• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rog Matrix HD5870 voltage problem

XpRnz

Hey people,

Some time ago i started (trying) to overclock my ROG Matrix HD5870 2GB Platinum, have
been playing with all kinds of OC software like MSI Afterburner, Trixx, GPU tools and the like, etc. literally everything. The standard tool for doing this is apparently Itracker2, but that piece of junk software won't function properly in any way. I'm trying to look for a way to up the voltages so i can get to around 1000/1250, which the card should be perfectly able to take with it's beast cooler, i've seen people do it easily in tutorials. After weeks of tinkering i finally arrived at RBE to flash my bios, but after every possible try the GPU clocks stay at default (for example while playing a game), and voltage never goes above 1.2v, Also every other voltage reading utility never reads the voltage of this card properly (trixx) or is able to push it beyond that except for Itracker wich just isn't going to work on my setup.. i'm getting really annoyed by this as this card is meant to be overclocked, and desperately in need of some answers and hoping to find that here, anyone else have experience with this card?

Much thanks in advance..

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Do you have overdrive on in AMD CCC?

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Are you using the GPU voltage registers tab in RBE using the hash method? Thats the way to do it but if the registers tab is dimmed out it may be that your non ref card does not have a programable voltage controller.

XpRnz

No overdrive is off, i even set it back to factory defaults to make sure.

There are no voltage registers in RBE, nor is the button 'GPU Registers' unlocked. How can i find out it even has a programmable voltage controller? The RBE manual said the following:

"Note: When it comes to modding 5xx0-BIOSes (and possibly BIOSes of upcoming cards), changing the voltage requires more advanced BIOS work. The voltage table is empty for these cards (so this is totally normal for these cards) and changing the voltage in the PowerPlay table will possibly cause the computer to crash.
You can enter your desired clocks in the table but will have to leave the voltages in the PowerPlay table alone. Instead, you will need to use voltage register programming. See below and also this tutorial by scamps."

The tutorial (located here) isn't much of a help either as it requires the GPU register button to be unlocked. I can't believe it's being such a bitch, while itracker2 just does the job (it's an ASUS card btw), but on windows 7 that apparently doesn't work. It keeps looping with the same message: Itracker2 will return settings to default and then reboots the whole system.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
No overdrive is off, i even set it back to factory defaults to make sure.

There are no voltage registers in RBE, nor is the button 'GPU Registers' unlocked. How can i find out it even has a programmable voltage controller? The RBE manual said the following:

"Note: When it comes to modding 5xx0-BIOSes (and possibly BIOSes of upcoming cards), changing the voltage requires more advanced BIOS work. The voltage table is empty for these cards (so this is totally normal for these cards) and changing the voltage in the PowerPlay table will possibly cause the computer to crash.
You can enter your desired clocks in the table but will have to leave the voltages in the PowerPlay table alone. Instead, you will need to use voltage register programming. See below and also this tutorial by scamps."

The tutorial (located here) isn't much of a help either as it requires the GPU register button to be unlocked. I can't believe it's being such a bitch, while itracker2 just does the job (it's an ASUS card btw), but on windows 7 that apparently doesn't work. It keeps looping with the same message: Itracker2 will return settings to default and then reboots the whole system.

You don't have a programmable voltage controller, thats the point I am afraid. You can try voltage register programming but I would not recommend it, I have personally only come across 2 people who have tried it, both failed, one lost his card.

XpRnz

Sigh.. guess i have to give this one up then. Maybe with some workaround i can get itracker to work but i'm afraid its no use. It just lacks that few mhz to properly run some recent high end games on best settings. Maybe i'll sell this one and get a more recent card, anyways thanks for the help guys! Maybe if i have some succes i will post it here. Cheers.