• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

External devices not working window 7

HappyPenguin

Earlier today my mother came to me telling me there was something wrong with her mouse. I checked and the LEDs weren't lit. I tried it on my computer, and it worked perfectly fine. Same thing happened to the keyboard. Then the monitor went out. I turned the power off and on, still no monitor. I checked the cables and turned the power off for a few minutes. When I turned it on again, the monitor worked and the keyboard worked, but when i got to the login screen, the keyboard and mouse were unresponsive. I turned it off and on again, no monitor this time.

My mom seems to think it's a virus because she was running a virus scan prior to it all not working and said it found something. It's at times like these I'm glad I have a laptop.

Can anyone give me some advice?

EDIT: Turned it on again. Got it to work for a bit. Logged in, and it froze upon trying to install device driver software.

Last edited:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Can you give us more details on the hardware in your mom's computer?
Could be a failing power supply or mobo or any number of things.

Oh ... and welcome to TPU. :toast:

More details , and you can try another usb port .

HappyPenguin

Thanks for the welcome. Sorry it took forever to respond. My laptop decided to ironically have problems at the same time... thank goodness for warranties.

As for my mom's computer, in the time it took me to respond, she decided to pay Geek Squad to fix it. It works now after however much she spent.