 having an edge on Nvidia cards. That's just one rumor. Various people have claimed the Kepler offerings would beat AMD cards in performance, and Nvidia has clearly made it their intent to always have the most powerful single card (non-dual GPU) card on the market, so I doubt they would buck trends now.

Like I said, the only questions in my mind are Price and Power Consumption, and arguing about anything else seems trivial.

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
It's not Nvidias fault if they made a product that is faster than AMD's enthusiast offerings

I think this isn't accurate, we should see reviews before saying this.

Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 10
I think this isn't accurate, we should see reviews before saying this.

Assuming the rumors of it besting the HD7970, and that it was intended to be their Mid-Range offering--given the model number, it wouldn't be too inaccurate.

System Name Multipurpose desktop
Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1605T @ 3.75Ghz , NB @ 2.5
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (rev 1.0)
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C, 2x120mm CM Blademaster
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP (4x4GB) @1666Mhz 9-9-9-20-24 1T
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix R7-370 4GB OC
Storage 2x WD Caviar Black 500GB Sata III in RAID 0
Display(s) Acer S211HL 21.5" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Centurion 534+, 3x 120mm CM Sickle Flow
Power Supply Seasonic X650 Gold
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium SP1
Assuming the rumors of it besting the HD7970, and that it was intended to be their Mid-Range offering--given the model number, it wouldn't be too inaccurate.

GK110 may, if it exists in a lab somewhere, may end up morphing into the GTX 780.
At this point, we do not have enough information to say anything that isn't a guess; an assumption based on other assumptions based on other possibly true statements is still just a guess.

But I think it's fun to guess. If no one guessed or assumed, some posters would have thousands fewer posts...

A chip is a piece of silicon... What they call in their line-up, really holds no water when, as of now (or sometime) aren’t fielding what formally designated as the Uber, High-end, enthusiast offering this is their superlative offering the "top dog" in the line up and the best they can counter with especailly.

If Nvidia prices them similarity against the competitor's "enthusiast" offering that's what "they are" no matter the die size. Now if the price it against the competitors mid-range products and performs consistently in the competitors enthusiast price point, it's called neither… it's would be just the winner!

Last edited: