• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Black Mesa: Source Gameplay

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
Am I the only one who feels with the changes to the enemy AI BM:S is slightly harder than HL1 was? Could just be my old age catching up to me...

Benetanegia

Am I the only one who feels with the changes to the enemy AI BM:S is slightly harder than HL1 was? Could just be my old age catching up to me...

I don't think so. It's just that modern games are dumbed down.

It's not a complete game so i won't eat my hair :p

Phew, that was a close one hihi...

It's 80% of the game so let me offer you a few suggestions:

I strongly recommend the first one, but it's your choice.

Last edited:
System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
I had to uninstall this last night after lots of frustrations with freezes, crashes, then boatloads of lag at the part where they try and send you to Xen.

That is just the stock mod btw with no add on mods. To be fair, there were some levels where no major problems existed, but in some places it's a joke.

I mean come on guys, you've taken an awfully long time to get this far with it and it's like you haven't learned anything about how to code it properly.

All I have to say is Valve better go over it with a fine tooth comb after it's finished to make sure it passes their standards before offering it on Steam.

Benetanegia

I had to uninstall this last night after lots of frustrations with freezes, crashes, then boatloads of lag at the part where they try and send you to Xen.

That is just the stock mod btw with no add on mods. To be fair, there were some levels where no major problems existed, but in some places it's a joke.

I mean come on guys, you've taken an awfully long time to get this far with it and it's like you haven't learned anything about how to code it properly.

All I have to say is Valve better go over it with a fine tooth comb after it's finished to make sure it passes their standards before offering it on Steam.

Huh, I've had 0 problems with it. Not a single crash, or freeze and performance has alwas been excellent on my GTX460. I wonder what the problem might be with your setup.

System Name JIM LAHEY
Processor CORE I9 9900K
Motherboard ASROCK Z390 TAICHI
Cooling COUGAR HELOR 360 AIO
Memory 32GB TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 ULTRA
Storage SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG STRIX 4K UG27UQR
Case THERMALTAKE VIEW 37
Audio Device(s) STEELSERIES ARCTIS 7 WIRELESS
Power Supply EVGA SUPERNOVA G+ 1000
Mouse STEELSERIES RIVAL 600
Keyboard STEELSERIES APEX 7 TKL
Software WINDOWS 10 ENTERPRISE
Benchmark Scores WUT
About time this came out. I'm to have to download it.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64

No issues here either. Though not sure what you mean by "try and send you to Xen" as that part is not included (after Lambda Core). Of course, I'm not even close to being there myself so maybe I'm missing something here. Though, still, unless a ton of other games old and new run totally problem-free it's got to be your system.

Apparently the folks and ComputerAndVideoGames.com did not have any issue either because here is a glowing review:

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...p-from-some-modders-review/?page=1#top_banner

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
No issues here either. Though not sure what you mean by "try and send you to Xen" as that part is not included (after Lambda Core). Of course, I'm not even close to being there myself so maybe I'm missing something here. Though, still, unless a ton of other games old and new run totally problem-free it's got to be your system.

Apparently the folks and ComputerAndVideoGames.com did not have any issue either because here is a glowing review:

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...p-from-some-modders-review/?page=1#top_banner

I had 4 or 5 crashes myself from the game,Then again I am on WIn8 Pro so oh well.I finished the game today too.What a awesome mod way better then that source version ...Glad i have not bought it.:rockout: I hope when they finish Xen levels we won`t lose our game saves.....

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
By part where they try and send you to Xen, I'm talking about the big laser array room where they attempt to teleport you there before you actually get to Xen.

I think it's safe to say plenty people here have mentioned issues of one kind or another with this mod, but I am wondering if it might be that some of the uploads are corrupt. Like I said earlier, I got a corrupt archive warning when unzipping it with WinRar before installing, and others have mentioned various errors too. Normally when I get a corrupt archive error on a file it won't even extract and install, but since it did I pondered whether WinRar was just misdiagnosing the file, and went ahead and played it anyway.

I have however noticed certain textures now and then flash bright green. Whether that's the mod, the file being corrupt or the 306.23 drivers I just installed, I don't know. I'm running an older GPU (GTS 250 1GB), and once in a while older ones don't jive so well with Nvidia's latest drivers even when they claim they're supported by them.

As far as whether it's my system having problems, as I also stated earlier, when first having severe lag problems with this mod, I exited the game and launch Sleeping Dogs, and it played just fine on a pretty lengthy session. I DID notice however that defragging cleaned up performance again. It's kinda odd that a game running on an engine as old as Source would be so in need of defragging constantly where other more modern and higher resource games are not. I can only assume that means this mod is terrible at writing saves to the page file and/or a result of a corrupt file.

At this point I'm content to wait until they're finished with it and next time DL maybe straight from Steam in hopes to get a more stable file. Although it could indeed be a corrupted file, uploading them properly to the sites they link you to is also part of the responsibility of the mod team, and I don't ever recall getting a corrupt DL from Gamershell before.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Xeon build X58 / Main Rig X79
Processor Intel Xeon x5650 @ 4.2Ghz with HT / Xeon E5 1650 v2 @4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage II Extreme socket 1366 / Asus P9X79 Pro socket 2011
Cooling Thermalright Archon +Ty 140mm|Fans : 2 front-1top-1rear-1bottom/ Gelid Phantom Twin Tower
Memory 16gb DDR3 1600mhz Kingstone Hyper x Quad Channel / 16gb DDR3 1600MHZ Patriot Viper 3
Video Card(s) Sapphire hd 7950 3gb Boost edition dual fan X / ZOTAC 1080 Ti Blower Edition
Storage Kingstone AV400ssd 120gb+Seagate B 2Tb+WD g 1tb+WD g 3tb+WD r 3tb+Seagate B 4tb+Lexar 2Tb NVMe
Display(s) AOC E2460S 24" 1080p 60hz 1ms / LG 32UK550B 32" UHD 4K HDR 10 with Freesync
Case Enermax Phoenix / Fractal Design Arc midi
Audio Device(s) SoundMaxHD+5.1 BHT1100 BLUESKY,Fiio E10 Olympus+SuperluxHD668b+KZ HBB pr2,Superlux E205.
Power Supply Sharkoon WPM Gold Zero 650W semi modular / Corsair RM 850 Fully Modular
Mouse Generic Mice / Corsair M90
Keyboard Generic Keyboard / Microsoft WK600
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 /Windows 10 Pro 64
great mod , now we wait for the xen level xd

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Yeah ok...just making sure you knew you can't actually get to Xen yet as I thought that was more common knowledge than it turned out to be in this thread, at least a couple days ago.

Enemy Ai (especially HECU soldiers) is idiotically overdone. Sure it gives challenge up close but gets on your nerves quickly when you're getting hit by something that looks like 5 moving pixels, 500 kilometers away.
It's especially annoying in We've got hostage (where you get to the surface) and Surface Tension. And the same goes for the AH-64 which can gun your left ball off from 5 kilometers away with the machinegun. Just stupid.
And what's worse, i can't seem to find any working tweaks to dumb down the idiotic robotic distance precision and view of enemy soldiers to some reasonable level. Seems like it's hardcoded somewhere...

Benetanegia

lol I think you are over reacting. I didn't found that problematic at all, quite the opposite. Finally a game where AI is not horrendously short-sighted. Of course I can see people from far far away in real life, why wouldn't a soldier (who probably has a scope or in the worst case binoculars) be able to see a guy on a reflecting orange suit?

HL1/Blackmesa does not have such long distances anyway, it's not as open as other games at all. Now if you were talking about Operation Flashpoint or ARMA I, there I could almost agree.

Well, every thing has it's limits. Seeing me 300m away on an orange rocks background (Surface Tension cliff side) and hit me with same MP5 as i have at that distance as soon as i slowly stick my head out is just plain ridiculous.

And what makes things worse are rock edges and wire fences. Their bullets go through easily, yours don't. Try using the bow, aim over the rock and fire. The dart will hit the rock even though you're aiming OVER it. It's very buggy and annoying.

Original HECU soldiers in HL1 were damn deadly, yet they never behaved like super robots with augmented vision and firing precision of a machine. They behaved like proper human soldiers.

Benetanegia

I disagree completely.

Well, every thing has it's limits. Seeing me 300m away on an orange rocks background (Surface Tension cliff side) and hit me with same MP5 as i have at that distance as soon as i slowly stick my head out is just plain ridiculous.

