• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Analyst's Blame Nintendo For Poor Video Game Sales

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
The Video Game Industry has been seeing some unexplained downward trends over the past couple months, and people are pointing their fingers every which way. The blame has fallen on any combination of Piracy, Developers, Publishers, DRM, and even Consumers themselves. But analysts say you have to look no further than one of the biggest names in the Industry; Nintendo.

ArsTechnica said:
"Everybody needs to realize that the Wii software segment is trending down 50 percent year over year, and has been for the last 12 months," Cowen and Company analyst Doug Creutz told Ars Technica. "That is a massive decline. There's no way you could not have a decline overall with that big of a decline in that portion of the software."

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...les-looking-so-weak-lately-blame-nintendo.ars

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
don't look at me, I've been buying some Wii games. :nutkick:

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
The wii has games? I thought all it had was bowling and tennis...

AKA wii games suck

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not donkey kong.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Luckily for nintendo they were making money from the hardware.

News?

Rather than just saying that "Wii games suck," answer me a question. What was the last Wii exclusive title that you saw advertised?

My answer is Zelda skyward sword, though I did see some online stuff for Xenoblade. Any console with that sad of a release support initiative is doomed to failure. It is likely that MS and Sony already understand this, but Nintendo printed money from day 1 so they don't to offer the same end of life support. The video games industry is once again crying foul, despite the fact that they put themselves into the position that they are in. This is getting to be more frustrating than comical....

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10

AKA wii games suck

but but but what about xenoblade and uh . . . . . . uh . . . . . . . . .:shadedshu

the wii's publicity sucks and many people don't know of decent games for it(especially if your older), when you think rpgs you think hey theres xenoblade but there are other good rpgs also like Last Story, etc . . . . . then theres the fact that most of the games are targeted towards kids on the wii, some developers just can't sell there title on the wii.

sykozis

The developers are more responsible for the downward trend than Nintendo is. If they put half as much effort into developing an immersive and entertaining gaming experience as they do looking for someone to blame or trying to screw over PC gamers, they'd have more sales.

Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 10
Luckily for nintendo they were making money from the hardware.

Their hardware sales have dropped substantially year after year. As of the last couple months, almost twice as many PS3's are being sold each month, and 1.5x as many 360's. The Wii made a killing on Hardware at first since it used barely improved Gamecube parts that were rather cheap to manufacture, but over the years Sony and Microsoft have gone from selling at a loss to making decent profit off each unit. The major difference is Sony and MS are making a fortune off Software at this point, and Software sales for the Wii are dropping like a lead balloon.

The developers are more responsible for the downward trend than Nintendo is. If they put half as much effort into developing an immersive and entertaining gaming experience as they do looking for someone to blame or trying to screw over PC gamers, they'd have more sales.

The issue is publishers won't fund Wii ports because the Wii just doesn't have the capacity to sell software like the PS3 and 360. Remember when Infinity Ward released a Wii CoD game a few years back? It sold terribly. The Wii's design just doesn't allow for good games outside of what Nintendo can do. They are in the same situation Sega was in leading up to the Dreamcast, their systems aren't doing amazing, but are original, and their 1st Party titles are incredible. I almost wish Nintendo would go to just doing Software, then we could see some PS4\Xbox720 Zelda titles :p

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
The reason why sales are going down is because there's no new, good games coming out. Skyward Sword was the most recent and that came out 6 months ago. Everyone pretty much got used the idea of either buying older games for much less (those that recently got the console) or waiting for the Wii U.

Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 10
The reason why sales are going down is because there's no new, good games coming out. Skyward Sword was the most recent and that came out 6 months ago. Everyone pretty much got used the idea of either buying older games for much less (those that recently got the console) or waiting for the Wii U.

Skyward Sword sold 1.61m units in NA since release in November 2011. Just Dance 3 has sold 4.99m units in NA since release in the end of October 2011. Even the best games on the Wii don't sell as well as the Shovelware Sequels that it has, and that is part of the problem. Even when great games, are made for the Wii, their consumer base just doesn't take to them. Call of Duty: WAW which was released across all 3 systems, sold 1.2m on the Wii, 2.5m on the PS3, and 4.35m on the 360. The Wii consumer base aren't gamers, so there's no reason for companies to spend tons of money developing quality gaming experiences when they know it won't sell.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
I almost wish Nintendo would go to just doing Software, then we could see some PS4\Xbox720 Zelda titles :p

No you don't. Because then they'd turn into SEGA. SEGA was at it's peak with the Dreamcast. The pressure to make fantastic games to keep the console alive, really made them churn out some great stuff. Post Dreamcast hasn't been stable. I've seen quality drop a lot.

Sure they've had hits like Valkyria Chronicles and others but some of their big franchises have suffered. Sonic went from it's peak in Adventure to mess after mess till they finally had to reset the franchise. Just got over milked. Even with the reset they messed it up. Generations is more or less a rehash clip show of when they actually got it right. Improved and updated. Now they are promoting old DC games in HD forms to get their old audience to jump again.

When you look at the number of studios SEGA had back for the Dreamcast, compared to now, they just don't have the talent. They shut quite a few down. Really, it is a shame SEGA wasn't bought by Nintendo or Sony then made to be an exclusive 1st party. Think they would have done a bit better in quality. The company would be more focused.

If Nintendo went software, you'd see similar happen. Lot of cross platforming which would appear good at first but would show a clear lack of quality in time. This would force studio closures to try and unite under the more solid brands. Less new ideas would be allowed and a greater emphasis on recycling money maker ideas would come out.

Processor Core i5 4690K @ 3.5 GHz \\ C2Q Q6600 @ 3.4 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 SLI \\ Asus P5K Deluxe
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer \\ Xigmatek Dark Knight
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x 4GB \\ Corsair XMS2 2x 2 GB
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1 Gaming v1.1 (Hynix) \\ Sapphire HD 6850
Storage Kingston SV200, 3 TB Seagate 7200.14 \\ 2x 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) LG 24MP56HQ
Case Corsair Carbide 200R Windowed \\ CM 690
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 \\ Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply Adata HM850 \\ Corsair HX520
Mouse Logitech G602, SteelSeries Sensei Raw Frostblue, Corsair M65
Keyboard Logitech Media Keyboard Elite
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 \\ Windows 7 Ultimate x64

AKA wii games suck
"Games" can have a broad meaning, so even shovelwares could be categorized as games. BUT Nintendo and others have released some good and some great games in 2011-2012, e.g.: XenoBlade, The Last Story, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Pandora's Tower, Rayman Origins, Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, Driver: San Francisco, Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, de Blob 2, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, the LEGO games etc.. And seriously, if the companies kept releasing quality games like they do for the PS2 on the Wii platform, I guess, nothing bad would have happened to the Wii in these past last years.

News?

Rather than just saying that "Wii games suck," answer me a question. What was the last Wii exclusive title that you saw advertised?

My answer is Zelda skyward sword, though I did see some online stuff for Xenoblade. Any console with that sad of a release support initiative is doomed to failure. It is likely that MS and Sony already understand this, but Nintendo printed money from day 1 so they don't to offer the same end of life support. The video games industry is once again crying foul, despite the fact that they put themselves into the position that they are in. This is getting to be more frustrating than comical....
The third party can be so hypocritical, they are the ones who are neglecting the Wii in the first place, either by not making the games for the Wii or outsourcing the games development to third-rated software houses which make things worse, really.

Their hardware sales have dropped substantially year after year. As of the last couple months, almost twice as many PS3's are being sold each month, and 1.5x as many 360's. The Wii made a killing on Hardware at first since it used barely improved Gamecube parts that were rather cheap to manufacture, but over the years Sony and Microsoft have gone from selling at a loss to making decent profit off each unit. The major difference is Sony and MS are making a fortune off Software at this point, and Software sales for the Wii are dropping like a lead balloon.

The issue is publishers won't fund Wii ports because the Wii just doesn't have the capacity to sell software like the PS3 and 360. Remember when Infinity Ward released a Wii CoD game a few years back? It sold terribly. The Wii's design just doesn't allow for good games outside of what Nintendo can do. They are in the same situation Sega was in leading up to the Dreamcast, their systems aren't doing amazing, but are original, and their 1st Party titles are incredible. I almost wish Nintendo would go to just doing Software, then we could see some PS4\Xbox720 Zelda titles :p
The Wii doesn't have the capacity to sell games, because giant games companies were neglecting the Wii in the first place and were laughing at the Wii's outdated specs, while kept releasing shovel-wares after shovel-wares. Things were becoming better when they finally decided to make dedicated games for the Wii, but then decided to outsource the projects to some no-name third rated software houses, either with really tight deadline or minimal budget. I mean, even the Gamecube hasn't gotten this many shovelwares as the Wii in this generation; the Wii is literally thrown to death by these gigantic amounts of shovel-wares.

Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 10
BUT Nintendo and others have released some good and some great games in 2011-2012, e.g.: XenoBlade, The Last Story, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Pandora's Tower, Rayman Origins, Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, Driver: San Francisco, Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, de Blob 2, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, the LEGO games etc.. And seriously, if the companies kept releasing quality games like they do for the PS2 on the Wii platform, I guess, nothing bad would have happened to the Wii in these past last years.

:banghead:

You listed several multiplatform games, games that aren't vailable yet in NA, and games that--no offense--are just bad. Take Modern Warfare 3 for example, it's MetaCritic and GameRankings scores are about 88-89 for the PS3/360, but 69-70 for the Wii. The fact is the Wii is just underwhelming compared to the other current gen consoles, and is considered a poor investment for publishers looking to fund developers.

The Wii doesn't have the capacity to sell games, because giant games companies were neglecting the Wii in the first place and were laughing at the Wii's outdated specs, while kept releasing shovel-wares after shovel-wares. Things were becoming better when they finally decided to make dedicated games for the Wii, but then decided to outsource the projects to some no-name third rated software houses, either with really tight deadline or minimal budget. I mean, even the Gamecube hasn't gotten this many shovelwares as the Wii in this generation; the Wii is literally thrown to death by these gigantic amounts of shovel-wares.

As I've said, it's because why would they spend millions of dollars to invest in a version of their game specifically for a console who's userbase DOESN'T BUY GAMES?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
So sad i guess they have to blame some one so they have a reason to get payed... Whats next XBox 360 to blame because MS charge users to go online with their system.

What i see with Wii games is that their way to easy for a 8 year old lol.

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
Nintendo is to blame because sales of the Wii and its games effectively kept the entire industry bouyant for several years. Nobody cares about the Wii anymore, so sales have dropped like a stone, which affects the industry as a whole.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
Nintendo is to blame because sales of the Wii and its games effectively kept the entire industry bouyant for several years. Nobody cares about the Wii anymore, so sales have dropped like a stone, which affects the industry as a whole.

very well said

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Balony, the industry has only itself to blame. Every sales of every device will decline over time.
Nintendo has no obligation to be the cornerstone of gaming sales so everyone else in the market can feel all rainbows and unicorns.
Why wasn't anyone else there to entice the Wii users to something new that filled the void when they got bored of their Wiis?