• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad Flash HD 6870

nona

My system specs:

Motherboard: Intel DH55TC

Processor: Intel core i3 540

Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK 600 Watts PSU

GPU: AMD Radeon HIS 6870 IceqX 1 GB

I saved bios of 6870 with the help of GPU-Z and copied it to my desktop. Then I edited voltage with the help of RBE .I kept original bios unmodified. I made a bootable USB and flashed my 6870 with this edited bios and it worked fine. I played lots of game with this for one week. But after one week I flashed my GPU with a bios downloaded from TPU. This new downloaded bios is of same model HIS Radeon HD 6870. ATIFlash warned me not to flash as checksum of both bioses were different but I flashed it forcefully. Now I have black screen. Then I removed this GPU and put DVI cable in onboard video port and in motherboard's bios I set it to boot from onboard video port. Then I inserted bootable USB with original bios on it and restarted PC and choose to boot from USB buttttttt now it does not boot from USB, monitor says no signal. How would I restore original bios to GPU???

people say on forums that if you have bad bios flash then reflash it with the original one using on board video. I do not have another PCIe slot but I have a PCI slot and a Nvidia 9400 GT.

Please help friends please

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
install that 9400GT, but make sure the OS HDD is disconnected as a first step so you can just run off the USB Drive. Make sure to enable parameters right for the video card you want to flash (it is possible to accidently flash the 9400GT with the Radeon firmware, it would seem your checksum is what screwed up the card)

nona

install that 9400GT, but make sure the OS HDD is disconnected as a first step so you can just run off the USB Drive. Make sure to enable parameters right for the video card you want to flash (it is possible to accidently flash the 9400GT with the Radeon firmware, it would seem your checksum is what screwed up the card)

Thanks for the the response. I will try with 9400gt. With onboard video connected I removed HDD cables and tried to boot from USB but after selecting to boot from USB nothing happens. Is it necessary to use that 9400gt?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Thanks for the the response. I will try with 9400gt. With onboard video connected I removed HDD cables and tried to boot from USB but after selecting to boot from USB nothing happens. Is it necessary to use that 9400gt?

well in order to have your machine be able to have a Monitor display and enter the command code to flash the 6870, yes it is necessary unless if you have a Onboard Video adapter (Built into motherboard)

I have to ask you, why were you trying to flash your video card?

http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=34

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles//overclocking/vidcard/34/1

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2166/ATIFlash 3.99.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...cturer=HIS&model=HD+6870&interface=&memSize=0

it would help if you can provide all information off that video card youre trying to flash (there is like 1-3 tags on that card with a serial number too)

Last edited:

nona

well in order to have your machine be able to have a Monitor display and enter the command code to flash the 6870, yes it is necessary unless if you have a Onboard Video adapter (Built into motherboard)

I have to ask you, why were you trying to flash your video card?

http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=34

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2166/ATIFlash 3.99.html

Once I had the same GPU and that was good because that GPU never exceeded 60C under load and when idle that GPU stays at 37C but this one remains 40C and when I browes internet it goes to 52C and while gaming it goes to 80C, Its maximum voltage is 1.231V. So I thought that if I would flash its bios with the same model it will remain cool, so I selected a bios from TPU whose upper limit of voltage was 1.175V and flashed it and now all is messed up.

I have onboard video, because when I did not had this GPU I used to use that onboard video. so why USB is not booting up when I select to boot up from USB. I thought if any thing happen bad I will restore original bios but now.....

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Once I had the same GPU and that was good because that GPU never exceeded 60C under load and when idle that GPU stays at 37C but this one remains 40C and when I browes internet it goes to 52C and while gaming it goes to 80C, Its maximum voltage is 1.231V. So I thought that if I would flash its bios with the same model it will remain cool, so I selected a bios from TPU whose upper limit of voltage was 1.175V and flashed it and now all is messed up.

I have onboard video, because when I did not had this GPU I used to use that onboard video. so why USB is not booting up when I select to boot up from USB. I thought if any thing happen bad I will restore original bios but now.....

what drivers are you running for that video card? Also depending on the browser you might have Hardware Acceleration in the browser enabled.

Also have you ever cleaned the case and all fans of dust before?

ALso check my previous post for all the tools and procedures to flash the card back.

nona

what drivers are you running for that video card? Also depending on the browser you might have Hardware Acceleration in the browser enabled.

Also have you ever cleaned the case and all fans of dust before?

ALso check my previous post for all the tools and procedures to flash the card back.

Now I am using AMD Radeon HIS 6870 IceqX 1 GB DDR5 and I was trying to flash it with the bios which is enlisted at no. 6 at bios collection page of TPU.

I will read your posts to find a solution.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Now I am using AMD Radeon HIS 6870 IceqX 1 GB DDR5 and I was trying to flash it with the bios which is enlisted at no. 6 at bios collection page of TPU.

I will read your posts to find a solution.

ok you need to record the info off that dead video card first because each detail of every bios in that list should have the number that you exactly need for that card.

nona

ok you need to record the info off that dead video card first because each detail of every bios in that list should have the number that you exactly need for that card.

I am sorry but will you please explain little. What should be my next step.

"you need to record the info off that dead video card first because each detail of every bios in that list should have the number that you exactly need for that card"

I did not understand this. How would I record info from my dead GPU?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I am sorry but will you please explain little. What should be my next step.

"you need to record the info off that dead video card first because each detail of every bios in that list should have the number that you exactly need for that card"

I did not understand this. How would I record info from my dead GPU?

ok what I meant to say is Open the case of the computer, look at the dead video card itself, there should be 2-3 white tags on it with certain numbers on it including possibly a bar code, Write everything down. take those numbers and compare it to the details of each bios that is in the previous post I made.

The tags should look like one these on the back of your video card- just look at them and record everything possible number and letter for number and letter

http://media.bestofmicro.com/E/X/266217/original/6870 back.jpg

http://media.bestofmicro.com/E/U/266214/original/6850 vs his 6850 back.jpg

nona

ok what I meant to say is Open the case of the computer, look at the dead video card itself, there should be 2-3 white tags on it with certain numbers on it including possibly a bar code, Write everything down. take those numbers and compare it to the details of each bios that is in the previous post I made.

The tags should look like one these on the back of your video card- just look at them and record everything possible number and letter for number and letter

I got these numbers from the sticker on my GPU none of them matched to the listed bioses as far as I compared them.

SR2-21Q-A
SR2G05103
IGB M11-007 R
LF1131S 11059-068
W1032BABG-50-F
H687QN1G2M

And Bar Code is H120932212

nona

What if I find a match for those numbers. How would I flash it. USB is not booting.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
What if I find a match for those numbers. How would I flash it. USB is not booting.

you need to go into your motherboard bios to enable boot from USB device but first things first read the previous links ive posted, it gives you procedures to flash your video bios. I have a feeling you may have to request assistance from HIS on this because im not turning up anything on your specific card

if you have your motherboard manual there read it. on how to enter and change those settings.

nona

you need to go into your motherboard bios to enable boot from USB device but first things first read the previous links ive posted, it gives you procedures to flash your video bios. I have a feeling you may have to request assistance from HIS on this because im not turning up anything on your specific card

if you have your motherboard manual there read it. on how to enter and change those settings.

OK I read all those posts and according to them it should be very simple but that 9400gt is PCIe card and is not fitting in PCI slot. When I flashed it earlier it was booting from USB easily but now when I start PC and from boot menu I choose USB to boot from nothing happens. How it could happen if it booted from USB 5 min ago then what happened to it now?

nona

Now sometimes it booted from USB and when I launched ATIFlash -i command it says "adapter not found" . Now is there something I can do? How can TPU leave me alone in this situation???:banghead:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Now sometimes it booted from USB and when I launched ATIFlash -i command it says "adapter not found" . Now is there something I can do? How can TPU leave me alone in this situation???:banghead:

ok if your motherboard has a Graphics port on it to hook monitor up to use it. There might be parameters you have to force.

Ok it sounds like you need to make that USB flash drive bootable, aka like a boot disk, read those posts on how to make the USB drive a boot disk, once you do that you should be able to make ATIFlash work. but the thing is make sure the 6870 is in the PCI E Slot and you have your monitor hooked up to either a Onboard Video Adapter (up near where the USB ports are) or on a PCI Video card. If you are able to find the bios for that specific card great, but honestly if you have to compare the ones on the HIS site to the bios files on this site and select the one that matches your card the closest.

Last edited:

nona

ok if your motherboard has a Graphics port on it to hook monitor up to use it. There might be parameters you have to force.

Ok it sounds like you need to make that USB flash drive bootable, aka like a boot disk, read those posts on how to make the USB drive a boot disk, once you do that you should be able to make ATIFlash work. but the thing is make sure the 6870 is in the PCI E Slot and you have your monitor hooked up to either a Onboard Video Adapter (up near where the USB ports are) or on a PCI Video card. If you are able to find the bios for that specific card great, but honestly if you have to compare the ones on the HIS site to the bios files on this site and select the one that matches your card the closest.

eidairaman1, here is what I did-

1. Made a bootable USB.

2. Put atiflash and original bios of my GPU on it.

3. Restarted the PC and from motherboard's bios I selected motherboard's video adapter.

4. Pluged the bootable USB and started the PC and selected to boot from USB

5. PC booted from USB and when I type atiflash -i it showed me adapter not found. I repeated this process many times but same result.

On HIS website there are no bioses. My question is that, I have my original bios and the second bios which I flashed to GPU to make it dead then why I need to search a bios on HIS site??? I have my original bios but ATIFlash is not recognizing my dead GPU when I boot from bootable USB. If it would recognize I would restore my original bios again.

why atiflash is not recognizing my GPU and what should I do to make it recognize my GPU???

And I want to thank you for your support as I was also seeking help from other tech forums but no body is trying to help me.

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
you can try a bind flash

i flashed my 7970 with the wrong bios XD

but you put the usb stock to boot up first then on my mb you can see the lights light up and turn off when its past the bios etc

i use, atiflash -f -p 0 xxx.rom xxx name on the bios file

then enter wait like about 5mins then press the power button then see if it boots up with video

nona

you can try a bind flash

i flashed my 7970 with the wrong bios XD

but you put the usb stock to boot up first then on my mb you can see the lights light up and turn off when its past the bios etc

i use, atiflash -f -p 0 xxx.rom xxx name on the bios file

then enter wait like about 5mins then press the power button then see if it boots up with video

I booted from USB and I typed atiflash -f -p 0 Barts.rom (Barts.rom is my original bios) and waited for 15 min then power off the PC but still GPU is not showing anything. Its fan spin and it generate heat normally but does not show display now.

Last edited:

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
Hmm did you download 3.99 atiflash from the downloads here ?

So before the fan wouldn't spin up ?

Did you do the flash with just the 6870 in the first pci e slot ?

nona

Hmm did you download 3.99 atiflash from the downloads here ?

So before the fan wouldn't spin up ?

Did you do the flash with just the 6870 in the first pci e slot ?

Fan was spinning all time they never stopped.
Yes dead GPU in PCI-e slot and monitor's cord in motherboard's video adapter. I used ATIFlaash 3.99 but no success. I also tried to short EEPROM pins but all in vein. Nothing changed atiflash still say adapter not found.:banghead:

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software W 10 Pro
hmmm

have you tried just not using the onboard gpu and doing a blind flash with the card hooked up to the screen ?

i never tried to flash a card on the mb/cpu gpu

nona

hmmm

have you tried just not using the onboard gpu and doing a blind flash with the card hooked up to the screen ?

i never tried to flash a card on the mb/cpu gpu

No I didn't tried a blind flash. I don't know much about blind flash. bridging EEPROM was not successful because I think I did not connected the two pins correctly. I used a copper wire for bridging. I stopped connecting the pins for now but I will try again tomorrow. Please tell me about blind flash I will try this.

Doomy

don't short the pins you probly just burned the chip :banghead: pin shorting is not for 6870's
don't try a blind flash either you will need a working gpu

nona

don't short the pins you probly just burned the chip :banghead: pin shorting is not for 6870's
don't try a blind flash either you will need a working gpu

Ok I will not short them. But if burned the chip it should be completely dead but its fan is still spinning and it is generating heat. ATIFlash still says no adapter found. No one was replying so I tried to short the pins.:confused: