• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zombie Survival MMO 'The War Z' Announced

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I must say I am excited. So someone took day Z and decided to make it a full fledged game I take it?

And maybe it could be a MMOFPSRPG?

Or something along the playstyle of Fallout 3/NV in an MMO environment minus VATS or the like?

Fallout's VATS feature prompted me to uninstall around 1 hour into the game. I couldn't stand how it dumbed down the shooting aspect. What a pity, that was the first time I was attempting to start playing that series.

Anyways, this game has some potential since it is providing a new genre. The whole zombie theme seems to have grown quite a bit over the last decade. Having said that, I won't be playing it.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Fallout's VATS feature prompted me to uninstall around 1 hour into the game. I couldn't stand how it dumbed down the shooting aspect. What a pity, that was the first time I was attempting to start playing that series.

Anyways, this game has some potential since it is providing a new genre. The whole zombie theme seems to have grown quite a bit over the last decade. Having said that, I won't be playing it.

Protip : It doesn't dumb down the game.

Vats critical hits are not as effective.

I'm not quite 100% certain on this, but if you fired a shotgun manually each piece of shot has a critical hit chance. Potentially making you do five times the damage.

In vats only one shot will have critical.

There's other ins and outs to it as well but essentially if your a good shot NEVER using vats is far far more effective.

( I.E the game developers reward skilled players who prefer to aim manually though)

Benetanegia

You are correct about shotguns, but for all other weapons (except alien gun and Lincoln rifle iirc) critical damage is the same. And in VATS you have 15% extra critical chance.

However it's best NOT use VATS if you are skilled and there's certainly no need to use it at all. Weapons degrade 4x faster when on VATS too.

But really, uninstalling the game because of vats is the most stupid thing I've heard this month. Really? There's a feature you have to use voluntarily and you decide to scrap the entire game because it suposedly dumbs it down, instead of simply stop using it. :laugh: now that's a waste of money... (well I might be assuming too much here)

OT: The game sounds semi-interesting. DayZ interests me a little, but many things put me off. First is that I sold my ARMA II, because I got bored of it. Buying it again + expansion, only for a mod == no. And it sounds like too hardcore to play several times. I don't generally like coop play and after the first few times you die, it looks like playing with a community is the only thing left. In this case the copycat seems more interesting to me.

Last edited:

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
However it's best NOT use VATS if you are skilled and there's certainly no need to use it at all.

But really, uninstalling the game because of vats is the most stupid thing I've heard this month. Really? There's a feature you have to use voluntarily and you decide to scrap the entire game because it supposedly dumbs it down, instead of simply stop using it. :laugh: now that's a waste of money... (well I might be assuming too much here)

Have people always been able to disable VATS? I do not remember seeing that option or I would have disabled and and continued playing.

I play all games on their hardest setting at first go. If I didn't see the option to disable it (provided that there was one when the game first came out), then the game would feel dumbed down, now wouldn't it?

You assume too much. How nice of you to assume... Blah, it doesn't matter. Back on topic.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
I agree. What gfx engine is this, it looks subpar.
Looks like the same engine they made prototype on. Looks as shitty as prototype anyway.
Have people always been able to disable VATS? I do not remember seeing that option or I would have disabled and and continued playing.

I play all games on their hardest setting at first go. If I didn't see the option to disable it (provided that there was one when the game first came out), then the game would feel dumbed down, now wouldn't it?

You assume too much. How nice of you to assume... Blah, it doesn't matter. Back on topic.

To disable VATS you don't press the VATS button. :toast:

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
To disable VATS you don't press the VATS button. :toast:

Negligence on my part for not spending enough time with the game to fully figure out the interface. Thanks Panther for not resulting to a personal attack. :slap:

I still maintain that VATS dumbs down the game though, being an optional feature, that enables others that can't aim as well to land their shots. :toast:

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Negligence on my part for not spending enough time with the game to fully figure out the interface. Thanks Panther for not resulting to a personal attack. :slap:

I still maintain that VATS dumbs down the game though, being an optional feature, that enables others that can't aim as well to land their shots. :toast:

I only ever used it when I got myself in trouble(rushed by multiple enemies) Was a bit of a safety net for emergencies, rarely helped...

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
I only ever used it when I got myself in trouble(rushed by multiple enemies) Was a bit of a safety net for emergencies, rarely helped...

Yeah, it just felt like an aimbot to me. Is that the first Fallout game that they implemented it?

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Yeah, it just felt like an aimbot to me. Is that the first Fallout game that they implemented it?

It was in 3 and Vegas

Reactions: Fx

Benetanegia

Like it's been said, YOU have to trigger VATS by using it's assigned hotkey, hence why I said it's stupid what you said, and I still mantain that it is stupid to desinstall the game for that reason, so take it as you want. Like said if you didn't like VATS, th only thing you had to do was to avoid pressing the VATS button? That's the only reason I say is stupid. I can't think of how you can come up to the conclusion you came up with while actually playing the game.

I'm being harsh, I know, but it's because I hear so many stupid things like that that I just lost any touch when dealing with such claims. These are some things I've been told as reasons to uninstall and bash some good and sometimes amazing games:

- Had someone tell me a similar thing about Crysis and invisibility/camo "it makes it far too easy". Or Crysis 2 seeing bullet trayectories and such. The latter I don't know exactly if it breaks the game at all, because since I knew I wouldn't like those things I NEVER upgraded the nanosuit and avoided any posible dumbing down.

- Skyrim/Morrowind: "You can stack potions/enchantments and then make overpowered enchantments and weapons/armor. It breaks the game so I uninstalled that shit." You can stack potions and enchanments indeed, just don't do it perhaps?

