• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is my HDD dying?

Processor Intel I5 760@4Ghz
Motherboard Asus P7P55D Pro
Cooling Custom Water Cooling
Memory Super Talent 4GB DDR3@1600
Video Card(s) HD5830 water cooled by XSPC
Storage WD Blue 500GB
Case CM690 II+
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Cooler Master GM 550W Semi Modular
Software OS: Win7 Ultimate 64bit OEM
I have a 320GB sataII hard drive of Western Digital. Win7 keeps telling me that my hdd has errors but after i ran error checking utility, no errors were found. My pc runs fine but sometimes has a sudden shutdown without BSOD. So should i ignore that error reporting? Thank you for reading :)

Last edited:
System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Its probably getting SMART errors. Run HDtune and check it. Just run the free version its the second one down on there web site I believe. It will tell you what going on

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try changing the SATA cable.

Also, in the second picture, run that trouble shooter again.
Click on the blue text ("View Detailed Information") at the bottom of the info screen, in the troubleshooter, and post a screen shot of the info.

Also, check your event viewer, in the adminstrative tools, to see what errors and warnings are being logged.

Plus, Download and run Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Run the "Quick Test" to see if it finds any errors. Check the SMART data to see if it has any problems.
If you have a while, you can run the extended test, but it may take a while for it to finish.

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows Instructions:
1. Download the Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, WinDlg_122.zip
2. Extract and run the program, WinDlg.exe. If running Windows Vista, you will need to Right-Click on the WinDlg.exe file and choose to Run As Administrator.
Read and accept the license agreement to continue.
3. On the main program screen, there are two windows. In the top window, you will see the drives in your system, that are available for testing. The model number, serial number, and capacity of each drive will be displayed. In the bottom window, the partition information for the selected drive will be displayed.
4. Highlight the drive and select the icon on the top row to test or run SMART status.
5. The DLGDIAG - Select an Option window appears.
You will see the following options:
QUICK TEST - performs SMART drive quick self-test to gather and verify the Data Lifeguard information contained on the drive.
EXTENDED TEST - performs a Full Media Scan to detect bad sectors. Test may take several hours to complete depending on the size of the drive.
WRITE ZEROS - writes zeros to the drive with options of Full Erase and Quick Erase. File system and data will be lost. <<<< Do not run this, unless you want to wipe the drive!
VIEW TEST RESULT - displays the latest test results.
6. Select the test you wish to perform and click the Start button.
7. When the test completes, you will be notified with a pass/fail message. Click the Close button

:)

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Plus, Download and run Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

+1, that is the first thing you should do after checking cables.

Storage WD Blue 500GB
Case CM690 II+
Try changing the SATA cable.

I've changed the sata cable and used different sata port onboard. It didn't work :)

Here are some screen shots you asked :toast:
It gives me a green checked on everything :)

Its probably getting SMART errors. Run HDtune and check it. Just run the free version its the second one down on there web site I believe. It will tell you what going on

I just ran error scan. Here is the result

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Ok I'm gonna give these directions once.

1. Download the diagnostic tool from Western Digital as they are the manufacturer of your HD.
2. Run all tests including the long and advance test.
3. (A) If it comes back ok then its not the Drive and you have other issues. (B) If it fails then the drive is bad. RMA or replace. One option you have is to pull the drive and write zeros. This can fix bad allocations.

Running all kinds of diagnostic software will tell you nothing. Each HD vendor uses different processes for their HD. Firmware or even the PCB. Just because HDtune or some other random diagnostic program gives you an error or a clean slate means very little. ALWAYS go to the mfg for the right tool.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've changed the sata cable and used different sata port onboard. It didn't work :)

Here are some screen shots you asked :toast:
It gives me a green checked on everything :)

Did you run the tests?
Or, just look at the SMART data?

You need to run the tests, if you did not.
And, in the future, before taking a screen shot... expand the window, so we can see all the info.
Thanks.:)

Storage WD Blue 500GB
Case CM690 II+
Did you run the tests?
Or, just look at the SMART data?

You need to run the tests, if you did not.
And, in the future, before taking a screen shot... expand the window, so we can see all the info.
Thanks.:)

Oh sorry, my fault. I just ran the extended test from WD data lifeguard. The result said that my hdd passed :)

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, it seems that your SATA cable & hard drive are in good order.
So, just my opinion, I would suspect memory, mis-behaving drivers, running software conflict, or a virus/trojan/etc.

Also, check your event viewer, in the adminstrative tools, to see what errors and warnings are being logged.

^You need to do this^

I know it is an overwhelming process, if you have never done it before, but it may help lead you to a misbehaving driver, if there is one.

Also, run memtest86 from a cd or usb stick, for at least a few interations, not just one.
Download for the bootable iso version
Download for the Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7)

Which, antivirus do you use?
You may wish to un-install it and try a different one.
Try Microsoft's, it is decent and fine while you test. Microsoft Security Center
And, run a full scan while it is on there.

Update your drivers to the latest versions.
Especially, drivers for any I/O functions. (I/O controllers, lan drivers, wireless drivers, audio drivers, mouse and keyboard drivers, video, etc.)

Check in your Device manager to see if there are any devices with a problem. (yellow bang triangle)

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7
And, open an administrative command prompt(window) and type this "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes & put a space between the letter "c" and "/"), then hit enter. Let it scan for any files that are corrupt or bad.
If it finds none, great, just type "exit" (without the quotes) and hit enter.
If it does find any, let it repair them or follow the instructions it gives.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Well, it seems that your SATA cable & hard drive are in good order.
So, just my opinion, I would suspect memory, mis-behaving drivers, running software conflict, or a virus/trojan/etc.

^You need to do this^

I know it is an overwhelming process, if you have never done it before, but it may help lead you to a misbehaving driver, if there is one.

Also, run memtest86 from a cd or usb stick, for at least a few interations, not just one.
Download for the bootable iso version
Download for the Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7)

Which, antivirus do you use?
You may wish to un-install it and try a different one.
Try Microsoft's, it is decent and fine while you test. Microsoft Security Center
And, run a full scan while it is on there.

Update your drivers to the latest versions.
Especially, drivers for any I/O functions. (I/O controllers, lan drivers, wireless drivers, audio drivers, mouse and keyboard drivers, video, etc.)

Check in your Device manager to see if there are any devices with a problem. (yellow bang triangle)

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7
And, open an administrative command prompt(window) and type this "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes & put a space between the letter "c" and "/"), then hit enter. Let it scan for any files that are corrupt or bad.
If it finds none, great, just type "exit" (without the quotes) and hit enter.
If it does find any, let it repair them or follow the instructions it gives.

Viper speaks the truth.

If WD tool says its good then chances are its good man. You have other issues and Viper is giving you good advice for sure.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
i ran error checking utility, no errors were found.
Does that mean Scan Disk? Because you really need to run Scan Disk (requires restart when scaning the partition the OS is installed on). It sounds like the drive has NTFS errors and Scan Disk can fix those.

Storage WD Blue 500GB
Case CM690 II+
Does that mean Scan Disk? Because you really need to run Scan Disk (requires restart when scaning the partition the OS is installed on). It sounds like the drive has NTFS errors and Scan Disk can fix those.

Yes it is. I only checked my 2nd partition which has 252GB/320BGB in capacity. But i think using data lifeguard from WD to check is enough :)

@To 95viper

Under device manager i found this:

After running "sfc /scannow" the cmd said: "window resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

I'm using Norton Internet security 2012. A full system scan tells me i have some tracking cookies but i've deleted them already.

In the event viewer, i found error: vds basic provider, kernel event tracing, apps error, dhcp client,.... and warnings: kernel pnp, dns client events, search, wlan autoconfig, browser.

About the memtest86, do i need to run every test they have? Can i run window memory diagnostic instead? :)

***Update: System Maintance haven't reported any disk error so far :toast:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
After running "sfc /scannow" the cmd said: "window resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

That is good.

I'm using Norton Internet security 2012. A full system scan tells me i have some tracking cookies but i've deleted them already.

I am not fond of Norton, myself, but, at least you have an A/V.

In the event viewer, i found error: vds basic provider, kernel event tracing, apps error, dhcp client,.... and warnings: kernel pnp, dns client events, search, wlan autoconfig, browser.

You have a lot of errors and warnings there, you may wish to investigate them further.

But, the one that concerns me is the VDS basic provider.
Are you using VMware, or any kind of optical burner software that uses a SPTD driver?
If so, you may want to update it to the latest, they made some fixes in it.
SPTD for Windows XP/2003/Vista/Windows 7 < be sure to download the correct version
When you run the installer it will tell you if you have it on your system, if it says it is not on your system, just cancel the install.
If it is on your system then update it.
Also, if it causes trouble then you can follow the FAQ on this page to test.

About the memtest86, do i need to run every test they have? Can i run window memory diagnostic instead?

Memtest86 is a little more thorough, in my opinion, but you run which ever you want to.

***Update: System Maintance haven't reported any disk error so far

That is good. However, if the problem returns you need to read through this thread and try the advice offered, not just pick and choose.
All the advice was given for a reason, such as update your drivers.

As for that "unknown device" in your device manager.
You might want to first try looking through "device manager" and see if you are missing any devices. It may not be read right by windows or it could be just needing the correct driver to be installed.

Try testing your hubs, card readers, usb devices, printer, scanner, etc.

Well, good-luck, hope the problem is gone.