No, it's not. Seems to me you're just too used to modern stupidly dumbed down games. Besides they are far from as deadly as you describe them. And you can kill them the exact same way as they kill you, just keep shooting and some bullets will hit them, which is what they do. Granted they have infinite ammo and you don't, it's a game.

FYI the effective range of the MP5 is 200m. Maximum range is quite a bit more.

EDIT: Or here:

or even here (no need to expand the image, you should be able to see them):

You can't see those people and shoot them? (as long as the weapon and your skill permits) They're definitely a lot farther away than 300m.

And you can't see that ^^ guy against the "orange" wall?

And what makes things worse are rock edges and wire fences. Their bullets go through easily, yours don't. Try using the bow, aim over the rock and fire. The dart will hit the rock even though you're aiming OVER it. It's very buggy and annoying.

Huh?? It's called gravity.

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I disagree completely.

No, it's not. Seems to me you're just too used to modern stupidly dumbed down games. Besides they are far from as deadly as you describe them. And you can kill them the exact same way as they kill you, just keep shooting and some bullets will hit them, which is what they do. Granted they have infinite ammo and you don't, it's a game.

FYI the effective range of the MP5 is 200m. Maximum range is quite a bit more.

http://www.sitdowndisco.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/people-on-mountain.jpg

You can't see those people and shoot them? (as long as the weapon and your skill permits) They're definitely a lot farther away than 300m.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma0f04elRw1qg52t3o1_500.jpg

And you can't see that ^^ guy against the "orange" wall?

Huh?? It's called gravity.

Depending on the MP5 model it shoots 9mm (Shit round) 10mm. (Zero stopping power) .40 (shaved down 10mm). None of those rounds have any balls to them at range. However a 10mm will reach out and touch ya past 200m. Its got the velocity for it. However any armor will stop em. Hell even a thick jacket will stop a 9mm lol. 10mm will go right through (not good in combat) .40 is ok. Gots the most stopping power without the sacrifice of capacity. Capacity and RPM is where the MP5 shines in CQB. Personally I would rather have a something that shoots .45 ACP like the UMP45. Hell even a Tommy lol.

Last edited:

Benetanegia

Depending on the MP5 model it shoots 9mm (Shit round) 10mm. (Zero stopping power) .40 (shaved down 10mm). None of those rounds have any balls to them at range. However a 10mm will reach out and touch ya past 200m. Its got the velocity for it. However any armor will stop em. Hell even a thick jacket will stop a 9mm lol. 10mm will go right through (not good in combat) .40 is ok. Gots the most stopping power without the sacrifice of capacity. Capacity and RPM is where the MP5 shines in CQB. Personally I would rather have a something that shoots .45 ACP like the UMP45.

In the game they have to hit you 10+ times before they kill you. It's the way simple FPS simulate that sorta thing.

And I think it was said soewhere that it is in fact the 10mm version, or maybe it was the MP7 in HL2. It doesn't really matter anyway, I'm not discussing whether the MP5 is realistic in the game (it's not a war simulator), just that a trained soldier can definitely spot and kill an enemy 300m away. Hell, with the right weapon 800m+ kills have been documented (no sniper).

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Ok.. I'll put my work hat on for a second here (I'm a Combat Arms instructor in the air force) a M9 beretta (fires the 9mm round) max range is 1800m. Thats a 9mm pistol with a maximum range of a little over 1 mile. It's max effective range (Determined by what distance 50% of shooters can effectively engage) is 50m. This is a pistol, an mp5 being a submachine gun offers a better ranged firing platform. And mailman if ud like to wear a heavy jacket and sign a waiver letting me shoot at you with a 9mm round at 200m I guarantee your day will not end well.

Basically what it comes down to is a 9mm round can kill you at 300m. In comparison a 5.56 (out of a M4/M16) maximum range is 3600m, thats a little over 2 miles. Max effective being 500-600m.

