• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3930k to 3770k ?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Gigabyte X79 boards have problems and were recalled. Stay away from them.

No, there was a recall for BIOS in a specific region, probably related to some character causing issues. They either offered BIOS to flash, or users could send in boards to be flashed.

Not a physical issue.

Gigabyte's press release:

http://www.gigabyte.tw/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=1077

That was... a YEAR ago. They had faulty VRM which was fixed in like a week after their launch.

But, Giga s UEFI is shit compared to Asus or ASRocks, making their boards poor in competition.

How many recent Gigabyte and ASUS boards have you used to come up with this conclusion? ASUS isn't doing so good with Windows8 support, actually, while I do not see these problems with my Gigabyte boards.

ASUS BIOSes offer more options for memory tweaking, Gigabyte offers more for power delivery options. They both have their good and bad sides.

W

WillRock

Stop shilling Gigabyte already

Gigabyte bias

Dave, I know you and Sin, I mean, StevenB, who secretly works for Gigabyte, give a double blowjob to Gigabyte. So I am not going to give shit. Please do not waste my extremely valuable time with the BS Giga tells you to spout out under cover, so that you get free Giga gear. kthxbai. ;)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Dave, I know you and Sin, I mean, StevenB, who secretly works for Gigabyte, give a double blowjob to Gigabyte. So I am not going to give shit. Please do not waste my extremely valuable time with the BS Giga tells you to spout out under cover, so that you get free Giga gear. kthxbai. ;)

Meh. If you think I'm biased, you're barking up the wrong tree. I simply asked what boards you tried, nothing else, not a big deal. I was just wondering what boards you had issue with, curious to see if I could replicate the problem, and if so, forward the info to get it fixed.

Instead, you respond like this...mkay, I get it. :p

Finding problems, reporting them to the OEMs, and trying to get them fixed, is part of what I do. That's all, but if you wanna make it appear to be more than that...OK, I'm a bit hurt you have this opinion of me, actually, but that's fine, I guess.

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
No, there was a recall for BIOS in a specific region, probably related to some character causing issues. They either offered BIOS to flash, or users could send in boards to be flashed.

Not a physical issue.

Gigabyte's press release:

http://www.gigabyte.tw/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=1077

How many recent Gigabyte and ASUS boards have you used to come up with this conclusion? ASUS isn't doing so good with Windows8 support, actually, while I do not see these problems with my Gigabyte boards.

ASUS BIOSes offer more options for memory tweaking, Gigabyte offers more for power delivery options. They both have their good and bad sides.

That is what Gigabyte is saying. I have 2 and they are worth a crap.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
That is what Gigabyte is saying. I have 2 and they are worth a crap.

How, specifically?

Seriously, if there is an issue, and it can be fixed, I'll forward the info. Gigabyte is pretty responsive to me requests with this stuff, and yes, I do have a good working relationship with them.

But I also enjoy the exact same relationship with ASUS and ASRock right now.

Just FYI, FUD is against the rules here on TPU. Just sayin'. :p

W

WillRock

Meh. If you think I'm biased, you're barking up the wrong tree. I simply asked what boards you tried, nothing else, not a big deal. I was just wondering what boards you had issue with, curious to see if I could replicate the problem, and if so, forward the info to get it fixed.

Instead, you respond like this...mkay, I get it. :p

Finding problems, reporting them to the OEMs, and trying to get them fixed, is part of what I do. That's all, but if you wanna make it appear to be more than that...OK, I'm a bit hurt you have this opinion of me, actually, but that's fine, I guess.

I do not have a Giga UEFI board. ShannonR says Giga s UEFI is still inferior. I am after her word since she used to work for EVGA and worked on the SR-2.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I do not have a Giga UEFI board. ShannonR says Giga s UEFI is still inferior. I am after her word since she used to work for EVGA and worked on the SR-2.

You mean HIM? :p Yes, him.

At one time, I would have agreed that Gigabyte's BIOS overall was inferior(before they debuted their UEFI BIOSes), but they waited to transition to UEFI, and that transition, for me, was pretty easy.

But whatever, I'm only interested in problems, and getting them fixed. What one board company staff thinks of a competitor's products doesn't weigh very much with me.

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt

At one time, I would have agreed that Gigabyte's BIOS overall was inferior(before they debuted their UEFI BIOSes), but they waited to transition to UEFI, and that transition, for me, was pretty easy.

