• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Reports Financial Results for Second Quarter Fiscal Year 2013

NVIDIA today reported revenue of $1.04 billion for the second quarter of fiscal 2013 ended July 29, 2012.

"Our investments in mobile computing and visual computing are both paying off," said Jen-Hsun Huang, president and chief executive officer of NVIDIA. "Tegra has achieved record sales as tablets come into their own. Our GPU business made strong gains in a weak market, boosted by our breakthrough Kepler architecture. Looking ahead, we're optimistic, as our investments position us right at the center of the fastest growing segments of computing."

Outlook

Our outlook for the third quarter of fiscal 2013 is as follows:

● Revenue is expected to be between $1.15 billion and $1.25 billion.

● GAAP and non-GAAP gross margins are expected to be flat relative to the prior quarter, at 51.8 percent and 52.0 percent, respectively.

● GAAP operating expenses are expected to be approximately $390 million; non-GAAP operating expenses are expected to be approximately $350 million.

● GAAP and non-GAAP tax rates are expected to be approximately 20 percent, plus or minus one percentage point, excluding any discrete tax events that may occur during the quarter, which, if realized, may increase or decrease our third quarter GAAP and non-GAAP tax rates. If the U.S. research tax credit is reinstated into tax law, we estimate our annual effective tax rate for the fiscal year 2013 to be approximately 16 percent.

We estimate depreciation and amortization for the third quarter to be approximately $57 million to $59 million. Capital expenditures are expected to be in the range of $30 million to $40 million.

Diluted shares for the third quarter are expected to be approximately 630 million.

Second Quarter Fiscal 2013 and Recent Highlights:

● Google announced that Tegra 3 powers its Nexus 7 tablet -- a fully-fledged tablet priced at just $199 -- which is the first device to run Jelly Bean, the latest version of Android.

● Microsoft announced that Tegra is the processor powering the company's Surface for Windows RT tablet.

● Kepler drove market share gains in the notebook market as OEMs announced Kepler-based notebooks. Among the products announced were new notebooks from Apple, Samsung, Dell, HP, Asus, Acer, Lenovo, and Sony.

● At its third annual GPU Technology Conference, NVIDIA launched cloud computing technologies for consumers and enterprise customers, which represent new business opportunities for the company. These leverage original software and new Kepler features to deliver virtualized GPUs.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
Very fast news post. They beat slightly the market expectations. The future looks bright at NVDA.

The surprise of that report is Professional Solutions is down 7.7%. Everything else is on the up & up.

Another interesting tid-bit in the report is Inventory is up. So demand is slowing down.

Last edited:
System Name ITX Desktop
Processor Core i7 9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro WiFi Z390
Cooling Arctic esports 34 duo.
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming OC White PRO
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Intel SSD 660p
Case NZXT H200
Power Supply Corsair CX Series 750 Watt
That $1.04 billion includes my 850 bucks ( 2x 670s). :D

System Name WhiteWalker2020 / LAN Box
Processor Intel i7 6900K 4.4GHz / 2500K i5@4.5GHz
Motherboard MSI X99A Krait / Gigabyte Z68-UD3P
Cooling Full custom liquid / XIGMATEK HDT-Aegir
Memory G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000MHz/ 4x4GB G. Skill DDR1866 Sniper
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1080Ti SC ACX 2.0, EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 2.0
Storage 950 Pro 512GB M.2, 960GB SanDisk Ultra II, Intel 730 480GB and 240GB, 850 EVO 250GB, 17TB Mechanical
Display(s) 39" AMH 399A (no glass) UHD , Wasabi Mango 42" UHD IPS, Samsung 55" 4K
Case Thermaltake Core x9 / HAF 932 Red
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD-Audio On-Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850W / Corsair 650TX
Mouse 2x Logitech 610
Keyboard Razer DeathStalker / Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 64bit Professional
Professional Solutions will be up next quarter as the next gen Quadros are just coming out now i think.

Professional Solutions will be up next quarter as the next gen Quadros are just coming out now i think.

They've been out for a while.

During the Q&A they mention Quadro is down and expected to be down next quater but are hopefull with more varients coming on-line..

Q & A Interesting notes....

Gave a price window for the up coming GeForce Keplers. $99-$249 USD.

28nm will still be constrained for next quater

Hope'n TSMC improves yeilds on 28nm

Tesla & Quadro sectors are down

G.R.E.Y will take longer to develop

Last edited:
System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
They've been out for a while.
Absolute BS. You really need to do some research before you post.

Current Quadro's are GF100/106/108 and GF110/104 for Quadro mobile -all Fermi based. The first Kepler based Quadro wont be released until October.
I'm assuming that you are afflicted with Alzheimers- you did after all make four comments on the article posted a couple of days ago.
A refresher:

Last edited:

Benetanegia

I hope that you're not suggesting that HPC market is even nearly as big as the professional GPU market. Because apparently you're suggesting that Tesla K10 sales can (and should have) make up for the lack of new Quadro card sales.

Being a Tesla or a Quadro does matter and a lot, because they ar not the same thing at all, but this is something you clearly can't wrap your head around... I just realised that.

EDIT: And no we are not related. If you get similar responses to your stupid claims, is well because they are stupid.

And BTW K10 is NOT the chip, the chip is GK104 and K10 is the Tesla SKU. The Quadro SKU is K5000.

Last edited:
Whats up troll...:laugh:

Hey, if I referance some JPR numbers or Mercury numbers will you say those are worthless and then point to a Steam Survey ?

I just want to know if I should take the time to referance what nvidia themselves always referance but I can pretty much guess what your going to do.

:toast:

I lied i just wanted to :laugh:

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
I lied i just wanted to ...:Xzibit:
What's new?...nothing obviously.
Nice clown act...it is an act, isn't it?

Tesla is no more Quadro than Quadro is GeForce...which is probably why they differentiate product lines using "Tesla", "Quadro" and "GeForce".

I honestly cant decide if you are GPU forum trolls are just Die-hard ignorant Nvidia fanboys.

HumanSmoke less so then Benetanegia but its equaling out.

It just seams that if it not a boasting PR release from Nvidia themselves you two dont beleive it.

Even more halarious the Benetanegia Steam Survey. HumanSmoke even you referance a Mercury report and he wasnt convinced it had any merit. The Irony is Nvidia conference calls always defer their stockholders & investors to JPR or Mercury stats.
Now I dont know how delusional you have to be to think stats of a Opt-In Steam Survey would triumph any research defered to from Nvidia themselves at a StockHolders & Investor meeting but it has to be pretty strong.

I love the fact that now you two are falling back on a naming discrepancy to somehow find a basis for your counter argument.
Call it what every you want, Nvidia obviously dont mind either as the link shows. Its a K10/GK104.

So are you two ever gonna answer the questions from other people in this forum when they question your source of information or are you just going to ignore it like you always do on so many threads.

Thanks for entertaining me ;)

:toast:

Benetanegia

Oh god it's amazing how much ignorance can fit in a single recipient.

As much as you can't understand it a Tesla is not a Quadro, and people wanting a Quadro are not going to buy a Tesla, because it's not a Quadro. Do you even know, poor soul, that Tesla K10 lacks any output connector? Just as most Tesla cards. Some have a single DVI, but since you are so ignorant I'll tell you that professionals want more than a single output.

And why do you even bring Steam survey here? I mean, ok, you can't differentiate between a Quadro and a Tesla card, but you cannot differentiate the professional market from the consumer market either? Wow, just wow.

Just so you know both AMD and Nvidia use Steam numbers often and the AMD part was already shown to you on the other thread, so nice try troll.

I'll repeat once more, for gaming cards, there's no better way to know which gaming cards end up in gamers' hands than a gaming platform like Steam, which has over 40 million users, which is BTW a significantly bigger number than the number of cards that any GPU maker sells on a quarter.

And I'm still waiting for that info on how Nvidia sells so much more Tesla's than Quadros.

HumanSmoke even you referance a Mercury report and he wasnt convinced it had any merit.

And this requires special attention. I did what? hahahaha I referenced his post not once, not twice but several times in that thread. You can't even read, what I said is that Mercury and JPR numbers are just as prone to innacuracy and bias as Steam survey, more in fact because they are based on a number of retailers and does not count the gazillions of cards that go into smaller retailers around the world. I commented that because you seem to take their numbers as gospel, just to go ahead and dismiss Steam Survey which has proven to be accurate, as long as gaming cards go.

This is like talking to people in coma. Oh man.

EDIT: And funny how Nvidia CFO in it's commentary of your beloved earning call, does not mention even ONCE Tesla, but he ramarks the weak Quadro sales.
Revenue for our Professional Solutions Business – which includes workstation graphics and computing –
was down 7.7 percent from the prior quarter, at $196.3 million. Our Quadro business remained steady
in the U.S. and in APAC, but experienced some softness in demand in Europe on continued weak
economic conditions. We also believe the delayed ramp of Romley workstations has stalled some
demand.

Come on go and tell us how you know so much more than Nvidia about their revenues. Go and help them man, go and tell Nvidia that their professional market was down not because of low Quadro sales, but because well idk, but according to you Tesla is involved. :laugh:

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8H61-M LX (B3)
Cooling Intel stock HSF
Memory 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon HD 6750 OC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3
Display(s) HP W2072a 20"
Case Cooler Master Elite 430 Black
Audio Device(s) Integrated (Realtek ALC887)
Power Supply Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
You three just doesn't know to stop don't you. Just get out, get some fresh air and put down your tin foil hat.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
Oh god it's amazing how much ignorance can fit in a single recipient.
I'd say that the dull storage device residing between Xzibit's ears has more bad sectors than good.

Maybe Xzibit should invest in some diagnostic software

EDIT (Gotta add at least something OT):
I love the fact that now you two are falling back on a naming discrepancy to somehow find a basis for your counter argument
Quadro = Pro graphics
Tesla = math co-processor
What's so difficult to understand
Call it what every you want, Nvidia obviously dont mind either as the link shows. Its a K10/GK104.
The link shows a reseller not Nvidia. You have trouble noticing the difference between an etailer and a hardware vendor.
Nvidia- as well as people who actually know the difference- differentiate between them. Note that Quadro includes NO Kepler SKU's.

Last edited:
EDIT: And funny how Nvidia CFO in it's commentary of your beloved earning call, does not mention even ONCE Tesla, but he ramarks the weak Quadro sales.

Actually it was Rob Csongor-VP, Investor Relations earnings call conferance

Karen Burns-Interim Chief Financial Officer just read half of the overview statement which was slightly differant then the one posted at the website and Jen-Hsun Huang Co-founder, President and Chief Executive Officer was there but didnt say anything.

Just had to correct you on that now you two continue. ;)

Benetanegia

Hahaha. Nice try.

No one cares who read what, officially it's Nvidia, what matters is the message and it's the absolute opposite of what you said.

Nvidia has put it very clear in their statements that it's its Quadro division that underperformed last quarter, and specifically in Europe, but of course you know better. :laugh: Prove it or stfu.

And please don't post a link to a reseller thinking it's Nvidia. :laugh: Hahaha, I didn't notice that you were saying that. Nice one.

How about you go back and answer all the calls from forum members on providing sources for your claims ?

I'd love to see where all the B.S. you post comes from originates.

Maybe then you get your wish young boy. ;)

System Name The one under the desk / Media Centre
Processor Xeon X3730@3.6GHZ / Phenom II X4 805E
Motherboard Gigabyte P55M-UD4 / Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Corsair H70 + 2*PWM fan / Arctic Alpine 11
Memory 16GB DRR3-1333 9-9-9-27 / 4GB Crucial DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) Asus DirectCU GTX 680 / Gigabyte 560TI
Storage Kingston V200 128GB, WD6400AAKS, 1TB Seagate 7.2kRPM SSHD / Kingston V200 128GB
Display(s) Samsung 2343BW + Dell Ultrasharp 1600*1200 / 32" TV
Case C'M' Silencio 550 / Some ancient SilverStone brushed aluminium media centre
Audio Device(s) No.
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675W / EVGA 430W
Mouse Mionix Naos 3200 / Generic PS2
Keyboard Roccat Ryos TKL Pro / Evoluent Mouse Friendly Keyboard (Logitech OEM)
Software Windows 7 Ult x64
Benchmark Scores Nah.