- HL2: "You can literally kill almost everything with the gravity gun and some heavy prop. It's nice at first but boring after 30 mins. So I uninstaleed that POS". Really? I can think off few games with a wider and more complete and satisfying array of different weapons...

EDIT: And when I said I might be assuming too much, I was just talking about you actually paying for the game. I just can't really think anyone would simply throw money like that, after just 1 hour of gameplay, for such an stupid reason.

Last edited:

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
Like it's been said, YOU have to trigger VATS by using it's assigned hotkey, hence why I said it's stupid what you said, and I still mantain that it is stupid to desinstall the game for that reason, so take it as you want. Like said if you didn't like VATS, th only thing you had to do was to avoid pressing the VATS button? That's the only reason I say is stupid. I can't think of how you can come up to the conclusion you came up with while actually playing the game.

I'm being harsh, I know, but it's because I hear so many stupid things like that that I just lost any touch when dealing with such claims. These are some things I've been told as reasons to uninstall and bash some good and sometimes amazing games:

- Had someone tell me a similar thing about Crysis and invisibility/camo "it makes it far too easy". Or Crysis 2 seeing bullet trayectories and such. The latter I don't know exactly if it breaks the game at all, because since I knew I wouldn't like those things I NEVER upgraded the nanosuit and avoided any posible dumbing down.

- Skyrim/Morrowind: "You can stack potions/enchantments and then make overpowered enchantments and weapons/armor. It breaks the game so I uninstalled that shit." You can stack potions and enchanments indeed, just don't do it perhaps?

- HL2: "You can literally kill almost everything with the gravity gun and some heavy prop. It's nice at first but boring after 30 mins. So I uninstaleed that POS". Really? I can think off few games with a wider and more complete and satisfying array of different weapons...

EDIT: And when I said I might be assuming too much, I was just talking about you actually paying for the game. I just can't really think anyone would simply throw money like that, after just 1 hour of gameplay, for such an stupid reason.

Benetanegia, don't get a heart attack man. Why personally attack someone over a game? I stated my opinion, which you should respect, as I will respect your opinion.

If you have a difference of opinion, then debate it or let it go...

eclipx

This is gonna be awesome. Yes, Dayz was the first in his kind? Big open world. If you look to Resident Evil 5 it's gonna be -again- in small corridors, but this game will be in DirectX 11 :rockout:

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
Benetanegia, don't get a heart attack man. Why personally attack someone over a game?

granted he's a little hyped up, but i don't see him insulting you.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
it all comes down to the gameplay, could be good fun.

Benetanegia

Benetanegia, don't get a heart attack man. Why personally attack someone over a game? I stated my opinion, which you should respect, as I will respect your opinion.

If you have a difference of opinion, then debate it or let it go...

granted he's a little hyped up, but i don't see him insulting you.

Exactly I'm not insulting at all. All of us do stupid things like almost everyday and IMO forever dropping a game like Fallout3 for something like VATS is stupid. And I have stated that I think it's stupid not because of liking the "feature" or not, or for using something you dislike as an excuse for uninstalling a game. Those are subjective reasons after all and I do respect them and think are valid. If VATS was the only way to shoot in the game I would agree with you, FX, I hated VATS and never used it except in maybe very rare occasions. But it's not the only way to shoot or play the game, if the user doesn't want to use it for the entire game the option is right there, don't hit that button. It's as simple as that.

It's not a matter of opinion, I just cannot debate with you if the feature itself would be a reason to avoid the game or any other thing you might like or not for that matter. But the voluntary use of a button is not something subjective or which can be opinionated. Subjectiveness has nothing to do here. Don't like it, don't use it. Hence dropping the game because you were (apparently) hitting the button constantly, yeah, it is stupid. The only way I can think of it not being an stupid action (which does NOT imply an stupid person) or sucession of events, is if you have an OCD or something, which is out of the scope of our discussion.

Take the game install it and for the god of love play it (unbind VATS button). I think that more than half of people here will tell you that you will love it.

Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
If VATS was the only way to shoot in the game I would agree with you, FX, I hated VATS and never used it except in maybe very rare occasions. But it's not the only way to shoot or play the game, if the user doesn't want to use it for the entire game the option is right there, don't hit that button. It's as simple as that.

agreed

Blah Blah Blah.

What does VATS have to do with this topic, anyhow? Everyone has tried to let this topic die except you. Perhaps you should start another thread, or just let it go. Sheesh.

On the topic of this game, allowing resurrections would simply water down the game. I'm not excited at all, and expect a dumbed down Spike TV version of Rocket's creation.

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
Apparently WarZ was in development before DayZ.

So short answer – while we began developing our game before DayZ, we've been encouraged by fact that DayZ has become so popular. And yes, of course some of our latest design decisions were influenced by the DayZ community forums.

Source.

I'm definitely keen to try it but that's if I can drag myself away from DayZ.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I really like scavanging and survive, but I hate zombies. They are really REALLY getting old.

@VATS: Fallout 3/NV was never a "proper" FPS and I rather liked VATS except for that annoying slowmo exploding thing that happened EVERY TIME. However, skip Fallout 3 and go for New Vegas, that is almost a Fallout game (unlike Fallout 3 which is more like Fallout fan fiction).

I really like scavanging and survive, but I hate zombies. They are really REALLY getting old.

i think it's funny... there are people like you who have seen enough of em and want NO more. then there are people like me who think they have been underrepresented in all media (At least in quality media) and should be given a fair shake.
the success of dayz proves it - people are not sick of zombies, they are sick of cheap horror games that simply insert zombies as a monster, but might as well have been aliens or som mechanical creature.

a truly quality story about zombies, or a game that actually focuses on them instead of the horror is more than welcome in my book.