• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Far Cry 3 E3 Demo vs retail. We got shafted

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
game developers have to walk a tightrope.

put in too much detail and scalability and people bitch about the game not being "optimized" because they can't max it out on their "high-end" computers. Put in too little and people bitch because it isn't graphically as nice as what they expect or what was show in a demo.

I say stfu and play the game. Farcry3 is a very fun game, the gameplay is good, the story is a little repetitive but still good. If you stop to compare what it looks like now to what it looked like in development you aren't playing the game right.

cough gta

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Still looks pretty damn good regardless, but it would be nice if PC players got the increase vegetation.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Game developers have to walk a tightrope.

Put in too much detail and scalability and people bitch about the game not being "optimized" because they can't max it out on their "high-end" computers. Put in too little and people bitch because it isn't graphically as nice as what they expect or what was show in a demo.

I say STFU and play the game. Farcry3 is a very fun game, the gameplay is good, the story is a little repetitive but still good. If you stop to compare what it looks like now to what it looked like in development you aren't playing the game right.

It's not as cut and dried as you make it sound. It's not mere frame rates with this game, it's the wild fluctuation of them causing choppiness in places and menu lag. It's also that the Uplay overlay adds even more FPS drop, but if you don't leave it enabled for at least the first play through, you lose Uplay points that can get you extras like special sp missions.

There's really only a handful of games that require special driver patches for performance, and this is one of them. Conversely there are plenty games that have great graphics that DO run smoothly. So when you see one like this that is more the exception than the norm, of course there are going to be complaints about it.

One thing that is clear is that they didn't do as good a job on lowering obscure textures (or streaming them) as well as they could have, because many times what causes severe frame drops is a mere subtle change of direction or cresting a hill which brings a lot of new terrain into view. Granted it has a vast, intricately detailed world, but it's also such games that need this type of optimization most.

I agree that it's a fun game for the most part, but it's more the ancillary parts of the game that are repetitive, not the story. The story and characters are a bit cheesy in the last half, but many probably expected that due to the psycho theme and how they wrote the FC2 story and characters.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
Does it look as good or better than FC 2 ?..

To be honest I haven't played FC2 since it released. I'd like to think this looks better but it's hard to remember. I do think FC3 looks more colorful than FC2. In fact when I play FC3 I think back to FC1.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
Game developers have to walk a tightrope.

Put in too much detail and scalability and people bitch about the game not being "optimized" because they can't max it out on their "high-end" computers. Put in too little and people bitch because it isn't graphically as nice as what they expect or what was show in a demo.

I say STFU and play the game. Farcry3 is a very fun game, the gameplay is good, the story is a little repetitive but still good. If you stop to compare what it looks like now to what it looked like in development you aren't playing the game right.

what not put a setting for the "not optimized" high end graphics as well as the not as nice as demo quality

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
It's not as cut and dried as you make it sound. It's not mere frame rates with this game, it's the wild fluctuation of them causing choppiness in places and menu lag. It's also that the Uplay overlay adds even more FPS drop, but if you don't leave it enabled for at least the first play through, you lose Uplay points that can get you extras like special sp missions.

There's really only a handful of games that require special driver patches for performance, and this is one of them. Conversely there are plenty games that have great graphics that DO run smoothly. So when you see one like this that is more the exception than the norm, of course there are going to be complaints about it.

One thing that is clear is that they didn't do as good a job on lowering obscure textures (or streaming them) as well as they could have, because many times what causes severe frame drops is a mere subtle change of direction or cresting a hill which brings a lot of new terrain into view. Granted it has a vast, intricately detailed world, but it's also such games that need this type of optimization most.

I agree that it's a fun game for the most part, but it's more the ancillary parts of the game that are repetitive, not the story. The story and characters are a bit cheesy in the last half, but many probably expected that due to the psycho theme and how they wrote the FC2 story and characters.

I have yet to experience noticeable framerate drops while playing FarCry3 and I've been playing it almost exclusively since it was released. The game has run smooth on my main rig with vsync set to 1 Frame. In fact, I can't even remember it dropping below 60FPS once.

