• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help recovering from bad video flash

ThatOneGuy123321

Hello, I need a little bit of help recovering from a bad video bios flash.

I have a sapphire x800gto that i need to re-flash with the stock bios, however my motherboard doesn't have onboard video, and no matter what i do, i cannot get a pci video card to boot as the primary display adapter while an agp video card is plugged into the motherboard at the same time.

the pci video card will boot fine without the agp card plugged in. But when i try with the agp card in also, nothing happens.

Obviously, I switched the primary display adapter to pci slot in the bios but that doesn't seem to help. i'm wondering if maybe there is a jumper for it on my mobo but i'm not certain.

Anyone else ever have this issue when trying to recover from a bad video bios flash?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated, i really would rather not throw this perfectly decent card out the window (only got it two months ago)

System specs are as follows:

MSI K8n Neo2 Platinum (bios 1.c)
AMD Opteron 170
2 x 512 PQI Turbo ddr400
Sapphire x800gto
500watt Antec Powersupply

everything is running at stock speeds at the moment....

Thanks in advance.

SlipSlice

Processor AMD ATHLON 64 SAN DIEGO 3700@2.42GHZ
Motherboard ASUS A8N5X
Cooling 1X80MM CASE FAN, 1X80MM CPU FAN, 2X120MM FANS(ONE TAKING AIR OUT..OTHER FOR HARDDRIVE
Memory 1.5 GIG, DDR400 CORSAIR
Video Card(s) eVGA 7900GS KO
Storage 160GIG WESTERN DIGITAL 7200RPM
Display(s) Acer 22' Widescreen
Case ROSEWILL CASE 5600 SERIES..2 BLUE LED CASE FANS
Audio Device(s) SOUND BLASTER LIVE 24 BIT!
Power Supply SPARKLE 400 WATT
Software WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION..its gr8/LOTS OF GAMES
Hello, I need a little bit of help recovering from a bad video bios flash.

I have a sapphire x800gto that i need to re-flash with the stock bios, however my motherboard doesn't have onboard video, and no matter what i do, i cannot get a pci video card to boot as the primary display adapter while an agp video card is plugged into the motherboard at the same time.

the pci video card will boot fine without the agp card plugged in. But when i try with the agp card in also, nothing happens.

Obviously, I switched the primary display adapter to pci slot in the bios but that doesn't seem to help. i'm wondering if maybe there is a jumper for it on my mobo but i'm not certain.

Anyone else ever have this issue when trying to recover from a bad video bios flash?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated, i really would rather not throw this perfectly decent card out the window (only got it two months ago)

System specs are as follows:

MSI K8n Neo2 Platinum (bios 1.c)
AMD Opteron 170
2 x 512 PQI Turbo ddr400
Sapphire x800gto
500watt Antec Powersupply

everything is running at stock speeds at the moment....

Thanks in advance.

Well, about 6 months ago, (the reason i joined Tech Power Up), I did the same thing you did. But I did it with a Radeon 9550. I had flashed my 9550 like 4 times, and i knew what i was doing. but one day i got cocky and was just messing around flashing it to different speeds of the 9600. I took it to fast, and downloaded and ran the right bios, but the memory speed wasn't the same. Hince that is why it was fried.

But to get to what you are talking about.. Yes, I tryed the same thing, and it did not work. Tryed keeping PCI card as primary video adaptar but it would work when the 9550 was plugged in.. I know exactly what you are talking about. I never got it to work neither..tryed million of different combinations. The good thing was about the card, I still was covered under warranty, so I just got another one, and said that one corrupted. :)

Maybe that is what you should do.. Becaue unless you run into a miracle, you card is done.

im sry to say though.
PS> I hope you are still under warranty. Being it is only 2 months, im sure you will have it at most likely anywhere unlesss you bought it used to on ebay.

S1iP

noneed4me2

System Name TheloneFrakker..;)
Processor Q6600 GO FSB333@3.04ghz
Motherboard Asus P5E3 Deluxe Wifi
Cooling Stock for now
Memory 2x1gb/Gskill DDR3 1333@9,9,9,24 1t
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD2900XT
Storage Seagate Barrucuda 7200.11 500gb SATAII 32mb cache
Display(s) Sceptre xw20g Naga 20.1"
Case Thermaltake Bach VX w/Side window
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Hiper 580w Modular
Software XP Pro/Vista Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores None yet, coming soon...
do a search "bad bios flash" in the video card forum, I am not sure the exact steps but it could be your missing something in the process and others might have had similar problems and their resolutions could help you. Good luck.

ThatOneGuy123321

Your PCI VGA will newer boot if the AGP card is pluged and is flashed with "wrong" BIOS type (AGP flashed with PCI-E BIOS and vice versa).

You can fix it like that: http://reference.techpowerup.com/Fixing_a_completely_gone_wrong_ATI_BIOS_flash just use PCI videocard or integrated in the MOBO to boot. Don't forget that when you boot from PCI VGA you should flash adapter 1 (your AGP) not adapter 0 (your PCI card).

*winces* yeah i saw that article and was really hoping i wouldn't have to resort to soldering circuits as i have never done that in the past. I'm probably just going to buy a pci-express video card (i have a asrock 939 dual sata2 i was planning on using as my upgrade path anyways, so i'll just swap that and a pci-express video card into my box.) Even if i ever do buy some soldering equiptment it'll be forever and a day before i get around to trying to do it myself.

anyone here with the technical expertise want to buy an otherwise perfectly good x800gto and solder it themselves? Or better yet, would anyone here be willing to accept payment to fix mine? I have really shakey hands and doubt i could successfully apply this fix.