• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Mod Build, Wooden Desk, Project Log

TheNamezAustin

Hi every one, happy to see that you are interested in my first custom build. I'm a junior in high school, and I work part time at my local grocery store, so patience is a must for this build. Slowly it will come together, limited time and funding going to slow me down more than I would like. But the holiday seasons coming and I hope that my family will be generous. :laugh:

To start I've been playing around quite a bit with sketchup, and I've got in my opinion some pretty good models coming along.

Closed up.

Opened up.

Wiring Space

It's a start to get an idea of what I want to do. I'm probably going to the lumber yard on Monday, probably going to go with a nice pine, or if any one else has a suggestion.

More updates to come, a plus for this project is that I might get some people around school interested in computers. Where I'm from people are not too tech savvy, but they all are interested in learning. And I don't think any of the people who really want to be into computers know how to get into it (i.e. getting an alien ware for Christmas). Just want to get my hobby more know around town. + It's a huge space saver, and a reason to get water cooling :) and a new video card.

Any questions or suggestions please post. I'll always be checking.

l3p

System Name L3p D3sk
Processor Intel Core i9 7980Xe
Motherboard ASUS Rampage Extreme VI
Cooling H2o
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 64GB 3400Mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X (Pascal) 12GB
Storage Intel 750 Pci-e 1.2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG348Q 34" Gsync
Case Aluminium plate 2000x1000x3
Audio Device(s) Bose QC 35II
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Finalmouse Lightweight Pro
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/community/user/l3p?tab=submissions
The sketchup is looking great, can't wait to see where this is going :)

System Name The White Breeze||Medion Akoya Ultrabook
Processor i7-3770k||Core i5-3317U
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPOWER||Laptop?
Cooling Custom TEC waterloop||Laptop?
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 2133MHz||8GB SDRAM
Video Card(s) 2X SLI MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning||Intel 4000
Storage Corsair GT 120GB, WD Caviar Black 1TB||500GB HDD with 32gb MSATA cache
Display(s) Samsung U28D590D 4k||14" LED
Case NZXT Switch 810||Laptop shell?
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi surround pro 5.1||Dolby Home Theatre V4
Power Supply Seasonic XP-860 Platinum||Laptop Power Brick
Software Windows 7||Windows 8
Looks awesome! You could also try using cherry wood or mahogany, They look very nice, and hold up well. Just remember one thing with your water cooling, make sure that your res is higher then your pump.

Maybe another thing that would be nice, (I would draw this idea up in CAD for you, but I left my school comp at school... :p) Instead of having the hole for cables coming up.

What you do is cut out a small rectangular shape ontop, near the back, maybe 250mm by 100mm. Just sand the edges, so there is a small space between the piece of wood and the hole, but sand the edge that is facing towards you more, by maybe 20mm. Then attach a hinge on the end that is facing away. Then on the edge that is facing towards you, attach a long strip of brush, where the cables can come out.

I can try and make a render for you of this idea, or find a picture.

ps. All bow down to the desk mod god, l3p!

Last edited:

TheNamezAustin

Looks awesome! You could also try using cherry wood or mahogany, They look very nice, and hold up well. Just remember one thing with your water cooling, make sure that your res is higher then your pump.

Maybe another thing that would be nice, (I would draw this idea up in CAD for you, but I left my school comp at school... :p) Instead of having the hole for cables coming up.

What you do is cut out a small rectangular shape ontop, near the back, maybe 250mm by 100mm. Just sand the edges, so there is a small space between the piece of wood and the hole, but sand the edge that is facing towards you more, by maybe 20mm. Then attach a hinge on the end that is facing away. Then on the edge that is facing towards you, attach a long strip of brush, where the cables can come out.

I can try and make a render for you of this idea, or find a picture.

ps. All bow down to the desk mod god, l3p!

Yeah i was thinking about where i was going to put my res. I have no idea. Where it could be placed. I could cut a whole and place the pump where my wires will go. leave the res where its at. Should i put my res as part of my loop or with a t. I've seen it different ways.

You are going to want to use sheet goods with wood accents as opposed to using strictly dimensional lumber.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
you want to buy plywood, good plywood, @ like $30 a 4x8 sheet, rather than buying 2x4's(dimensional).

Heh.

TheNamezAustin

you want to buy plywood, good plywood, @ like $30 a 4x8 sheet, rather than buying 2x4's(dimensional).

Heh.

Yeah that's what I thought he meant, I guess I could do that with stud spacing for extra stability. That was my only worry with using plywood of any sort. Unless I find something at the local lumber store that would make things a bit easier. But yeah, my original plans were to use 2x8's and trim them down to size via table saw.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
good expensive plywood is actually pretty decent stuff. You're probably sitting or standing on a bunch of the mid-grade stuff, too, since many house in North America use plywood construction.

in a 4x8 sheet, plywood is actaully stronger than a sheet of "true wood" of equal thickness, since plywood uses criss-crossed layers that add strength.

Spend a good penny, and take the time to pick your sheets out, and you'll have some awesome-looking wood.

To deal with edges, you can get iron-on(or similar) veneer, or use dimensional wood for edges.

You could easily buy 3 sheets of plywood, a bit veneer, and spend $150. At least, locally. Does that sound like cheapo wood?

TheNamezAustin

good expensive plywood is actually pretty decent stuff. You're probably sitting or standing on a bunch of the mid-grade stuff, too, since many house in North America use plywood construction.

in a 4x8 sheet, plywood is actaully stronger than a sheet of "true wood" of equal thickness, since plywood uses criss-crossed layers that add strength.

