• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Asrock Gen 3 Extreme 3?

Hello.

Apparently I purchased this motherboard and tried assembling my own gaming PC, but for some irritating reason it's NOT UPDATED. Asrock has claimed they update it before despatch so this is more of a lie.

They supposedly added support to Ivy bridge, which I did install, but nothing works as I only get Dr. Debug 55, which means no memory.

So now I got some repair man to take a look and he couldn't get it to boot now!

Either I messed up my motherboard completely or I got a blatant ripoff product?

How did it go for you guys? I'm really really irritated how they messed it up for me. :banghead:

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
Last edited:
Assuming that you're talking about the z68 extreme 3 gen. 3, then there are two potential problems.

1) BIOS has not been updated. The z68 doesn't have compatibility with Ivy Bridge out of the box. You need to flash the BIOS, but in order to do this you'll need a Sandy Bridge chip.

2) How is the RAM being populated? This leads to one of two potential problems (I experienced the later on my board, and had to RMA back to Asrock).
a) Do you have RAM in the appropriate slots. If you don't populate the first slot, then the computer doesn't have anything to start with. Check the motherboard manual for which slots should be populated first.
b) Do you have a bad RAM slot? If 1 and 2a weren't true, then this is most likely the situation. Contact Asrock about an RMA. In the US, use the following contact: stephanie@asrockamerica.com

In the future, the following information would help to solve this sort of problem:
1) CPU (Model number)
2) Motherboard (accurate model name, or link)
3) RAM (manufacturer, frequency, voltage, and capacity)

Edit:
Where are you? If you offer up a location (as simple as a state, I'm not asking you to compromise personal information), then you might be able to find someone near you that has an SB chip you can borrow.

Last edited:
System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
Disconnect your PSU from power source, push start button to drain the capacitors, press the CLEAR CMOS button on your mobo. Wait a minute then plug back the power cord. It should POST.

Assuming that you're talking about the z68 extreme 3 gen. 3, then there are two potential problems.

1) BIOS has not been updated. The z68 doesn't have compatibility with Ivy Bridge out of the box. You need to flash the BIOS, but in order to do this you'll need a Sandy Bridge chip.

2) How is the RAM being populated? This leads to one of two potential problems (I experienced the later on my board, and had to RMA back to Asrock).
a) Do you have RAM in the appropriate slots. If you don't populate the first slot, then the computer doesn't have anything to start with. Check the motherboard manual for which slots should be populated first.
b) Do you have a bad RAM slot? If 1 and 2a weren't true, then this is most likely the situation. Contact Asrock about an RMA. In the US, use the following contact: stephanie@asrockamerica.com

In the future, the following information would help to solve this sort of problem:
1) CPU (Model number)
2) Motherboard (accurate model name, or link)
3) RAM (manufacturer, frequency, voltage, and capacity)

Edit:
Where are you? If you offer up a location (as simple as a state, I'm not asking you to compromise personal information), then you might be able to find someone near you that has an SB chip you can borrow.

I live in the UK and I've taken it to a shop which does repairs.

Now I got a call saying they couldn't get it to POST even when they used Sandy Bridge... Oh dear.

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
RMA time.

Great... Another time for a time-waster. I dunno how I screwed it up and I am really really REALLY irritated. :cry:

I'll just hear from the servicemen and see what they've said what they've tried then see if they can repair it completely for me.

Sorry, but it sounds like a shot board. The lack of post, after a RAM issue, seems to point to an improper or damaged set of connections between the CPU and the motherboard.

No memory control, then no post, means the worst is likely.

I don't know who the Asrock Europe connection is, sorry.

Sorry, but it sounds like a shot board. The lack of post, after a RAM issue, seems to point to an improper or damaged set of connections between the CPU and the motherboard.

No memory control, then no post, means the worst is likely.

I don't know who the Asrock Europe connection is, sorry.

Ehh screw this I'm going to buy a different board, this is too much of a hassle. I hope the CPU still works... If it doesn't then I'm pretty much screwed with this laptop.