• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Awful WC temperatures

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
500 liters per hour from the pump = 528.344105 quarts = 132.086026 Gallons / 60 minutes = 2.20143377 Gallon Per minute

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
No offense Pantherx12, but that Thermaltake shit your running is just that shit!

Trust me I've played around enough with water cooling to know where most problems lay.

Your hose is fine, block too, but dump the pump and radiator... also for that cpu your using the temps are pretty close to being where they should be... that amd cpu is a heater to say the least.

If money is a factor in upgrading then move the radiator outside of the case, it will perform way better... 8-10c lower temps if I remember rite.

*edit* look at the output fitting coming from the pump... I betcha it's smaller inside then it looks like outside..
Mine was and I ended up drilling it out to match the OID... it helped but not that much.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Thanks everyone i'll take everything into consideration.

Looks like a new pump and radiator it is!

@fullinfusion the thing is, my TT Silver arrow actually performed better than this set up.

I ran another stress test earlier and stopped because it got to 63c after 5 iterations of intelburntest (out of 10 default testing) It works fine for awhile and can keep the cpu under 50 degrees then after 2 iterations things heat up very quickly.

I'm guessing this set up is getting heat soaked.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Thanks everyone i'll take everything into consideration.

Looks like a new pump and radiator it is!

@fullinfusion the thing is, my TT Silver arrow actually performed better than this set up.

I ran another stress test earlier and stopped because it got to 63c after 5 iterations of intelburntest (out of 10 default testing) It works fine for awhile and can keep the cpu under 50 degrees then after 2 iterations things heat up very quickly.

I'm guessing this set up is getting heat soaked.
Yup it is and thats why I sugessted to move the rad outside of the case till you upgrade.

I run a 2x120 rad in my Corsair 650D case... The cases rear fan is reversed and pushing cool air into the case... the front case fan is also blowing cooler air in and both radaitor fans are sucking the case heat into the rad and out the top... This combo is keeping higher case pressure up and thus keeps dust down to a min aswell as temperature to a min :)

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
I have three 120's pulling air into my radiator and pressuring my case, as well blowing across all passively cooled components.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Here is my out side temps.... The 1st pic is the tempature of the cases vent blowing all day onto the temperature reader..

Inside the case under the exact same conditions.... here's the difference one hour later.... Point .3C higher :cool:

that's with changing the fans orientation... :pimp:

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
Right need to think of a way to mount everything outside the case now XD

Any suggestions for a Armor LCS? I've got a dremel so making it fit isn't a problem : ]

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
Bump , rather do this than create a new thread.

So I got one of these for super cheap http://www.overclockers.com/wp-cont...ries/articles/CoolingKing_Radiator/coolk4.jpg so hopefully it can do better than thermaltakes radiator.

I've also got a 150cfm delta fan with a 4 pin header to attach to the radiator.

Only problem it's WAY to loud, even with quiet cpu fan enabled in bios it still spins up way to fast way to early. ( 30 degrees, 70% fan speed)

Is there any way of adjusting the fan profile some how?

Can't use fan controller, it doesn't have enough watts to power the fan properly :laugh:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
What you need is a larger rad (3x 120mm), a better pump and Gentle Typhoon fans.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
What you need is a larger rad (3x 120mm), a better pump and Gentle Typhoon fans.

Cheers but a couple of things.

I can't afford a triple radiator :laugh: I can't even afford a dual radiator, I managed to get that 100mm thick copper 120 rad for it's scrap cost. :)

I've got gentle typhoons, how ever I also have Deltas, Deltas make Gentle Typhoons seem like silly toys :laugh:

( When both at 50 cfm the Deltas are quieter push more air and have a lot more pressure)

System Name GameRig / Server
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D / Threadripper 2920X
Motherboard ROG Strix X570-E / ROG Zenith Extreme
Cooling Dual OCCOOL 360 XT45 / Single EK 360 KIT
Memory Trident Z 16GB / Trident Z 32GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 / Quadro P2000
Storage WD Black SN770 2TB / WD Re 12TB SAS
Display(s) LG 34" UltraWide 34GN850-B / Samsung CF391
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D / 700
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i / HX850
Software Win11Pro x64 / Vmware vSphere
Benchmark Scores 420 6969.....
System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
Does anyone have any idea how this will perform compared to 30x120x240mm aluminum rad?

It's 130mm x 115mm x 195mm and will have two 70cfm high pressure fans strapped to it, or one 150cfm high pressure fan.

Technically it has 3 times the surface area but how does that translate into performance D:

Last edited:

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I had one of those XSPC fat f*cks. Cooled well for a 120x2 but a lot harder to "work with".

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
Cheers but a couple of things.

I can't afford a triple radiator :laugh: I can't even afford a dual radiator, I managed to get that 100mm thick copper 120 rad for it's scrap cost. :)

I've got gentle typhoons, how ever I also have Deltas, Deltas make Gentle Typhoons seem like silly toys :laugh:

( When both at 50 cfm the Deltas are quieter push more air and have a lot more pressure)

I wouldn't call the Gentle Typhoons 'toys' They are some of the very best sp fans on the market. I run the 1850's and they keep my rad nice and cool. of course I have money to buy proper kit though. :laugh: Not only do they work extremely well but they are silent or as close to silent as I've heard.

I've owned many Deltas over the years and 'quiet' is not usually a word used to describe them.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Does anyone have any idea how this will perform compared to 30x120x240mm aluminum rad?

http://www.modthebox.com/reviews/wayvet/coolingking/coolking13.jpg

http://www.modthebox.com/reviews/wayvet/coolingking/coolking16.jpg

It's 130mm x 115mm x 195mm and will have two 70cfm high pressure fans strapped to it, or one 150cfm high pressure fan.

Technically it has 3 times the surface area but how does that translate into performance D:
Shit if I had That rad It would be sitting in a camping cooler full of ice n water and my pond pump swirling the ice water around to cool the rad's water :D

And 3 times the surface = 3 times better heat transfer :respect:

Also It having Copper coils are way better then Aluminum :p

*edit* we changed our late model's aluminum triple core rad out for an all copper triple core and cooling down 700Hp was not an issue even when it was 100f outside...

Copper is a win win in any type of cooling

Last edited:

monohouse

Gentle Typhoon is definitely the way to go when it comes to fans, my personal favorite is the 1850 RPM model
regardless of how many fans you have, more radiators/bigger radiators will always help
push/pull (fans on either side of the radiator) may not be very efficient or pretty, but it also helps

Thermaltake sucks, but not in the sense that you would expect, true it isn't the best when it comes to performance, but it's performance is not as bad as some people would have you believe, the problem in your case is the cooling capacity of the cooling system being insufficient, I personally have little to say bad about the performance of the Thermaltake cooling system, in my opinion it's flaws lie in the design, not in the performance (mixed metals (corrosion), acrylic blocks (cracks), high-resistance radiators killing flow (10-pass)), what's important, when it comes to dealing with Thermaltake water cooling systems, is to avoid mixing professional water cooling components with Thermaltake components so that you don't destroy your expensive water cooling components because of corrosion from other metals in the Thermaltake system.

+1 to the guy that said radiator place inside the case is not a good place, I placed my radiator on the window, where the air is fresh, it was magic for my temperatures (and for the noise levels)

and don't forget that water cooling is just a more efficient way to transfer heat, and as a result it makes the water cooling system hotter. there is always a limit to what water can do, it's possible that in some cases it can be insufficient to handle the amount of heat that you are putting on it

one more thing: tubing size is completely out of the equation (it has no effect on cooling performance at all)

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Gentle Typhoon is definitely the way to go when it comes to fans, my personal favorite is the 1850 RPM model
regardless of how many fans you have, more radiators/bigger radiators will always help
push/pull (fans on either side of the radiator) may not be very efficient or pretty, but it also helps

Thermaltake sucks, but not in the sense that you would expect, true it isn't the best when it comes to performance, but it's performance is not as bad as some people would have you believe, the problem in your case is the cooling capacity of the cooling system being insufficient, I personally have little to say bad about the performance of the Thermaltake cooling system, in my opinion it's flaws lie in the design, not in the performance (mixed metals (corrosion), acrylic blocks (cracks), high-resistance radiators killing flow (10-pass)), what's important, when it comes to dealing with Thermaltake water cooling systems, is to avoid mixing professional water cooling components with Thermaltake components so that you don't destroy your expensive water cooling components because of corrosion from other metals in the Thermaltake system.

+1 to the guy that said radiator place inside the case is not a good place, I placed my radiator on the window, where the air is fresh, it was magic for my temperatures (and for the noise levels)

and don't forget that water cooling is just a more efficient way to transfer heat, and as a result it makes the water cooling system hotter. there is always a limit to what water can do, it's possible that in some cases it can be insufficient to handle the amount of heat that you are putting on it

one more thing: tubing size is completely out of the equation (it has no effect on cooling performance at all)

1850Rpm radiator cooling fan? Dam that must be loud...

Id Highly recommend a pair of Noctua NF-F12's :pimp:

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
I wouldn't call the Gentle Typhoons 'toys' They are some of the very best sp fans on the market. I run the 1850's and they keep my rad nice and cool. of course I have money to buy proper kit though. :laugh: Not only do they work extremely well but they are silent or as close to silent as I've heard.

I've owned many Deltas over the years and 'quiet' is not usually a word used to describe them.

In the same RPM range I find the Deltas I have to be of around the same volume as GT, although the gts have a fan pitch that my ears pick up on more.

@ 1000 rpm all these deltas are dead silent ( well cept the bad boy 3900rpm one, that one clicks at rpms less than 1700rpm)

I'm really looking forward to getting this fitted, even if it doesn't improve temperatures of the CPU my case temperatures will be far better so I can have my gpu @ 1250mhz and ram @ 1800 again : ]

Thanks to everyone being so helpful, I'll keep the thread open as I'll likely need more help!

Like I really need to find a away to get better control out of my motherboard 4pin header, it's the only thing I have with enough wattage to power the 3900rpm fan.

Last edited:

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Yeah and let me know if you still need any old gear.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
Right got it all installed ( looks pretty cool by the way!) had to install pump and reservoir outside of the case due to not having enough tubing XD

Now the important bit, performance has not improved at all ( or got worse for that matter) ( radiator is cool to touch as well so it's not having a problem dissipating the heat)

As I was filling the loop I noticed that the water was barely moving when it was heading to the cpu block, once it got to the cpu block it stopped for about 5 minutes before working its way through then it took 5 minutes to fill the pipe from the block to the rad!

It has to be the pump then, I didn't imagine a piece of kit could be this under powered!

Also I really need to find a way to adjust PWM fan curve because at the moment it ramps in a linear fashion so you can hear it constantly adjusting also it goes way to fast at low temperatures.

Last edited:

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I am running the same gear(Kandalf L.C.S.) only difference is it has a 3x120 rad. I too have changed out the block for an AC Kryos. My idle is 30C and under extreme load 65C.