Spend a good penny, and take the time to pick your sheets out, and you'll have some awesome-looking wood.

To deal with edges, you can get iron-on(or similar) veneer, or use dimensional wood for edges.

You could easily buy 3 sheets of plywood, a bit veneer, and spend $150. At least, locally. Does that sound like cheapo wood?

Yeah I think I may go with 3/4 inch ply wood, also going to make a cleaner model, now that I know what how I'm going about this and what my dimensions are more or less.

also I'm not going to skimp out wood if im housing a $1000 computer and $500 water cooling system lol.

Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi surround pro 5.1||Dolby Home Theatre V4
What you could do, this is just aesthetical preference, is if you are getting a tube res, you could put it above the desk, next to your screen, as that would look pretty cool.

TheNamezAustin

What you could do, this is just aesthetical preference, is if you are getting a tube res, you could put it above the desk, next to your screen, as that would look pretty cool.

Yeah I had that in the back of my mind too. Gunna work on the model when I get off of work I. About 4 hours.

TheNamezAustin

Did a much better model. Now that I'm semi familiar with sketch up, i got the dimensions exactly how I want, and did the right components making it easier to make changes. getting my new motherboard sometime next week, if my paycheck is right :respect:

Last edited:
Your desk top should have reveal all the way around the carcass, usually it's an inch and a quarter. Take a look at other pieces of furniture around your house, you will see what I mean. This is done not only for looks, but also for fudging purposes. It may seem simple enough but flushing a top exactly with a carcass is not an easy task. Also, usually this nosing reveal is made of solid wood to hide the stratified looking edges of the ply top.

TheNamezAustin

Your desk top should have reveal all the way around the carcass, usually it's an inch and a quarter. Take a look at other pieces of furniture around your house, you will see what I mean. This is done not only for looks, but also for fudging purposes. It may seem simple enough but flushing a top exactly with a carcass is not an easy task. Also, usually this nosing reveal is made of solid wood to hide the stratified looking edges of the ply top.

I think I know what you mean, but my glass is going to on the edges, going to veneer the edges and put some rubber stoppers between the veneer and glass. Get what I'm saying?

TheNamezAustin

Veneer is less than a 1/16 of an inch thick.

I think one of us is lost. This is what I'm looking at,

\

I believe your looking at something like this

That was my original idea, but I would rater let the glass rest on it, the glass is going to be 1/2 inch thick so it should hold its self down for the most part. And the veneer will do a good job of covering up the nasty part of the ply wood.

TheNamezAustin

Well I was going buy plywood today, but of course, my kitten gets sick. So thats half my paycheck gone to the kitten. Yeah vet prices. So hopefully next week... or possibly buying some wood with my little money left.

Hope the kitten gets better :)
Can't wait to see this build, I always like combination desk/computers. But with the glass, this is gonna be cool.

System Name New Build - Oct. 2021
Processor Intel i7 10700k
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming H570-PRO
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Corsair Vengence 16gb 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3060ti 8gb
Storage 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO NvMe m.2
Display(s) 27" LG Ultragear 144hz
Case Fractal Design- Meshify 2
Audio Device(s) Onborad dts
Power Supply Corsair RX 650 W
Mouse Roccat Kiro
Keyboard Razer Tarantula
Software Windows 10 Home x64
The draft is look'in good so far! I love desk mods and I don't see very many of them. The first pc-desk I saw was MoonPig's Desk Mod :D which he built back in 09', then later went water cooling. There was one guy on the forums (L .. something) who constructed the most inspiring deskmod ever! but I can find it.:ohwell:

Anyway yeah, Subbed! Can't wait to see what becomes of your desk project TNA :)

TheNamezAustin

The draft is look'in good so far! I love desk mods and I don't see very many of them. The first pc-desk I saw was MoonPig's Desk Mod :D which he built back in 09', then later went water cooling. There was one guy on the forums (L .. something) who constructed the most inspiring deskmod ever! but I can find it.:ohwell:

Anyway yeah, Subbed! Can't wait to see what becomes of your desk project TNA :)

The l3p d3sk was actually my inspiration, I don't have the money and resources of course to make mine as nice as his of course, but I'll try:D

System Name New Build - Oct. 2021
Processor Intel i7 10700k
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming H570-PRO
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Corsair Vengence 16gb 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3060ti 8gb
Storage 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO NvMe m.2
Display(s) 27" LG Ultragear 144hz
Case Fractal Design- Meshify 2
Audio Device(s) Onborad dts
Power Supply Corsair RX 650 W
Mouse Roccat Kiro
Keyboard Razer Tarantula
Software Windows 10 Home x64

TheNamezAustin

So it might be looking like i may just be building this computer from the ground up, the only remnant from my current rig will probably be my hard drive. Never really realized I was running a first gen i5, so I'm probably going to be saving up to get the mobo, and might as well save that little bit more for the i7. With a 680 on my mind and corsair dominator ram on my mind, this could take a while to get all my components in order. The only thing I wont be buying again is my power supply, harddrive, and diskdrive. There is pros and cons to this. Pros, I can wait and see what new technology is coming out if any within the next month or so, also the pc it self will overall be a better computer. Cons, heavily delays the time in which this build will take.

What do you guys think, should I work on the build piece by piece or wait and see, save, and order everything at once. I'm leaning towards saving and buying at once (this might be good with holiday sells coming in)... one thing I can say for sure is its time to ask the boss for some double shifts on the weekends :D