• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte Cracks Core i7-3770K OC World Record with Z77X-UP7

babdi

System Name Assembled
Processor Intel I7-3770K
Motherboard AsRock Z77 Extreme 6
Cooling Corsair H-100,Push/Pull
Memory Gskill sniper 1866 (Oced to 2000),32 GB
Video Card(s) Zotac 560 Ti 1 GB
Storage OCZ 120 GB SSD,Boot,Seagate 320- 7200 rpm,Seagate 2 TB
Display(s) BenQ 22" LCD
Case Cooler master HAF 932
Power Supply Corsair AX 850
Software Windows 7 Home premium
Yes AMD beats Intel in OC. Just that. Intel beats on performance bench marks on all counts for day to computing which is what a normal user and a enthusiast would like.:nutkick:

No_Asylum

I am so sick of hearing about these absolutely pointless 7ghz overclocks.
1, It is only possible in a bench setup using Liquid Nitrogen
2, It is only possible for the limited time that the Liquid Nitrogen is actually able to cool.

When a store bought fan or liquid cooling kit is able to give us these numbers, THEN we'll be interested in hearing about it.

With all due respect, I don't think I'm missing the point at all, however, I do accept that I'm the minority with my opinion, and that's the very reason why I apologized in advance.

I would say that "drag racing" induces similar feelings in me. I do appreciate the top quality engineering what goes into those vehicles, and they amaze me all the time indeed, but I also can't agree whit someone who is calling it a "car racing" event. It's more like a torque race for me, lacking all the quality what's use to happen when cars race on a track. While I can understand if that's a lot of fun for many people, I still feel it's fake when they call it car racing, just like how I feel it's fake when someone breaks records in a "useless" way in computer science, as I already explained my views on this subject some time ago.

It's a great record all right, and I'm sure it's also an important step in the name of progression indeed, but I can't help it, I just can't see the point in it in a way how you do, because I feel "cheated" knowing that they disabled those other cores just to get this high MHz.

ps.: And I know that I'm not an un-thusiasts;)

The Challenge is go as high as you can with whatever you can, the minimum requirement is 1c 1 t. So why would anyone use 4c/8t unless going 1c/1t didn't give them any benefit, that would just mean they aren't overclocking right and prob need to re mount.

Just for FYI, I was told today that there have been successful uses of LN2 to cool down major systems, they take the LN2 and spray it basically over a computer, and they can do this for as long as they want.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
Was there a point to this? Does any game even benefit from 4.3ghz yet? :laugh:

and any working PC that is important is already a supercomputer... so again... useless benching? :roll:

edit: i'd rather hear some news on what the world's supercomputers are accomplishing to progress mankind

I lol when people ask if there is a point to enthusiast overclocking.. If you were an enthusiast you wouldn't even make such a statement.. The point is painfully apparent.. Just to do it.. plain and simple.. No matter if it helps or amounts to anything at all.. Just to prove it can be done and to have fun doing it..
No one cares if you don't understand it.. Do you like hockey? No hockey fans care if you don't.. The people who play it and the people who do it care... If you don't care, then why even put your two cents in? Sounds like good old fashioned passive/agressive trolling to me..

cadaveca

My name is Dave
It's a great record all right, and I'm sure it's also an important step in the name of progression indeed, but I can't help it, I just can't see the point in it in a way how you do, because I feel "cheated" knowing that they disabled those other cores just to get this high MHz.

ps.: And I know that I'm not an un-thusiasts;)

OK, so let me start by saying:

I used to post very similar stuff, and not too long ago, either, even though I have been buying high-end parts for years.

What is important here, and why companies do this, is not just bragging rights on having the highest frequency, with a neutered chip.

The fact is, reaching that frequency and maintaining it long enough to do a benchmark is very very hard, and the further you can push at the extreme, the more stable things will be when not pushing the extreme.

Computer components...all of them, quite nearly...die becuase of electromigration.

Electrons don't want to go where you want. They want to go is specific directions, and to manipulate them to do what you want, with a blazing-fast frequency, requires excellent circuit design, that must cover many basics...the power must be clean, must not falter, and must not be shed as heat in excess.

Really, all overclocking attempts, really, are tests of power delivery and the stability of that power at high frequency, and not much else.

The actual benchmark score...unimportant.

Test run..unimportant, other than an indicator of power loading.

Marketing teams have been told that the highet benchmark, or highest speed is what gamers and overclockers understand, so that's what the yrelate, rather than telling you why they really do it....that's the failure of reviewers when talking to OEMs about what their readers want, that has been going on for years.

Why does Gigabyte mention that you can bypass the PLX PEX8747?

Who told them this was important? And why don't they tell YOU why it's importnant?

Again, they forgot to fully explain. But guess who's been telling them such things ARE important?

:p

The Challenge is go as high as you can with whatever you can, the minimum requirement is 1c 1 t. So why would anyone use 4c/8t unless going 1c/1t didn't give them any benefit, that would just mean they aren't overclocking right and prob need to re mount.

Just for FYI, I was told today that there have been successful uses of LN2 to cool down major systems, they take the LN2 and spray it basically over a computer, and they can do this for as long as they want.

Because it's like going with a car on one wheel only, it defeats the purpose of overclocking and adds some kind of a "tabloid" feeling to the story, even if I truly understand how big achievement it is indeed.
I understand it's progression of course, but continuing with my analogy: they broke the world record of driving a Mustang 2012 model on one wheel only, but my problem is that it's still only 72 mph, which would be only awesome if you wouldn't compare it to speeds achievable on four wheels.
I'm saying that only the whole CPU and the gained extra performance is what counts for me. Sorry, but that's how it is.

Marketing teams have been told that the highet benchmark, or highest speed is what gamers and overclockers understand, so that's what the yrelate, rather than telling you why they really do it....that's the failure of reviewers when talking to OEMs about what their readers want, that has been going on for years.
I know, I understand this is all came out from the marketing department of course, I just don't like how these 1 core/1 thread news are going , that's all:toast:

Last edited:
System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
Was there a point to this? Does any game even benefit from 4.3ghz yet? :laugh:
Sins Of A Solar Empire would. That game is single threaded and Ghz wins.