• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Recognized for Exemplary Corporate Responsibility with Listings on the Dow Jones

i bought nvidia at 34 .. cured from stock market since then :p

Hmmm...

Do you work for Nvidia or on there Board of Directors ?
If you follow there trades they made out like bandits since last year selling there stock.

Brooke Seawell
50,000 shares sold almost half her shares.

William Miller
330,000 shares sold

Jay Puri
541,717 shares sold

Harvey Jones
204,795 shares sold

James Gaither
315,000 shares sold

Tench Coxe
162,338 shares sold

Mark Perry
175,000 shares sold

Just to provide some perspective in shares sold by company members or board of directors in the last 12months

AMD

NVIDIA

If you want to make some money just keep track of stock dumps by people in the company that hold high positions.

<Cha>$$$>Ching<

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
I just don't get all the hype people raise over AMD's choices. Bank of america has laid off thousands more that AMD will. Many other companies in different and similar business markets have done the same thing over the last few years. It's a tough time for a lot of companies, albeit that some fare better than others.

I think this speculation that AMD is on it's way out is completely false. Despite the poor earnings and the stock drops, AMD is still a performing company. They most certainly need some upper management changes, but like all companies feeling financial woes, they adjust and try different things.

I also disagree with people segregating AMD's chip and gpu chip departments. It's all AMD now. Has been since 2006 whether the ATI name was there or not. AMD makes decent and powerful top end graphics cards. Personally i switched from Nvidia because the cards i got either died or just seemed sub par. I own 7970's now, and love them, and i've gone toe to toe with many a friends 680 and 680 sli setups, and still haven't seen a competitor come out on top. AMD makes decent mid to low end cpu's, decent APU's and stellar graphics. That's AMD in a nutshell.

Why don't we as techies, nerds, geeks, celler dwellers, sys admins, programers, graphic artists, and all the other various genre's stand behind these companies and hope for the best, because you all know that no competition is never good for business and if AMD goes by the wayside.. We'll all be paying more, intel, amd, nvdia, alike

It all boils down to profitablity. By restructuring and making them profitable will do 3 things.

• Raise the worth of the company and stocks
  • make it more attractive for someone to buy
  • Both

Piledriver(Vishera) may put AMD back on the map if the performance is what it looks like.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Overpaying by 100% for the worth of the company sound like good business sense to you? You MUST work for Rory or a vendor, because even AMD say AMD overpaid for ATI. And the debt they incurred...well, they're still paying it off. Of course what the f**k would they have done with all that interest repayment otherwise- spend it on some bullshit like R&D, or keep their fabs, or not have to sell their handheld graphics IP to Qualcomm ? Nah, you're right- better to pour money into debt servicing.

so haveing your Ip in a quarter of the worlds(or more) igpu isnt going to end up good business practice??

so opening up your subsiduary fabs up to open investement and outside workflow yet retaining manufactureing options with them is also not good business practice, some see these things differently clearly:)

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
so haveing your Ip in a quarter of the worlds(or more) igpu isnt going to end up good business practice??
Not when you pay close to $6bn for something worth near $3bn, and especially not when there is only one suitor for the business.
It sounds less like good business practice than a form of mental retardation...especially when a chunk of that IP was sold for relative peanuts to a company who seem to be making good use of it...IP that AMD are wishing they hadn't let go.
Of course, if overpaying for IP and selling the same IP for a fraction of it's worth is business excellence, it kind of makes you wonder why Hector Ruiz and Dirk Meyer got axed.
so opening up your subsiduary fabs up to open investement and outside workflow yet retaining manufactureing options with them is also not good business practice, some see these things differently clearly:)
The fabs that AMD paid for Globalfoundries to take off their hands ?

Let me guess, AMD went from a relatively healthy business in 2006 to a basket case in 2012 because of their astute business sense?...
Thanks for the laughs. You, Themailman and xzibitroll should take your show on the road

System Name SolarwindMobile
Processor AMD FX-9800P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G
Motherboard Acer Wasp_BR
Cooling It's Copper.
Memory 2 x 8GB SK Hynix/HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF
Video Card(s) ATI/AMD Radeon R7 Series (Bristol Ridge FP4) [ACER]
Storage TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 1TB + KINGSTON RBU-SNS8152S3128GG2 128 GB
Display(s) ViewSonic XG2401 SERIES
Case Acer Aspire E5-553G
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC255
Power Supply PANASONIC AS16A5K
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard Ducky Channel Shine 3
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit (Version 1607, Build 14393.969)
It kind of makes you wonder why Hector Ruiz and Dirk Meyer got axed.
Hector Ruiz: Rumors of inside trading. (Told people that AMD was selling its foundries, etc to get a profit)
Dirk Meyer: Relaxed research & development and product roadmaps.

Hector Ruiz should have given up his CEO position to let Jen-Hsun Huang take over when they were planning to acquire Nvidia.
Dirk Meyer should have released Bulldozer and Bobcat when the development of the two architectures ended in 2007.

Last edited:
System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
Hector Ruiz: Rumors of inside trading. (Told people that AMD was selling its foundries, etc to get a profit)
Didn't the rumour also include ol' Hector cutting a deal with the SEC - so technically he'd be an insider trader and an informer ?
Dirk Meyer: Relaxed research & development and product roadmaps.
Which included axing mobile development if I'm not mistaken...and AMD's new thrust into profitability is aimed at...

Somehow I'm not altogether sure Hector and Dirk's antic's bolster the opinion that Sunnyvale is a centre for business management excellence.
My privet reality? :laugh:
I think a privet reality would be:

Freudian slip?
You just cannot stand the fact AMD has been recognized
Don't care tbh. I pointed out the fact that the DJSI is largely determined by company provided information including internal bias. Do I care that AMD have been on the DJSI for eight years- no I do not. Would I trade eight years worth of meaningless awards for a stronger company providing competition in every sector they compete in- yes. In a heartbeat.
So, I'll leave the apologists to indulge in a group circle jerk over some pointless accolade.
Personally, I'd like the BoD to show some accountability for turning AMD from an A-list company into also-ran...but since in the eyes of some, all their financial missteps are in fact a cunning grand strategy, and of course the stated willingness to buy any AMD product regardless of its quality, there probably isn't much need for the BoD to change anything.

Last edited: