• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Valve's first hardware beta starting by next year

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6

When asked what the team’s immediate goals are, she obliquely states, “To make Steam games more fun to play in your living room.” That’s the team’s one-year goal, at least. The challenge is making games that require a mouse and keyboard palatable to people who are used to a controller, or to people who just don’t want to migrate PC controls to the comfort of their living room. Working in tandem with Steam’s newly beta’d “Big Picture Mode,” Ellsworth’s team is creating a hardware solution to the control barriers found in many Steam games.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/valve-hardware-jeri-ellsworth/

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
http://d1vr6n66ssr06c.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/00132.jpg

When asked what the team’s immediate goals are, she obliquely states, “To make Steam games more fun to play in your living room.” That’s the team’s one-year goal, at least. The challenge is making games that require a mouse and keyboard palatable to people who are used to a controller, or to people who just don’t want to migrate PC controls to the comfort of their living room. Working in tandem with Steam’s newly beta’d “Big Picture Mode,” Ellsworth’s team is creating a hardware solution to the control barriers found in many Steam games.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/valve-hardware-jeri-ellsworth/

Uhm, they ever heard of xpadder, pinnacle profiler, etc? I emulate M&K all the time on my controller..
Can be done in reverse with existing software/hardware.
Good move though on valves part.. Once you have momentum, keep it..

Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I for one think that the "Big Picture Mode" itself implemented in the Steam platform is a good idea. However, if they decide to compete with the likes of Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony by becoming another player in the console race, I can only see it hurting the evolution of PC gaming. Steam is the biggest PC gaming platform the industry has ever since it began moving away from physical disks and integrating more with digital distribution. I just think they should stick with the Big Picture Mode and leave it at that. Please Valve, do not jump in with these sharks, you'll eventually become one too. The only thing I can correlate with in regards to PC gaming is the word Steam. Same with Nintendo, people correlate the name with console video games.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Although I cringe at the thought of them trusting a former hacker to run their hardware team (esp considering one having stolen the code to HL2 is why Steam exists) and saying nothing is off the table regarding controller support, I have to admit it makes me wonder if they'll be the ones that FINALLY improve the tired old gamepad design so that those of us whom HATE aiming with a slow and clumsy mini toggle can actually USE one.

Then again, the reverse worse case scenario could happen, Valve ending up catering more to console type controls than KB/M.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
Meh ... Instead of making existing games more fun to play in the living room, how about they start making new games that are more fun to play, period.

Just my 2¢

I have been feeling that for a long time, the prettier these games get the more alot of developers become more lax on making fun games period, I am finding myself more and more enjoying indie cheap 10 dollar games more than the ones from the others.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Meh ... Instead of making existing games more fun to play in the living room, how about they start making new games that are more fun to play, period.

Just my 2¢

Just a BS excuse to do this...

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64

Just my 2¢

Making a game fun to play in the livingroom opens up a HUGE selection of games for those people who want to play with their girlfriends. Why spend money on crappy new console games when there are more unique, better thought out games already created.

As to making games that are more fun to play, well, that is an opinion thing. I'd argue there are quite a few good ones out there right now.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
Why is Big Picture Mode so interesting? Because Valve is at the cusp of possibily becoming one of the biggest content providers on the planet.

Steam already has the infrastructure to distribute any and all forms of content. All of their trailers and movies are available to be streamed or downloaded through Steam. Many game soundtracks are available to purchase and download through Steam. A vast amount of modern games are console ports which have native support of Microsoft's Xbox 360 controller. Pretty soon Steam may be a one stop shop for all of your entertainment needs, AND once the kinks are worked out, you'll be able to control it all though an off the shelf Xbox 360 controller.

And you can use it all with a custom built machine made up of spare parts laying around the house, or you can spend money to build a computer specifically for that purpose.

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
As to making games that are more fun to play, well, that is an opinion thing. I'd argue there are quite a few good ones out there right now.

Your correct for the most part. I think that the numbers are dropping yearly! Not to mention the fact that many of today's PC games are console ported. Granted, the console gaming industry is huge, however there should be a strong concentration on the PC gaming market as well. It just seems that every year there are more poor PC games released and advertised than there are "fun" PC games. It seems the "fun" games are getting less and less each year.

Opinion? Probably, but I am sure if one takes a look at statistics it would probably show this to be true.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Would be cool to have a custom pc with a steam os for tv use. Dual boot of course.

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64
Your correct for the most part. I think that the numbers are dropping yearly! Not to mention the fact that many of today's PC games are console ported. Granted, the console gaming industry is huge, however there should be a strong concentration on the PC gaming market as well. It just seems that every year there are more poor PC games released and advertised than there are "fun" PC games. It seems the "fun" games are getting less and less each year.

Opinion? Probably, but I am sure if one takes a look at statistics it would probably show this to be true.

Again, "fun" is a subjective term. I have a friend who absolutely LOVES to play Sword of the Stars 2. He talks about it constantly. When he asks to play my answer is always 'no' - because that game is absolutely terrible. But not to him!

I'd argue that there are a higher number of games, and more money being spent on creating games this year than ever before. Quick think back a decade, year 2001 - what good PC games came out that year? The top games were:
The Sims
Roller Coaster Tycoon
Diablo 2 expansion pack
followed by three more sims expansions, diablo 2 the game and age of empires
I'll add a few more:
Black and White
Civ 3
Dark age of Camelot
and there were a few good console games like Devil may cry and FFX

What have we had this year?
The darkness 2
Kingdoms of amalur
michael jackson: the experience! :roll::banghead:
mass effect 3
the walking dead
deus ex
diablo 3
civ5 expac
orcs must die 2
guild wars 2
borderlands 2
torchlight 2
more Wow crap
resident evil 6
michael jackson: the experience for MAC :D
and about 50 other games that are sequels/continuations of older games.

Say what you will, but gaming is much better than it was a decade ago. Sure some of us may never be able to capture that nostalgic moment from our childhood where all the stars lined up right and games were perfect. But that's our own fault for growing old and becoming adults.

And the list doesn't include all the games from the last few years that were triple-a titles being sold for $5 on steam. I know a lot of those games were new to me, so semantically they could be included in this year's releases. ;P That is what Steam is trying to do for the rest of the non-kb/m users.

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
Its better in one way, however, i feel theres a bit of a degeneration in the quality of story telling in some recent games.

They have become what i may loosely describe as-"generic"?

Also the difficulty seems easier than it was, what used to take possibly days now takes 5-7 hours to complete [im looking at you cod and bf3].

Im going back searching for old titles now too, as well as knew.
I wish starbreeze would make a sequel to chronicles of riddick, thats one of my all time favs!!
I think the russian games devs are doing some great stuff atm.