• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gabe Newell Calls Windows 8 a "Catastrophe"

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
well i think the point is that with additional development and more companies interested it doesn't have to stay that way. will it? likely for the forseeable future, but it doesn't HAVE to.

right but it's a bit like a vicious cycle - adoption = more companies investing time = less driver issues.

the fact that there are so few companies right now will keep adoption low. it will have to take a huge push, maybe even for valve to come out with thier own blackbox linux pc/console thingy using standard parts to take off.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
right but it's a bit like a vicious cycle - adoption = more companies investing time = less driver issues.

the fact that there are so few companies right now will keep adoption low. it will have to take a huge push, maybe even for valve to come out with thier own blackbox linux pc/console thingy using standard parts to take off.

true

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Anyone can code DirectX or numerous other interfaces
Anyone can code C++ or numerous other languages.

Windows has the market share, mature diver and hardware support, some cross-platform compatibility.

I believe with all the complaints about piracy this is both an attempt to start customers using a new layer of DRM, as well a stab in the dark at making a mediocre at best PC/Console hybrid to satisfy a minor hole in the market.

What happens when you purchase one and three years later the eye candy gets reduced to eye cancer levels of AA/AF in order to run the next Crysis? PC, slap in new graphics card and you are off, new CPU. Slow load times, run SSD's, need huge storage, RAID HDD's.

We are not at the point unless you are talking about Xbox 360 or PS3 level games that a PC will still NOT be able to decimate any console or hybrid unless they are specifically running forced optimizations for it, or pre-cooking scenery, and at that, why not do it on the PC as well and have yet again more detail?

No. I do not want your green eggs and ham.

I really don't think that the drivers will stay bad forever if Linux has substantial game distribution on it. I wouldn't be surprised if we see new Linux drivers released by AMD/invidia in the fairly near future in response to Valve's announcemnt.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Windows8 is more for phones than computers. Windows 8 sucks! I tried it out and man it looked like shit! Went back to windows7. IMHO, It will be some time before Micro$oft comes out with anything that will take it's place.

you tried it out? For how long, most people who are saying Windows 8 will fail have used it for barely a day. I used it for a day, hated it, but kept using it and now I like it a lot more.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
We are not at the point unless you are talking about Xbox 360 or PS3 level games that a PC will still NOT be able to decimate any console or hybrid unless they are specifically running forced optimizations for it, or pre-cooking scenery, and at that, why not do it on the PC as well and have yet again more detail?

not with 360 or ps3, but the next generations? very possibly. it happens for a time with every console generation. what makes it different now is the advent of cloud computing. you can bet microsoft and sony will be taking advantage of it in their new consoles, which will give those consoles a much longer lifespan at a lower price-point.

when you consider the fact that probably 80% of people with a desktop or even laptop don't do anything more than basic web browsing and media playing - a console will cover that. you will only need a desktop to do real work, which even that is getting easier on tablets, ultrabooks, and all in ones.

the computer is at the point where it doesn't have to be relegated to the nerd anymore. it doesn't have to be custom built or even that special to handle everything someone would throw at it. to me this means the desktop will go the way of commercial hardware: a small subset of users will own it but the vast majority will be using new technology instead, as they adopt of course.

I used it for a day, hated it, but kept using it and now I like it a lot more.

i only used it for a day or two. I liked some changes, but specifically hate the metro screen. if it's really as cheap to upgrade from 7 as they are hinting, i am sure i will: however i do not think windows 8 is as big of a deal as windows 7 was over vista, or xp over 98, etc.

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
you tried it out? For how long, most people who are saying Windows 8 will fail have used it for barely a day. I used it for a day, hated it, but kept using it and now I like it a lot more.

When the ribbon for microsoft office came out, people had full blown melt-downs.

Now everyone uses the ribbon and they love it. I think that this is a bit of a knee-jerk statement from Gabe. Especially given the fact that the OS is supposed to be faster and lighter than 7.

Yeah but most games will still be made for windows, and last time i checked DX 11 was way above and beyond anything that OpenGL had, so... I do like that valve is branching out, but I dont see people switching over to linux for gaming or anything else any time soon.

What this guy doesn't mention, is that even with all of the problems with windows 8 UI (and people will always, and always have, bitch and moan about UI changes), Linux has massive driver issues with a huge variety of hardware - and the last thing anyone wants to do is to spend 4 hours on wikis trying to figure out why the OS goes into a kernel panic everytime they load up the linux version of Skyrim.

1) Most games currently being released to multiple platforms are based upon DX9. Consoles, at least current generation, don't have DX11 support.
2) The XBOX and PS3 are basically just crappy computers. They stream media, play games, and have limited internet access. PCs do all of this, and can be used for productivity. The fact that the next XBOX is going (if rumors and patent applications can be believed) to have hardware expandability kinda seems to agree with this theory.
3) Skyrim has enough problems on Windows. Console to PC changeovers are always rough, whether they be to Windows or Linux is little indication of how smooth the experience will be. Monthly and weekly patches of games proves out this point.
4) Serious? Most developers use a packaged engine, with their own graphical models, textures, and relative physics. If somebody created an Unreal engine for OpenGL there's no reason that developers couldn't utilize it. There needs to be a market for Linux games first though...

So... sorry Gabe, I dont see a linux distro challenging windows in gaming anytime soon.

And in any case, what will happen is that 8 will come out, bomb like vista, and then 9 will come out by the end of 2013 and everyone will pretend like it never happened, just like Win ME.

Fair point. Linux might not challenge MS for average consumers in the next five years. How about ten? Fifteen? Linux is getting better, and the lack of a cost to entry is a boon in the parts (read: most) of the world that could use computers but can't afford Windows.

As far as the Windows 9 idea, I'm on that band wagon. Every other OS from MS sucks the chrome off of bumpers. I'm hoping that 9 is a worth while upgrade.

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64
As long as MS offers an upgrade to Windows 8 for $30 like they did with Win7, I'm all aboard. But to hell with paying full retail price for it.

Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
3) Skyrim has enough problems on Windows. Console to PC changeovers are always rough, whether they be to Windows or Linux is little indication of how smooth the experience will be. Monthly and weekly patches of games proves out this point.

All that proves is that there are also bugs with the game engines in the process of porting. But I'm not talking about the game engine bugs... im talking about driver issues...the interaction of the hardware with the game.

Which we all know, when a new game comes out Nvidia and AMD are racing to get the drivers down, because otherwise there are a bunch of 'my screen goes blank when I launch BF3' support tickets. That ain't a problem with the engine. THAT is where linux will fall flat on its face.

Linus Torvalds calling nVidia a bunch of a$$*** is a great indication of where linux is in relation to widespread driver support today.

At the end of the day it comes down to money. Right now, linux (on the desktop PC) = bunch of people who do this as a hobby and have day jobs. Until that changes, and valve comes out with a Steam Linux distro and dedicates a BUNCH of people to supporting it, everything will stay windows.

Last edited: