• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Motherboard replaced in laptop - USBs not working

Freecell

Hi all.
About a month(!) ago, I gave my laptop to a repair shop so that they could replace my motherboard. I just got it back today, but it seems like my USB ports aren't working at all. I plug something in and there's no response.
USBs are enabled in the BIOS, I already checked. All drivers are up to date, but I haven't tried uninstalling/reinstalling USB drivers because I'm not confident that I could get them back yet.

I'm wondering, is this possibly a problem with the new motherboard, or is there something I'm just not getting/haven't tried?

For the record, I'm using an Asus laptop and am running Windows 7.
Thanks in advance.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Bring it back to the repair shop.

Freecell

Bring it back to the repair shop.

Yeah, this is about what I figured. It sucks because they held on to it for so long last time, and it takes forever to drive there. I want to see if there are any alternatives before I have to take it back.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
honestly with a laptop, If the motherboard dies its really just best to buy a new laptop due to the price changes.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
If the USB ports happen to be on a daughter board maybe they forgot to plug in the ribbon cable when they were re-assembling it.

Anyway your best bet is to get it back to them as USB ports are natively supported by Windows 7 (no external drivers needed) so I doubt it's a software issue.

Freecell

If the USB ports happen to be on a daughter board maybe they forgot to plug in the ribbon cable when they were re-assembling it.

Anyway your best bet is to get it back to them as USB ports are natively supported by Windows 7 (no external drivers needed) so I doubt it's a software issue.

Damn. Alright, I'll go back to them tomorrow. Hopefully they won't take another month to fix it. Thanks.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
You don't really say what you are trying to connect. I assume the device or devices still function? As in tried them on another PC just to be sure they are working?

If they are functional, sorry to say it, but I would go back to them as well. Otherwise if you get in there and they find out, they likely wont warranty anything they did either.

Freecell

You don't really say what you are trying to connect. I assume the device or devices still function? As in tried them on another PC just to be sure they are working?

If they are functional, sorry to say it, but I would go back to them as well. Otherwise if you get in there and they find out, they likely wont warranty anything they did either.

Yeah, I tried a pair of USB headphones I've been using recently and a couple USB sticks I use all the time for university. I'm sure it's not what I'm hooking up. Thanks for the thought, though.

It's just impossible for me to understand how they could charge so much and take so long to give me something that isn't working properly. I think I need to find a better repair shop next time.