• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cold boot issue with 7970

hoedownjack23

Hello,
I just bought a Powercolor PCS+ 7970 and have encountered an issue where, usually, once I turn my computer on, I receive an error beep (supposedly memory) and the computer doesn't boot. If then I quickly turn the computer off and back on, the computer posts and boots normally. I already RMA'd one of these with a similar problem. I have tried two separate motherboards (ASUS M4A78LT-M and MSI 870-G45, both with newest bios versions) and the issue persists. I also reset the CMOS a couple times without fixing the problem. I have tested the card, the memory, and the PSU in another computer (similarly spec'd) with no problems. Also, a Sapphire 5870 2GB works without any issue in both motherboards. I am not sure if it is a compatibility issue or what. I am wholeheartedly confused and would like any help, thanks.

Also, when it was booted, it performed spectacularly running both Furmark and Prime95 simultaneously without error and playing games rather well and benchmarking properly.

System Specs:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090t
MSI 870-G45
2x2GB G. Skill 1066Mhz (tried also 2x4GB Kingston 1333mhz)
Powercolor PCS+ 7970
Some ASUS DVD/CD drive
Cavier Blue 1TB HDD
Cosair TX650w

Again, thanks.

Phusius

Processor i5-2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard Asus Z68 Deluxe
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7950 @ 1200/1475 @ 1175v
Display(s) Dell 23" 2ms
Case Carbide 500r
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG
7970's generally have this issue, your not alone. luckily for me i hardly ever turn my PC off... so it doesn't bug me to much xD

Have you tried BIOS 2 on the card ?

-7970s come with 2 BIOS next to the Cross-Fire bridge there is a switch with 1 & 2. You can flip between the two. Try your luck and see if that helps.

Also check PowerColor to see if they made changes internally or provide a Bios update if its a different design then referance.

Cold boot and memory non-post might mean memory going bad or bad timing/incompatability. Overclocking ? Tried auto settings ?

Might want to run a memory test to rule that out. In your PC, not sure if you ran the test on the other or yours.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Bitch!!! Bitch at the manufacture and tell them your sick of the problem. Ask them for a test bios or something for you to try.

I had a 5970 that had a cold bug.. A dude from another site was talking to Sapphihe and they gave him a bios that he ended up sharing to fellow 5970 owners with the same problem.
It sure cured the problem :)

hoedownjack23

Well, after a couple more hours of troubleshooting, I think that it may be the power supply. At first, I didn't think that it was the problem because I tested it in the other computer and it worked well. Then I tested the other computer's PSU (also a Corsair TX650) in my computer it worked no matter what I did to it. Subsequently, I tested my PSU and the problem occurred. Now, this may end up not being the problem, but this is what I'm pursuing for now. Thank you all for your help and time.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Glad to hear its the Psu! Good luck with your further testing.

Make sure to keep us posted :respect:

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
7970's generally have this issue, your not alone. luckily for me i hardly ever turn my PC off... so it doesn't bug me to much xD

Yeah not to disagree with you, but only issue I had booting/posting we're with my faulty 7970 that was replaced. Running 2 now and no issues at all like described above. OP glad you figured it out! RMA that faulty corsair.

Phusius

Processor i5-2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard Asus Z68 Deluxe
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7950 @ 1200/1475 @ 1175v
Display(s) Dell 23" 2ms
Case Carbide 500r
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG
Yeah not to disagree with you, but only issue I had booting/posting we're with my faulty 7970 that was replaced. Running 2 now and no issues at all like described above. OP glad you figured it out! RMA that faulty corsair.

It may be my PSU as well, it even did it with my 7950. My 750x PSU is kinda old I dunno, also my ram is mismatched, I have 2 pareema sticks and 2 patriot g2 sticks... might need to swap those out someday to be safe, again I dunno and I don't feel like doing trial and error lol

Well, after a couple more hours of troubleshooting, I think that it may be the power supply. At first, I didn't think that it was the problem because I tested it in the other computer and it worked well. Then I tested the other computer's PSU (also a Corsair TX650) in my computer it worked no matter what I did to it. Subsequently, I tested my PSU and the problem occurred. Now, this may end up not being the problem, but this is what I'm pursuing for now. Thank you all for your help and time.

You mentioned your 5870 was running fine which has a 2 6-pin.

Check if the 6+2-pin connector wires are loose on the PSU or using the adapters for the power.

Could help you narrow it down.