• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Consumer preview up for grabs

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Actually, more like MS will make good changes every other OS, and people will bitch because they don't like change, then they will accept the changes and praise MS for making them in the next OS...

It isn't like Win7 really improved anything over Vista, people just bitched about Win7 less because they were already used to the changes from Vista.

I'm not bitching, I never tried 8. I feel like I just installed 7 and it works fine.. why push another os out already, if you want it to be tablet friendly then make a tablet os.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I'm not bitching, I never tried 8. I feel like I just installed 7 and it works fine.. why push another os out already, if you want it to be tablet friendly then make a tablet os.

Win7 will already be 4 years old when Win8 is released, it is ancient by the industry standard, and the industry doesn't want another XP that sits stagnant for 10 years. Ideally, I'd like a new OS every 2 years. No one says you have to upgrade. Hell, it was really only 6 years between the release of XP and the release of Vista, and that already felt way to long.

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-9900K Direct Die
Motherboard eVGA Z390 Dark
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.Skill F4-4500C19D-16GTZKKE or G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZ or G.Skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZSW
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
<SNIP>They were disappointed with how many people used the Developer Preview but never used Metro.
<SNIP>

That pretty much tells the tale...

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Win7 will already be 4 years old when Win8 is released, it is ancient by the industry standard, and the industry doesn't want another XP that sits stagnant for 10 years. Ideally, I'd like a new OS every 2 years. No one says you have to upgrade. Hell, it was really only 6 years between the release of XP and the release of Vista, and that already felt way to long.

I feel like your in the minority here. I think majority of people are perfectly content wit riding out a few more years with 7.

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
I feel like your in the minority here. I think majority of people are perfectly content wit riding out a few more years with 7.

That wouldn't be the case if 8 had the Start Menu. Everyone would jerkin' off over it... well, something like that anyway.

The more I use Windows 8 the more Metro grinds my f'ing gears, but the improvements it brings in other areas (e.g. Task Manager, Windows Defender & Security Essentials being one and the same; to name only two) are very much welcome.

I look forward to the release candidates to see how they improve upon it.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

If you talk to industry leaders, none of them will say "Yeah, we want another OS that sits stagnant like XP did." They all pretty much agree that the 6 year period between XP and Vista was too long, 4 years is a good release cycle.

That wouldn't be the case if 8 had the Start Menu. Everyone would jerkin' off over it... well, something like that anyway.

The more I use Windows 8 the more Metro grinds my f'ing gears, but the improvements it brings in other areas (e.g. Task Manager, Windows Defender & Security Essentials being one and the same; to name only two) are very much welcome.

I look forward to the release candidates to see how they improve upon it.

I've started using Start8 with the consumer preview, works great. Metro really is designed for a touch interface.

Processor i7 3930K 3.2 stock @ ~4.0
Motherboard Asus P9x79 DELUXE
Cooling Phanteks CPU cooler
Memory 6 x 4 Gb Kingston HyperX RAM triple channel 24GB total
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 G1 4GB x2 SLI
Storage 1 ADATA 512Gb (primary OS) 2 X 64GB Agility 2 SSD in RAID0
Display(s) Benq XL2420T, 24" LED Gaming Monitor
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) Onboard 5.1
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Power 1000W
Software Win 8.1 Enterprise x64
Benchmark Scores They're good!!!
If you ask residential consumers most of them will tell you that win 7 is running fine and they see no reason to upgrade to a new OS. Furthermore, most businesses will stick to win 7 due to its lower license fee compared to the new win 8.

That's what I've seen in the industry. Today's businesses won't pay the money to get a brand new OS on all their work stations. This is precisely why XP has lasted so long. Even here in a federal government building, a little less than half the work stations are still running XP.

naoan

System Name AMD?
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software 7 X64
Actually, more like MS will make good changes every other OS, and people will bitch because they don't like change, then they will accept the changes and praise MS for making them in the next OS...

It isn't like Win7 really improved anything over Vista, people just bitched about Win7 less because they were already used to the changes from Vista.

I think it's mostly because vista fail hard with the driver side of things at the time of its release, also, it does ask for higher system requirement (real life, not ms recommended) than 7.

And imho, snap is the best thing ms did after xp sp2.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
If you ask residential consumers most of them will tell you that win 7 is running fine and they see no reason to upgrade to a new OS. Furthermore, most businesses will stick to win 7 due to its lower license fee compared to the new win 8.

That's what I've seen in the industry. Today's businesses won't pay the money to get a brand new OS on all their work stations. This is precisely why XP has lasted so long. Even here in a federal government building, a little less than half the work stations are still running XP.

If you ask residential customers they'll tell you they want to stick with XP and most business will too. Heck, most old school business will tell you 98 runs fine. So I don't see your point.

However, anyone that actually works on the computers and has to keep the running smoothly will say that the longer an OS is out the more painful it gets to keep it running smoothly. I support a huge number of XP workstations, and they stuck to maintain.

Win7 isn't going anywhere, people need to realize that just because Win8 is released, that doesn't mean everyone has to upgrade to Win8. However, we need a place to move forward. We can't just sit on our hands like we did with XP because it is "good enough". Win7 is a great OS, and I won't recommend any client to upgrade to it on an already existent machine. However, when they buy new machines they certainly will have Win8 on them, and that will be a good thing. We should never be in a position again where we go through multiple generations of workstations with the same OS. Every time you replace your workstation, the OS gets update at the same time.

I think it's mostly because vista fail hard with the driver side of things at the time of its release, also, it does ask for higher system requirement (real life, not ms recommended) than 7.

And imho, snap is the best thing ms did after xp sp2.

The driver issues were really the hardware manufacturer's fault. It was up to the hardware makers to make sure their hardware had drivers that worked with Vista, not Microsoft's. It was just like Windows 2000. The hardware makers dropped the ball with driver support, but the OS was actually pretty damn good, but got a bad name at first because hardware didn't support it.

And I don't think Vista has higher system requirements, at least I've never seen that. It uses ever so slightly more RAM and CPU power, but when it comes down to it if a machine can run Win7 smoothly it can run Vista smoothly. There isn't a machine out there that will chug on Vista, but magically run nice and smooth with Win7. And I think with the updates that Microsoft has done to Vista, the difference in resource footprint between Vista and Win7 has become virtually non-existent.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

The app will install the ‘Start’ button if users remember to keep the ‘start menu option’ selected during installation. Classic Shell will provide a menu that looks like the classic Windows XP one and not like what have been seen with Vista or Windows 7. Our friends over at Ghacks have reported that the ‘Start’ menu feels very responsive even when used on comparably weaker systems. On top of the ‘Start’ menu, Classic Shell also adds several tweaking components in their bid for users to maintain a ‘classic’ feel for their Windows experienced if they do not want or like the Metro interface highlighted in the upcoming OS.

Hm I will give it a shot.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Ooh I like. Thank you, Drone!

johnspack

Here For Good!
System Name System2 Blacknet , System1 Blacknet2
Processor System2 Threadripper 1920x, System1 2699 v3
Motherboard System2 Asrock Fatality x399 Professional Gaming, System1 Asus X99-A
Cooling System2 Noctua NH-U14 TR4-SP3 Dual 140mm fans, System1 AIO
Memory System2 64GBS DDR4 3000, System1 32gbs DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) System2 GTX 980Ti System1 GTX 970
Storage System2 4x SSDs + NVme= 2.250TB 2xStorage Drives=8TB System1 3x SSDs=2TB
Display(s) 2x 24" 1080 displays
Case System2 Some Nzxt case with soundproofing...
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U7 MKII
Power Supply System2 EVGA 750 Watt, System1 XFX XTR 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Ducky
Software Manjaro, Windows 10, Kubuntu 23.10
Benchmark Scores It's linux baby!
Yep, it's perfect now. Been using classicshell on win7 for some time now, was hoping for a win8 version. Win8 is actually usable now!