But whatever, I'm only interested in problems, and getting them fixed. What one board company staff thinks of a competitor's products doesn't weigh very much with me.

The Gigabyte Z77 UEFI bios has everything you need. Is Asus' bios more extensive? Yes but Gigabyte's 3D bios is fine. This guy is just a hater, that's all for now folks!:nutkick:

W

WillRock

Erm, no. Shannon... HER. She now works for TT, and has been reviewing for Bjorn3D. Since she use to make those high end EVGA X58 boards, I take everthing she says as a rule of thump.

The Gigabyte Z77 UEFI bios has everything you need. Is Asus' bios more extensive? Yes but Gigabyte's 3D bios is fine. This guy is just a hater, that's all for now folks!:nutkick:

No, I am not. Read up.

You and your PureOC site is a terrible joke. You should be ashamed of youe existance. A 40-50 year old grown ass man... talking and acting like a 12 yr old.

Do you guys EVER actually discuss HW on PureOC forums? All I read is posts like "lol" and "Docs ass is clencing again". Just sad.

Last edited by a moderator:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Erm, no. Shannon... HER. She now works for TT, and has been reviewing for Bjorn3D. Since she use to make those high end EVGA X58 boards, I take everthing she says as a rule of thump.

Shannon's linked in page:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/shannon-robb/5/398/487

Note the recommendation from a fellow EVGA employee, saying "Shannon was the goto guy". Either dude he worked with made a big mistake there, or Shannon is a male. I do happen to know two other male Shannons, which is why I attribute that name to males myself, but I know it can be a female name as well.

That said, I have both ASUS and ASRock board reviews coming real soon. You can find my actual thought about their BIOSes and products there. I think each board maker has both good and bad products, and won't make blanket statements about any of them, unless I can post proof (rightly so though, as a reviewer). :p

Last edited:
W

WillRock

Shannon's linked in page:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/shannon-robb/5/398/487

Note the recommendation from a fellow EVGA employee, saying "Shannon was the goto guy". Either dude he worked with made a big mistake there, or Shannon is a male. I do happen to know two other male Shannons, which is why I attribute that name to males myself, but I know it can be a female name as well.

She is a girl, from XS forums. She is called punx over XS, all her posts sound like they were written by a girl, mellow I mean.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
She is a girl, from XS forums. She is called punx over XS, all her posts sound like they were written by a girl, mellow I mean.

I know. I'm on XS too. :p I'll send him/her a message and find out. What a weird way to introduce myself, but it can't hurt...too much :p.

:roll:

And yes, I could be wrong, but do not think I am here. Wouldn't be the first time though. :roll: I have been on these tech forums for longer than I care to admit. :p

W

WillRock

I know. I'm on XS too. :p I'll send him/her a message and find out. What a weird way to introduce myself, but it can't hurt...too much :p.

:roll:

And yes, I could be wrong, but do not think I am here. Wouldn't be the first time though. :roll: I have been on these tech forums for longer than I care to admit. :p

"28M looking for gay". :D Plays guitar, has a sexy LP. :D

I own a UD5 from Gigabyte. They "fixed" the problem. They did this by:
1) Removing overclocking.
2) Having a very open return policy with these boards.
3) Changing nothing physically.

Yeah. Four boards later (they fail about every three months on the dot), I hate what they did. The reason I asked about other examples was because a computer down for 4-5 days every 3 months was unacceptable, given my "overclock" was only setting the RAM to default 1600 MHz speeds.

By the way, GB never announced an official recall. Four tech services people all said the same thing. "There is no official recall, but we recommend that you update your BIOS to the latest revision immediately for stability issues."

Right now, the UD5 has 4 beta BIOSes. 4. To ask what they are smoking there is apt. I cannot recommend GB for X79. Their other boards generally only have a few tolerable failures (USB, bent pins, etc..), which are tolerable. Someone seems to have fallen asleep at the wheel with the X79 line.

Back on topic. This company bashing talk doesn't exactly address the OP's topic...

Edit.
That's odd. Shannon Robb speaks like most people, and doesn't gender identify in e-mails. The odd part is that the press releases don't identify gender. It doesn't matter (competent technical personnel are appreciated no matter what gender), but I guess I assumed there would be something identifying in the writing. I'm taking it as a step forward, if we are capable of removing gender and being unaware of it unless specifically searching. Woohoo progress!

Last edited: