• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Easy-To-Use Wi-Fi An Essential Offering For Service Providers

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Seamless connection to Wi-Fi on the go is the overwhelming preference of smartphone and tablet users, according to a new survey released today by the Wi-Fi Alliance. Ninety percent of those polled said they would likely stick with their current service provider if it offered the ability to connect automatically in Wi-Fi hotspots, and 72 percent said they would pay more for it. Seventy percent said they would switch providers if necessary to access this type of offering.

Conducted by Wakefield Research on behalf of the Wi-Fi Alliance, the poll results indicate that easy-to-use Wi-Fi can drive loyalty and impact service providers' bottom line. It comes at a time when providers worldwide rely on Wi-Fi to ease exploding data demand on their networks, and consumers gravitate to it to stay connected. A new certification program from the Wi-Fi Alliance, Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Passpoint, is poised to transform Wi-Fi into a true extension of service provider networks.

With Passpoint, devices automatically identify and join Wi-Fi networks, and users are not required to complete a cumbersome manual login process. Passpoint also automatically configures industry-standard WPA2 security protections without user intervention. Passpoint certification for network equipment and end user devices is expected to begin in June, and is based on the Wi-Fi Alliance Hotspot 2.0 Specification.

"We know Passpoint is going to delight our user base - people love Wi-Fi and want to connect easily everywhere they go," said Edgar Figueroa, CEO of Wi-Fi Alliance. "Passpoint also addresses the pressing service provider needs for data offload and subscriber loyalty, and Passpoint gives Wi-Fi equipment vendors a single industry-wide solution to satisfy service provider requirements."

There is no question that consumers have embraced Wi-Fi, and they use it to get the most out of their favorite gadgets. In other findings from the study:
  • When using a smartphone or tablet, 85 percent prefer to connect via Wi-Fi over cellular for at least one common online activity
  • Eighty-three percent would do more on their device if Wi-Fi were more widely available
  • Eighty-seven percent agreed that they want "greater Wi-Fi availability for my device"
More information about Passpoint, including technical specifications, a white paper, and links to download the new Wi-Fi Alliance mobile app, is available at www.wi-fi.org.

Methodological note: The Wi-Fi Alliance Passpoint Survey was conducted by Wakefield Research among 1,001 U.S. smartphone and tablet owners ages 18 and older, between April 16th and April 23rd, 2012, using an email invitation and an online survey. Quotas have been set to ensure reliable and accurate representation of U.S. smartphone and tablet owners ages 18 and older.

Results of any sample are subject to sampling variation. The magnitude of the variation is measurable and is affected by the number of interviews and the level of the percentages expressing the results. For the interviews conducted in this particular study, the chances are 95 in 100 that a survey result does not vary, plus or minus, by more than 3.1 percentage points from the result that would be obtained if interviews had been conducted with all persons in the universe represented by the sample.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
sounds like an invitation to get your identity stolen.

newfellow

System Name ID
Processor Q9450 ~3.74Ghz
Motherboard ASUS-P5E
Cooling Air
Memory G.Skill CL4-8GB
Video Card(s) ATI/Geforce 5850/9800
Storage A-lot
Display(s) BenQ G2400WT
Case 900
Audio Device(s) Shitty ASUS FX;P
Power Supply OCZ GXS 850W
Software -
Benchmark Scores too many machines to spec
"If the world would be better would you order it from us?" :toast: 95%

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
If you would like you MAC address used more often whores on a free day we would like to make sure you can with pay for wifi almost everywhere. And it only costs more money.

I thought the whole idea of phone tethering, or 4G hotspots was to provide your OWN secure internet to all those devices that you can't fit in your pocket for the 15 minute wait for the bus, taxi, plane, etc....

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
I'd like to know why it's so hard to click connect? Am I missing something here?

And everyone knows that it auto reconnects the next time....

GD, people are so dumb and lazy. Kiss my glowing white fanny if you drive an automatic car, too.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I thought the whole idea of phone tethering, or 4G hotspots was to provide your OWN secure internet to all those devices that you can't fit in your pocket for the 15 minute wait for the bus, taxi, plane, etc....

It seems the bogus tether fee isn't enough to appease them. It is ludicrous considering that it is no different than paying your auto dealer extra money to use your back seat.

"the poll results indicate that easy-to-use Wi-Fi can... impact service providers' bottom line."

They will never be satisfied with last month's bill, paid in full.

Last edited:
Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
It seems seems the bogus tether fee isn't enough to appease them. It is ludicrous considering that it is no different than paying your auto dealer extra money to use your back seat.

"the poll results indicate that easy-to-use Wi-Fi can... impact service providers' bottom line."

They will never be satisfied with last month's bill, paid in full.

Prepaid no contract FTW. I switched to straight talk. It's funny b/c the big telecoms have lots of resellers for their networks, but they're getting a much smaller amount of money for their network use. It kinda makes full plan subscribers suckers.

They'll just keep jacking prices for joe schmoe and pick up the slack with resellers, apparently.

Processor 2700x under H100i progeebee
Motherboard ASUS x470 prime
Cooling Fans
Memory gskill ripjaw 3200
Video Card(s) MSi Vega 64 ref
Storage 120Gb OCZ Vertex 2E SSD - 500Gb Games - 1.5tb Storage and Media
Case CM HAF 932
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Win 10
Would only work in service areas with high populations and a larger collection of walking zombie customers who would rather pay more on their bill instead of learning how to connect to the internet. :shadedshu

I'll just come out and say it.

- Citiots
- apple iusers
- old people

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Prepaid no contract FTW. I switched to straight talk. It's funny b/c the big telecoms have lots of resellers for their networks, but they're getting a much smaller amount of money for their network use. It kinda makes full plan subscribers suckers.

They'll just keep jacking prices for joe schmoe and pick up the slack with resellers, apparently.

Kroger iwirleless here... (sprint mvno) and I got a LG Optimus S, yeah not the best phone in the world but it's better then the crap I had before...