• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X 3 GB

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
So you are saying, we are the only ones who tested it, and you like the results of people better who use invalid test methods. testing whole system's power consumption with a $10 power meter is not really reliable

edit: i'm crawling out of bed to restest idle just for you

:lovetpu: That's Dedicaton :cool:

W1zzard, actually I like your and Kitguru's test quite a lot. Great read. I have no idea what instruments the various websites are using to test. I assumed they know what they're doing and have the right tools. I might be wrong there.

I have done some basic calculations and the higher idle power consumption Techpowerup.com is reporting would cost me a little less than 10 Euro extra a year. Not a dealbreaker although the money adds up when I keep the card for a couple of years.

I have also thought about buying a smaller card like a Radeon 7770, 7850 or 7870. Or a Geforce 660. If I chose one of those I could save a few euro's more. But I decided to spend some of my hard earned money on a Sapphire Vapor-X 7950 even if I'm not that big gamer. I want a good and quiet card and the offer I got was so good that I could not say no :)

Thanks a lot for doing a second test on the power consumption. You are crazy in a good way for taking time in doing this. I think I will do some experiments if I can get a stable card while undervolting it a bit. I'm looking for forward for next weekend. Right now I have a PC based on a 7 year old AMD Athlon 64 with 1 GB RAM and a 5670 graphics card !!! The new graphics card together with a new Ivy Bridge setup will be a HUGE change :D

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I assumed they know what they're doing and have the right tools

not speaking of anyone specifically, but almost no reviewer i know has has had scientific training. testing tools range from mythbusters pseudo-scientific to better than what hardware manufacturers use. and then you still need to use them correctly. so yes, question the testing, and yes, question tpu, too :)

regarding noise levels, if that is your main priority then you must look at the asus 660 ti dc II. it's the best high performance low noise card on the market today, no other card comes even close.

again, not saying the sapphire card is a bad choice, you might not even hear the difference, especially when coming from an older noisy system

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
W1zzard, actually I like your and Kitguru's test quite a lot. Great read. I have no idea what instruments the various websites are using to test. I assumed they know what they're doing and have the right tools. I might be wrong there.

I have done some basic calculations and the higher idle power consumption Techpowerup.com is reporting would cost me a little less than 10 Euro extra a year. Not a dealbreaker although the money adds up when I keep the card for a couple of years.

I have also thought about buying a smaller card like a Radeon 7770, 7850 or 7870. Or a Geforce 660. If I chose one of those I could save a few euro's more. But I decided to spend some of my hard earned money on a Sapphire Vapor-X 7950 even if I'm not that big gamer. I want a good and quiet card and the offer I got was so good that I could not say no :)

Thanks a lot for doing a second test on the power consumption. You are crazy in a good way for taking time in doing this. I think I will do some experiments if I can get a stable card while undervolting it a bit. I'm looking for forward for next weekend. Right now I have a PC based on a 7 year old AMD Athlon 64 with 1 GB RAM and a 5670 graphics card !!! The new graphics card together with a new Ivy Bridge setup will be a HUGE change :D

I wouldn't be nickle and diming power consumption with the AMD's That Zerocore is some slick tech.

I have Aida64 monitoring "Everything" on my G15's LCD. I of course have my GPU temp and Fan Speed on my "Main Screen" I STILL think it's SUPER COOL BEANS!! When the cards info DISAPPEARS off my screen. ZEROCORE!!:rockout: The Card literally shiut right down, Fans and all. :cool:

W1z I don't think your monitoring that are you? It's certainly not the Idle figures is it?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
ZeroCore is about 1 Watt for all cards. Great technology. It has a few minor gotchas like sometimes it doesn't engage when stuff is drawing to the screen, but if you let your PC running overnight without actively using it, it will make a huge difference. Better choice is to just turn off the PC, but lately I'm too lazy for that, too.

