• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Samsung Debuts the Second-Gen Chromebook and the World's First Chromebox

Samsung Electronics America, Inc., a subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd, today announced two new products featuring the Google Chrome OS operating system: the Samsung Series 5 Chromebook laptop and the Samsung Series 3 Chromebox desktop.

"The new Samsung Series 5 Chromebook and Series 3 Chromebox provide the rapid, convenient and ever-improving computing experience that was so well-received in our first Chromebook," said Todd Bouman, vice president of marketing at Samsung Enterprise Business Division. "As the world's first Chromebox, the Series 3 provides users with the Chromebook's ease-of-use in a compact desktop product, which easily integrates with their existing accessories. The second generation Chromebook features powerful components housed in a slim, lightweight body, thanks to Samsung's advanced hardware engineering."

Image courtesy of The Verge.

"This is the next step in our journey toward an always-new computing experience focused on speed, simplicity and security," said Caesar Sengupta, Director of Product Management at Google. "This next-generation hardware from Samsung based on Intel processors and hardware-accelerated software delivers nearly three times the performance of the first-generation Chromebooks. With a new, app-centric user interface rolling out today and thousands of available web apps, we couldn't be more excited about this evolution."

Elegant, Thoughtful Design
Both the Series 5 Chromebook and Series 3 Chromebox feature Samsung's renowned, sleek design identity. Weighing just over three pounds and measuring less than an inch thick, the Series 5 Chromebook can easily be carried everywhere. The full-sized keyboard results in maximum convenience and productivity, and the 12.1-inch, SuperBright LCD screen is ideal for all needs, from viewing photos and work documents to chatting face-to-face using the built-in webcam.

The Samsung Series 3 Chromebox is a compact yet highly powerful home or office computer, offering the Chrome operating system in a desktop form factor. At 7.6 x 7.6 x 1.3-inches, this computer is small enough to put on a desk, in a bookshelf or next to the couch - and is also easy to transport between the home and office if needed. Its sleek matte black finish and silver accents are sure to add style to any home or office environment.

Powerful Performance
The Samsung Series 5 Chromebook boots up in as little as just seven seconds, enabling users to jump into work or play nearly instantly and, unlike traditional computers, doesn't slow down over time. An Intel Celeron 867 Dual Core (1.3 GHz) processor sporting a 16 GB SSD and 4 GB of RAM give you all the computing power you need for an optimal experience and an optional built-in 3G wireless feature from Verizon Wireless allows connectivity to just about anywhere. With the 3G option, Verizon will provide up to 100 MBs per month of Mobile Broadband service included with the device for two years.

Like the Chromebook, the Samsung Series 3 Chromebox also features a 16 GB SSD and 4 GB of RAM, as well as an Intel Celeron B840 Dual Core (1.9 GHz) processor. Built-in 2x2 WLAN Wi-Fi enables users to set up the Chromebox in the furthest corners of their home or office and still experience full connectivity without worrying about extra cables. Users can connect their Series 3 Chromebox to monitors up to 30-inches in size, a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, or even an HDTV using the Display Port output. Users can also effortlessly connect up to six USB devices to upload photos or save files.

Simple, Secure and Ever-Improving User Experience
Google developed the Chrome OS operating system with three key factors in mind: speed, simplicity and security, and has improved on these factors since the launch of the first Chromebook in 2011. Both the Samsung Series 5 Chromebook and Series 3 Chromebox offer a rapid experience. With the Chrome operating system, you can get online in seconds, load web pages with incredible speed and access all of your favorite apps in one click through the app launcher.

Automatic updates mean that Chromebook and Chromebox users always receive the latest functionality, without any hassle. Security features are also built-in and updated to defend against the ongoing threat of malware and viruses, reducing the need for users to install anti-virus software.

Built-in cloud storage enables both Chromebook and Chromebox users to access their files securely from anywhere, and sync technology backs up all of your preferences, bookmarks and apps, so you can easily access them from a Chrome browser on another device.

