• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why XCL command doesn't work at all in Afterburner?

Since unofficial mode doesn't work anymore, ppl have said i should use the XCL command to extend the clocks. The thing is, this thing doesn't work at all. I've tried -xcl and /xcl and in both cases Afterburner just doesn't start at all. If i remove this command from shortcut, it works again. But with limited clocks range. What gives!?

Gigabyte HD7950 WindForce 3X
Cat 12.8 WHQL
MSI Afterburner 2.2.3

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Since unofficial mode doesn't work anymore, ppl have said i should use the XCL command to extend the clocks. The thing is, this thing doesn't work at all. I've tried -xcl and /xcl and in both cases Afterburner just doesn't start at all. If i remove this command from shortcut, it works again. But with limited clocks range. What gives!?

Cat 12.8 WHQL
MSI Afterburner 2.2.3

I'm using Sapphire Trixx with my Windforce 7950s, works great. Sorry if this wasn't the answer you are looking for, but it may be a viable alternative for you.

I'll stick with Afterburner then (sorry Wiz). TriXX allows me to clock higher out of the box but for now i'll stick with Afterburner because it has nicer tray icon and better controls (and monitoring graphs).

BababooeyHTJ

Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77 UD5h
Cooling XSPC Raystrom
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) 7950 crossfire
Storage a few
Display(s) 27" Catleap
Case Xigmatek Elysium
Audio Device(s) Xonar STX
Power Supply Seasonic X1050
Software Windows 7 X64
I'm using Sapphire Trixx with my Windforce 7950s, works great. Sorry if this wasn't the answer you are looking for, but it may be a viable alternative for you.

Trixx seems to lock up my computer. It seems to only happen after running afterburner. It could be some sort of conflict, IDK. I really like afterburner's OSD.

Cat 12.8 WHQL
MSI Afterburner 2.2.3

Since unofficial mode doesn't work anymore, ppl have said i should use the XCL command to extend the clocks. The thing is, this thing doesn't work at all. I've tried -xcl and /xcl and in both cases Afterburner just doesn't start at all. If i remove this command from shortcut, it works again. But with limited clocks range. What gives!? Gigabyte HD7950 WindForce 3X Cat 12.8 WHQL MSI Afterburner 2.2.3[/QUOTE]"]You need to download a "patch" that you can get from here.

Last edited:

BlackZero

System Name Dark Armour
Processor i7 2600K H2O
Motherboard Asus P67 Pro
Cooling RX360 + SR1-240
Memory 8GB G.Skill
Video Card(s) MSI 7970 OC
Storage Crucial M4 SSD + 2TB HDD
Display(s) P243w 24" + 42lh5000 42"
Case TT Armor+
Audio Device(s) X-Fi + 2400ES
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/blackzero/

Cat 12.8 WHQL
MSI Afterburner 2.2.3

You need to download MSI Afterburner version 221. This is because later versions of the drivers and MSI afterburner no longer ship with a couple of missing files. This is probably also why it doesn't work with the aforementioned switch added.

Once you have installed MSI Afterburner 221 you can install later versions too.

PS.

MSI Afterburner 2.2.1 - LINK

Last edited:
System Name Project Evolv mATX V2
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B550M Steel Legend
Cooling AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.SKILL 3200 C14 / 1T running at 3400
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6800XT Nitro
Storage Samsung 980 pro NVMe 2TB
Display(s) Dual Samsung 27" G50A's
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX in Silver
Audio Device(s) To many to list - generally a modified E-MU 0404 combined with a Project Ember for my desktop use
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W
Software Win 11
It is just a missing dll file. I have it but it is at home. Just a drag and drop the file and it works fine.

You can actually find, and download an older version of afterburner. Pull the below file, then un-install / install new version of afterburner and drop it into the new afterburner install folder and it works just fine.

Missing dll :

ATIPDLXX.DLL

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback

BababooeyHTJ

Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77 UD5h
Cooling XSPC Raystrom
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) 7950 crossfire
Storage a few
Display(s) 27" Catleap
Case Xigmatek Elysium
Audio Device(s) Xonar STX
Power Supply Seasonic X1050
Software Windows 7 X64
It is just a missing dll file. I have it but it is at home. Just a drag and drop the file and it works fine.

You can actually find, and download an older version of afterburner. Pull the below file, then un-install / install new version of afterburner and drop it into the new afterburner install folder and it works just fine.

Missing dll :

ATIPDLXX.DLL

here is the dll http://cl.ly/JG26/atipdlxx.dll taken from cat 12.2 works with ANY cat version
drop it in your afterburner folder

Thanks guys, this did the trick for me. The /XCL switch didn't work on my second card.