Idle in our testing not only reflects 100% idle, but also most desktop work like office, browsing etc.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
ZeroCore is about 1 Watt for all cards. Great technology. It has a few minor gotchas like sometimes it doesn't engage when stuff is drawing to the screen, but if you let your PC running overnight without actively using it, it will make a huge difference. Better choice is to just turn off the PC, but lately I'm too lazy for that, too.

Idle in our testing not only reflects 100% idle, but also most desktop work like office, browsing etc.

Yeah that's what I thought. Yep it still impresses me.:eek: Can't say I have had any glitches I can think of, But yeah I go thru phases were it gets left on for a week. Then I may only use
it couple hours the whole next week

It's really an underrated/under advertised feature. I mean sure it pushes a few more watts under load than it's NV competitor but when it can literally just go to sleep and use next to nothing Nvidia has nothing to counter that with and those couple extra watts aren't as significant if you say tallied up consumption for the cards for say a month of being left on 24/7 and getting regular use.

Since we're all baring our souls here…

Here's one thing I'd like all reviews to capture nowadays when it come to power consumption. I'd like to see the average watts of the gaming run when actually playing, or doing the FpS runs. While each card runs that game the watt's are collected, averaged and presented. While then that can along with each/all the titles be averaged, providing a more tangible power consumption during all gaming.

With all the dynamic clock and boost being exploited it's hard with one title or synthetic stress to paint a clear picture of performance to watt. I've seen that when done like that there's not a clear winner (brand) provides any huge advantage anymore in the competing class.

More Data… mo Data.. give me data! Never anything wrong with that! :D

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Here's one thing I'd like all reviews to capture nowadays when it come to power consumption. I'd like to see the average watts of the gaming run when actually playing, or doing the FpS runs. While each card runs that game the watt's are collected, averaged and presented. While then that can along with each/all the titles be averaged, providing a more tangible power consumption during all gaming.

Would that give a correct picture considering that some cards will run a given bench at more or less FPS? Some benches run constant time, some run longer on a slower card. Thoughts?

I think you are asking for energy (Joules) consumes. Watts are defines as Joules per second, add up and multiple by bench runtime -> Joules. But same thing

Edit: Or are you looking for power consumption graph over time? Will be kinda difficult to present with all our benches at 4 resolutions

thats gpu voltage for all tests at just 1 resolution, image that 4x as crowded.. will be hard to see much

Last edited:
I might say this could just be a separate review that breaks-out just a few cards to see how relative the power consumption of these new dynamic/boost clock react. Just a few of the higher end cards (670/680 and 7950/7970) and then at just 1920x, 2560x, and 5760x.

Would that give a correct picture considering that some cards will run a given bench at more or less FPS?
I would think it would isn't that a true performance to power consumption? How is Perf/watt you shown now calculated? Is it just "Summary FPS" versus your "Peak" (Crysis 2 at 1920x1200)? If that's the case your Perf/watt is not a not at all relative now-a-days. Or that Perf/watt just what the card(s) running (Cyrsis 2 @ 1920x) which provides just one true collaborating value.

Some benches run constant time, some run longer on a slower card. Thoughts?
Yes straight up FPS doesn’t really take into consideration in time/duration aspect? If a card takes 6 more seconds, but is way faster is that a manifested by FpS… not always. I suppose that’s why other review’s plot the frame times, latency, and 99th percentile.

Or are you looking for power consumption graph over time? Will be kinda difficult to present with all our benches at 4 resolutions
Nope, but can’t that graph be output as the average maybe better the "mean" and that would give a relative number against another card ran in the same test?

nanonimo

hello, finally i created an account in this fabulous page. I read your page daily. I decided to buy this card a few weeks ago becouse it was the best option for the money i could spend in my area. I don't know if i'm doing something wrong with it, today i switched to the second bios to rise the clocks speed to 950 mhz, but it still has the clock speed at 850 mhz and it should has 950 mhz by default while gaming, doesn't it?

Thank you, and sorry for my english :p i'm from spain

tt_martin

@nanonimo, everything is ok. 850Mhz is your core clock, but 950Mhz is Boost Clock. It enables when it's necessary. Check GPU-Z while gaming.

nanonimo

@nanonimo, everything is ok. 850Mhz is your core clock, but 950Mhz is Boost Clock. It enables when it's necessary. Check GPU-Z while gaming.

Ok thank you! this are the images of the gpu-Z, are they correct? i never saw the clock speed at 950, so it means the gpu has never needed higher clock speed... i play at full hd at maximoun detail.

Attachments

• Captura 1.JPG
    Captura 1.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 655
  • captura 2.JPG
    captura 2.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:

loc

Just installed my 7950 vapor-x and have to say I am disappointed at the noise and the heat. Unigine Heaven run raises the temps to 85C when the whole system crashes and fan blows at 70% which makes really nasty noise.. not sure whats up with the card. I've not even used the overclock button.

edit: I found the culprit. When the amd's gpu boost was working it also increased the gpu voltage up to 1.25v which caused heating up. As that happened card also hit the power limit and lowered the gpu clocks as well resulting worse fps and massive heat. I turned on the cards gpu boost button which essentially disables the amd gpu boots and increases the clocks to fixed 950MHz. After this the gpu speed remains constantly at 950MHz with 1.056v and temperatures below 65C with auto fan. Seems amd's driver based gpu boost needs still some work.

Last edited:

billcat479

Billcat- that was too long of a post to read:wtf:, but on a point- performance numbers will always have variables whether they are .0001% or higher. What is posted is the average a user would get from such a system. I understand most don't read the entire review but it would be recommended to because system spec details, that is where the variables come in I recall the test bed was a core i7 920 but it switched to a core i7 2600 several months back.

To you and everyone, I really am very sorry about my long posts. I can't seem to help it though. I got a fixation that I have to put everything up there so everyone knows why I have this or that view on a topic.
Again, very very sorry I am a radical poster.. I think it was because my brain is a bit out of whack after I got hit by a car and got a lot of resulting brain damage so I'm a flake at times.
It also blew my IQ from the 150's to the 130's so to me I'm stupid. I used to work for Intel at their Fab4 plant in Beaverton, Or. and now I eat oxycodon (for those that don't know it's a very strong narcotic) for horrible headaches and just play games and forget everything. I'm a lot like that guy in that House show. A missrable SOB.
The only fun part of forgetting all the time is I get to re-read the lord of the rings hundreds of times and enjoy it as much each time. I think I have read Ringworld 2 or 3 hundred times as I just love that story too.. hehehe.... Weird huh? Or the Foundation series or the Lensman series ect ect...............

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
I had a few issues with the ghz bios for 7950 [it worked but ran hotter and bsod occasionally], using original atm.
Great review and thankyou!!!
It really seems like the results are often dependent on which brand [nv or amd] the game is optomised for[far as i can see], but those are some great results in metro and sniper, glad i got one even though its ref, it was cheap, and i don't think having 3gb mem and 384bit bus hurts either.

Last edited:

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
To you and everyone, I really am very sorry about my long posts. I can't seem to help it though. I got a fixation that I have to put everything up there so everyone knows why I have this or that view on a topic.
Again, very very sorry I am a radical poster.. I think it was because my brain is a bit out of whack after I got hit by a car and got a lot of resulting brain damage so I'm a flake at times.
It also blew my IQ from the 150's to the 130's so to me I'm stupid. I used to work for Intel at their Fab4 plant in Beaverton, Or. and now I eat oxycodon (for those that don't know it's a very strong narcotic) for horrible headaches and just play games and forget everything. I'm a lot like that guy in that House show. A missrable SOB.
The only fun part of forgetting all the time is I get to re-read the lord of the rings hundreds of times and enjoy it as much each time. I think I have read Ringworld 2 or 3 hundred times as I just love that story too.. hehehe.... Weird huh? Or the Foundation series or the Lensman series ect ect...............