Both new Samsung products also come equipped for Google Cloud Print for easy web printing to any Samsung Google Cloud Print ready laser printer.

The Samsung Series 5 Chromebook and the Samsung Series 3 Chromebox will be available beginning May 30th. The Series 5 Chromebook Wi-Fi model will retail at $449.99 while the 3G model will retail at $549.99. The Series 3 Chromebox Wi-Fi model will retail at $329.99. The Chromebook and Chromebox are only available at Amazon.com, Tiger.com, NewEgg.com, BestBuy.com and BHPhoto.com.

Key Specs:

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name FragBox
Processor Intel Core i7 2600K @ 5.0GHz/1.45 volts
Motherboard Asus P8Z77 WS
Cooling Custom CPU loop
Memory Kingston 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Galaxy GTX 680/Zotac GTX 680 in SLi/EVGA GTX 650Ti
Storage 2 Vertex 3 120's, raid 0, 2 Seagate Momentus XT 500GB's in raid 0, 1 Hitatchi 2TB for backup
Display(s) 3 Acer S232HLX2 in nvidia surround
Case Corsair C70 White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Win 7 x64 Pro

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
could somebody explain to me why i would want one of these when i can just use chrome on my current windows or linux system?

Isenstaedt

could somebody explain to me why i would want one of these when i can just use chrome on my current windows or linux system?
I believe Chromebooks are much cheaper and simpler, and are primarily designed for web browsing.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
I believe Chromebooks are much cheaper and simpler, and are primarily designed for web browsing.

but is the lower price worth it? for me if it came down to a chromebook or spending an extrat $150 on something with a windows OS i would opt for that.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
If it chromes, we can book it!

(arnold schwarzenegger reference - those of you who arent old enough to undstand what the reference is or who arnold schwarzenegger is then go ask your daddy and ask him wut he does :mad: --- Double reference lol)

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit

Actually from what I remember of the first and even second-gen releases of the Chromebooks, they're just as if not more expensive than a Windows netbook.

Their usefulness really does stump me entirely.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Only good feature of that I can see is a 12.1inch screen. I've liked that size since my old iBook. Rest of this...paperweight it.

Yo_Wattup

System Name Desktop/Gamer/Digital Audio Wokstation ||| HTPC
Processor 2500k @ 4.65ghz ||| AMD A8 @ 3.6ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 with single Blue Antec Tri-Cool 120mm ||| Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 @1900mhz 8-9-9-24 ||| 8GB G.Skill 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) 2x HIS HD6950 2GB Crossfire, 6970 clocks ||| HD6550D
Storage 120GB Intel 320 series SSD + 2TB storage ||| 1TB Seagate
Display(s) 32" Sony Bravia LCD 1080p ||| 50" Hitachi Plasma 1080p
Case Raidmax Raptor modded to 7 fans ||| A compact HP Case
Audio Device(s) Firewire audio interface + two 9" studio monitors, 450 REAL watts ||| onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W ||| generic 400W
Software Win 7 Ultimate + Win 8 consumer preview||| Win 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Never drops below 60fps Battlefield 3 everything on max, fov 90. :D
16gb ssd, so you obviously can't store movies or music on it, so all you can rally do is web browse.... why would one pay so much for web browsing?

Unless its just because its 'cool' to not use windows, like how Mac users think....

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
16gb ssd, so you obviously can't store movies or music on it, so all you can rally do is web browse.... why would one pay so much for web browsing?

Unless its just because its 'cool' to not use windows, like how Mac users think....

actually windows users think it is cool to not use macs because mac users think it's cool to not use windows. both are equally pathetic. /owned.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
actually windows users think it is cool to not use macs because mac users think it's cool to not use windows. both are equally pathetic. /owned.

actually windows users think its cool not to use macs because macs are overpriced and underpowered for the money you pay. mac users think its because its cool not to use windows because they want to be 'different' so for them its more of a fashion statement then anything else. /owned

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
actually windows users think its cool not to use macs because macs are overpriced and underpowered for the money you pay.

clearly those windows users have never used mac products. /owned

System Name FragBox
Processor Intel Core i7 2600K @ 5.0GHz/1.45 volts
Motherboard Asus P8Z77 WS
Cooling Custom CPU loop
Memory Kingston 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Galaxy GTX 680/Zotac GTX 680 in SLi/EVGA GTX 650Ti
Storage 2 Vertex 3 120's, raid 0, 2 Seagate Momentus XT 500GB's in raid 0, 1 Hitatchi 2TB for backup
Display(s) 3 Acer S232HLX2 in nvidia surround
Case Corsair C70 White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Win 7 x64 Pro
It's basically a netbook designed to be connected to the cloud, and you use your 'cloud' to store -everything- on it.

Not for me, I'll pass.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
clearly those windows users have never used mac products. /owned

Clearly they dont want to due to kaspersky's damning report on the amount of security holes that the Mac has more then a tonne of swiss cheese /kapowned

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Clearly they dont want to due to kaspersky's damning report on the amount of security holes that the Mac has more then a tonne of swiss cheese /kapowned

right, because windows has never had its fair share of vulnerabilities. im not arguing one over the other because every OS has its own niche it is going to cater too. what i am saying is arguing that one is more lame than another is stupid and makes you lame. you fell right into it without even knowing it and thus you are lame. :nutkick: /thread

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
right, because windows has never had its fair share of vulnerabilities. im not arguing one over the other because every OS has its own niche it is going to cater too. what i am saying is arguing that one is more lame than another is stupid and makes you lame. you fell right into it without even knowing it and thus you are lame. :nutkick: /thread

Ive used it, Ive seen it, Ive made music on it. however its not the best for my money. take a look at some of the mac books - the basic macbook pro is around £900-1000 here, for the same price you can get your self a really great midrange gaming laptop with more grunt under the hood or you are close enough to get a higher end one if you pay just a little bit more.

If they priced it more fairly other then oh its got the apple logo on it, lets slap a $300 extra ontop then doesnt it become more about looks then substance?

Its about the brand name, but i will never switch over to a mac nor will i own one and if given one for free id probably sell it and get myself a gaming laptop lol.

/thread

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Ive used it, Ive seen it, Ive made music on it. however its not the best for my money. take a look at some of the mac books - the basic macbook pro is around £900-1000 here, for the same price you can get your self a really great midrange gaming laptop with more grunt under the hood or you are close enough to get a higher end one if you pay just a little bit more.

If they priced it more fairly other then oh its got the apple logo on it, lets slap a $300 extra ontop then doesnt it become more about looks then substance?

Its about the brand name, but i will never switch over to a mac nor will i own one and if given one for free id probably sell it and get myself a gaming laptop lol.

/thread

wait, what was this thread about again?

Yo_Wattup

System Name Desktop/Gamer/Digital Audio Wokstation ||| HTPC
Processor 2500k @ 4.65ghz ||| AMD A8 @ 3.6ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 with single Blue Antec Tri-Cool 120mm ||| Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 @1900mhz 8-9-9-24 ||| 8GB G.Skill 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) 2x HIS HD6950 2GB Crossfire, 6970 clocks ||| HD6550D
Storage 120GB Intel 320 series SSD + 2TB storage ||| 1TB Seagate
Display(s) 32" Sony Bravia LCD 1080p ||| 50" Hitachi Plasma 1080p
Case Raidmax Raptor modded to 7 fans ||| A compact HP Case
Audio Device(s) Firewire audio interface + two 9" studio monitors, 450 REAL watts ||| onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W ||| generic 400W
Software Win 7 Ultimate + Win 8 consumer preview||| Win 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Never drops below 60fps Battlefield 3 everything on max, fov 90. :D

Windows users know its sensible to use windows, Mac users think its cool to use Mac. Big difference.