• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Windows 8 Gaming Performance

System Name Blue Beast 2.0
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling EK EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra Gaming Hybrid
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 500GB NVME, Western Digital SN750 1TB NVME, Western Digital SN850 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC AG271QG, Dell UltraSharp U2414H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic - Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DGX PCI-E 5.1
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO
Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK.2 Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
You only mention one thing that is bad. You don't even mention all the good either.

I personally am not a fan of the new metro cosmetic stuff. Not that important. The usability of the new interface on a desktop comes into question too. I could learn to live with all that too, but why. I have windows 7.

What really gets me is the littler things. How microsoft appears to be trying to lock down the OS. That is why all the game developers freaked out. I also really dislike the cloud integration they are trying. I didn't like how I needed to use my windows live account to log in, but just found out I didn't need to. I am questionable about the windows store but that all depends on if they go apple on us.

Performance was one of the only things that might of been able to sell me onto windows 8. ...but this test shows that to be marginal at best.

You can create a local account, Microsoft isn't forcing anything cloud related on the user, all they did is integrate Skydrive and they are using it the same way Apple uses iCloud, to keep your settings in the cloud to load onto another machine if you choose. Otherwise, it behaves exactly like Windows 7 in that regard.

Also, other than the store what did they lock down? They've hidden things a bit more but that's it from what I can see.

Anyways, back to on topic. Thanks for the comparison W1zz! You got better results than I did with my laptop, but my testing obviously wasn't as in depth as yours haha.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
You only mention one thing that is bad. You don't even mention all the good either.

I personally am not a fan of the new metro cosmetic stuff. Not that important. The usability of the new interface on a desktop comes into question too. I could learn to live with all that too, but why. I have windows 7.

What really gets me is the littler things. How microsoft appears to be trying to lock down the OS. That is why all the game developers freaked out. I also really dislike the cloud integration they are trying. I didn't like how I needed to use my windows live account to log in, but just found out I didn't need to. I am questionable about the windows store but that all depends on if they go apple on us.

Performance was one of the only things that might of been able to sell me onto windows 8. ...but this test shows that to be marginal at best.

As you said you don't need to log into Live so that concern is mute. Being more like Apple? One of the most valuable companies in the world? Yeah of course people are gonna mimic working business models. Wouldn't you? I know Apple computers better then Windows and I gotta tell you some things they do (now implemented in Windows 8) are vastly better then what Windows 7 offers. A simple app store can help a lot of novice users avoid scams. Doesn't mean windows is closed either. Mac isn't closed. That's very big misconception.

Gabe is just worried about having to pay more for windows certification and his Linux...err Steam Box.

As for Metro that's a valid concern for you as its an opinion. An opinion based off of conditioning of "needing" a start menu. Apple doesn't have a start menu. They have a dock where the app aliases are stored. You could argue the lil' apple in the corner could suffice as a start button but I have never EVER seen a power user use it for anything other then shutting down the computer, restarting or updating. Windows 8 is a NEW OS for a change. Its the future. Windows 9 isnt gonna go back to the Windows 7 GUI sorry but this is it. Learn it or go Apple or Linux. Just don't expect any good gaming.

Reactions: Kei
System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
I agree reprogramming yourself after 20 years of conditioning can be tough. I went from OS 7, to OS 8 to OS 9 to OSX. Then I jumped ship and used XP and it was alien to me. Took some time but I learned to be even faster in Windows XP, Vista and 7 then I was in any Mac OS. Now Metro comes along and I get to learn something new and I am willing to bet faster then any current incarnation of Windows when it comes to work flow.

Start menu was replaced by a start screen. Seems like a normal evolution to me and the faster you learn it the better prepared you'll be for the future.

I would agree if they took it a logical step forward rather than something that takes for ever.

I used windows 8 for a month hoping I'd learn to use it as fast as seven and it just wasn't.

Features that should of stayed on get taken out and pointless gimicky shit got added.

For example in windows seven I hit the windows key, half type what I want and hit enter and it runs the program.

The search function in windows 8 is counter intuitive and slower than the search in windows seven.

The whole GUI is shitty for desktop use regardless of how well it performs under the hood if it's difficult to take advantage of the speed what's the point?

As for unifying devices, my android device keeps up to date with all of my windows desktop applications easily and automatically.

Hell I can even edit office documents on my phone.

I can see what microsoft are trying to do but I feel their execution is lacking.

For the first time in years I'm considering Linux and OSX for my next OS D: ( or hell if they get Android x86 working I'll probably be fine with that :laugh: )

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Or stick with 7 and upgrade when 9 comes, I see little need for an upgrade right now.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
I would agree if they took it a logical step forward rather than something that takes for ever.

I used windows 8 for a month hoping I'd learn to use it as fast as seven and it just wasn't.

Features that should of stayed on get taken out and pointless gimicky shit got added.

For example in windows seven I hit the windows key, half type what I want and hit enter and it runs the program.

The search function in windows 8 is counter intuitive and slower than the search in windows seven.

The whole GUI is shitty for desktop use regardless of how well it performs under the hood if it's difficult to take advantage of the speed what's the point?