Simply put, bullets go far. Bullets kill people. And thats your CATM class for today.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Ok.. I'll put my work hat on for a second here (I'm a Combat Arms instructor in the air force) a M9 beretta (fires the 9mm round) max range is 1800m. Thats a 9mm pistol with a maximum range of a little over 1 mile. It's max effective range (Determined by what distance 50% of shooters can effectively engage) is 50m. This is a pistol, an mp5 being a submachine gun offers a better ranged firing platform. And mailman if ud like to wear a heavy jacket and sign a waiver letting me shoot at you with a 9mm round at 200m I guarantee your day will not end well.

Basically what it comes down to is a 9mm round can kill you at 300m. In comparison a 5.56 (out of a M4/M16) maximum range is 3600m, thats a little over 2 miles. Max effective being 500-600m.

Simply put, bullets go far. Bullets kill people. And thats your CATM class for today.

Ill take that bet any day of the week. Why do you think the ARMY and USMC are scrapping the M9? Hmmmm? 9mm has proven ineffective in combat. Something any reloader could have told ya. You instruct? So have I. Been shooting IDPA and IPSC for years. Whats your point? Ive seen 9mm with less the 1" penetration on ballistic gel. Its not consistent and doesn't have the stopping power.

Oh and by the way the .223 is a varmint round. Not even meant for medium game.

Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Ill take that bet any day of the week. Why do you think the ARMY and USMC are scrapping the M9? Hmmmm? 9mm has proven ineffective in combat. Something any reloader could have told ya. You instruct? So have I. Been shooting IDPA and IPSC for years. Whats your point? Ive seen 9mm with less the 1" penetration on ballistic gel.

Its ineffective in combat because the round will be stopped by body armor at range, you dont use your m9 at range its a reactionary weapon for the o shit moments within 15m.

And their taking it out of service because the M9 is a piece of shit weapon, not the round.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Its ineffective in combat because the round will be stopped by body armor at range, you dont use your m9 at range its a reactionary weapon for the o shit moments within 15m.

And their taking it out of service because the M9 is a piece of shit weapon, not the round.

Yeah well then why not use a 9mm on a M1911 platform? Oh I know! Because 9mm is a shit round.

Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Yeah well then why not use a 9mm on a M1911 platform? Oh I know! Because 9mm is a shit round.

Or because beretta signed a contract with the us government to replace our 1911's with the M9. (Money > Common sense)

How clueless are you?

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Or because beretta signed a contract with the us government to replace our 1911's with the M9. (Money > Common sense)

How clueless are you?

Do you even know why they replaced the 1911 originally? Had NOTHING to do with money. Also you still haven't answered my question. Why are they going back to the 1911 in .45 if the 9mm is such a great round?

Edit: Well?........still reading in wiki?

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Come'on guys, I can hop in the this as well but this thread is about black mesa not how shitty the Beretta or 9mm round is.

Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Do you even know why they replaced the 1911 originally? Had NOTHING to do with money. Also you still haven't answered my question. Why are they going back to the 1911 in .45 if the 9mm is such a great round?

Because of course the 45 offers more stopping power, its a bigger round with more "oomph". (I'd rather have seen them go to a glock, or sig.. the 1911 is a great weapon but past its prime)

The 1911's were replaced with a 9mm pistol because they were worn down and we went the way of NATO to conform with the 9x19mm parabellums that are widely available everywhere.

This entire conversation stems from this

Can a 9mm round kill you at 300m? Yes.
Will it take some rediculous kentucky windage? Yes.
Will it take multiple rounds? Yup.
Will a haji made flak vest stop the round? Yup, but those dont cover your whole body and I wont touch the bruising and chance for internal damage from that as I'm not a doctor.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Because of course the 45 offers more stopping power, its a bigger round with more "oomph". (I'd rather have seen them go to a glock, or sig.. the 1911 is a great weapon but past its prime)

The 1911's were replaced with a 9mm pistol because they were worn down and we went the way of NATO to conform with the 9x19mm parabellums that are widely available everywhere.

This entire conversation stems from this

Can a 9mm round kill you at 300m? Yes.
Will it take some rediculous kentucky windage? Yes.
Will it take multiple rounds? Yup.
Will a haji made flak vest stop the round? Yup, but those dont cover your whole body and I wont touch the bruising and chance for internal damage from that as I'm not a doctor.

9mm killing you at 300m is a wild, WILD reach at best. Head shot and thats not even a sure thing. Anyway we better get back on topic as Brandon said. :toast: