• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strange RAID issues.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Hi everyone,

Lately I started having issues with my RAID, it has started ever since I moved my RAID to my LGA2011 rig. It is kicking drives out, at first it kicked my WD green out of the RAID, so I removed it, bought a WD black to replace it and popped in and boom, quick and simple rebuild. A couple days later one of my Hitachi drives gets kicked out of the RAID. So I'm skeptical, I rebuild and it works fine for the next couple days. So I took the WD green drive I took out to work and plugged it into one of our servers with an eSATA dock and I run SMART on it. 26000 hours of time active and not a single error or any smart attribute out of whack. So I bring it back home and when the hitachi "failed" again, I took it out and switched drives (I tried changing ports in-between as well, but it didn't seem to make a difference.) So I bring the Hitachi drive to work and check the SMART logs on that drive, 3 relocated sectors was the worst I could see, and 23000 hours of run time.

With all of this said now, Intel Rapid Storage enterprise will say "SATA array disk removed." then it says, "Unknown disk on Controller 0, Port Unknown Detected.", Then "SATA Disk on Controller 0, Port 3 Detected." the right back to "SATA array disk removed." (It repeats this over and over and over again until you restart.)

If I try to re-add the disk to the RAID right now, it will error out. If I restart and use either the RAID BIOS or the Utility in Windows it will re-add it fine and start rebuilding.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? This never happened to me on the nVidia RAID, and I'm wondering if anyone else has something to add. I might also add that I have two Corsair Force GT 120Gbs in RAID-0 on the SATA6 ports and I haven't had a single issue with that, so I'm not inclined to believe that it is the driver (it could, I mean there is data parity being calculated data gets checksumed.) I also replaced all of the SATA cables as well.

Right now the drives in RAID are (in this order from port 3 to port 5) are:
Hitachi 1
WD Black
WD Green

with Hitachi 2 on my desk in a static proof bag. WD Green and Hitachi 2 both exhibit the same behavior, but the other two drives appear fine, even though Hitachi one is from the same batch as 2 and should have the same exact active time. The drives are getting old but that isn't reason enough for me to get rid of them and buy another new 1Tb drive.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I say try new cables, particularly try to use cables that don't have the locks on the connectors. I've had issues before with boards that use the 90° SATA connectors and those locking style cables, where the SATA ports on the board didn't have the little notches cut out for the lock, and they would wiggle loose. From what I can see on the P9X79, the SATA 3Gbps ports don't have the notches for the locks, so my guess would be the cables are wiggling loose.

Also, in the end I'd try avoiding using the WD Green drive is possible, even the Black might give you issues. Since WD killed the TLER option on their drives they have had issues when used in RAID, the controller can in-accurately mark the drive as bad. It doesn't happy often, but it can happen. I doubt this is the issue you are having here, due to the Hitachi drive having issues too, but it is just something to be aware of.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
I say try new cables, particularly try to use cables that don't have the locks on the connectors. I've had issues before with boards that use the 90° SATA connectors and those locking style cables, where the SATA ports on the board didn't have the little notches cut out for the lock, and they would wiggle loose. From what I can see on the P9X79, the SATA 3Gbps ports don't have the notches for the locks, so my guess would be the cables are wiggling loose.

I also replaced all of the SATA cables as well.

The ones before didn't have the latches, changing the cables didn't appear to have any discernible effect.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The ones before didn't have the latches, changing the cables didn't appear to have any discernible effect.

Well, there goes my idea.:(

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Once I get a little extra money, I think I might get another case and bring my Phenom II 940 back to life and put my RAID back on there. Maybe run Ubuntu Server and just use a samba share for files. I just don't have a whole lot of room for it though. :confused:

Duekay

System Name Workstation : Server/HTPC
Processor Core i7 920 @ 4.2GHz : Core i3 2120
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 : Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
Cooling Cooler Master V8 : Stock
Memory Corsair DDR3 12GB @ 1600Mhz : Corsair DDR3 8GB @ 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 560 Ti & GT 430 : Onboard
Storage OCZ Max I/O 2x128 SSD Raid0 + Corsair 3x120GB SSD Raid0 : Corsair 2x60GB SSD Raid0
Display(s) Dual samsung 24" & 1 Acer 22" : Acer 22 & Samsung 46" TV
Case Antec P182 Performance One : Antec 4U rackmount
Audio Device(s) Mackie Onyx 400F 10x10 : Maudio Fast Track Pro
Power Supply Corsair HX-620 : Corsair HX-650
Software Windows 7 64bit, Cubase 5 : Windows 7 64bit
I tend to try and use the same make and model in my server, I use 4 of the Samsung green 2TB drives in raid10 but then again that's on a highpoint card, all my SSD array are on the chipset though and they are rock solid.
I think it might be a driver issue is well, you could try uninstalling RST, I I remember correctly you don't need RST to make a chipset array you can just do it in the bios? Not sure on that though

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
I tend to try and use the same make and model in my server

If I had money, they would all be WD Caviar Blacks. Ideally I would too, but I've been waiting for drive prices to settle a bit more.

I think it might be a driver issue is well, you could try uninstalling RST,

I did. It didn't help, granted the driver is as old as the release date for X79. :twitch:

I I remember correctly you don't need RST to make a chipset array you can just do it in the bios? Not sure on that though

Not mine. The Intel server boards we have at work let you switch between the RST bios and an LSI bios, but that could just be because they have hardware LSI raid cards in them, not because it has the ability built in to use it. Let me tell you though, LSI makes damn good RAID cards. Put a BBU on one of their cards and turn write caching on and you're living the good life. It's too bad you have to dish out over 300 USD for one though (and that is just the 4-port one!), then you have to give up 8 PCI-E lanes for it as well. 5-disk RAID-5 with 500Gb WD Blacks will turn out over 400Mbs/s in RAID-5 with it, which isn't too shabby.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Its the head parking and spindown. Disable ASPM in the BIOS and see if that helps, the chipset goes to a low power state and the drives go to low power and it wakes and expects to find the drives ready to go, when they aren't it marks them failed as the time for response passes.

Also disable drive sleep, and PCI Link State Power Management in windows power control panel and see if that fixes it.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Its the head parking and spindown. Disable ASPM in the BIOS and see if that helps, the chipset goes to a low power state and the drives go to low power and it wakes and expects to find the drives ready to go, when they aren't it marks them failed as the time for response passes.

Also disable drive sleep, and PCI Link State Power Management in windows power control panel and see if that fixes it.

I was thinking that something like that might be happening. I'm going to go look through the bios.

So I checked the BIOS and you would be surprised at how little there is with regard to power saving on an X79 board. :p

All the Windows settings are as you described already. :(

Edit: Found a newer driver, I plopped that on, see if that helps.

Last edited:
System Name Cogito Ergo Switch
Processor i7 3930K @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Custom Water (CPU/MB/GPU Blocks, 420+240rads PP)
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133 9-11-10-27 @ 2380 9-10-10-28
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX670 FTW 2GB SLI @ 1344core/7648mem + EVGA 650Ti PhysX
Storage Samsung 830 256GB SSD (Boot) + 1TB WD10EZEX (Games/Apps) + 1TB WD10EALX (Prog) + 2x 320GB WD/HGST
Display(s) Dell U2412HM + U2312HM + 2x P2212Hbe + Viewsonic 21.5" 1680x1050
Case NZXT Switch 810 White - MODDED
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD PCI-Express
Power Supply NZXT HALE90 850W - Custom Sleeved Cables (White, No Heatshrink)
Software Windows7 Pro x64
Just wanted to ask for your further opinion on an LSI HW RAID Controller Card? I am considering using one for a home build to add an extra 4-8 6Gbps SATA Ports (4x SSDs, 4x WD RE4 1TB HDDs, and 4x 2TB WD Cav Black). The Z77/X79 chipsets don't have enough ports for all of the drives I need and I don't want to spend a week trying to get some shitty $30 software RAID Card to work only to find out I am getting a max 200Mbps in RAID10 over a x4/x8 lane... Thanks!

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Wow, 8 disk? Not a whole lot of servers even have HDD setups that large. You're looking at more than 500 USD. I think this is what you're looking for as you described. Also keep in mind this is the price without the BBU.

LSI MegaRAID Internal SAS 9265-8i 6Gb/s Dual Core ...

I would also be careful about what you exactly need. Rotational media hard drives won't really benefit from SATA6G, they doesn't go fast enough to really matter and SATA6 on the Z77 PCH should be able to RAID SSDs (it has 4 to 6xSATA6 ports on the PCH, right?) I don't know how well the controller works on Windows, but it worked amazingly on Ubuntu Linux 10.04.3 LTS.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Sounds like TLER. Which makes the issue not strange at all. It's a feature.

I'm not sure why that would cause it to just start happening with my drives now, and only 2 of them for that matter two of which are from the same batch, and only 1 is acting up. I'm not convinced that it is TLER. I've updated the drivers (which were kind of annoying to find on Intel's site I might add they have multiple pages for RSTe drivers,) and so far my RAID has been healthy for a couple days. I'll give it a week since it always seems to do it anywhere between 12 hour after a completing a rebuild to 4 days.

I'm not sure why that would cause it to just start happening with my drives now, and only 2 of them for that matter two of which are from the same batch, and only 1 is acting up. I'm not convinced that it is TLER. I've updated the drivers (which were kind of annoying to find on Intel's site I might add they have multiple pages for RSTe drivers,) and so far my RAID has been healthy for a couple days. I'll give it a week since it always seems to do it anywhere between 12 hour after a completing a rebuild to 4 days.

Because it works like that by design. Until a few generations ago basically any drive supported TLER, so no issues. With the latest generations, however, TLER is only supported in enterprise drives. Basically what happens is that the drive takes too long to recover from an error and the RAID controller decides to drop it. TLER basically cuts off the error recovery after 7 seconds or something along those lines. Some RAID controllers don't have these issues, software arrays tend to be immune as well (ie mdadm).

I've had this issue as well until recently. I ran an Axus SATA to SCSI disk cabinet with 6 drives, ran fine. I also had a 8 bay eSATA das with a RR622 running 8 green drives which caused huge problems. Large writes cause the controller to hang. Resetting the bus fixed it. Moving large amounts of data to the array was near impossible though.

I ended up finding me a 16 bay SATA to SCSI cabinet (also Axus) for free which now replaces both devices. The firmware of these devices are immune to TLER issues.
Most NAS devices use mdadm, which is also immune. I couldn't find a decent solution for Windows though. Using all disks in passthrough and then creating a software array would have been fine.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
I've had this issue as well until recently. I ran an Axus SATA to SCSI disk cabinet with 6 drives, ran fine. I also had a 8 bay eSATA das with a RR622 running 8 green drives which caused huge problems. Large writes cause the controller to hang. Resetting the bus fixed it. Moving large amounts of data to the array was near impossible though.

This never happens in write intensive situations in my case, it's always when the disks are spun up and idle. Like I said, I'm waiting on the drivers because a lot of issues in the past that I've had with Intel hardware has been resolved through some form of software, be it a driver or application. We shall see though.

This never happens in write intensive situations in my case, it's always when the disks are spun up and idle. Like I said, I'm waiting on the drivers because a lot of issues in the past that I've had with Intel hardware has been resolved through some form of software, be it a driver or application. We shall see though.

Write intensive operations are the most likely to cause TLER issues. You might be in luck if it doesn't happen in such situations.

While idle sounds odd though, tried turning off any power saving features? Like spinning down after x minutes?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Write intensive operations are the most likely to cause TLER issues. You might be in luck if it doesn't happen in such situations.

While idle sounds odd though, tried turning off any power saving features? Like spinning down after x minutes?

All power saving wrt the hard drives and pci-e is disabled. I'm going to stress it out a bit later to see how stable it really is, but I suspect it was the drivers considering the ones I got are pretty new and the ones I found before were the same ones from release day. Earlier I was going to take screenshots of the bios' options but come to find out that the P9X79 Deluxe has practically nothing in terms of power saving, but I guess that really isn't the goal of an SB-E build, is it? :p

It did it again. Maybe the RSTe RAID just doesn't like the drives. Maybe I'll buy a new case for my old Phenom II 940 and turn that into a server and pop the drives in there.

Last edited:
System Name Cogito Ergo Switch
Processor i7 3930K @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Custom Water (CPU/MB/GPU Blocks, 420+240rads PP)
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133 9-11-10-27 @ 2380 9-10-10-28
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX670 FTW 2GB SLI @ 1344core/7648mem + EVGA 650Ti PhysX
Storage Samsung 830 256GB SSD (Boot) + 1TB WD10EZEX (Games/Apps) + 1TB WD10EALX (Prog) + 2x 320GB WD/HGST
Display(s) Dell U2412HM + U2312HM + 2x P2212Hbe + Viewsonic 21.5" 1680x1050
Case NZXT Switch 810 White - MODDED
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD PCI-Express
Power Supply NZXT HALE90 850W - Custom Sleeved Cables (White, No Heatshrink)
Software Windows7 Pro x64
Wow, 8 disk? Not a whole lot of servers even have HDD setups that large. You're looking at more than 500 USD. I think this is what you're looking for as you described. Also keep in mind this is the price without the BBU.

