• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PSU works, but wont power for test

System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Gigabyte G24F-2 (180Hz Freesync) & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
Hey Jay, you finally have a build up and running then....good man. Looks a bit different to the one that was originally specced. Let me know how you get on with the HD 7850, I have one at the moment but it's matched up with a crappy system so will be interested in the results you get to compare.

Hope the keyboard comes soon :)

Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please don't take this the wrong way! But what do the Ram sticks have to do with powering the board? (not saying you're wrong I'm just curious as I'm new to this.

Also the frigging heat sink wont even work now ether )): the brackets wont fit with the spacers on :banghead::banghead:

^ Never mind got the heat sink, just can't put it on a certain way, there's a gold cylinder blocking horizontal alignment on the board though from what I can tell.

the heat sink is now on, thermal paste and all, went well.
Although, no change ):

I do not take questions the wrong way.:)
I read in a couple of forums that board has a dislike for some G.skill modules and I saw at the ASRock site there is a BIOS update that fixes the compatiability problem with some G.Skill modules.
The latest bios 1.50, here > ASRock bios page

Bios Description:
1. Modify i-Rock PS2 keyboard issue.
2. Patch G-SKILL F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL memory.

Note:
If, you do plan a firmware/bios update and you are unsure... make a thread for help, because you may/can run into unforeseen problems/glitches.
There are different ways to do it. And, someone with experience on those boards may have some good advice/input.
A bad BIOS/firmware update gone wrong can brick the device you are updating.

Not meaning to scare you or put you off from doing it, if, you need (emphasis on need) to, but it can go wrong.

Also, at the Memory Support List they recommend:

It is recommended to install a memory module in DDR3_A2 or DDR3_B2 slot first!

Glad you got it up and running.

Sorry, I sorta disappeared yesterday, but my wife's aunt called and had to do a call out to fix her wireless on the comcast router and did not get back 'til late.

Although I do have to hold the motherboards power button at the same time as I flick the switch, although it does that Start and stopping thing without the heatsink still.

Check that manual and the manual for the case to be sure the header connections are correct and secure.

And, ALWAYS make sure, whenever you turn on the system, that the heat sink and fan are placed and operational.

Jaywray

Hey Jay, you finally have a build up and running then....good man. Looks a bit different to the one that was originally specced. Let me know how you get on with the HD 7850, I have one at the moment but it's matched up with a crappy system so will be interested in the results you get to compare.

Hope the keyboard comes soon :)

Hey bro! aye the specs changed based on what the prices on Amazon were at the time ^^', the 7850 was asus and only 1 left in stock so they lowered the price to £174.99, thought it was a good price and thought what the hey! same with the motherboard actually :)

I haven't had a chance to really test out the graphics card as I'm still tweaking things to my liking but if you want me to try any tests on any software or anything let me know man :)

And it came at 10 to 6 today strangely enough!

I do not take questions the wrong way.:)
I read in a couple of forums that board has a dislike for some G.skill modules and I saw at the ASRock site there is a BIOS update that fixes the compatiability problem with some G.Skill modules.
The latest bios 1.50, here > ASRock bios page

Bios Description:
1. Modify i-Rock PS2 keyboard issue.
2. Patch G-SKILL F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL memory.

Note:
If, you do plan a firmware/bios update and you are unsure... make a thread for help, because you may/can run into unforeseen problems/glitches.
There are different ways to do it. And, someone with experience on those boards may have some good advice/input.
A bad BIOS/firmware update gone wrong can brick the device you are updating.

Not meaning to scare you or put you off from doing it, if, you need (emphasis on need) to, but it can go wrong.

Also, at the Memory Support List they recommend:

Glad you got it up and running.

Sorry, I sorta disappeared yesterday, but my wife's aunt called and had to do a call out to fix her wireless on the comcast router and did not get back 'til late.

Check that manual and the manual for the case to be sure the header connections are correct and secure.

And, ALWAYS make sure, whenever you turn on the system, that the heat sink and fan are placed and operational.

No worries about you disappearing! happens to us all :)

Thanks for the help getting everything up and running, first build went quite well I think honestly the only issue was getting the mobo to power :D I must have misplaced the audio header or something caue the audio jack ain't working but that's an easy fix :)

Cheers for your help once again!

I'm just tweaking the settings etc now,

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooling Vetroo V5
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
VR HMD Rift S
I look forward to seeing some pics of the build if you have a camera.

They'll be a few games you can try out for me when you get the time mate, look forward to it and I'm sure you're gonna love your new system :)

Jaywray

I look forward to seeing some pics of the build if you have a camera.

They'll be a few games you can try out for me when you get the time mate, look forward to it and I'm sure you're gonna love your new system :)

Well I'm playing crysis 2 on ultra right now, lagged like hell at first... then i noticed diablo 3 was running in the background xD

But it's running grand right now with no noticeable frame drops at all :)

Also you want pics? I got pics!
.... But you have to promise not to laugh at my attempt at cable management LOL

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooling Vetroo V5
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
VR HMD Rift S
Holy shit, Spaghetti junction in a case :) Looks great bud and some nice choices on the hardware. I can't wait to get a decent system around my card, currently running it with a phenom ii low clocked quad and ddr2 800 UUURRRGGGHHH lol.

Will soon have a socket 2011 build up and running though so not all bad :)

Jaywray

Holy shit, Spaghetti junction in a case :) Looks great bud and some nice choices on the hardware. I can't wait to get a decent system around my card, currently running it with a phenom ii low clocked quad and ddr2 800 UUURRRGGGHHH lol.

Will soon have a socket 2011 build up and running though so not all bad :)

Leave my cable management alone =p I spent time on that! ^^'

I'm afraid since I never looked into AMD processors/mobos so I'm not sure what to say about that!
Aren't they releasing a new line of processors to compete with Ivy soon? maybe you could wait for that, and for all we know it could be a killer :)

Although from what I hear amd's top of the line bulldozer is around the i5 2500k in performance, and man, my system is fast as hell! way faster than my old computer with a 2.8ghz duo core!

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Cooling Vetroo V5
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
VR HMD Rift S
Leave my cable management alone =p I spent time on that! ^^'

I'm afraid since I never looked into AMD processors/mobos so I'm not sure what to say about that!
Aren't they releasing a new line of processors to compete with Ivy soon? maybe you could wait for that, and for all we know it could be a killer :)

Although from what I hear amd's top of the line bulldozer is around the i5 2500k in performance, and man, my system is fast as hell! way faster than my old computer with a 2.8ghz duo core!

I used to have an i5 2500k so I know how speedy they are, great chips. AMD are off the pace unfortunately at the moment hence the Intel upgrade when I get the funds. This system apart from the gfx card is my mum's old system she used for facebook and friends reunited :laugh:

After having a high clocked 2500k this seems like I'm gaming on a calculator :D

Jaywray

I used to have an i5 2500k so I know how speedy they are, great chips. AMD are off the pace unfortunately at the moment hence the Intel upgrade when I get the funds. This system apart from the gfx card is my mum's old system she used for facebook and friends reunited :laugh:

After having a high clocked 2500k this seems like I'm gaming on a calculator :D

I was thinking you had an i5 last we talked, wasn't sure if it'd fried or something which caused you to go to amd ^^'
But hey man, at least you've something to look forward to right? :D