• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Shows off A85XA-G65 Socket FM2 Motherboard

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
MSI showed off its top socket FM2 motherboard, the A85XA-G65. Based on the AMD A85 FCH chipset, the board supports upcoming AMD "Trinity" APUs in the FM2 package. MSI designed the A85XA-G65 with its Military Class III construction. The FM2 APU is powered by an 8-phase VRM. It is wired to four DDR3 DIMM slots, supporting dual-channel DDR3-1866 MHz memory; and two PCI-Express 2.0 x16 slots (x8/x8, when both are populated). Given that it supports both NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFire, it's a little strange that MSI didn't name this model "A85XA-GD65." Other expansion slots include three PCI-Express 2.0 x1 and two legacy PCI.

All eight SATA 6 Gb/s ports from the A85 FCH are wired out as internal ports, with no eSATA. Display outputs include one each of DVI, D-Sub, HDMI, and DisplayPort. Other connectivity options include four USB 3.0 ports, gigabit Ethernet, and 8+2 channel HD audio. The A85XA-G65 features quite a few OC-friendly features, including voltage-measurement points with lead-holders, OC Genie, ClickBIOS II UEFI BIOS, etc. It will be among MSI's first socket FM2 motherboards to be launched, a little later this quarter.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Ahhh about time we get to see an APU combined with SLI capability......

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
and still no sign of trinity,....

Ahhh about time we get to see an APU combined with SLI capability......

whaaat? what is the point? while its good to have the freedom of being able to use anything it makes no sense to pay extra for an apu quad core when u can get a fx quad core for much cheaper

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
whaaat? what is the point?

Flexibility. What is your point? That you feel as though that maybe your FX processor wouldn't stand a chance at multi gpu scaling if against a "little" APU? Where's the link to your cheap FX cpu? FX Quad core you say?

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
While SLI is nice, I still question the reason. If you are buying an APU, you aren't necessarily buying it for the CPU. It isn't like Intel CPUs were you can buy a combo CPU just for the CPU. You do have a dual graphics option on APUs with Crossfire.

And yeah...still no sign of Trinity here yet.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
mmm... a full ATX FM2 board... who buys these things?

ITX sure, mATX, why not? full ATX? :banghead:

Flexibility. What is your point? That you feel as though that maybe your FX processor wouldn't stand a chance at multi gpu scaling if against a "little" APU? Where's the link to your cheap FX cpu? FX Quad core you say?

Well at the moment lano and fx use different architectures, but u sure can get a quad core Phenom ii that is clocked higher than an a8 for cheaper or at least the same price but it performs better,especially the 970 and 980. Oh and did I mention Intel lol, a CPU priced similar to the apu has better CPU power,amds selling point on these is graphics
My point was buying an apu is for its integrated graphics therefore even getting a crossfire system is kinda pointless because ur better off investing in am3+ system or an Intel if that's the case that way u won't be paying extra for features u won't be using, and by crossfire I mean 2 discrete and gpus not dual graphics.
Tho I agree with the flexibility argument, but I won't invest into such a setup intentionally

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
Are you from the future sergion? I have a really good feeling that the new stuff based on FM* sockets are going to have a better IPC/IMC, making SLI/Crossfire capable boards based off of them more worthwhile. Just throwing this out to you, sorry if you feel as though I am arguing. I don't argue. You're obviously just reading out of context wrong or flamebaiting.

Are you from the future sergion? I have a really good feeling that the new stuff based on FM* sockets are going to have a better IPC/IMC, making SLI/Crossfire capable boards based off of them more worthwhile. Just throwing this out to you, sorry if you feel as though I am arguing. I don't argue. You're obviously just reading out of context wrong or flamebaiting.

yes they will sure be faster than lets say a phenom II or a bulldozer but amd will be releasing the FX series based on the piledriver cores with AM* chipset that dont include integrated graphics

i was talking about llano in my previous post as you now pay 130$ or something for a quad core llano, when u can pay 100 for a quad core phenom II or even a 6 core phenom II (clocked at 3.0ghz just like llano)
and llano cores are based on the same cores as phenom II so higher clockspeed = better performance and more cores also = better performance
i didnt mention the quad core bulldozers as some people might not like these chips
but at micro center you can a 6core bulldozer for 120 dollars, still cheaper than the llano apu's and overclock much better so even though ipc is lower the clock speed might make it up

http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html

now do you see my point?
why pay extra for the onboard graphics when you will not use it?
though its important to note that AM* piledrivers will come months after trinity and the FM2 platform, so yes within that period your argument is valid and trinity apus might offer the best cpu performance from AMD.

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
I understood what you were saying from the get-go, Llano still has a stronger IMC than Phenom II lineup.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Nice layout board there. Only thing I can wish when using SLI (or even CF) along with an APU is to turn off Add-on cards while not gaming and CF APU when using an compatible AMD card. Turning off Add-on cards will save few more watts at idle.

I understood what you were saying from the get-go, Llano still has a stronger IMC than Phenom II lineup.

IMC=integrated memory controller right?
if thats what you mean well lets just say that extra bandwidth is to feed the gpu and doesnt affect the cpu performance, remember phenom II has L3 cache but llano doesnt
however over all the llano in some cases was like 7% faster clock-clock than phenom II which isnt anything to be mentioned

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
Yup yet again you misread what I said above. Was never talking about core clock performance, because any current gen CPU that is clocked at 3ghz+ is enough for gaming. Was speaking totally from an imc bandwidth perspective.

@7%

I'm looking too. Link me if you can find a review that did a crossfire/sli config with Llano.

Yup yet again you misread what I said above. Was never talking about core clock performance, because any current gen CPU that is clocked at 3ghz+ is enough for gaming. Was speaking totally from an imc bandwidth perspective.

@7%

I'm looking too. Link me if you can find a review that did a crossfire/sli config with Llano.

and what difference will the imc do? I still fail to see how that is relevant and why it should be a deciding point? I'm guessing you mean PCI e lanes like 16x 16x or 8x 8x?
Because if so then again the desktop am3+ platform has more PCI e lanes than fm2/fm1 therefore lets you crossfire sli with multiple cards running at 16x each(that's on 990fx chipset) while in fm2 you get a max of 24lanes with 16x on one and 8x on the other or 8x 8x 8x I'm not aware on how different vendors will use such configurations but in general my point is if that is your concern then know that am3+ has the edge there
As for IMC that has to do with cpu connectivity with the ram and between phenom II and llano is a huge improvement but is only to feed the gpu and doesn't affect over all performance

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
and what difference will the imc do?

Here, take this in comparison ....
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...core-i5-2400-lga1155-processors-review-2.html

It has been said that the Sandy Bridge lineup has the strongest IMC. Difference between 16x and 8x 2.0 would be very very minimal loss (not exactly what I was trying to mention). Also I understand the A8-3850 is near the bottom, but at this time I cannot find any benchmarks/reviews of current fm1 chips that was paired with 2 dedicated cards for multi gpu to show how it stacks up against everything else.

Here, take this in comparison ....
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...core-i5-2400-lga1155-processors-review-2.html

It has been said that the Sandy Bridge lineup has the strongest IMC. Difference between 16x and 8x 2.0 would be very very minimal loss (not exactly what I was trying to mention). Also I understand the A8-3850 is near the bottom, but at this time I cannot find any benchmarks/reviews of current fm1 chips that was paired with 2 dedicated cards for multi gpu to show how it stacks up against everything else.

yes Intel by far has the best IMC and the best cache subsystem
However all these factors shouldn't be compared as a deciding factor because each architecture is different. For example the bulldozer/piledriver architecture have higher cache latencies than phenom or sandy bridge because the architecture was designed for higher frequency throughput. Had it been that everything was faster with lower latencies and short integer pipelines then the shared resources would not be able to feed two integer cores with acceptable scaling and the cores would have shorter cycles but will be starved when both are running. Offcourse the architecture can still be fine tuned which is what amd has been doing