I do have some complaints about the graphics, mainly the object pop-in that happens and the fact that when I exit the game and then reload it again without exiting to the desktop it seems to take forever and a day to load back into the game. But smoothness isn't really an issue for me.

what not put a setting for the "not optimized" high end graphics as well as the not as nice as demo quality

As I said, when developers have done that in the past, they've been crucified because the game "isn't optimized" because people can't run it on "high-end" hardware. Even when the developers come right out and say they know the highest settings are beyond what current hardware can reasonably handle, they designed the game that way to allow future hardware to really max out what the engine could do, they still get blasted by idiots saying the game isn't optimized.

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I have yet to experience noticeable framerate drops while playing FarCry3 and I've been playing it almost exclusively since it was released. The game has run smooth on my main rig with vsync set to 1 Frame. In fact, I can't even remember it dropping below 60FPS once.
Are you running max settings on at least 1080p with MSAA enabled? It could be mostly AMD cards that experience the frame drops. AMD came out with a driver patch for FC3, and it helped some, but there's still room for improvement.

I forgot to mention that I've tried using the FPS limiter in DxTory set to 40, then 45 after the AMD FC3 driver patch, which helps smooth things out some, but when the Uplay overlay is enabled the DxTory FPS counter doesn't show, so I don't even know if the FPS limiter is working.

It's rather clear there are some scaling and performance issues with the game. I've seen posts of the various graphics levels compared and there are things happening that shouldn't from one to the next. I'll try to find that thread.
I do have some complaints about the graphics, mainly the object pop-in that happens and the fact that when I exit the game and then reload it again without exiting to the desktop it seems to take forever and a day to load back into the game. But smoothness isn't really an issue for me.

Yep, loading and menus can be buggy at times. I also wonder if perhaps Nvidia has carefully tweaked their drivers more for consistent frame rates than visual stability (minimal pop-ins), because I really don't see pop-in issues on my 7970. I do know that Nvidia and AMD have varied greatly on some gens of cards as far as how texture strings are read too.

Anyway, I hope Ubi and AMD can come out with at least one more performance tweak each for this game, because it's too fun to give up on.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Are you running max settings on at least 1080p with MSAA enabled? It could be mostly AMD cards that experience the frame drops. AMD came out with a driver patch for FC3, and it helped some, but there's still room for improvement.

I forgot to mention that I've tried using the FPS limiter in DxTory set to 40, then 45 after the AMD FC3 driver patch, which helps smooth things out some, but when the Uplay overlay is enabled the DxTory FPS counter doesn't show, so I don't even know if the FPS limiter is working.

It's rather clear there are some scaling and performance issues with the game. I've seen posts of the various graphics levels compared and there are things happening that shouldn't from one to the next. I'll try to find that thread.

Yep, loading and menus can be buggy at times. I also wonder if perhaps Nvidia has carefully tweaked their drivers more for consistent frame rates than visual stability (minimal pop-ins), because I really don't see pop-in issues on my 7970. I do know that Nvidia and AMD have varied greatly on some gens of cards as far as how texture strings are read too.

Anyway, I hope Ubi and AMD can come out with at least one more performance tweak each for this game, because it's too fun to give up on.

Yes, settings are maxed@1080p including MSAA.

I know nVidia was having issues with the game when it first came out, but they got a patch out that pretty quickly fixed the issues. By the time I was able to get the game installed a few days after launch the new drivers were already out, so I didn't really have a chance to test with the old ones, but I've had nothing but a smooth experience so far.

The pop-in is noticeable, but I don't think it is that distracting. The only times I really notice it is when I first load a game and the room is empty, then everything just sort of pixilates in, or when I'm in a glider high up and look down at the ground there is a clear line where things are generating into the map where the engine is going from the far away "less Detailed" view that is clearly just a flat texture to the close up "more detailed" view with objects rendered.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
The pop-in is noticeable, but I don't think it is that distracting. The only times I really notice it is when I first load a game and the room is empty, then everything just sort of pixilates in, or when I'm in a glider high up and look down at the ground there is a clear line where things are generating into the map where the engine is going from the far away "less Detailed" view that is clearly just a flat texture to the close up "more detailed" view with objects rendered.

Actually that map loading and distant view from glider loading happens with AMD too. I thought you were talking about objects popping in just whilst driving, running on foot, etc.

Looks like yet another game Nvidia has outdone AMD on regarding drivers. I simply didn't want to risk another 600 series card having compat issues with my Panny TV though, and I got this 7970 at a great price, so.