• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer hangs on Windows Logo, help!

System Name GlaDOS 4.0
Processor AMD FX-8120 4.4ghz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsiar H60
Memory corsair vengeance 1600mhz 16Gigs
Video Card(s) 2x Sapphire ATI 6970's Both @ 960mhz 1400mhz
Storage 1x Corsair force Gt 240G 2x seagate barracuda 1tb 7200rpm
Display(s) 1x Acer 24 inch 1920x1080
Case cooler master atcs 840
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 892 8-Channel
Power Supply 1300w CoolerMaster Silent Pro
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
Benchmark Scores Bad

hooj

System Name First and last Custom build cus it was just too tedious.
Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V LX
Cooling Stock
Memory G.Skill RipJaw X 2x 2GB
Video Card(s) Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
Storage Seagate Momentus XT 320GB
Display(s) 17" Proview LCD/ 19.5" Viewsonic Optiquest/ 19" LG Flatron LCD TV with the Red bit on it
Case NZXT Source 220
Audio Device(s) None
Power Supply Corsair TX750 V2
Software Windows XP Professional
Benchmark Scores N/A
Hello, i am having trouble yet again. This time i removed my nvidia drivers and it boots past the windows logo everytime so i guess it's a driver problem. Everytime i reinstall new drivers i can't get past the windows logo, any help? I've also tried driver sweeper to no avail.

hooj

Processor i5 2500k
Cooling Stock
Display(s) 17" Proview LCD/ 19.5" Viewsonic Optiquest/ 19" LG Flatron LCD TV with the Red bit on it
Case NZXT Source 220
Audio Device(s) None
Benchmark Scores N/A
So i can boot into normal mode with no nvidia drivers and i can boot using the integrated Intel GPU on my mobo but just not with updated nvidia drivers via PCI-E GPU. Any help please?

System Name H2o Box
Processor Intel(R) Xeon e5-2690 v2 Stock 3.300 GHz stock
Motherboard MSI X79A-G43 Plus (MS-7760) v3
Cooling CPU EK & Phobya G-Changer 360 V2.0 RAD H2o VGA "AlphaCool M18" Hybrid [pump replaced 18/8/21]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 16Gb 11-12-12-32 2T @ 1866Mhz [locked]
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME
Storage HyperX Fury 120GB & Savage 480GB SSD, Seagate 250GB,250GB 7200rpm Kingston 64GB SSD
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQR 2560*1440 165Hz VA Panel
Case Corsair O-800D
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Be Quiet! [Dark Power Pro 11] 1200W CM replaced [7-4-2017]
Mouse Zelotes T-90
Keyboard K66 Mechanical US Layout
Software Win 10 Pro 64Bit v 20H2 / OS [build 19043.1237] WFEP 120.2212.3530.0
So i can boot into normal mode with no nvidia drivers and i can boot using the integrated Intel GPU on my mobo but just not with updated nvidia drivers via PCI-E GPU. Any help please?

Hi

follow this guide by erocker - http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52502
; if after doing this you are still unable to boot into windows with the Nvidia Forceware drivers then you may need to RMA if still in warranty.

as a last resort you could try forcing the drivers in VGA mode by raising the resolution, but this would only work until the next boot, when you would have to repeat the process

atb (all the best)

Law-II

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
I used to love XP, then realized what people were saying was true, that it hangs and corrupts much worse than W7. Yeah it has a repair option, but it's a temp fix at best, because it never succeeds at rewriting things very well.

That said, I HAVE been able to more than once get much better results than you're indicating via an XP repair. So if the problems are not in fact driver related vs OS corruption, I have to wonder what condition the BIOS is in.

Often times on XP I've had success fixing problems with a CMOS reset, and I've seen others I suggested it to see the same results. Depends what the problem is. If you're not sure how to reset the CMOS, look in the MB manual if you have it, Google for it, or let us know the MB model. It's more likely to work on older vs newer MBs, but it's worth a shot.

When reinstalling drivers though, make SURE you use clean install methods. Either manually remove the old ones, or in the case of Nvidia's superior installer, you can opt to perform a clean install simultaneously, and it will do it for you. If I'm REALLY worried about clean driver installs, I use Driver Cleaner, Driver Sweeper, or even Revo Uninstaller, all of which find all the tid bits left behind.

As far as W7 goes, it may very well get corrupted too, eventually, but I find it's been FAR more resistant to it than XP ever was. I've used it for over a yr and a half now with no format. Furthermore it's Debugging and Last Known Good Config options can actually work, whereas XP's never did.

I also like that W7 has better compatibility modes, despite many claiming the reverse, and that it carefully loads settings and lets you know progress on the welcome screen when rebooting after a big series of updates. I don't get constant send error report messages anymore like I did with XP either.

hooj

Processor i5 2500k
Cooling Stock
Case NZXT Source 220
Audio Device(s) None
Benchmark Scores N/A
Hi

follow this guide by erocker - http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52502
; if after doing this you are still unable to boot into windows with the Nvidia Forceware drivers then you may need to RMA if still in warranty.

as a last resort you could try forcing the drivers in VGA mode by raising the resolution, but this would only work until the next boot, when you would have to repeat the process

atb (all the best)

Law-II

I got rid of XP, formatted and installed Windows 7 and installed the newest nvidia drivers. Now when i boot with my monitor connected to my PCI-E GPU it goes into power saving mode. However everything works when i boot up with my monitor connected to my Integrated GPU.

So if and when i sort out the power saving mode problem my computer still hangs on the windows logo whilst connected to the PCI-E GPU, does that mean my GPU needs replacing?

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Hello, i am having trouble yet again. This time i removed my nvidia drivers and it boots past the windows logo everytime so i guess it's a driver problem. Everytime i reinstall new drivers i can't get past the windows logo, any help? I've also tried driver sweeper to no avail.

So my suspicions were correct.

Like most other forums, most people here seem to refuse that Nvidia drivers cause issues.

Behind all the "ATI DRIVERS SUCK" threads are people whom are in denial about Nvidia's equally dodgy drivers.

I got rid of XP, formatted and installed Windows 7 and installed the newest nvidia drivers. Now when i boot with my monitor connected to my PCI-E GPU it goes into power saving mode. However everything works when i boot up with my monitor connected to my Integrated GPU.

So if and when i sort out the power saving mode problem my computer still hangs on the windows logo whilst connected to the PCI-E GPU, does that mean my GPU needs replacing?

Congratulations moving to Windows 7 :)

The issue seems to be driver or a physical video card related issue. The 9600GT is well over 4 year sold so it could be naturally degrading. If you game it's time to replace it soon regardless.

ps. also make sure you are installing the latest drivers. v301.42. Tue May 22, 2012.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.

Roll back to older drivers man.

System Name H2o Box
Processor Intel(R) Xeon e5-2690 v2 Stock 3.300 GHz stock
Motherboard MSI X79A-G43 Plus (MS-7760) v3
Cooling CPU EK & Phobya G-Changer 360 V2.0 RAD H2o VGA "AlphaCool M18" Hybrid [pump replaced 18/8/21]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 16Gb 11-12-12-32 2T @ 1866Mhz [locked]
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME
Storage HyperX Fury 120GB & Savage 480GB SSD, Seagate 250GB,250GB 7200rpm Kingston 64GB SSD
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQR 2560*1440 165Hz VA Panel
Case Corsair O-800D
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Be Quiet! [Dark Power Pro 11] 1200W CM replaced [7-4-2017]
Mouse Zelotes T-90
Keyboard K66 Mechanical US Layout
Software Win 10 Pro 64Bit v 20H2 / OS [build 19043.1237] WFEP 120.2212.3530.0

Hi

If you have access to another PC install the Inno3D 9600GT 512MB in it; if you have same issue not able to get into windows, RMA the card if in warranty.

+1 TheMailMan78; this is worth a shot

atb

Law-II

hooj

Processor i5 2500k
Cooling Stock
Case NZXT Source 220
Audio Device(s) None
Benchmark Scores N/A
System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
So my suspicions were correct.

Like most other forums, most people here seem to refuse that Nvidia drivers cause issues.

Behind all the "ATI DRIVERS SUCK" threads are people whom are in denial about Nvidia's equally dodgy drivers.
I don't think anyone, including the OP, have proven the specific cause of the problem. He's on a pretty old model of card, and it might be he just hasn't tried the best driver version for it yet, or has BIOS corruption, or even a problem with his Pci-Ex bus or slot the GPU is in.

Finding which driver to use for older GPUs (with literally no help from Nvidia because they have no such database) is about the only real caveat of using their product, but it's not hard to find the best driver via Googling since SO many people use their product and have already done such trial and error testing.

Both ATI and Nvidia have driver issues at times, but after owning both for several years each, I have found Nvidia to be far more consistent at their new driver versions working right, they're quicker at fixing problems when they don't, their SLI consistently works better than Xfire, their installer is FAR better and does clean installs, their software in general is more stable, quicker to load, and less bloated, and they also have better long term driver support on older GPUs. With my X1950Pro it was relegated to Legacy support only, about a year before I stopped using it.

What really woke me up though was a call I made to ATI HQ in Can back when ALL MoH titles suddenly stopped working when Cat 5.7 was released. It had already been an ongoing issue for weeks, and there was an effective workaround a Rage3D forum member mentioned that people had to use to get by.

When I mentioned it to the ATI tech, he was not only oblivious to the problem, despite it being a pretty big game at the time, he was very snobbishly implying those complaining probably just didn't know how to install the game or the drivers properly, even though I had just told him I used the workaround mentioned on the forum with success.

The ATI driver just wasn't able to open the OpenGL API properly, so you had to extract the OpenGL driver in the game files, and place it in the game directory. On the rare occasion this happens with Nvidia in that game, it means you don't have the latest driver, Google for it. The ATI driver couldn't even do it with the latest version, and the "tech" was not only clueless when I explained that to him, he was persistently arrogant.

A few months later, a few MONTHS mind you, I saw in the ATI driver release notes for their next driver that they had finally recognized a problem with all MoH titles, and were working on a solution. Oh yeah, real good "support" ATI. When random forum searches produce better support than the GPU designers themselves, you know it's pitiful service, esp if you have to put up with attitudes along the way. Sticking with Nvidia, and no regrets.

When I was on my ATI cards I always looked for Omega drivers. They're basically streamlined ATI drivers with bug fixes. Angel "Omegaman" Trinidad was right when he constantly related to how bad ATI's installer is, and what a PITA it was to dig into their drivers each release and find out how many problems they had with them.

There was a short period that he was making Nvidia driver tweaks too, but that was mostly right after they started using SLI, and those problems are pretty much in the past. ATI had big problems right after implementing Xfire too, in fact they still have issues with Xfire.

Last edited by a moderator: