• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Mod Build, Wooden Desk, Project Log

System Name The White Breeze||Medion Akoya Ultrabook
Processor i7-3770k||Core i5-3317U
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPOWER||Laptop?
Cooling Custom TEC waterloop||Laptop?
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 2133MHz||8GB SDRAM
Video Card(s) 2X SLI MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning||Intel 4000
Storage Corsair GT 120GB, WD Caviar Black 1TB||500GB HDD with 32gb MSATA cache
Display(s) Samsung U28D590D 4k||14" LED
Case NZXT Switch 810||Laptop shell?
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi surround pro 5.1||Dolby Home Theatre V4
Power Supply Seasonic XP-860 Platinum||Laptop Power Brick
Software Windows 7||Windows 8
So it might be looking like i may just be building this computer from the ground up, the only remnant from my current rig will probably be my hard drive. Never really realized I was running a first gen i5, so I'm probably going to be saving up to get the mobo, and might as well save that little bit more for the i7. With a 680 on my mind and corsair dominator ram on my mind, this could take a while to get all my components in order. The only thing I wont be buying again is my power supply, harddrive, and diskdrive. There is pros and cons to this. Pros, I can wait and see what new technology is coming out if any within the next month or so, also the pc it self will overall be a better computer. Cons, heavily delays the time in which this build will take.

What do you guys think, should I work on the build piece by piece or wait and see, save, and order everything at once. I'm leaning towards saving and buying at once (this might be good with holiday sells coming in)... one thing I can say for sure is its time to ask the boss for some double shifts on the weekends :D
I think it would be good to just get the desk, done and built. Then after christmas, after all the companies are trying to get rid of their old stock, buy your parts.

TheNamezAustin

I think it would be good to just get the desk, done and built. Then after christmas, after all the companies are trying to get rid of their old stock, buy your parts.

Yeah defiantly, still going to built the desk some of the desk, I don't want screw it all together then have that situation where the motherboard doesn't fit like I thought it would or anything like that. I just want everything to fit perfectly and nice. Buy as for basic cuts and installing where I want to put my fans.

System Name The White Breeze||Medion Akoya Ultrabook
Processor i7-3770k||Core i5-3317U
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPOWER||Laptop?
Cooling Custom TEC waterloop||Laptop?
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 2133MHz||8GB SDRAM
Video Card(s) 2X SLI MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning||Intel 4000
Storage Corsair GT 120GB, WD Caviar Black 1TB||500GB HDD with 32gb MSATA cache
Display(s) Samsung U28D590D 4k||14" LED
Case NZXT Switch 810||Laptop shell?
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi surround pro 5.1||Dolby Home Theatre V4
Power Supply Seasonic XP-860 Platinum||Laptop Power Brick
Software Windows 7||Windows 8
Yeah defiantly, still going to built the desk some of the desk, I don't want screw it all together then have that situation where the motherboard doesn't fit like I thought it would or anything like that. I just want everything to fit perfectly and nice. Buy as for basic cuts and installing where I want to put my fans.
Yeah, just build the desk, and drill holes and cut cable slots later.