As for unifying devices, my android device keeps up to date with all of my windows desktop applications easily and automatically.

Hell I can even edit office documents on my phone.

I can see what microsoft are trying to do but I feel their execution is lacking.

For the first time in years I'm considering Linux and OSX for my next OS D: ( or hell if they get Android x86 working I'll probably be fine with that :laugh: )

Most users don't type in the app they wanna run. They just double click the alias on the desktop. ;)

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
You can create a local account, Microsoft isn't forcing anything cloud related on the user, all they did is integrate Skydrive and they are using it the same way Apple uses iCloud, to keep your settings in the cloud to load onto another machine if you choose. Otherwise, it behaves exactly like Windows 7 in that regard.

Also, other than the store what did they lock down? They've hidden things a bit more but that's it from what I can see.

Anyways, back to on topic. Thanks for the comparison W1zz! You got better results than I did with my laptop, but my testing obviously wasn't as in depth as yours haha.

As you said you don't need to log into Live so that concern is mute. Being more like Apple? One of the most valuable companies in the world? Yeah of course people are gonna mimic working business models. Wouldn't you? I know Apple computers better then Windows and I gotta tell you some things they do (now implemented in Windows 8) are vastly better then what Windows 7 offers. A simple app store can help a lot of novice users avoid scams. Doesn't mean windows is closed either. Mac isn't closed. That's very big misconception.

Gabe is just worried about having to pay more for windows certification and his Linux...err Steam Box.

As for Metro that's a valid concern for you as its an opinion. An opinion based off of conditioning of "needing" a start menu. Apple doesn't have a start menu. They have a dock where the app aliases are stored. You could argue the lil' apple in the corner could suffice as a start button but I have never EVER seen a power user use it for anything other then shutting down the computer, restarting or updating. Windows 8 is a NEW OS for a change. Its the future. Windows 9 isnt gonna go back to the Windows 7 GUI sorry but this is it. Learn it or go Apple or Linux. Just don't expect any good gaming.
I did not say they locked anything down. It is a fear that they might. I am pro capitalism and all that. I just don't agree with some of apple's business practices. Apple is one profit making monster though. Not that microsoft is much better as they are now.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
Most users don't type in the app they wanna run. They just double click the alias on the desktop. ;)

My desktop is for looking pretty and for dumping files onto, and nothing else :laugh:

Seriously though, typing is so much faster and keeps everything clutter free.

I love it.

Instead of opening steam like a bitch and then running my games I just hit windows key type cry hit enter and BAM I'm playing Crysis 2:laugh: ( If I want to run one of the other crysis games I press the down key once or twice :p)

Same with movies and such, instead of opening a folder and browsing I just hit the windows key and write " big tits" and hit enter. ;)

TheMailMan78

Big Member
My desktop is for looking pretty and for dumping files onto, and nothing else :laugh:

Seriously though, typing is so much faster and keeps everything clutter free.

I love it.

Instead of opening steam like a bitch and then running my games I just hit windows key type cry hit enter and BAM I'm playing Crysis 2:laugh: ( If I want to run one of the other crysis games I press the down key once or twice :p)

My desktop is cleaner then yours I bet. All my apps are tacked on to the top of the start menu. But I have to click the start menu and click then app. On Window 8 the app is in the launch screen. Click. App opens. One less click then Windows 7. :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter. MOST users have a desktop that looks like a bomb went off on it. App. aliases everywhere. Metro is an evolution to the common user and guess who MS is selling this too?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Doesn't matter. MOST users have a desktop that looks like a bomb went off on it. App. aliases everywhere. Metro is an evolution to the common user and guess who MS is selling this too?

Wait you mean shortcuts? "App aliases"? :wtf:

The main problem about Metro (or whatever it's called now) imo is that it's so different from the "normal" desktop. It feels like you're flung back and forth between different systems. My major complaint is that the tiles are so big. When I saw it I figured you could modify them at least a bit, move them around and make them different sizes. Now it just feels like a waste of space.

And I don't really understand why people complain about an app store. It's one of the better things there.

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
try customizing metro to how you want it. Its way better once you personalize it. Put all the tiles in the order you want, and pin whatever you want to the metro screen.

Can you pin a Start menu tile on the Metro UI>?

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
My desktop is cleaner then yours I bet. All my apps are tacked on to the top of the start menu. But I have to click the start menu and click then app. On Window 8 the app is in the launch screen. Click. App opens. One less click then Windows 7. :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter. MOST users have a desktop that looks like a bomb went off on it. App. aliases everywhere. Metro is an evolution the to common user and guess who MS is selling this too?

So instead of trying to innovate they are catering to the incredibly stupid people? ( They should try and subtlety encourage people to become better at using their computer instead.)

yeah sounds like a good way to develop software to me :laugh:

Since Android and iOS I've got used to developers trying to stream line things in an intelligent forward thinking way :laugh: ( Well aside from Samsung who also like a cluster fuck of widgets and icons instead of a tidy and clean OS)

I've also found since windows seven my friends tend to keep their desktops a lot tidier and just utilise the taskbar to pin their most accessed programs. ( to be fair, I taught most of them the quick search method of opening things)

By the by, desktop is attached for you : ] ( I have icons disabled since I don't actually need to see anything I dump on the desktop since I just use search all the time)

I also frequently use search in Android rather than manually looking for things.

