• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

upped vcore to my xfx 6870 be - driver does not load

Hi all!
Insted playing around with third party tools like trixx I decided to raise at bios level a little more the vcore of my both 6870 cards - this, in order to let them being stable at 1000 mhz.
I discovered in these two past days that both cards do work like a charm at 1000 mhz with a vcore of 1.188
So I used RBE in order to make such a task.
I remembered something like a kind of protection Ati were using since a couple of years to this time in order to let the bios editing process being not so straightforward...some kind of keys/hashes...btw...I made myself confidend that RBE would not break this stuff.
Once I did edit my bios, saved it and flashed it to both my cards I got then BSOD.
Driver was stating something was wrong...I immediatly argued that it (the drvier) did recognize a bad bios.
I cleaned the driver installation with driver sweeper and tried to make a fresh driver installation but this did not help.
Maybe am I doing something wrong? Could it be that the latest drivers perform a more depth check in order to verify the genuinity of the bios?
Many thanks

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Could it be that the latest drivers perform a more depth check in order to verify the genuinity of the bios?

afaik this is only an issue with 68xx cards. the drivers checks just seem more intrusive then usual as nobody has had any issues like this on 69xx cards or 7xxx series.

there are no direct fixes for the problem so the only options are either to get a new GPU or get TriXX/Afterburner to load an OC profile at windows start up

afaik this is only an issue with 68xx cards. the drivers checks just seem more intrusive then usual as nobody has had any issues like this on 69xx cards or 7xxx series.

there are no direct fixes for the problem so the only options are either to get a new GPU or get TriXX/Afterburner to load an OC profile at windows start up

Thanks FreedomEclipse!
Today is a sunny day here to me and by now I do not want to spend other time on this stuff...btw I did notice that RBE has a voltage registers editor which infact needs to be updated with the right value I want to assign to the power (3d) profile.
I just modified the bios by updating also the voltage register with the 1.1875 value but I have no more forces left to powerup the machine, flash the cards and wait for what happens.
About using a third party tool...never and never...for mere 25 mhz I do prefer leave the system being a bit more free from this kind of pre-driver configurations and tweaks.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
My 6870s wouldn't run 1ghz at that voltage, I'm not sure why yours would. I find I'm usually hitting ~1.25v to hit 1ghz core. Have you tried using MSI Afterburner instead and giving it a little more juice?

Hi Aquinus, nope my both 6870 hit 975 mhz with default voltage (1.175) - in order to let them being working at 1000 mhz I only need 1.188 volts but I do not want to use any third party tweaking tools.
This evening I will try to flash both eeproms once more.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
This evening I will try to flash both eeproms once more.

Its not going to work.

If it didnt work the first time then it wont work the second time, its just how it is.

Why not use 3rd party programs? neither TriXX nor MSI afterburner take up a lot of resources.

W1zzard has also had quite a big hand in making TriXX for sapphire.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
and trixx is awsame on amd cards , it auto ocç s mine to 1ghz on startup, i hardly ever mess with it:)

I knew it :) I spent more than two hours making this possible.
At first I tried to find a bios for my both referenced designed 6870 cards that would allow them to get 1000 mhz...a good candidate could only be the one that could have vgpu raised to 1.188 volts from factory.
The ONLY one I found by searching and floating around the web was the msi 6870 twin frozer II oc version...this card infact is the ONLY one to have a 1.188 vgpu voltage and being made on reference design.
In this discussion I have found the image (the last one) that confirmed to me my supposition and my last hope :)
http://www.tomshw.it/forum/schede-video/186125-msi-twin-frozr-ii-vs-twin-frozr-iii-hawk-2.html
I went to flash both my cards immedialty and I discovered that they do work great with this bios; I then however discovered that only one card can operate at 1000 mhz, the other one makes the magic go no further than 990 mhz.
hey, I am pretty satisfayed - now I am planning to install a complete water cooling system.
FreedomEclipse, theoneandonlymrk I appreciate the effort and the good job that Wizzard made with the trixx tool, I however do not like to use third party tools - it is only a personal point of view.
http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/9169/newbiosvoltage2.png

tommy1735

hi

i have a XFX 6870 with dual fan ( http://www.alternate.de/html/product/XFX/HD6870_Dual_Fan/888426/? )

i have a real big problem:
there is no way to change the voltage, i tryed MSI afterburner (with .cfg "mod") TRIXX, EVGA Precision X, all versions of all tools, i can only change core and RAM, most i can get is 970 MHz with the standart voltage and then i only get about 60°C thats why i really want more voltage

today i tryed to change the voltage with RBE and got BSOD with ATIkmdag.sys and had to flash back the original BIOS

i did a support ticket at XFX but till now they gave me only a stupid answer... im really angry at XFX and i will never buy anything else from them

anyone has a idea what i can try

edit:
OMFG i tryed to flash the BIOS from a msi 6870 twin frozer II oc and the card was dead
damn im lucky could flash it in DOS with atiflash.exe back to original
maybe i should not try it again

thanks

Last edited: