• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

getting too much BSOD !? whats causing it ?

System Name Main system
Processor Intel Core-i7 4790K @4.5
Motherboard Asus Z97-Pro Gamer
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 32 Gig (16 GigADATA XPG V2 DDR3 2400 + 16 Gig Geil Evo Veloce DDR3 1600 CL11)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming
Storage Western Digital Blue Cavier 500 and 1 Terabyte + 1 Terabyte Green Cavier + Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500G
Display(s) ASUS ML238 LED Monitor
Case Green Viper X3
Audio Device(s) Onboard-Realtek
Power Supply Green 700watt (Its a rebranded psu from highpower/kolink I guess)
Software Windows 10 /Ubuntu 16.04
Hello All .
recently one of my friends faced multiple BSODs, periodically ! he describes it as sth like this :
he said:
" my system was fairly stable , (and was running for 3 month(24/7) ) with out any kind of problem , untill a day i suddenly
heard a tick! sound from harddisk and then it was followed by a BSOD screen! i restarted and then resumed my work , unsure of what the cause was!
didnt any pay more attention till it happened again ! so i decided to reinstall Windows and everything else along with it, so i started with full formatting of my drive C and installed a fresh windows Os.
then again after couple of hours , when i came back home and went to my PC , i heard that tick sound! and then BSOD appeared again ,and the system restarted automatically ! this time system couldnt boot up windows!
and windows couldnot detect installation partition , so i used another hard-disk of mine which had Windows xp installed on it , and booted up .
when i entered the windows , i noticed all of my faulty?! HDD drives are fine except the first Partition , Drive C ,! which was reported , as a completely free partition as if it didnt contain any files on it! i couldnt enter it though! unlike the other partitions!
i had the same problem with my laptop, . i had all of antivirus and anti malwares updated and running and the whole stuff happened when i tried to clean(disinfect) one of my friends hdd from viruses. ( i dont think its virus , because i reformatted my drive C!)

any way what is the cause , and how can i help him ?
is his harddisk drive faulty?
Thank you all in advance

System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D delid
Motherboard Asus X670E Hero
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU, GPU, 2x 360 rads, and 1x 280 rad with Arctic P12 and P14 ARGB fans
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) Samsung 57"
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
I'd grab UBCD, burn iso to CD, and test the ram and HD.

System Name Main system
Processor Intel Core-i7 4790K @4.5
Motherboard Asus Z97-Pro Gamer
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 32 Gig (16 GigADATA XPG V2 DDR3 2400 + 16 Gig Geil Evo Veloce DDR3 1600 CL11)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming
Storage Western Digital Blue Cavier 500 and 1 Terabyte + 1 Terabyte Green Cavier + Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500G
Display(s) ASUS ML238 LED Monitor
Case Green Viper X3
Audio Device(s) Onboard-Realtek
Power Supply Green 700watt (Its a rebranded psu from highpower/kolink I guess)
Software Windows 10 /Ubuntu 16.04
I'd grab UBCD, burn iso to CD, and test the ram and HD.
i forgot to mention this , he checked the hard disk using HDTUNE to see if there is any kind of bad sector ,
and i just talked to him on the phone , he said that : 24 hours after he scanned his friends hard-disk drive , his system hanged completely and he had to restart physically(pushing the reset button on the case!) , after that since he was afraid of virus infection , he reformatted the drive C and installed a fresh copy of windows , installed everything he needed and updated his security softwares !
it was fine for the past week! till today , and the rest of the story happened!
-and one more thing , he said that he hot plugged his sata hdd , could this cause this problem ?

Last edited:

lindy

System Name Infernal Contraption
Processor AMD FX 8150
Motherboard Gigabyte 990XA-UD3
Cooling Antec Kuhler H20 620
Memory 16 gig. Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600 LP
Video Card(s) Galaxy/Nvidia GTX 560 2gb
Storage OCZ 60g. SSD/Seagate 2Tb. 7200rpm
Display(s) Asus
Case Lian Li PC-60FN
Audio Device(s) Onboard HD
Power Supply Seasonic X750
Software Win. 7 Ult. 64/ SUSE 12.1 64
De-cyphering the hex from the bluescreen would go a long way toward fixing the problem.
Example:

Your friend can use a program like Bluescreenview to read the dump.

System Name littlet
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) ZAKU II EDITION
Cooling EK AIO Basic 240
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4X16GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) RTX™ A2000 12GB
Storage C: WD_BLACK SN850 1TB
Display(s) ViewSonic VX3276-2K-mhd
Case ASUS Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II
Power Supply Corsair SF 600
Software Windows
generally if a hard drive is ticking away its letting u know its getting 2 old for the job
a loud ticking sound is different from the ticking sound when its reading data
when its loud the sound is constant and generally at 1 point on the drive and can cause a bsod or cause the system to hang and reboot if its on the c drive
testing with various software for bad sectors does not always report the problem
if its happening constantly then consider a replacement
formatting can correct the problem but usually its a temporary solution
when data is written to that particular sector and it needs to be read u will experience the same conditions u have encountered already
i have experienced many drive failures and there's no common cause like life it happens
a notice from the drive that its days are numbered is a audible tick much like the sound of the second hand moving on a clock except its stopping at the same place repeatedly causing a lock up
good luck 2 ur friend and suspecting its a virus is premature although not unlikely