Attachments

• desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 399
System Name CTG Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
Motherboard Asus Strix B550-F
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 2x 16gb G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-32GTZN
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX6800XT Gaming OC
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) MAG274QRF-QD | Asus vg248qe
Case Fractal Meshify 2
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlasterx G6
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 750w G2
Mouse Logitech G pro Wireless
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Thanks for the review W1z :)

TheMailMan78

Big Member
So instead of trying to innovate they are catering to the incredibly stupid people? ( They should try and subtlety encourage people to become better at using their computer instead.)
Teach people not to be stupid? Um yeah are you new here? No the best path to success is to make things idiot proof. Apple is a trend setter in this aspect.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
Teach people not to be stupid? Um yeah are you new here? No the best path to success is to make things idiot proof. Apple is a trend setter in this aspect.

That isn't what I said, encouraging development of skill has nothing to do with some persons level of intelligence :laugh:

Regarding the later part, having a mess of icons and widgets does not make things easier, like you said the average user has no idea how to tidy up that shit. So eventually they'll just have a start screen filled with icons and won't be able to find a thing, hell the icons are becoming animated now as well so people with shitty pcs will get slow downs.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
That isn't what I said, encouraging development of skill has nothing to do with some persons level of intelligence :laugh:

Skill of what? Cluttering their desktop? They have been trying that for 20 years.....it hasn't worked. People still use a computer about to the same level as a toaster oven.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
Skill of what? Cluttering their desktop? They have been trying that for 20 years.....it hasn't worked. People still use a computer about to the same level as a toaster oven.

I'm almost certain it's possible to do, some of the variations of Android I've seen ( and again Ios) work brilliantly.

Sorting your items into categories and folders is easy as dragging one app onto another. Automatic file creation : ]

Hell I taught my mother how to organise her app draw on her phone in two minutes and she can barely use windows but she does EVERYTHING on her phone.

Miui, Go launcher and Ios are awesome examples of stream lining without making things a cluster fuck :laugh:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
I'm almost certain it's possible to do, some of the variations of Android I've seen ( and again Ios) work brilliantly.

Sorting your items into categories and folders is easy as dragging one app onto another. Automatic file creation : ]

Hell I taught my mother how to organise her app draw on her phone in two minutes and she can barely use windows but she does EVERYTHING on her phone.

Miui, Go launcher and Ios are awesome examples of stream lining without making things a cluster fuck :laugh:

And now Windows Phones, Tablets and Computers will all have the same GUI. Learn one, learn them all. Its the future.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
And now Windows Phones, Tablets and Computers will all have the same GUI. Learn one, learn them all. Its the future.

But it's a shitty Gui! :laugh:

Like I said I can see what microsoft are going for, the execution is just lacking. I think they've made a mistake with the metro UI. It's to jarring going between metro and the desktop as they function completely differently.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

I know people who know Windows but is very confussled about modern phones, so you're not universally right. And I have at least two friends (who are not old) to whom I've explained how to do things many MANY times and they still don't get it.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
I know people who know Windows but is very confussled about modern phones, so you're not universally right. And I have at least two friends (who are not old) to whom I've explained how to do things many MANY times and they still don't get it.

Some people are just fucktarded though, I've friends like that too :laugh:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
But it's a shitty Gui! :laugh:

Like I said I can see what microsoft are going for, the execution is just lacking. I think they've made a mistake with the metro UI. It's to jarring going between metro and the desktop as they function completely differently.

You think that because you are not fluent in using it. I thought the same thing about windows XP. Open your mind a little. See the big picture.

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Thank you for this review, Like I new this OS was not going to improve games so there is no need to change from windows 7 (The Best!) to windows 8 a tablet OS!

I am a PC and windows7 is my Idea!

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
You think that because you are not fluent in using it. I thought the same thing about windows XP. Open your mind a little. See the big picture.

What's the point? There is absolutely no reason at all to switch from Windows 7 to Windows 8 on a PC. None. Zero, regardless of UI.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten

I am incredibly quick to adapt and couldn't manage to use the OS as effectively as Windows Seven or Vista.

Or OSX, Ios, Linux and Android :laugh:

Normally it only takes me a few days to get used to a new piece of software or OS. I couldn't get used to Windows 8 in an entire month :laugh:

I'll give credit where credits due though, windows 8 is better than XP/98 and millennium edition lol

TheMailMan78

Big Member
What's the point? There is absolutely no reason at all to switch from Windows 7 to Windows 8 on a PC. None. Zero, regardless of UI.
Um...
Smaller footprint, more secure, faster boot and shut down, runs beta drivers and goes toe to toe with a mature OS, ties main OS with all your mobile devices........yet no start button so it must be fail.

Common sense is not so common.