• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WiiU might be renamed to Wii Entertainment System ?

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
The DS being small is why it works. Your eyes are always focused on a smaller object, and the second screen is literally right next to the primary screen, you don't have to move your head at all, only your eyes. And on the DS you're not playing too many fast-paced action games where HUD information is vital, nothing like BF3 at least. Unless you plan on holding your controller highin the air with your arms extended straight out in front of you, it's not even remotely the same.

Notice something about that picture you posted, that's a hard-wired Controller, which means it is infinitely better than the experience you are going to get from the finished product. Even then, the only thing on there is a Map, just as I said. Then there's still the issue where you can only have one of those controllers hooked up at a time, meaning no game with local multiplayer will put any real emphasis on the tablet portion since they need to allow players to make due without it.

Bottom line, it's just another gimmick.

it's Nintendo.. have faith and the cable is to prevent theft.

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
Have Nintendo just thrown ergonomics out the window?

System Name The Beast
Processor Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE
Cooling Stock
Memory 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 1GB Sapphire Radeon HD4650 Ultimate Edition
Storage 60GB Corsair Force LE, 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F1, 500GB Seagate
Display(s) 22" Samsung T220HD & 19" Acer X193W
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I bet that controller is fun to use while sitting up on the couch playing games for hours straight :laugh:

I honestly don't get all this motion crap. The Wii, Kinect and Move are unappealing as hell. Maybe because I just want to kick back on the couch with an energy drink and share size pack of Doritos while I play some shit. I cycle 175km a week, they shouldn't push this get up and move crap on consoles. We use them to play games, we all know we should go outside and move.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
it's Nintendo.. have faith and the cable is to prevent theft.

Faith is something I never got behind. I am going off facts and reports, all of which point towards this system being a cheaply made disappointment.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
we wouldn't even have video games today if it wasn't for Nintendo.

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
There have been rumors, but most of them are disappointing.

85% of the rumors have been positive and have ended up accurate with the detective work more or less.
5% of the rumors were fake (by the hater fanboys, and the one we're in this thread speaking about)
5% of the rumors were stupid developers with early kits - or old impression getting out late
5% of the rumors were pure bullcrap (no sources, april fools)

The media mostly reported balanced of rumors, half bad half good - fuckers. That's because it makes the most drama and pageviews = ads revenue = profit.

There have been rumors, but most of them are disappointing. Basically Nintendo is shooting for a Fall (Q3/4 2012) release, and did everything imaginable to keep the price around $300. You can only use 1 tablet controller at a time, and rumors have said they are very prone to disconnect, stop working, and have massive amounts of delay (according to various Developers). The Wii U is basically going to wirelessly stream the information to these controllers, which results in massive amounts of data flowing too and from the device at any given time, and since the Tablets have no integrated Processor, the Wii U itself has to process everything on the controller as well as the game itself.

The system selling for $300 may sound tempting, but Nintendo really had to skimp on quality to get there, and were forced to cut cost as much as possible to please investors according to rumors. Microsoft did that with the Xbox 360's cooling setup, and we know how that worked out. I imagine massive amounts of Hardware Problems with the initial batch of Wii U's due to shoddy manufacturing.

Most of these assumptions are poor speculation.

Nintendo has always produced quality, high-yield, low-fail products regardless of their raw power difference from the competition. Wii's failure rate it

No offence but it's rather ridicolous to say that WiiU would have the similar RROD problems just because it's as powerful or more (which will be) than X360. The fact that why was there RRODs and Disc Scratching is because Microsoft's "engineers" totally missed the point of making the system, they lowered the cost of wrong materials by using inappropriate disk spinner locker or what the heck it was. But the RROD came from the last minute change that they though would be okay so didn't tested it or not enough.

The 300$ price was long speculated before that rumor came out. 300price is a very valid assumption. Why, that's because the console is better in much ways than Wii was which was sold for 250$ at launch, the hardware buff would make the console cost 350$, that's expected. But nintendo said in winter last year, they don't want to make the same mistake with WiiU as with 3DS (overpriced). 3DS exploded after the huge price drop. They don't want make WiiU to be too costly to adopt while they have no competition and games will aslo be ready for WiiU - expect much better line up than 3DS had in first 6 months. That makes 50 off and we expect 300$ to be the price - that completely doesn't indicate or mean anything about the quality or the specs of the console, purely wrong thinking there, this is just price balancing and they will get that loss compensated by software sales as they did confirmed they are willing to launch the console with a loss.

Everything else you said is old news.

-WiiU will be able of screen 2 controllers - not sure if the total amount is locked at 5 with WiiMotes.

-The "various" developers are anonymous, and 1 year old news talking about the early kits which we all knew had no wireless working, and had overheating GPU (underclocked).

-The tablets work like a terminal - there is no reason to put "processor" inside them. The only processor they will have is the IO/LCD/Sensor/Wireless controller chips which are nothing surprising, with probably a central ARM processor that will work with all the sub controllers to make it all smooth since the data flow will be substantial. Your statement seems to present this as an negativity - while this is actually a huge postive thing, this is not been designed to be a portable device (quote from iwata at E3) - if the controller would rely on it self it would cost extremely more (50-60$, cost of controller will drop significantly in future as technologies such as NFC are projected to be 400% cheaper in future due to mass production in mobile space) and it would eat the batteries really fast - not only that, it would have been totally impractical, and technically useless to try to help the main screen, not only that, but having crap portable-grade graphics as well. That argument just defies the whole idea like trying challenge the laws of physics.

The investor thing is just a funny way to say - that rumor was probably written by a journalist-type or even an investor - the wording of the rumor is so ridicolously obvious it's a assumtion-laden by a few info points that are the actual importance, other is just the cake decoration to make it more appealing to who's reading it, you have full explanation of that rumor here (and yes, I wrote that)

Oh please, that tablet will be a map or inventory in 99% of the launch titles. I am with him, it seems like a silly idea. Their logic is it frees up screen space "wasted" by the HUD, Map, and other elements, but any game that has those is largely action-based, and in a game where split second decisions matter, having to look down at your controller, away from the action, seems like a terrible "solution".

Nothing has been announced, Nothing Has been confirmed, pure none-sense. The first party games would definitely be designed well that you won't have BOTH SCREENS with action going on while you need to focus on the main screen or vice versa.

If many games follow the same control style:
- it's probably 3rd party developers being lazy and following suits
- probably publishers following suits cause that's all they know
- untalented designers ( definitely not nintendo)

If that happens it's the toxin of the 3rd Parties so it's pretty criminal to blame Nintendo or the Console or the Controller for it:mad:

No offense but this quoted post above seems more on the troll side or poorly based speculation to me - think before you say such things.

E3 will surprise many of people - especially these kinds of opinions - It definitely won't surprise me that much as we can see what we can expect, but the surprises surely will be there, in a good way of course, , we won't know everything before E3 that's for sure, most of the surprises would be in the new IPs that'll be shown but im always open to a surprise, i hope it's F-Zero or Starfox, i'll be impressed if it's a new IP from Retro too, but it'll feel much better about the hardware fact that will finally be reported properly by the media, since nintendo will blow those haters away.:rockout:

Last edited:

yecliz

Wii Entertainment System. Blehh, i dont like it. Wii is much better than WiiES or whatever its called.

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
Wii Entertainment System. Blehh, i dont like it. Wii is much better than WiiES or whatever its called.

It's fake rumor.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
<Bad Rumors = Clearly Fake>

It's easy to assume the best when you only trust the beneficial rumors. Ask AMD die-hards what they thought of Bulldozer pre-release. All those benchmarks that showed it doing poorly just HAD to be fake.

Most of these assumptions are poor speculation.

I believe you mean pure speculation, and aside from the basics everything is pure speculation. If you want to get down to facts we don't know what the GPU is at all, it's speculated to be a 48xx-based solution, but could be anything.

Nintendo has always produced quality, high-yield, low-fail products regardless of their raw power difference from the competition. Wii's failure rate it

Wii's failure rate is low because almost nobody actually plays them, and they have no powerful parts. The yield was higher because it was almost the same CPU they used in the GameCube, just clocked a bit higher (400 something MHz -> ~750MHz). You're comparing a system that's running basically a Pentium III @ 750MHz to something running a Tri-Core CPU @ 3.2GHz x 3 and a 8-Core CPU @ 3.2GHz. Kind of a big difference in the complexity of the parts involved.

No offence but it's rather ridicolous to say that WiiU would have the similar RROD problems just because it's as powerful or more (which will be) than X360. The fact that why was there RRODs and Disc Scratching is because Microsoft's "engineers" totally missed the point of making the system, they lowered the cost of wrong materials by using inappropriate disk spinner locker or what the heck it was. But the RROD came from the last minute change that they though would be okay so didn't tested it or not enough.

The original RROD problems came from Microsoft using more "cost-effective" thermal solutions on their CPU's. The disc-scratching only happens when you jiggle your 360 when it's upright and spinning a disc, how many people actually do that? The overlying problem is cutting costs, and if Nintendo is doing that, expect an increase in hardware failure rates.

The 300$ price was long speculated before that rumor came out. 300price is a very valid assumption. Why, that's because the console is better in much ways than Wii was which was sold for 250$ at launch, the hardware buff would make the console cost 350$, that's expected. But nintendo said in winter last year, they don't want to make the same mistake with WiiU as with 3DS (overpriced). 3DS exploded after the huge price drop. They don't want make WiiU to be too costly to adopt while they have no competition and games will aslo be ready for WiiU - expect much better line up than 3DS had in first 6 months. That makes 50 off and we expect 300$ to be the price - that completely doesn't indicate or mean anything about the quality or the specs of the console, purely wrong thinking there, this is just price balancing and they will get that loss compensated by software sales as they did confirmed they are willing to launch the console with a loss.

This statement literally makes no sense. Nintendo sold the Wii at a massive profit because they were using old crappy hardware, mostly left over from the GameCube. They could have launched the Wii at $200 or even less. As I said earlier though, you are going from an old "tried and true" PowerPC design from the GameCube era at a low clock rate, to a relatively new Quad-Core PowerPC clocked at five times the clock rate. That CPU is going to be exponentially more expensive than the Wii's.

Then there's going from an ancient GPU to a more modern one, which will also be an exponential increase in cost. If the Wii cost like $50 to manufacture, I expect the WiiU to cost upwards of $250. You're looking at way more expensive hardware all around, and that isn't free. You have to also realize that the people driving the company are largely investors, the people tat made a fortune because the Wii sold 95m units at a high profit. You think Nintendo is going to be able to convince them that they need to sell at a loss or a razor-thin profit margin for the system to succeed? I doubt it.

-WiiU will be able of screen 2 controllers - not sure if the total amount is locked at 5 with WiiMotes.

-The "various" developers are anonymous, and 1 year old news talking about the early kits which we all knew had no wireless working, and had overheating GPU (underclocked).

-The tablets work like a terminal - there is no reason to put "processor" inside them. The only processor they will have is the IO/LCD/Sensor/Wireless controller chips which are nothing surprising, with probably a central ARM processor that will work with all the sub controllers to make it all smooth since the data flow will be substantial. Your statement seems to present this as an negativity - while this is actually a huge postive thing, this is not been designed to be a portable device (quote from iwata at E3) - if the controller would rely on it self it would cost extremely more (50-60$, cost of controller will drop significantly in future as technologies such as NFC are projected to be 400% cheaper in future due to mass production in mobile space) and it would eat the batteries really fast - not only that, it would have been totally impractical, and technically useless to try to help the main screen, not only that, but having crap portable-grade graphics as well. That argument just defies the whole idea like trying challenge the laws of physics.

Firstly, Sources? As recent as a few months ago the head of Nintendo confirmed you would only be able to use one tablet controller at a time. Here's a link from a Nintendo-Europe Fan Site, which is listed as a source on Wikipedia as well, that has Iwata saying it is technically possible for multiple controllers to work, but they were only focusing on getting one to work. I could spin this and say they are implying further down the road with new revisions of the system and better hardware they will have it working, but not right now.

Secondly, you detailed exactly what I have said, the Controller doesn't render or process any information, it basically is streamed stuff being processed on the Wii U, that means the Wii U is simultaneously processing multiple instances of the game, one for the TV, and one (or two if you have a valid source) to be streamed to the controller since it does none of its rendering or processing on the controller.

Third, you were right about one thing, the technology is impractical. It's Nintendo trying to do something new and ambitious, which I admire, but it's ultimately going to fail. Most of Nintendo's "new" ideas are just more technically sound variations of their old attempts. The WiiU is basically like a GameCube with the GBA controller attachments.

you have full explanation of that rumor here (and yes, I wrote that)

Are you seriously quoting a forum post, made by you, on a WiiU fansite, as a valid article\source? ...

No offense but this quoted post above seems more on the troll side or poorly based speculation to me - think before you say such things.

I've discovered that Nintendo loyalists are basically the Console equivalent of Mac loyalists. I don't think I'd be able to convince you the Wii U won't be a magical device that gives out BJ's and plays 1920x1080 games at 1,000,000 fps. I'm just posting opinions, and logical conclusions, kind of like what you're doing, but I'm not trying to convince people they are facts.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
I wish nintendo called the new one something else besides wii because wii is you know . . . . . . wii, I have one in my pants already.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I wish nintendo called the new one something else besides wii because wii is you know . . . . . . wii, I have one in my pants already.

LMAO! Right, and everyone already knows the excuse as to why its called that.

Honestly Nintendo could just revamp the hardware and use the highest end components with the gimmicky control schemes and have strong 3rd party support since 1st party cant carry you through everything and have ease of use functions.

They Should just call it the Nintendo Entertainment System ver 2.0