LSI MegaRAID Internal SAS 9265-8i 6Gb/s Dual Core ...

I would also be careful about what you exactly need. Rotational media hard drives won't really benefit from SATA6G, they doesn't go fast enough to really matter and SATA6 on the Z77 PCH should be able to RAID SSDs (it has 4 to 6xSATA6 ports on the PCH, right?) I don't know how well the controller works on Windows, but it worked amazingly on Ubuntu Linux 10.04.3 LTS.

I am really into HD video and Uncompressed Audio editing and recording, so 1TB can fill up fast. The SATA3 is because, in RAID0 or 10,the throughput of even mech drives should be high enough to take advantage, yes? Or am I misunderstanding the concept?

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I am really into HD video and Uncompressed Audio editing and recording, so 1TB can fill up fast. The SATA3 is because, in RAID0 or 10,the throughput of even mech drives should be high enough to take advantage, yes? Or am I misunderstanding the concept?

You are misunderstanding, each drive has SATA 3 speeds available.

The connection of the controller is the next saturation point, and it isn't an issue either in that case.

Few if any mechanical hard drives alone could saturate the connections as provided on your board. Most SSD's would have issues saturating any single, or set of connections in a RAID array.

If you are working with media files you are doing it wrong. Huge, and almost obscene amounts of RAM, then SSD's with the windows cache left on them, and then Mechanical hard drives to complete the need for massive storage.

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w

Sata HDDs barely reach 150mps (Sata1) as long as there is enough bandwidth for the controller to run all sata ports at full speed then upgrading controllers to sata2/3 wont help.

happy

System Name HAPPY
Processor i7-2600
Motherboard ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3
Cooling CORSAIR CAFA50 (CPU)
Memory 4GB 1333mhz
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI
Storage HITACHI 160GB 7200RPM HDT721016SLA380 & 5 IDE 250GB WD HDD
Power Supply Corsair 650 TX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
I thought you can't RAID Caviar blacks?

Tell that to the 20+ Caviar Blacks on our servers at work. Our LSI and 3Ware RAID controllers don't appear to have any issues with them, granted we're not using any of the onboard Intel RAID solutions on our servers which would be must closer to what I'm trying to do. I seriously think that I'm going to resurrect my Phenom II and turn it into a server and rely on nVidia fake-raid since it worked really well with these drives.

Last edited:
System Name WAZAAM!
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Pro Gaming
Cooling Kraken x62
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC
Storage Micron 9200 Max
Display(s) Samsung 49" 5120x1440 120hz
Case Corsair 600D
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Bose Companion 2 Speakers
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro
Tell that to the 20+ Caviar Blacks on our servers at work. Our LSI and 3Ware RAID controllers don't appear to have any issues with them, granted we're not using any of the onboard Intel RAID solutions on our servers which would be must closer to what I'm trying to do. I seriously think that I'm going to resurrect my Phenom II and turn it into a server and rely on nVidia fake-raid since it worked really well with these drives.

How old are the Blacks?

Western Digital only made the change somewhat recently. I have a bunch of caviar blues in RAID that work great because they have TLER enabled. WD made the change to push people to the RE series if you are doing RAID.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
How old are the Blacks?

Western Digital only made the change somewhat recently. I have a bunch of caviar blues in RAID that work great because they have TLER enabled. WD made the change to push people to the RE series if you are doing RAID.

some are 4 years old, some are two. Nothing newer than 2010.

If this is a recent change, my 4 year old drives shouldn't even be having an issue with this.

System Name WAZAAM!
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Pro Gaming
Cooling Kraken x62
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC
Storage Micron 9200 Max
Display(s) Samsung 49" 5120x1440 120hz
Case Corsair 600D
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Bose Companion 2 Speakers
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ok, that's stranger. I'm running 4x WD 6400AAKS (caviar blue) drives in RAID10 on the Intel chipset (z68).

These drives are only about 3 years old. If these don't have problems I doubt it's specific to the drives and is most likely a driver problem.

Sorry, really not sure what else you could try.