Forgive for off topic here pls,

You sound like a clever fella, hope you get over the oxy shit, no offence, but your probably smarter than that aye?

Since you posted this, i'm going to offer you my 2 bob advice , get a project going;), show what you can do?:eek:
p.s. azimov is gr8.:)

System Name Black Killing Machine
Processor Delidded NO IHS mount Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-OC
Cooling Swiftech DIR655 pump, Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ 79X0 Ni-Bl gpu, DT SNIPER CPU block, UT60 420 RAD
Memory Gskill Trident 2400mhz CL9 Samsung IC9
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE HD7950 OC 950mhz Edition, VaporX HD7950
Storage 2xM4 Crucial 64GB RAID 0, 1 OCZ AGILILITY 3 60GB, WDCB 500GB x2RAID0, WD Green, Hitachi 1TB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW and 24" 120hz BenQ gamer
Case SilverStone Raven rv-02
Audio Device(s) Audio Technica ATH-AD900 headphones, Topping D2 DAC/Headphone AMP
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 860
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/sonda5/ Delidding is magic. http://valid.canardpc.com/2878462
This card design has been changed since this review came out.

System Name Black Killing Machine
Processor Delidded NO IHS mount Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-OC
Cooling Swiftech DIR655 pump, Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ 79X0 Ni-Bl gpu, DT SNIPER CPU block, UT60 420 RAD
Memory Gskill Trident 2400mhz CL9 Samsung IC9
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE HD7950 OC 950mhz Edition, VaporX HD7950
Storage 2xM4 Crucial 64GB RAID 0, 1 OCZ AGILILITY 3 60GB, WDCB 500GB x2RAID0, WD Green, Hitachi 1TB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW and 24" 120hz BenQ gamer
Case SilverStone Raven rv-02
Audio Device(s) Audio Technica ATH-AD900 headphones, Topping D2 DAC/Headphone AMP
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 860
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/sonda5/ Delidding is magic. http://valid.canardpc.com/2878462
I think I just found a major weakness for over clocking with the heat sink design.

Memory makes contact directly with the main Dual X heat sink.

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_7950_Vapor-X/images/cooler2_small.jpg

I think this design has some win an lose at the same time. This heat sink will get soaked with heat when over clocking the memory and gpu core with this design.

SPiDERR

Software for overclocking

Can someone recommend some software for overclocking (overclocking and testing of stability)? I recently bought the Vapor-X 7950 OC and I am preparing my self for Crysis 3. I tried to overclock via CCC but the game was pretty much unstable. The system crashes messed up my mainboard BIOS.
So, please, can someone give me some suggestion how to safely overclock this GPU? THX

Processor intel i5 2500k,atom280@1930mhz
Motherboard msi h61
Cooling i have cooler master V8 but now im on stock :P
Memory team group elite 2x2 1600 @1333 7 7 7 20
Video Card(s) sapphere 5850 toxic@900/1250
Storage WD 1TB green 5400 32mb ,WD 250gb 7200/8mb
Display(s) HP 22" 1680x1050 hdmi
Case asus vento
Audio Device(s) creative XFi fatality+creative gigaworksG500 5.1
Power Supply cooler master gx 750
Software win7,64bit
Can someone recommend some software for overclocking (overclocking and testing of stability)? I recently bought the Vapor-X 7950 OC and I am preparing my self for Crysis 3. I tried to overclock via CCC but the game was pretty much unstable. The system crashes messed up my mainboard BIOS.
So, please, can someone give me some suggestion how to safely overclock this GPU? THX

HI i wanted to buy this card but i saw some reviews suggesting high vrm temps because of bad contact cooling http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?284714-Sapphire-HD7950-3GB-Vapor-X-Review

i need someone to confirm