• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Metro start menu - My interpretation

Relinquish

Processor i5 2500K @ 4.6 1.397
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
Cooling GELID Tranquillo with sickleflow 1800RPM
Memory 8GB G.Skill 1600Mhz CL9
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 6950 unlocked to 6970
Storage 120GB Intel 320 SSD
Power Supply OCZ Fatal1ty 550W Modular PSU
Software Windows 8
Hi,

I did this on another site and people seemed to like it. The reason I did it was because I feel Microsoft was missing a few things for the desktop market and I'd love to know what you guys feel. This was done on a win 8 developer preview version and it doesn't seem much has changed since then in the consumer preview sans the lack of a start button. Here is the thread:

http://www.eightforums.com/general-discussion/3819-windows-8-metro-start-menu-my-interpretation.html

and here is what I wrote:

Hi guys,

I've had one or two ideas for improving the metro start menu (I know that Microsoft will be improving things in the beta but I have had these ideas at the back of my mind and I wanted to know what people thought).

First off, I'm not going to make you imagine what I was thinking of because I've actually done some mockups but I warn you, I have no artistic or photoshop skills which you may notice (not something that no one with the skills couldn't fix).

What I feel is that going from 7 to 8, i have lost some functionality or I find it harder to do things i.e TURN OFF THE COMPUTER and also I feel things are a bit inconsistent (more on that in a bit) but I feel that the metro start menu has potential if microsoft optimises it for mouse and keyboard and doesn't make it feel like I'm running on a 640x480 res when I open the control panel when I've set my resolution to 1600x900.

So here is my first part of the mockup:

So lets take a look at what I've added. If you look at the top right I've added a much more accessable search functionality (i love windows 7 for its search that's embedded in the start menu and feel a bit lost without it in win 8.). I've also added a button that can allow the user to turn off the machine in one click (or restart through a popup dialog). With the search box I thought it would be a good idea to allow the user to type "run: " and then what ever else which would act like the normal run dialog.

The bottom left of the screen handily shows running apps/open windows and will allow the user to quickly close them in one place. Other than that you may notice a slight difference with the tiles. I was playing around with them and got a bit lost so I left them but Microsoft should make all pinned external exes have a large icon like the word tile that I created. It's much easier to distinguish apps this way when you compare it to the tiles to the right of the desktop tile.

Then there is the top left of the screen which has a windows phone like arrow. Pressing the button with the mouse/your finger or the left arrow key on the keyboard does this:

So it basically shows all the programs, just like the original windows 7/vista start menu would do. I wasn't sure however if it would be better to have the search box re-appear on top of the "All programs" text or if it would still be in view (from the previous picture) for better searching.

Some final ideas: I was thinking that it would be better if microsoft made the metro start menu transparent (40%-60%) so that you don't feel like your jumping into another world when you launch the start menu (That's kind of what I was talking about when I mentioned inconsistencies, i.e it being completely different to the dektop) Finally I was thinking that the desktop shortcut icons should be made bigger (occupy the same space but be as big as possible so as to look like a tile.) but I'm not sure about this idea.

Anyways, If you could tell me what you think that would be great.

Thanks.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I like it! I wouldn't mind seeing "My Computer", the user folder and the control panel right up top of the All Programs list. :toast:

Relinquish

Software Windows 8
I like it! I wouldn't mind seeing "My Computer", the user folder and the control panel right up top of the All Programs list. :toast:

It actually would be useful to have those items there. Thanks.

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
Hi,

I did this on another site and people seemed to like it. The reason I did it was because I feel Microsoft was missing a few things for the desktop market and I'd love to know what you guys feel. This was done on a win 8 developer preview version and it doesn't seem much has changed since then in the consumer preview sans the lack of a start button. Here is the thread:

http://www.eightforums.com/general-discussion/3819-windows-8-metro-start-menu-my-interpretation.html

I like your Idea`s,problem is Microsoft in 4 years will try to sell it as Windows9 .

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Hi,

Great idea:toast:
Now how do we get a multi-billion dollar company to pay attention to what we would like...

Relinquish

Software Windows 8
I like your Idea`s,problem is Microsoft in 4 years will try to sell it as Windows9 .

Well yeah, this might be a possibility but I can always see if people like the improvements I'm suggesting. The thing is, Windows 8 is not even released yet and still has a good way to go before being released. I'm sure at this stage Microsoft is testing the waters and if consumers don't like something or suggestions are made for improvements, then why shouldn't they listen?