• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

30fps doubling image in games

Status
Not open for further replies.

laimis911

make sure v-sync is on... try it and let us know.

You can enable it either through the game vid options or through the control panel.
i already tried everything ,this is why I'm here -tried everything and no luck solving this puzzle :) like i said every game with or without vsync caped at 30fps looks like crap . tried everything even such a tweaks like FLIP QUEUE SIZE also known as FRAMES RENDER AHEAD to prevent less frames ,nothing made a difference

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Run fraps and tell us what it says. It should show a steady 60fps. If it shows lower and/or starts dropping, then there's your problem right there. No ifs, buts or maybes.

It's free and you can get it at www.fraps.com

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
i already tried everything ,this is why I'm here -tried everything and no luck solving this puzzle :) like i said every game with or without vsync caped at 30fps looks like crap . tried everything even such a tweaks like FLIP QUEUE SIZE also known as FRAMES RENDER AHEAD to prevent less frames ,nothing made a difference

what is the make /model of your display?

laimis911

No, consoles are built to match with TVs, that have different display technology, and built-in scalers that smooth framerates and upconvert SD video while increasing displayed frames.

The basic tech is similar, but in no way is it even REMOTELY the same.

That said, I'm fairly impressed you know the cause of the problem, without knowing what monitor he's using, or what type of connection to said monitor, neither of which has been covered.:wtf:

:toast:
I'm using Tv not pc monitor ,my TVs manufacturers i guess will be not known where you live but TV has good quality in my country ,also i have older PC monitor LG ,same doubling on both TV and monitor . I'm using HDMI ,tried on DVI-same thing

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
I'm using Tv not pc monitor ,my TVs manufacturers i guess will be not known where you live but TV has good quality in my country ,also i have older PC monitor LG ,same doubling on both TV and monitor . I'm using HDMI ,tried on DVI-same thing

TV/monitor makes no difference. They work the same way. The only differences are the feature sets and optimisations, but the underlying display technology is the same.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Is game mode enabled on tv? can you disable some of the picture settings?

laimis911

Run fraps and tell us what it says. It should show a steady 60fps. If it shows lower and/or starts dropping, then there's your problem right there. No ifs, buts or maybes.

It's free and you can get it at www.fraps.com
what i need to benchmark for example ? game movie or anything else ?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
what i need to benchmark for example ? game movie or anything else ?

Just look at the frame rate displayed in yellow in the corner. It shouldn't budge much from 60. Please let us know what you see.

laimis911

Is game mode enabled on tv? can you disable some of the picture settings?
my tv doesn't have game mode only colors ,sharpness sliders etc in other options aspect ratio some kind of noise reduction -i don't know what it does but i guess not much .

Last edited:

laimis911

Just look at the frame rate displayed in yellow in the corner. It shouldn't budge much from 60. Please let us know what you see.
the numbers doesn't appears until i watching movie or play game but they only showing movie or game frames . not desktop . or i don't understand something?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
the numbers doesn't appears until i watching movie or play game but they only showing movie or game frames . not desktop . or i don't understand something?

Yes, that's right, the number shows up on animation and a movie counts as "animation" in this context, because it has a framerate.

btw, the desktop also has a framerate, but the display for this is disabled in Fraps by default and isn't particularly useful to see. There's an option to turn it on in the Fraps settings, but I can't remember which one it is off the top of my head. I think it may be called desktop composition or something.

Play the game where you were seeing the problem and let us know if the frame rate stays at 60 or if it drops. Any drops = judder/strobing and stutter motion artefacts.

laimis911

Yes, that's right, the number shows up on animation and a movie counts as "animation" in this context, because it has a framerate.

btw, the desktop also has a framerate, but the display for this is disabled in Fraps by default and isn't particularly useful to see. There's an option to turn it on in the Fraps settings, but I can't remember which one it is off the top of my head. I think it may be called desktop composition or something.

Play the game where you were seeing the problem and let us know if the frame rate stays at 60 or if it drops. Any drops = judder/strobing and stutter motion artefacts.
I found that option to measure my desktop frames but fraps unable to do that ,frames meter is stuck until somethings moves on desktop so it's not possible to measure . i don't need to play specific game all games have the same issue with doubling if fps caped at 30fps . the reason i want to use limiter is to not have fps jumps and slow downs ,30fps its a nice spot where games are still playable and runs smooth but with that doubling it's very hard to play . for example i can run skyrim at 50-60fps and there is no need to cap ,but i recently played L.A Noire which is caped at 30fps by developers and that doubling really makes the game unplayable

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
LA Noire does the doubling without you manually forcing 30fps right?

Yo_Wattup

System Name Desktop/Gamer/Digital Audio Wokstation ||| HTPC
Processor 2500k @ 4.65ghz ||| AMD A8 @ 3.6ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 with single Blue Antec Tri-Cool 120mm ||| Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 @1900mhz 8-9-9-24 ||| 8GB G.Skill 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) 2x HIS HD6950 2GB Crossfire, 6970 clocks ||| HD6550D
Storage 120GB Intel 320 series SSD + 2TB storage ||| 1TB Seagate
Display(s) 32" Sony Bravia LCD 1080p ||| 50" Hitachi Plasma 1080p
Case Raidmax Raptor modded to 7 fans ||| A compact HP Case
Audio Device(s) Firewire audio interface + two 9" studio monitors, 450 REAL watts ||| onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W ||| generic 400W
Software Win 7 Ultimate + Win 8 consumer preview||| Win 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Never drops below 60fps Battlefield 3 everything on max, fov 90. :D
I found that option to measure my desktop frames but fraps unable to do that ,frames meter is stuck until somethings moves on desktop so it's not possible to measure . i don't need to play specific game all games have the same issue with doubling if fps caped at 30fps . the reason i want to use limiter is to not have fps jumps and slow downs ,30fps its a nice spot where games are still playable and runs smooth but with that doubling it's very hard to play . for example i can run skyrim at 50-60fps and there is no need to cap ,but i recently played L.A Noire which is caped at 30fps by developers and that doubling really makes the game unplayable

Is la noire the only game you see it on? If so, get the frame uncapping patch. If not, lower your settings so it doesn't drop to below 30fps.... I don't see what's so difficult about this... you say that it only happens when its at or below 30fps, so just increase the fps. ???

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I don't know if it was asked but have you tried a second TV or monitor?

laimis911

Is la noire the only game you see it on? If so, get the frame uncapping patch. If not, lower your settings so it doesn't drop to below 30fps.... I don't see what's so difficult about this... you say that it only happens when its at or below 30fps, so just increase the fps. ???
you don't listening me :) i like quality over quantity . in order to get smooth image you need 60fps or 30fps running at 60hz same thing with 50hz monitor your fps must be 25 or 50 to get smooth image . And again i don't like when fps are jumping . Take assassins creed ,that game runs terrible from 60fps to 25 ,to make it more playable and more enjoyable fps capping is "must have thing" same thing with GTA4 and many others . I wrote this thread only to clarify is just me or more people has this problem playing at 30fps

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

Yes, the desktop doesn't actually refresh until something moves, as you've discovered and this is normal. Your idea of capping the games at 30fps like this is fundamentally flawed and causes the doubling/judder you're seeing. There's nothing smooth about it and there's nothing wrong with your system. I really can't explain it any more clearly.

Am I right that you've got an nvidia card with the latest beta driver which allows capping of the framerate to half the monitor refresh rate? That driver is the only one which allows this, or the release driver for the GTX 680.

You should put your system specs in (go to your forum control panel) so that we can see what kind of system you have and can give you better advice. Plus, it's cool to share. :cool: See mine for an example.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Have you tried putting the card in a different PCI-e slot in the mobo?

laimis911

Yes, the desktop doesn't actually refresh until something moves, as you've discovered and this is normal. Your idea of capping the games at 30fps like this is fundamentally flawed and causes the doubling/judder you're seeing. There's nothing smooth about it and there's nothing wrong with your system. I really can't explain it any more clearly.

Am I right that you've got an nvidia card with the latest beta driver which allows capping of the framerate to half the monitor refresh rate? That driver is the only one which allows this, or the release driver for the GTX 680.

You should put your system specs in (go to your forum control panel) so that we can see what kind of system you have and can give you better advice. Plus, it's cool to share. :cool: See mine for an example.
I'm understand your explanation very clear . I'm using HD 6870 but i think there is no need to go further into specs because everything i see comes from my video card :) well there is a plenty fps limiters like dxtory (built in for any dx game) Msi Afterburner has that option(any dx), bandicam (any dx game), Fps Limiter 0.2 (dx9 games) D3D9 antilag v1.01 (for dx9 games)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I'm understand your explanation very clear . I'm using HD 6870 but i think there is no need to go further into specs because everything i see comes from my video card :) well there is a plenty fps limiters like dxtory (built in for any dx game) Msi Afterburner has that option(any dx), bandicam (any dx game), Fps Limiter 0.2 (dx9 games) D3D9 antilag v1.01 (for dx9 games)

Thanks for the fps limiter info, that was useful. :)

Sure, listing your specs is optional, but recommended.

Finally, I'm glad you understand what I'm saying about the frame rate. Get your system to run vsync-locked to the monitor's refresh rate with no dropped frames and you'll enjoy judder-free animation every time.

laimis911

Thanks for the fps limiter info, that was useful. :)

Sure, listing your specs is optional, but recommended.

Finally, I'm glad you understand what I'm saying about the frame rate. Get your system to run vsync-locked to the monitor's refresh rate with no dropped frames and you'll enjoy judder-free animation every time.
thanks and you're welcome :)

uhhh, so is this solved?

juddering is not the same as ghosting frames

console games are NOT perfect 30fps or 60fps, some games have vsync, some dont, some can barely handle 25 fps, etc... they're just like pc games really, so why is only the pc showing a different image?

what seems to change is the cable used? the card's port, the monitor's port? the CCC settings

Status
Not open for further replies.